READ THIS!!! Solution to crashes caused by overheating!! (Thanks for the sticky)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PWS41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 PWS41
Member since 2002 • 3224 Posts

[QUOTE="falstaff"]News Flash! Suspended power brick does not stop the deep freeze! Tony__c

I'm still freezing every 5-10 minutes.

Are you

a.) on a carpet
b.) enclosed area (a cabinet)
c.) Easily heated surface
suse920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 suse920
Member since 2005 • 1272 Posts
lol nice
Tony__c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Tony__c
Member since 2003 • 3896 Posts
[QUOTE="PWS41"]

[QUOTE="falstaff"]News Flash! Suspended power brick does not stop the deep freeze! Tony__c

I'm still freezing every 5-10 minutes.

Are you

a.) on a carpet
b.) enclosed area (a cabinet)
c.) Easily heated surface

No, No, and No.  For crying out loud, I've tried everything.  Vertical, horizontal...you name it. I don't even think it's a heating problem at all.  I even bought fans to use on it and that didn't help at all.
generaltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 generaltiger
Member since 2005 • 6608 Posts

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes). So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string. I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!

EDIT: I found an easier way to do this. I got a box with no cover and put the power supply on the edges.

Pics:

Power Brick 2

Power Brick 1

Goldeneyemaster

OMFG, lol, I did the exact same thing yesterday when my 360 was getting a little bit warm on the back. No crashes at all since I picked it up yesterday.
shad0w913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 shad0w913
Member since 2003 • 1670 Posts
Posted on my site :) http://www.the360report.com/index.php?mod=article&id=77
fritz311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 fritz311
Member since 2003 • 1725 Posts
mines on the carpet in a corner and its doing fine. no problems here
gunselenigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 gunselenigma
Member since 2005 • 234 Posts
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]I can't beleive you people are happy about this. It's a fault, a major one at that. This is the kinda fiddly thing you would maybe expect to do with a stereo from the 1980's or something. But a video games console which is supposedly so advanced and all, it's seriously dissapointing.

well said. And this "trick" does not work for me. It still crash's and its 58F in my house (oil ran out) so owell's
matttrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#158 matttrd
Member since 2004 • 5076 Posts
You are a genius.:lol:
Avatar image for Goldeneyemaster
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Goldeneyemaster
Member since 2003 • 6906 Posts
I think that there may be some other problems besides overheating for some people's Xbox 360s. I would suggest calling tech support to get it repaired because it is probably the system itself.  This is just one solution, and it seems like it has worked for some people (including me).
falstaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 falstaff
Member since 2002 • 577 Posts
I wonder if its software? Doesn't happen when I'm just goofin around 360 menu... I'm playin PDZ.
falstaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 falstaff
Are there any Mods workin tonight?
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Goldeneyemaster

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]I can't beleive you people are happy about this. It's a fault, a major one at that. This is the kinda fiddly thing you would maybe expect to do with a stereo from the 1980's or something. But a video games console which is supposedly so advanced and all, it's seriously dissapointing. gunselenigma

well said. And this "trick" does not work for me. It still crash's and its 58F in my house (oil ran out) so owell's

Your console must be freezing for some other reason.  Once again, this fix will defintley NOT work if the crashes arent caused by overheating.

falstaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 falstaff
http://forums.xbox.com/552599/ShowPost.aspx
sneschief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 sneschief
Member since 2004 • 724 Posts
Well, my Xbox 360 has been freezing with every game i play-about 15 minutes into any game it freezes, but i moved/cleaned everything around my xbox (it was already clear enough, but i did this just to make sure), and it still freezes, although this time it was around 30 minutes into game play.  I really hope this works temporarly before frys gets in more 360s so i can exchange it.  wish me luck! thanks
hfriscia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#165 hfriscia
Member since 2004 • 1138 Posts

[QUOTE="76ers"]start spreading this tip then?Goldeneyemaster

Yes start spreading it.  It really works and will keep down the whining of all the people on this forum.  Also this is GREAT news because this means the power supplies are bad, not the console itself which means M$ can send out good power supplies later to replace these crap ones.

Thanks for the tip, and hopefully it's just the power supply

hova63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#166 hova63
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts

F that I am not waiting that long I am going to Find away to get one before the Xmas

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Goldeneyemaster

http://forums.xbox.com/552599/ShowPost.aspx falstaff

Thanks to whoever posted the link to this thread.  Hopefully it will keep the whining down over there.

falstaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 falstaff
It only freezes when you play a game? Why?
Avatar image for PbrghSteelers86
PbrghSteelers86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 PbrghSteelers86
Member since 2004 • 443 Posts
I own the system myself, as do 3 other friends of mine. I've had no problems yet (or my friends) other than my XBOX does seem to emit heat hot enough to keep my room warm here in winter. I'm wondering if this will advance to a larger problem. I'm seriously contemplating the eBay route until a system that that doesn't act as a prototype is released. But I have no complaints yet, but I'm getting worried. I've had my system on for about 4 songs playing in CD and it's very hot. :evil:
jpKNOCKOUT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 jpKNOCKOUT
Member since 2005 • 4393 Posts
hm..i played for 7 hours today, it only freezed twice *During PDZ*

also when i put in some games into the 360, a msg comes up that says "please insert this disk into a 360 console"
sneschief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 sneschief
Member since 2004 • 724 Posts
Um, sadly, this method didnt work that well, i got a little more game play, but it only lasted like 30 minutes.  whats weird is i can play a dvd movie for like an hour (thats all i tested) without a hitch
Avatar image for baghdadbombers2
baghdadbombers2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 baghdadbombers2
Member since 2005 • 36 Posts
how did this and that other problem where when you move ur 360 while ur playing scratches the game get by MS??
ludachaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 ludachaz
Member since 2003 • 437 Posts
makes sence, as the heat of a PSU goes up the amount of power it makes goes down. Just like with PC power supplies, once you dont have enough power, you either crash, freeze or show artifacts and bugs. 360 needs either a more powerful power supply or better cooling on it.

swlover_13579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 swlover_13579
Member since 2004 • 781 Posts

This needs to be stickied! ASAP! Excellent solution! I did it myself on my PC. Not to mention that I'll be able to play my 360 as soon as I get it with no problems!

Goldeneye, you are a genius! Thanks a billion!

:D

Ace_Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Ace_Gunner
Member since 2004 • 157 Posts
I bought a little wood shelf for my wall behind my hdtv and put my brick on it. No crashes yet and we've been torturing this 360, I think somone has been playing non-stop since release between my brothers-in-law, kids, and me. I think it had a 30 minute rest when we all piled in the car to go pick up PDZ.Dougolson507

ROFLMAO! The only release the 360 got is when you all went to go get another game to torture it with summore!
Prestoner77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#176 Prestoner77
Member since 2005 • 2496 Posts

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes).  So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string.  I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!

EDIT:  I found an easier way to do this.  I got a box with no cover and put the power supply on the edges.

Pics:

Power Brick 2

Power Brick 1

EDIT 2:  This is just one way of doing it.  The main point of this fix is to get your PSU off the ground for maximum heat release. 

Also, it seems like most 360s are freezing due to overheating.  My Xbox 360 was freezing every 20 minutes. When I put the PSU on this box I left the console on for 7 hours without crashing (I finally decided to turn it off). 

NOTE: If your 360 is not freezing because of overheating, this fix WILL NOT work.

Goldeneyemaster

I'm thinking instead of doing that,  maybe just placing the adapter vertically on the floor will do the trick

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#177 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts

[QUOTE="PWS41"] [QUOTE="-Unreal-"]I can't beleive you people are happy about this. It's a fault, a major one at that. This is the kinda fiddly thing you would maybe expect to do with a stereo from the 1980's or something. But a video games console which is supposedly so advanced and all, it's seriously dissapointing. -Unreal-

unreal i'm not gonna call you a fanboy cause I know you have all the consoles. But to call the 360 crap is just stupid. These are generation one games for the system. A good portion are very unoptimized ports. But it's the time developers put into the games that give the games good quality. Look at COD2, its runs at a very solid 60fps with no slowdown in HD. Then there is Quake which uses the same Doom 3 engine the xbox could handle. Every game system has a rough launch. Also you need to remember not everyone has this problem. I for one dont have it.

I'm not gonna reply after this one becuase the mods might think I'm trolling. However, CoD2 on 360 doesn't look as good as it does on PC, plus it DOES have slowdown.
And Quake 4 is a mess on 360, both in detail and framerate. These aren't the only games that don't handle very well on the console.
Not trying to go against MS or Xbox or any of that kinda crap, I'm just saying the system has problems and it doesn't look good for it's future.
With that said, I'll still have my 360 when it's out.

Oh really, proof?

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Goldeneyemaster
bump
3_Doors_Down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#179 3_Doors_Down
Member since 2004 • 1228 Posts
I mine crashes, i'll try it out. Actually, i'll just put the brick in that position from the start. Better safe then sorry.
Icecold91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Icecold91
Member since 2005 • 50 Posts
how bout putting the xbox 360 on top of an open box or in mid-air?
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Goldeneyemaster

how bout putting the xbox 360 on top of an open box or in mid-air?Icecold91

But right now it looks like the power supply is overheating, not the actual console. 

xXSquadronXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 xXSquadronXx
Member since 2004 • 1428 Posts
OMFG  No excuse for overheating, or other technical issues.  MS:  STEP UP!!
pigmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 pigmonster
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Goldeneye, you should patent this and sell on ebay! !
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Goldeneyemaster

CaptainCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#185 CaptainCrazy
Member since 2002 • 6856 Posts
Did you happen to have the power supply laying on a thick carpet with the ventilation holes facing down????
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Goldeneyemaster

Did you happen to have the power supply laying on a thick carpet with the ventilation holes facing down????CaptainCrazy

no

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Goldeneyemaster

Goldeneye, you should patent this and sell on ebay! !pigmonster

That would be funny

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#188 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

wow, youre a genius!!!!!!!!!!!!

this will be the first thing i do when i get one

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Goldeneyemaster
bump
jloebick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 jloebick
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Forgive me if this has been explained, but I didn't read all 19 pages of posts, but how does the power supply over-heating cause the Xbox 360 to lock up? I would think if the power supply over-heats and "shuts down" it would cause the Xbox to shut down, not lock up. There seems to be evidence that keeping the power supply cool helps, but it doesn’t make sense to me.
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Goldeneyemaster

Forgive me if this has been explained, but I didn't read all 19 pages of posts, but how does the power supply over-heating cause the Xbox 360 to lock up? I would think if the power supply over-heats and "shuts down" it would cause the Xbox to shut down, not lock up. There seems to be evidence that keeping the power supply cool helps, but it doesn’t make sense to me.jloebick

Here is my guess: Because when the PSU overheats, it cant supply enough power to the system, so the system freezes.  The PSU still supplies the system with some power, just not enough to actually play a game.

DropOut_NW260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 DropOut_NW260
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Its sad that all these problems are going on. All this hype and what do you get? well most people get a good console but alot of folk are getting what they paid for=defective garbage.
JumpingMirrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#193 JumpingMirrior
Member since 2004 • 11495 Posts
My PM to Fiddlecub worked! I got it stickyed!
SparkyArki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 SparkyArki
Member since 2004 • 365 Posts
My friend has also had 2 games scratched could it be because the console was standing? what do you guys recommend?
mauvilto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 mauvilto
Member since 2005 • 384 Posts
did ya'll know this tip is already published on www.planetxbox360.com lol
mauvilto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 mauvilto
another thing that will work is to put it on a big metal that will be the ultimate freshing for ur power box and xbox... maybe this will help the one that have some metal table or something and really dont want a box on their fancy living room...
mauvilto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 mauvilto
about the scratching... if u have ur console on horizontal and want to put it on vertical u need to take the game out of the 360 to do it or else it will scratch... same if had in vertical moving to horizontal... and they say some consoles get their scratching on vertical only... hope it helps
Redstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Redstorm
Member since 2002 • 3170 Posts

It's good to see that many of your freezing problems have been solved or that you have found a temporary solution.  I tried putting my psu on an open box as pictured and put my 360 on another box, so that it sits up off the table about 2 inches (laying flat of course).  Neither of these two fixes have worked for my system. 

I spent 4 hours on hold (not all together) on 4 seperate calls to MS.  They are sending me a box so that I can send my 360 in for repair.  In the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can try? 

I went over to a friend's place last night, he has a 360 too.  It was nice to see how the machine should be running and at the same time it was disappointing because mine doesn't work. 

I haven't even turned my 360 on today, probably will do so as I can play for about 20 minutes before it freezes, but the thrill of having a new system is gone for now.

JumpingMirrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#199 JumpingMirrior
Member since 2004 • 11495 Posts

It's good to see that many of your freezing problems have been solved or that you have found a temporary solution. I tried putting my psu on an open box as pictured and put my 360 on another box, so that it sits up off the table about 2 inches (laying flat of course). Neither of these two fixes have worked for my system.

I spent 4 hours on hold (not all together) on 4 seperate calls to MS. They are sending me a box so that I can send my 360 in for repair. In the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can try?

I went over to a friend's place last night, he has a 360 too. It was nice to see how the machine should be running and at the same time it was disappointing because mine doesn't work.

I haven't even turned my 360 on today, probably will do so as I can play for about 20 minutes before it freezes, but the thrill of having a new system is gone for now.

Redstorm

Well, your freezing problem is probably not due to overheating. It sprobably a defect...I dont know anything you could do.
Redstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Redstorm
Member since 2002 • 3170 Posts
[QUOTE="Redstorm"]

It's good to see that many of your freezing problems have been solved or that you have found a temporary solution. I tried putting my psu on an open box as pictured and put my 360 on another box, so that it sits up off the table about 2 inches (laying flat of course). Neither of these two fixes have worked for my system.

I spent 4 hours on hold (not all together) on 4 seperate calls to MS. They are sending me a box so that I can send my 360 in for repair. In the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can try?

I went over to a friend's place last night, he has a 360 too. It was nice to see how the machine should be running and at the same time it was disappointing because mine doesn't work.

JumpingMirrior

Well, your freezing problem is probably not due to overheating. It sprobably a defect...I dont know anything you could do.

Thanks, guess I just have to wait for that box to come and then send the system in.  Very disappointing.