Question concerning the BBC iplayer announcement

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Same_Jeans_On

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Same_Jeans_On
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts

After the announcement that BBC iplayer would not be coming to xbox 360 because of the fact that;

" The BBC is a public service broadcaster, funded by a licence fee from the British public; as such, the iPlayer cannot appear on a subscription based service without contradicting the organisation's remit."

Yet this makes me wonder how this can be the reason it is not being brought to Xbox Live for 2 reasons;

1. The iPlayer is available to be used through your television if you are a virgin media customer which is a subscription based service.

2. Why can't the iPlayer just be made available to both gold and silver members therefor eliminating the problem that it is going to a subscription based service.

Any explanations or comments on this are welcomed!:)

oclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 oclane
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts

i think it would be a good idea but its unfortunate microsoft demanded that the service only be availible to live gold members which is of course against the whole point of the service and the BBC its self

it would make sense if it was availible for both but its microsofts profitering

Same_Jeans_On

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Same_Jeans_On
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
i think the idea that it's only available to gold members is a bit greedy on microsofts part, but i don't understand why it can't be possible considering the fact it is already available on a subscription based service such as virgin media.
sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

was gonna post about this myself the reason is microsoft do not want to give it away for free (to silver members) which the bbc disagreed on. so altough you pay your licence fee microsoft want you to cough up for gold to use this service. what microsoft fail to understand is that most gold or siver members for that matter have the internet so there is a high possability that most of these users have a pc which in turn means they can use iplayer on that. really stupid imo.

this could have been put on the dash for nothing, although i love my 360 microsoft are really pushing there luck and if they are not carefull the could up losing alot of users by the time they release a new console in a few years time (new console and estimated time is speculated and not based on fact before you all start)

have just read aboutthis in one of the 360 mags.

Ryan_as

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Ryan_as
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts

Microsoft don't want to make it for Gold and Silver, they want to keep it Gold 'exclusive' because somewhere in their heads, Microsoft believe that Silver members would be swayed to spend £5 specifically to do something which requires them to turn on their computer/laptop and type in BBC iPlayer on google. Microsoft are undoubtedly marketing geniuses.