This topic is locked from further discussion.

porky_ownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 porky_ownsu
Member since 2008 • 1287 Posts

this is nota thread about the size of the brick...

all I want to say is that, if i'm using a falcon model with the older model power brick will that cause any problems?

Decoy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Decoy123
Member since 2004 • 816 Posts

dont think theres a watt difference in them some are different connections tho so check at the brick and even on the system some require a metal end on the new ones and on older moddels some require the plastic ends. power bricks can also have different connections so just make sure you get the right one.

cgoliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cgoliver
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts

Check the brick to make sure EVERYTHING matches up, not just power consumption, including amperage. Will one work with the other? Probably. But do you really want to risk any problems for your 360 because you didn't want to be inconvenienced? I didn't think so. I just bought another 360. Both bricks output 175W, but have different amperes. Also, the plugs (both male and female) are two-prong rather than the grounded three-prong from my near-launch and now-dead 360. Sure, probably more information than you care to have read, but.... aw, nevermind.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Go here.

Yes it's a wiki but the info I was looking for looks like what I see here so i'm assuming it's correct. Go about half way down the page and you'll see the diff. models and there respective power bricks. I'm not sure if this page tells how to determine the model you have, but that info is out there if you look for it. In a nutshell you can tell by the info on the back of your 360 and the power brick ratings.

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
If general, it is a very bad idea to mix and match power bricks for anything. Have lots of experience with laptops. Cant be any better for the 360. Avoid this to the best of your ability.
rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

You can always use a higher wattage power supply, but you can't use a lower wattage power supply with you 360. Example, first Falcon 175 watt consoles came with a 203 watt power supply. MS made the connector so you can not plug a lower wattage power supply in to a higher wattage console. Example a 175 watt power supply will not plug into a 203 watt console. So if it plugs in it's OK.

Using a higher wattage power supply IMO is better becausethe power supplydoesn't have to work as hard to supply the console. The console will only draws the power that is needs!

JOESONYNERD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JOESONYNERD
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
yes it will cause problems