QUESTION ABOUT THE HDMI with XBOX 360

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodofWar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GodofWar23
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
So....here it is....is there any point in having the HDMI cables for the 360 except for the fact that its better for the HD DVD's (which btw is an extra $200to have) ? xbox 360 uses regular 9 GB DVD's for its gamesso theres no point in using HDMI there.....it wont help much cept for the movies.......
Avatar image for SentryGunner411
SentryGunner411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SentryGunner411
Member since 2007 • 1047 Posts

If you have a 1080p tv, then there's a point.

Cobalt75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Cobalt75
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts

The games are in 1080i or 1080p, so HDMI does make a difference. DVD space only comes up with movies, not games since alot of the textures and sounds are repeated and can be compressed.

hcho3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hcho3
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

1080P HDTVs are very expensive. So, it is unlikely that most of people will even own 1080P HDTV at this point.

GodofWar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GodofWar23
no xbox 360games r made to be played in 720p/1080p so the hdmi is completelypointlesss!!!
hcho3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hcho3
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

no xbox 360games r made to be played in 720p/1080p so the hdmi is completelypointlesss!!!GodofWar23

HDMI is the easiest and bestway to enjoy your 1080P on your 1080P HDTV.

GodofWar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GodofWar23
xbox 360 games r not in 1080p/1080i
GodofWar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GodofWar23
so lemme get this straight still.....the hdmi for the xbxo 360 is basically mainly useful for the movies and not for games....becuz the games arent in HDDVD or bluray so they wont look nearly as good as they would if they were on either of those formats....
GodofWar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GodofWar23
can someone confirm my last comment plz
q8hr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 q8hr
Member since 2004 • 5354 Posts

so lemme get this straight still.....the hdmi for the xbxo 360 is basically mainly useful for the movies and not for games....becuz the games arent in HDDVD or bluray so they wont look nearly as good as they would if they were on either of those formats....GodofWar23

Its basicly for movies or people who want to use HDMI. Its just there for show really..nothing big at all.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
Wait... so most of the games on the 360 only run at 720p... so then what's the point of HDMI? Does it make the picture quality any clearer than standard component cables?
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

[QUOTE="GodofWar23"]so lemme get this straight still.....the hdmi for the xbxo 360 is basically mainly useful for the movies and not for games....becuz the games arent in HDDVD or bluray so they wont look nearly as good as they would if they were on either of those formats....q8hr

Its basicly for movies or people who want to use HDMI. Its just there for show really..nothing big at all.

Agreed. HDMI is to put it bluntly a Trojan Horse for HDCP, a copy protection scheme that they hope will curb piracy. Yes, there are technical advatnages to the cable, but they are hardly a jump from a VGA cable for video, and Fiberoptic for audio.

Don't believe the hype.

q8hr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 q8hr
Member since 2004 • 5354 Posts
[QUOTE="q8hr"]

[QUOTE="GodofWar23"]so lemme get this straight still.....the hdmi for the xbxo 360 is basically mainly useful for the movies and not for games....becuz the games arent in HDDVD or bluray so they wont look nearly as good as they would if they were on either of those formats....TheCrazed420

Agreed. HDMI is to put it bluntly a Trojan Horse for HDCP, a copy protection scheme that they hope will curb piracy. Yes, there are technical advatnages to the cable, but they are hardly a jump from a VGA cable for video, and Fiberoptic for audio.

Don't believe the hype.

Honestly its only a real crack on would say theres a difference. Because really..i've used them both on big tv's and I could not notice anything. It does come in handy for movies yes..but for gaming? Its a myth.

GodofWar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GodofWar23
SEE THATS WHAT IVE BEEN TRYING TO TELL EVERY1....THAT THE HDMI IS JUST FOR MOVIES ND ITS NO USE FOR GAMES BUT ALL FANBOYS KEEP SAYING IM WRONG!!!
creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts
[QUOTE="q8hr"]

[QUOTE="GodofWar23"]so lemme get this straight still.....the hdmi for the xbxo 360 is basically mainly useful for the movies and not for games....becuz the games arent in HDDVD or bluray so they wont look nearly as good as they would if they were on either of those formats....TheCrazed420

Don't believe the hype.

the audio capabilities of hdmi kill optical....

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="q8hr"]

[QUOTE="GodofWar23"]so lemme get this straight still.....the hdmi for the xbxo 360 is basically mainly useful for the movies and not for games....becuz the games arent in HDDVD or bluray so they wont look nearly as good as they would if they were on either of those formats....creekfan_basic

Don't believe the hype.

Umm, no they don't "kill" optical. 5.1 Dolby Digital is perfectly fine thank you. Most people cannot tell the difference in audio quality above the 44.1 KHz, 16-bit threshold.

creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts
[QUOTE="creekfan_basic"][QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="q8hr"]

Don't believe the hype.

Umm, no they don't "kill" optical. 5.1 Dolby Digital is perfectly fine thank you. Most people cannot tell the difference in audio quality above the 44.1 KHz, 16-bit threshold.

Please comment when you truly know what you are talking about...most people don't notice a difference because most people are using cheap speakers and crappy receivers...trust me, on a good sound system the difference between a 648kbps DD5.1 feed and a 4.5Mbps uncompressed PCM feed is startling when it comes to dynamic range, richness of sound and bass response. I have a hard time going back to old DD5.1, it sounds compressed and doesn't give you nearly the soundfield a PCM mix will give....I also do a lot of recording work, and on a proper set up its real easy to hear the difference between a 24bit/48khz recording and a 16bit/44.1khz recording when it comes to dynamic range, headroom, clarity, etc.

So while DD5.1 might be prefectly fine for you, if you actually had a proper experience with HDMI provided sound you would be eating your own words.....

Grende1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Grende1
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts

so lemme get this straight still.....the hdmi for the xbxo 360 is basically mainly useful for the movies and not for games....becuz the games arent in HDDVD or bluray so they wont look nearly as good as they would if they were on either of those formats....GodofWar23

You are completely wrong. HD-DVD and Bluray are just storage devices. They have nothing to do with the graphics. The quality of graphics come from the console's hardware, most importantly the GPU, although RAM and processing power also influence. A game on HD-DVD or Bluray will not look any better or worse than a game on DVD9 or installed to a HDD. They are all just storage devices.

HDMI is just a digital video output with digital audio on the same connector. HDMI does not make the graphics better, it just uses a digital signal. The audio on HDMI, however, is better than audio on component, etc. Where HDMI comes into play is that it is the only input that the HDCP protection built in that may or may not go into effect by a rumored 2010 or 2011. If it does go into effect, then HD-DVD movies and Bluray movies will be downscaled to 480p (the same as current DVD movies) when not using HDMI. Also, with the 360's HD-DVD add-on. Movies cannot be upscaled to 1080p on component. It must be through VGA or HDMI. Some claim that the VGA can wash out colors, so HDMI may be preferable for those. Also, HDMI is common on all new HDTVs. Some HDTVs may not have the VGA jack. So, if you have a 360, a stand alone HD-DVD or Bluray player, and an HD cable box, you may have a problem with not enough jacks. Many HDTVs only come with 1 component but multiple HDMI jacks. So, having the 360 on HDMI, frees up the component for the HD cable box, for example.

Again, HD-DVD or Bluray do NOT make GAMES have better graphics. That is a myth. HD movies take up a lot of space and won't fit on a DVD. If they did, then DVD would look comparable to the HD-DVD/Bluray (more or less as there are other factors I'm not going to go into). HD-DVD and Bluray are important for there disc size, not because they magically make games look better.

OWUaaronTSi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OWUaaronTSi
Member since 2003 • 252 Posts

no xbox 360games r made to be played in 720p/1080p so the hdmi is completelypointlesss!!!GodofWar23

wtf?

SmallPox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SmallPox91
Member since 2005 • 109 Posts
To the guy that says that the 360 games are not made for 1080p. The Darkness is 1080p, check the back of the box if you don't believe me.
iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts

well ive got a tv which allows me to go at 1080i and so far it hasnt shown a big diff from regular tv is it just me or is it.

maybe i havent plugged in or set everything wat i ve done so far is

Switch the plug in the bak to HD TV

set 1080i on my 360

and set HD on the tv itself

am i missing anything cause im very dissipointed with hd as for now my tv's contrast ratio is 6000:1 by the way

ViceVersa_k20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ViceVersa_k20
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
well i have a hdtv with 1080i and i have the HDMI but when i switch the setting to play on 1080p it trips out so i play mine on 1080i witch is better to me...and for the dude that said games only play on 720p thats not true look at the back of the game and at the bottom it tells you what it could be played on...
kevint1818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 kevint1818
Member since 2005 • 2093 Posts

[QUOTE="GodofWar23"]so lemme get this straight still.....the hdmi for the xbxo 360 is basically mainly useful for the movies and not for games....becuz the games arent in HDDVD or bluray so they wont look nearly as good as they would if they were on either of those formats....Grende1

You are completely wrong. HD-DVD and Bluray are just storage devices. They have nothing to do with the graphics. The quality of graphics come from the console's hardware, most importantly the GPU, although RAM and processing power also influence. A game on HD-DVD or Bluray will not look any better or worse than a game on DVD9 or installed to a HDD. They are all just storage devices.

HDMI is just a digital video output with digital audio on the same connector. HDMI does not make the graphics better, it just uses a digital signal. The audio on HDMI, however, is better than audio on component, etc. Where HDMI comes into play is that it is the only input that the HDCP protection built in that may or may not go into effect by a rumored 2010 or 2011. If it does go into effect, then HD-DVD movies and Bluray movies will be downscaled to 480p (the same as current DVD movies) when not using HDMI. Also, with the 360's HD-DVD add-on. Movies cannot be upscaled to 1080p on component. It must be through VGA or HDMI. Some claim that the VGA can wash out colors, so HDMI may be preferable for those. Also, HDMI is common on all new HDTVs. Some HDTVs may not have the VGA jack. So, if you have a 360, a stand alone HD-DVD or Bluray player, and an HD cable box, you may have a problem with not enough jacks. Many HDTVs only come with 1 component but multiple HDMI jacks. So, having the 360 on HDMI, frees up the component for the HD cable box, for example.

Again, HD-DVD or Bluray do NOT make GAMES have better graphics. That is a myth.HD movies take up a lot of space and won't fit on a DVD. If they did, then DVD would look comparable to the HD-DVD/Bluray (more or less as there are other factors I'm not going to go into). HD-DVD and Bluray are important for there disc size, not because they magically make games look better.

CORRECT.

In fact, most of the stuff previous posters were posting was completely out of reality. Here are some simple and fast clarifications:

1. 360 games are in 720p/1080i.

2. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray format games do not equal BETTER graphics for those games.

3. 360 can upscale games to 1080p through component, VGA, and HDMI.

4. HDMI is an all digital signal, meaning no matter what resolution (1080p/i, 720p), or be it a game or a movie, HDMI will make what you're looking at look slightly to significantly better because there is less signal loss on a digital connection as opposed to a VGA/component connection.

5. 1080p TV's are no longer outrageously expensive. A 56" LED 1080p Samsung set can be had for $2399.

6. HDMI is not NECESSARILY the trojan horse for HDCP on 360 at least, especially since HDMI'd 360's and HD-DVD add-ons are not even HDCP equipped, even with HDMI!

7. 360's HD-DVD add-on can upscale DVD's to 1080p through VGA or HDMI.

8. Read a bit before postig incorrect and misleading information in topics like these, lol.

I mean it's like when I'm with some people I know, and were walking around, I look at a car and I say "Look at that xxxx xxxx, its a really fast car, it can go like xxxxx and costs xxxx. And then my friend is like "It's red!". I hope this clears some stuff up, Read aroud ppl, please.

ur2fat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ur2fat
Member since 2005 • 44 Posts
well when i had an HDTV it ran the games on 1080p or 1080i or wat ever and i think it made a big difference it made everything HD plus HDTVs help with games like dead rising where on a normal tv u cant see the lettering...
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
[QUOTE="Grende1"]

[QUOTE="GodofWar23"]so lemme get this straight still.....the hdmi for the xbxo 360 is basically mainly useful for the movies and not for games....becuz the games arent in HDDVD or bluray so they wont look nearly as good as they would if they were on either of those formats....kevint1818

Again, HD-DVD or Bluray do NOT make GAMES have better graphics. That is a myth.HD movies take up a lot of space and won't fit on a DVD. If they did, then DVD would look comparable to the HD-DVD/Bluray (more or less as there are other factors I'm not going to go into). HD-DVD and Bluray are important for there disc size, not because they magically make games look better.

CORRECT.

In fact, most of the stuff previous posters were posting was completely out of reality. Here are some simple and fast clarifications:

2. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray format games do not equal BETTER graphics for those games.

4. HDMI is an all digital signal, meaning no matter what resolution (1080p/i, 720p), or be it a game or a movie, HDMI will make what you're looking at look slightly to significantly better because there is less signal loss on a digital connection as opposed to a VGA/component connection.

5. 1080p TV's are no longer outrageously expensive. A 56" LED 1080p Samsung set can be had for $2399.

6. HDMI is not NECESSARILY the trojan horse for HDCP on 360 at least, especially since HDMI'd 360's and HD-DVD add-ons are not even HDCP equipped, even with HDMI!

8. Read a bit before postig incorrect and misleading information in topics like these, lol.

I mean it's like when I'm with some people I know, and were walking around, I look at a car and I say "Look at that xxxx xxxx, its a really fast car, it can go like xxxxx and costs xxxx. And then my friend is like "It's red!". I hope this clears some stuff up, Read aroud ppl, please.

Yea this issue has prolly the most confusion surrounding it. Soething to add though. HDCP is already in affect in all hdmi cables and equipped devices. If your tv has an hdmi input then you need not worry but if your using something like dvi, then you hve to start worrying about your tv or monitor having hdcp.

adaon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 adaon1
Member since 2006 • 50 Posts

So....here it is....is there any point in having the HDMI cables for the 360 except for the fact that its better for the HD DVD's (which btw is an extra $200 to have) ? xbox 360 uses regular 9 GB DVD's for its gamesso theres no point in using HDMI there.....it wont help much cept for the movies.......GodofWar23

xbox 360 games r not in 1080p/1080iGodofWar23

You sir, are a f*cktard. None of your statements are true.

• All Xbox 360 games run in 720p.
  • Most Xbox 360 games run in 1080i and some can be upscaled to 1080p (ex. Lost Planet, NBA Homecourt, and the Darkness).
  • If you put 720p content on an HD-DVD or Blu-ray disc, it doesn't magically become 1080i/p. They are just disc formats that hold more space than standard dvd's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d27a0be87356
deactivated-5d27a0be87356

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 deactivated-5d27a0be87356
Member since 2007 • 533 Posts

[QUOTE="GodofWar23"]no xbox 360games r made to be played in 720p/1080p so the hdmi is completelypointlesss!!!adaon1

So....here it is....is there any point in having the HDMI cables for the 360 except for the fact that its better for the HD DVD's (which btw is an extra $200 to have) ? xbox 360 uses regular 9 GB DVD's for its gamesso theres no point in using HDMI there.....it wont help much cept for the movies.......GodofWar23

xbox 360 games r not in 1080p/1080iGodofWar23

You sir, are a f*cktard. None of your statements are true.

• All Xbox 360 games run in 720p.
  • Most Xbox 360 games run in 1080i and some can be upscaled to 1080p (ex. Lost Planet, NBA Homecourt, and the Darkness).
  • If you put 720p content on an HD-DVD or Blu-ray disc, it doesn't magically become 1080i/p. They are just disc formats that hold more space than standard dvd's.

Actually some 360 games are 1080p, like Virtual tennis.

All 720p content can be played at 1080i since less lines are displayed onscreen at a time. 1080i is split in two uneven fields to cheat the eye into thinking it sees 1080 lines of res, the first 540 lines flash onto the screen quickly followed by the other 540 lines, in etremely rapid succession. Most people agree that this doesn't look as good as a full constant 720p. Also a tv set can't display less lines than it natively has, if you have a 1080p set, the tv has 1080 horisontal lines from top to bottom and must fill them even if you feed it 480p, therefore all content will be upscaled by your set to its native resolution, feeding it the best possible resolution your source can dish out means it has less upscalling to do and will result in a better image.

On a side note, neither the PS3 or the 360 can really do 1080p without having to sacrifice image quality, like anti-aliasing. To the human eye a game with anti-aliasing and more details per pixels will look much better than one in 1080p, which is why both Sony and Ms are not releasing content in 1080p, unless the game doesn't require much horsepower.

kevint1818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 kevint1818
Member since 2005 • 2093 Posts
[QUOTE="kevint1818"][QUOTE="Grende1"]

[QUOTE="GodofWar23"]so lemme get this straight still.....the hdmi for the xbxo 360 is basically mainly useful for the movies and not for games....becuz the games arent in HDDVD or bluray so they wont look nearly as good as they would if they were on either of those formats....Miguel16

CORRECT.

Yea this issue has prolly the most confusion surrounding it. Soething to add though. HDCP is already in affect in all hdmi cables and equipped devices. If your tv has an hdmi input then you need not worry but if your using something like dvi, then you hve to start worrying about your tv or monitor having hdcp.

Yes. But only new stuff. Old HDMI inputs and cables may not have HDCP.

GodofWar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GodofWar23
i dunno im srry guys if i posted incorrect info but im just saying this becuz i know a whole bunch of 360 users who say the hdmi makes no diff on there games....its only really good for the movies they watch in HD DVD players....