PS4 does not use DDR5 RAM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
I'm not trying to upset anyone I would just like to inform you properly. If you do your research in which I did you would find that DDR4 may be soon to come out but only for high end computers which would be mainly servers. Now the video memory is DDR5 which is what they have in the GTX 690 video card. If you disagree then please prove it to me because I would like to know. Because if they do use DDR5 RAM then yes PS4 would be super fast but definitely not the case. I'm assuming XBOX ONE is going to be using an AMD CPU? Now since we know that they are going to be using DDR3 do we know how many MHz it is going to be? And do we know what size RAM chips because that all plays into the calculation of speed. Is it going to be 8GB, 2 4GB, or 4 2GB? This all has to do with speed so I'm curious myself. I did see some screenshots of Forza 5 and must say very impressive.
andmcq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 andmcq
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

I'm not trying to upset anyone I would just like to inform you properly. If you do your research in which I did you would find that DDR4 may be soon to come out but only for high end computers which would be mainly servers. Now the video memory is DDR5 which is what they have in the GTX 690 video card. If you disagree then please prove it to me because I would like to know. Because if they do use DDR5 RAM then yes PS4 would be super fast but definitely not the case. I'm assuming XBOX ONE is going to be using an AMD CPU? Now since we know that they are going to be using DDR3 do we know how many MHz it is going to be? And do we know what size RAM chips because that all plays into the calculation of speed. Is it going to be 8GB, 2 4GB, or 4 2GB? This all has to do with speed so I'm curious myself. I did see some screenshots of Forza 5 and must say very impressive. RimacBugatti

Yes, it makes use of a pool of 8gb GDDR5 RAM. How much this actually helps the consoles is yet to be seen, it will certainly increase the price.

Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts
From what I get from other threads and articles is that the PS4 has the ability for more graphical power. The rest I think is equal for the most part..
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I dont care for specs i just want play games.

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts
Your right it does not use DDR5 RAM, its uses GDDR5 RAM.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

I'm not trying to upset anyone I would just like to inform you properly. If you do your research in which I did you would find that DDR4 may be soon to come out but only for high end computers which would be mainly servers. Now the video memory is DDR5 which is what they have in the GTX 690 video card. If you disagree then please prove it to me because I would like to know. Because if they do use DDR5 RAM then yes PS4 would be super fast but definitely not the case. I'm assuming XBOX ONE is going to be using an AMD CPU? Now since we know that they are going to be using DDR3 do we know how many MHz it is going to be? And do we know what size RAM chips because that all plays into the calculation of speed. Is it going to be 8GB, 2 4GB, or 4 2GB? This all has to do with speed so I'm curious myself. I did see some screenshots of Forza 5 and must say very impressive. RimacBugatti

Chart of parts brokendown and compared between the 2 systems.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/2

So you are right, it doesnt use DDR, it uses GDDR which is faster than DDR and is cheaper to produce.

I dont know where you did your "research" but you did it in all the wrong places because you have no idea what your talking about.

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

[QUOTE="RimacBugatti"]I'm not trying to upset anyone I would just like to inform you properly. If you do your research in which I did you would find that DDR4 may be soon to come out but only for high end computers which would be mainly servers. Now the video memory is DDR5 which is what they have in the GTX 690 video card. If you disagree then please prove it to me because I would like to know. Because if they do use DDR5 RAM then yes PS4 would be super fast but definitely not the case. I'm assuming XBOX ONE is going to be using an AMD CPU? Now since we know that they are going to be using DDR3 do we know how many MHz it is going to be? And do we know what size RAM chips because that all plays into the calculation of speed. Is it going to be 8GB, 2 4GB, or 4 2GB? This all has to do with speed so I'm curious myself. I did see some screenshots of Forza 5 and must say very impressive. andmcq

Yes, it makes use of a pool of 8gb GDDR5 RAM. How much this actually helps the consoles is yet to be seen, it will certainly increase the price.

i dont know but i listened to a pannel on majornelson.com and the hardware and software guys said the chose DDR3 on purpose because of its speen. They also said right after that they xbox would of been perfectly fine with 4GB of ram. The only reason they decided to double it is because they wanted to have the dual OS running as smooth as possible and then some.

http://majornelson.com/cast/2013/05/22/xbox-one-architecture-panel/