Powerbrick humming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

A few weeks ago I started to notice that my non-slim elite power brick thing started to hum somewhat loudly. it kinda sounds like a florecent lightbulb that doesn't work well anymore. Would it be wise to open it up and clean it or should I buy a new one? I'd like to avoid the latter if at all possible.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I'd phone Microsoft and tell them about it. You might get lucky and they might send you a new one out. If you don't have any joy with Microsoft, you should just buy a new one. I wouldn't go opening the power brick. That doesn't sound safe at all.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
As above, don't open it if you don't know what your doing. It isn't safe. Contact MS or buy a new one.
CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
It sounds as though you guys think I would open it while still connected to the outlet.

*sigh* Knowing my luck, I'm probably going to buy one.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#5 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
Tweet the issue to Microsoft and see if they respond. Maybe you don't have to call to get the issue resolved.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Tilt it while it is on and see if that changes it. I titled, well shook quite violently, mine and it did finally become quite. The humming is the fan and it isn't a good sign. The best bet is to just get a new one, but I am lazy and don't want to. And opening the power brick if far safer to open than the 360 is. If you do open it you will be amazed and how empty the inside really is and if you are planning on getting a new one then why not open it and see what you can do with it anyway.

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

I wouldn't worry that much about it. According to an MS tech I spoke to years ago they have built in safety precautions and will simply shut down if they overheat. I would NOT, however, shake it, violently or otherwise as the person before me suggested.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Ive got the same problem, so. . . . How do I open it up, do I need a hammer ?
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Maybe it just doesn't know the words.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

I wouldn't worry that much about it. According to an MS tech I spoke to years ago they have built in safety precautions and will simply shut down if they overheat. I would NOT, however, shake it, violently or otherwise as the person before me suggested.

HilbillyRokstar

Hey, when you are counting it as dead and intending to get a new one why not do whatever with it. I never even thought it would stop the humming I was just having fun with it before getting a new one. Now that the humming is gone I am incredibly surprised and still using it although with a very, very watchful eye.

Also I never said to shake it violently. What I said was to tilt it side to side. What I did was shake it violently, but I never advocated doing it. Along with that I also said it is best to just get a new one.

Ive got the same problem, so. . . . How do I open it up, do I need a hammer ?Lulekani

Nope, just the internet and a screwdriver.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]

Agent_Kaliaver

Hey, when you are counting it as dead and intending to get a new one why not do whatever with it. I never even thought it would stop the humming I was just having fun with it before getting a new one. Now that the humming is gone I am incredibly surprised and still using it although with a very, very watchful eye.

Also I never said to shake it violently. What I said was to tilt it side to side. What I did was shake it violently, but I never advocated doing it. Along with that I also said it is best to just get a new one.

Ive got the same problem, so. . . . How do I open it up, do I need a hammer ?Lulekani

Nope, just the internet and a screwdriver.

Screw Driver ? I didnt notice any screws. You're not pulling my leg are ya ? Because my leg means alot to me.