READ THIS!!! Solution to crashes caused by overheating!! (Thanks for the sticky)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Goldeneyemaster
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Goldeneyemaster
Member since 2003 • 6906 Posts

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes).  So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string.  I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!

EDIT:  I found an easier way to do this.  I got a box with no cover and put the power supply on the edges.

Pics (hosting provided by www.photojerk.com):

EDIT 2:  This is just one way of doing it.  The main point of this fix is to get your PSU off the ground for maximum heat release. 

Also, it seems like most 360s are freezing due to overheating.  My Xbox 360 was freezing every 20 minutes. When I put the PSU on this box I left the console on for 7 hours without crashing (I finally decided to turn it off). 

NOTE: If your 360 is not freezing because of overheating, the above fix WILL NOT work.

EDIT 3:Another member of Gamespot, howoldareyou, has discovered another solution to the 360 freezing that he claims solved the "three red lights of death problem" for him.

Here is his post:

"Helllo all, like many other unfortunate individuals who fell victim to the 3 redlights of terror I decided to do some deduction problem solving. My system flashed the 3 redlights while playing "Call of Duty" and refused to turn on for days afterwards. i did everything M.$ suggested (dissconnect everything and reconnect). It wasn't until I realized that maybe it's the source of power that is the problem (Follow me). If you are plugging your Xbox360 into a cheap surge protector or general plug strip you might want to plug your xbox into a very good quality protecctor or plug it in the wall. I plugged mine into the wall and VOILA it works flawlessy......plug it back into the power strip and it works for about 10 minutes...plug it back into the wall and VOILA it works perfect again. It's been running solid for 14 hours straight and no problems have occured in the past few days since it's been plugged into the wall

I think the power brick is overly sensitive to Good CLEAN power. A cheap protector or plug strip might not be providing the proper flow of power to the unit. Anyway, when I plug it into the strip, the xbox will start to do the 3 redlights (except the upper right one) which indicates a hardware failure. I'm troubled to think that the many people who returned their unit, only to get a new one that does the same thing, when the real problem is where they are plugging in their unit./ ANYWAY, it works for me...hope it works for you. provide feedback and let us know."

Here is a link howoldareyou's topic: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24054545

76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 76ers
Member since 2005 • 4747 Posts

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes).  So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string.  I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!Goldeneyemaster

kinda funny but if it works, then i'll try it if i ever crash...

WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts
My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes). So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string. I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!Goldeneyemaster
Yeah, that's exactly what I said in my tips topic, it seriously works.
76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 76ers
start spreading this tip then?
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WhiteSnake5000
Also, this would prove that the powerbricks are faulty, possibilly, not positive, but give it a 5 hour test with the brick sitting on the floor, and a 5 hour test where it's in the air. Interesting. I'll have to wait a few days before I get mine, right now we are using my friends, and his has some obvious issues. It hasn't crashed yet... but that thing puts out so much heat.
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Goldeneyemaster

[QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"]My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes).  So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string.  I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!76ers

kinda funny but if it works, then i'll try it if i ever crash...

Yes it works great because it allows the power supply to release heat in all directions.

Zaber123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Zaber123
Member since 2003 • 1159 Posts
That's awesome, who would think?  What gave you the idea in the first part to tie the power supple to a string and dangle it int he air?
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Goldeneyemaster

start spreading this tip then?76ers

Yes start spreading it.  It really works and will keep down the whining of all the people on this forum.  Also this is GREAT news because this means the power supplies are bad, not the console itself which means M$ can send out good power supplies later to replace these crap ones.

WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WhiteSnake5000
[QUOTE="Zaber123"]That's awesome, who would think? What gave you the idea in the first part to tie the power supple to a string and dangle it int he air?

I didn't expect anyone else to figure this out. I guess he pretty much thought the same thing I did, multi directional heat output. And I allways do it.
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Goldeneyemaster

That's awesome, who would think?  What gave you the idea in the first part to tie the power supple to a string and dangle it int he air? Zaber123

I just think very creatively when it comes to technology things like this for some reason.

iknowthings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 iknowthings
Member since 2005 • 805 Posts
My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes). So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string. I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!Goldeneyemaster

it crashed because not enough air could get it to cool it down so it had to crash to keep from overheating.
.....i think?
thebiddybop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 thebiddybop
Member since 2004 • 671 Posts

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes).  So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string.  I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!Goldeneyemaster

are you serious? I was actually pissed that the spot in my entertainment center made me suspend my power plug cuz the plug wasnt long enough to hit the ground. I kept thinking that it might seperate itself cuz it's not light weight. Well now I'm kinda glad my enterainment center has a built in perk.

Joe.

Dougolson507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Dougolson507
Member since 2005 • 241 Posts
I bought a little wood shelf for my wall behind my hdtv and put my brick on it. No crashes yet and we've been torturing this 360, I think somone has been playing non-stop since release between my brothers-in-law, kids, and me. I think it had a 30 minute rest when we all piled in the car to go pick up PDZ.
wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts
it makes sence if you think about it, caus the power brick is just over heating. i use to have to do somthing like that w/ my old ass laptop.
GenAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 GenAlpha
Member since 2004 • 648 Posts

the power brick should have been amde with more ventilation holes or sometin

The thing already has a fan inside of it, i don't how it runs so hot

76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 76ers

[QUOTE="76ers"]start spreading this tip then?Goldeneyemaster

Yes start spreading it.  It really works and will keep down the whining of all the people on this forum.  Also this is GREAT news because this means the power supplies are bad, not the console itself which means M$ can send out good power supplies later to replace these crap ones.

not only is it a crappy.. it's like a f*****g brick!!!

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Goldeneyemaster
[QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"]

[QUOTE="76ers"]start spreading this tip then?76ers

not only is it a crappy.. it's like a f*****g brick!!!

That is why it is called a power brick!  I am sure MS will send out new ones pretty soon just like they did with original xbox.

fleasquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 fleasquire
Member since 2004 • 2001 Posts
hmmmmm, my solution would be to call microsoft and get it replaced
mjsoccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mjsoccer
Member since 2004 • 774 Posts

get a sticky

Tipsy2K4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tipsy2K4
Member since 2004 • 2033 Posts
My power brick doesnt let out that much heat and last night my 360 was kinda hot so i put the fan on it all night when i was playing and it got cool.Today the 360 does not get hot so i dont need the fan anymore and the power brick deosnt get hot either, my 360 hasnt crashed either.
mjsoccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mjsoccer
Member since 2004 • 774 Posts
we need to tell everyone
Orocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Orocle
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts

Perhaps one of those small fans ? im buying one and pointing it at my 360 when i play.

76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 76ers
but i am a little confused... the air holes are on the sides... not the bottom.... so whats the point os dangling it???
76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 76ers

Perhaps one of those small fans ? im buying one and pointing it at my 360 when i play.

Orocle

buy some extra batteries!:D

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Goldeneyemaster

we need to tell everyone mjsoccer

I agree I am sick of all those "My 360 just crashed!!!!!" topics when there is a very easy fix.

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Goldeneyemaster

but i am a little confused... the air holes are on the sides... not the bottom.... so whats the point os dangling it???76ers

Because it still releases heat through the plastic, so dangling it makes it release heat on all sides.

thegoldengrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thegoldengrunt
Member since 2005 • 1221 Posts
This is the same stratagey I use when I drag out my old Nintendo. It always does the trick. It seems odd that a NES could overheat but mine does and quite frankly terrifys me. I emulate now :(
wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts
ha watch this hole power brick thing lead to microsoft sending ppl new power cords again:lol: that would be funny!
76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 76ers

even though mine hasn't crashed yet... i will do this tip... where is a great place to dangle it (where do i put the string)???

NickUK2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NickUK2001
Member since 2003 • 381 Posts

I read that wrong and thought you said you were suspending your 360 from a piece of string for a minute :o  lol
Dandaman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Dandaman22
Member since 2005 • 624 Posts
noob question, but what exactly do you mean by the "power supply"?
my_name_is_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 my_name_is_ron
Member since 2005 • 5549 Posts
maybe microsoft should consider bundling power brick danglers with each console to eliminate this problem...
76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 76ers
they shoould create a stand for the 360 so the heat can be release from the bottom portion of the system
76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 76ers

they shoould create a stand for the 360 so the heat can be release from the bottom portion of the system76ers

and maybe (probly not) for the power supply...

my_name_is_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 my_name_is_ron
Member since 2005 • 5549 Posts

seeing as it stands vertical anyway i doubt having one more small side on display wil;l make a big difference in cooling down

76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 76ers

they shoould create a stand for the 360 so the heat can be release from the bottom portion of the system76ers

and maybe (probly not) for the power supply...

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Goldeneyemaster
Ok guys I got some pics of an easier way of doing this.  They're in my original post on the first page.
76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 76ers
ok thanks this will help^
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Goldeneyemaster
Well my 360 as been on for 4 hours so far without crashes.  Before it was crashing every 20 minutes.
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Goldeneyemaster

noob question, but what exactly do you mean by the "power supply"? Dandaman22

The huge "Power Brick" that comes with the console that is connected to the power cord.

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#41 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes). So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string. I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!

EDIT: I found an easier way to do this. I got a box with no cover and put the power supply on the edges.

Pics:

Power Brick 2

Power Brick 1

Goldeneyemaster

Dude you rock, you know how many people you are going to stop whining with this simply idea. A sticky AND a novel prize for you. = D
76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 76ers

i started posting ur tips on other sites and ppl are starting to calm down

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Goldeneyemaster
[QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"]

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes). So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string. I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!

EDIT: I found an easier way to do this. I got a box with no cover and put the power supply on the edges.

Pics:

Power Brick 2

Power Brick 1

Oemenia

Dude you rock, you know how many people you are going to stop whining with this simply idea. A sticky AND a novel prize for you. = D

Hey thanks a lot,  I also think this should be stickied, people are STILL starting topics about how their 360s keep crashing.  I am tired of it!

LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
its gets better air flow this way.
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Goldeneyemaster

i started posting ur tips on other sites and ppl are starting to calm down

76ers

Good

76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 76ers

i think that it would also help if there was a solution for xbox 360 overheating, not only the power supply...

goldeneyemaster any ideas???

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Oemenia
There are riots in here right now due to it crashing, be proud you are going to stop them!

But yeah, how well has this worked for everybody?
76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 76ers

[QUOTE="Oemenia"] There are riots in here right now due to it crashing, be proud you are going to stop them!

But yeah, how well has this worked for everybody?
[/QUOTE

i havent crashed yet but i have started using this idea because i dont wanna see my 360 freeze

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Goldeneyemaster

i think that it would also help if there was a solution for xbox 360 overheating, not only the power supply...

76ers

Well you could just do pretty much the same thing as this.  Just find a way to get the system off the ground.  Maybe put a small piece of wood under the front and under the back of the system (when it is vertical) so it will be a few inches off the ground.  I also think that the system is not overheating, just the PSU.

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Oemenia

76ers

There have been two problems so far, random crashing and the ever so vague 'overheating' (for example the XBOX may overheat but still play or its the PSU thats overheating and still playing etc...). But yeah, the latter is very rare and so is the former to a certain extent however that longer is a problem.