Possible reason why MS made the elite...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 hellfire9988
Member since 2006 • 1136 Posts

As many people have said before, in 3 years, if the graphics get so good, and audio even better, and the 360 might 'not have enough space on Dual layer DVD to play games', is it possible to become like a PC with the 120GB HDD? I mean if games get 'that good', then is it possible to have 2 discs, a load disc, and a play disc?

And other than having the ability to download shows and have 50,000 songs, is this the reason they made the 120GB HDD?

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts
What?
hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hellfire9988
Anyone know if this is even A possiblility?
jacksheets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 jacksheets
Member since 2005 • 1747 Posts
No, thats not why they added the larger hard drive.  They simply want to push the marketplace for downloading movies and give people enough space to store everything.  I think the generation after this may do away with the disc format and instead have games be purchased via download, etc.... but your idea is far fetched.
hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hellfire9988
I mean if the games get so good, and when the games get better, they use more space on the disc, and if the games get so good, and all of the space on the disc is used, will it be possible to have to load the content to your HDD before you can actually play...?
Jelle87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jelle87
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts
A friend of mine is a gaming addict in general and said he heard something about 360 games being partly installed to the hd in the future for smoother performance, not sure about that anyway but they made the elite of course for people with full HD tv's and people who are getting live TV.
bleed_stab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 bleed_stab
Member since 2005 • 55 Posts

me think it was a response to the ps3 specs there tryin to compete with it

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EnderSR388

A friend of mine is a gaming addict in general and said he heard something about 360 games being partly installed to the hd in the future for smoother performance, not sure about that anyway but they made the elite of course for people with full HD tv's and people who are getting live TV.Jelle87

They've been using the HDD to speed up performance since the fist XBOX, that's nothing new. 

Jelle87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jelle87
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

[QUOTE="Jelle87"]A friend of mine is a gaming addict in general and said he heard something about 360 games being partly installed to the hd in the future for smoother performance, not sure about that anyway but they made the elite of course for people with full HD tv's and people who are getting live TV.EnderSR388

They've been using the HDD to speed up performance since the fist XBOX, that's nothing new.

I don't mean extra cache, I mean really installing. 

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EnderSR388

I mean if the games get so good, and when the games get better, they use more space on the disc, and if the games get so good, and all of the space on the disc is used, will it be possible to have to load the content to your HDD before you can actually play...?hellfire9988

They say that even Oblivion only uses 5.8gb of disc space. So if a regular DVD is 9gb, then there's still enough room. These are numbers that I remember reading, so you might wanna check for accuracy. I think that that 360 will be fine for another 3 years or so. 

hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hellfire9988

[QUOTE="Jelle87"]A friend of mine is a gaming addict in general and said he heard something about 360 games being partly installed to the hd in the future for smoother performance, not sure about that anyway but they made the elite of course for people with full HD tv's and people who are getting live TV.EnderSR388

He means, his friend told him that games might be partially installed to speed things up, that is not new because theres no game that you have to install on a console to play yet!!!

kevinolsson305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kevinolsson305
Member since 2007 • 126 Posts

the 120gb hardrive was more likely to have a better storage of your files and encourage u to buy from the marketplace in  a sense. i dont know about the installing part where in half was installed and half was in a cd. if that was the case their wouldnt really be a diffrence between consoles and pc. in my point of view

the elite was made with the hdmi port, prolly microsoft is making up for their mistakes by not putting an hdmi port on the premium 360 on the 1st place  but stil, if they would make an elite they shouldve added more features that would really set the 2 360`s appart, but on the other hand it would be kinda sad for those who bought a premium 360 recently not knowing theres an elite version thats going to be released

m14c79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 m14c79
Member since 2004 • 335 Posts

Here's the reason.  I heard it from the guy who created the Elite himself on Major Nelson's Elite blogcast...

They wanted to make a larger HDD obviously.  But what happens when someone who wants a 360 today wants the 120GB.  Does he buy the Core and 120GB HDD?...NO, becase then he's stuck with a lame disc tray and lame wired controller.

Does he buy the Premium and 120GB HDD?...NO, becaue that's just crazy. Then you have an extra HDD you don't need and spent more money than you needed.

So a new SKU is neccessary for this reason.  As far as HDMI and the black color, this was just their chance to add it while they are making the new SKU.  The needed the new SKU anyways so why not add in some new features as well. And really you get the HDMI and HDMI cable for free becaue all the additional $$ is in the new 120GB HDD.

Hope that helps.

Dub_c6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dub_c6969
Member since 2004 • 6014 Posts
No, thats not why they added the larger hard drive. They simply want to push the marketplace for downloading movies and give people enough space to store everything. I think the generation after this may do away with the disc format and instead have games be purchased via download, etc.... but your idea is far fetched.jacksheets
i hope not....i just hope they use hd dvd or bluray....what if your harddrive gets wiped and you have to download 200 gigs worth of games on dsl or cable i just dont see this happing. i would rather switch disk before i have sit for 2-4hours waiting for a game to download.Hell it might be longer then that if games go over 9.4gigs on microsofts next console.
DTbikerider9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 DTbikerider9
Member since 2006 • 1771 Posts

Microsoft is getting worried about the wii sales. Now im not flamming or anything because I think the wii is a great SECONdARY CONSOLE next to my primary 360 nuff said. but im an OXM subscriber and I've picked out some quotes from an article I found about how the wii is getting up there in sales and ultimetly how microsoft knows nintendo is fighting a console war right now and MS also knows that for the last couple months nintendo has been winning, so MS is bringing in the heavy artillary. and of course its for the bigger HDD too:) here are some quotes

"does the mainstream consumer even know how to set-up an xbox live acoount"

and "for many casual gamers its easier to swing a virtual tennis racket then push a button via xbox controller"

"but when microsoft spent its time on what resolutions the PS3s would support, nintnendo quietly snuckup with its low-tech. low-cost wii"

"in january the wii outsold the xbox 360 by 436,000 units to 294,000"

"and theres only a 300,000 gap in sales from november to january"

"sure the xbox 360 has the XBLA and games like viva piniata that are supposed to broaden the age group of the consumers but the wii is easy to understand and approachable in ways the xbox 360 and PS3 are not"

"the wii's approachability, stnadard def friendlyness and lower price have made it into not only familty rooms but places that wouldn't except the maturity of the xbox 360 like nursing homes and other places"

"IF THE WII'S SALES START AFFECTING SOFTWARE DEVOLOPMENT ACROSS THE BOARD, THEN ITS SUCCESS BECOMES AN IMPORTANT FACTOR TO EVERY XBOX GAMER"

joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 joshuarocker
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts

The real reason they did this in my opinion was so people could PURCHASE video off of the marketplace and also for their new project IPTV.  For these things to become very profitable you need a larger hard drive. 

STABW0UND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 STABW0UND
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
to make more money, it IS microsoft...
-hypnotixx-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 -hypnotixx-
Member since 2007 • 231 Posts
they did to out do sony duh
Avatar image for eliteGamerSKILL
eliteGamerSKILL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 eliteGamerSKILL
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

As many people have said before, in 3 years, if the graphics get so good, and audio even better, and the 360 might 'not have enough space on Dual layer DVD to play games', is it possible to become like a PC with the 120GB HDD? I mean if games get 'that good', then is it possible to have 2 discs, a load disc, and a play disc?

And other than having the ability to download shows and have 50,000 songs, is this the reason they made the 120GB HDD?

hellfire9988

WHO? WHAT? WHEN? WHERE? HOW?...... ........

slayer423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slayer423
Member since 2005 • 212 Posts
to compete witht he ps3 and to shut up the fanboys that made fun of the 20 gb hardrive and now the xbox fanboys can make fun of the ps3 owners telling them they have twice the space of the ps3
hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hellfire9988
I already know that they wanted to compete with better specs, and make money, I was asking if anyone knows if MS is planning to offer FULL games off live, with great graphics, or further in the future, having to load data to be able to play some specific games, and also slayer if ur still here.. click on my best thread ever button....
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
microsoft made the elite to make money.....it's called business
misternathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 misternathan
Member since 2003 • 93 Posts

#1 reason why MS decided to pull out the Elite?

Boredom.  8)

One needs competition to keep the market from going stale...  The Wii doesn't compete because it's not trying to (it's a whole new world in gaming) and the PS3 is lagging far behind.

I theorize that MS board members were chilling in the boardroom.  One of them says "Hey guys, this is kind of sad.  We totally need something to do."

"Why not make the 360 black?"

"Hey, what the heck."

Then they went back to counting their money... The rest is history.  :lol:

hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hellfire9988

I understand why they made it, err one of the reasons why they made it... $$$ obviously... but nobody thinks there's some master plan by bill gates to port CRYSIS to the 360 or something? lol that'd be pretty sweet...

Back on topic.. Reasons why MS made the Elite... possibly....

1.Make some Muhlah $$$
2.Compete with the PS3 specs
3.Push the Marketplace on people
4.Full downloadable games like SONY did with GTHD?
5.Have more space for people to put songs, vids, etc. on their drives...
6.To just blow time before Halo 3 lol
7.Down the road when games get "that good" having an install disc and a play disc
8.Have a sweeter looking BLACK 360 *DROOLS*
9.Have ACDC sing BACK IN BLACK as the elite's theme song
10.Be able to see one more spec of blood coming off of a locusts chainsawed off face with full 1080p
11.Have an excuse to put in a cooler processor, thus maybe ending the "oh my 360 has 3 red lights bumbo jumbo"?
12.Have Led Zeplin sing Black dog as the elite's theme song
13.Sell more accesories by having them be in black.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11997 Posts
M$ just wants more money.  They also want to turn the gaming machine into a machine that acts like a TiVo but only for their content.
hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hellfire9988
[QUOTE="hellfire9988"]

And other than having the ability to download shows and have 50,000 songAs, is this the reason they made the 120GB HDD?

eliteGamerSKILL

WHO? WHAT? WHEN? WHERE? HOW?...... ........

Whenever I look in other forums, especially the PS3 forum, :P or the system wars forum I see... Xbox 360 blows because it won't have enough space later on... so there... who Some fanboys, but some of em made sense, what? no sense... when 2 weeks ago, where ps3 forum, system wars forum, how... they used a keyboard and typed!!

YourLastDay86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 YourLastDay86
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
B/c they saw that the PS3 was actually selling at the amazing price of $500 and said let me get some of that action....
PacBoy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PacBoy23
Member since 2004 • 9505 Posts
to make money? i think that is the main reason but also because of that tivo thing coming out later this year and movie marketplace maybe soon music marketplace?
mryoung4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 mryoung4
Member since 2006 • 4481 Posts

Either                 

A.             'cause microsoft thought they could get enough money through microtransactions but it turned out it wasn't enough so the made the elite.

B.              they got bored

C.             they decided they don't like having a white console so they decided to paint it black and sell it for $80 more.

InjuredNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 InjuredNoodle
Member since 2006 • 1077 Posts
Because more is always better!! cough