Portal: Now this is next gen gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts

I know the graphics weren't that great or anything, and the game was fairly short, but Portal really seemed like a very next-gen experience. I love the concept of a puzzle game that is in FPS form, and the whole conservation of momentum thru portals idea made for some truly unique gameplay. I hope that Valve extends this concept into a full-length game, maybe with several different tools for modifying the environment, such as a gravity-changing gun or time-slowing device.

Plus the game is absolutely hilarious, I loved the dark sense of humor - 'Failure will result in an unsatisfactory mark placed on your record, followed by death'

Portal FTW!!!

Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts

I thought Portal was really cool as well, but it in no way made me say "Now THIS is next-gen gaming". It felt more like something the devs made to amuse themselves during lunch breaks. Now if it was a full-fledged game with more mechanics I might feel differently about it, but I put it on par with titles like Geometry Wars, super-fun while it lasts but not really mindblowing.

I give the game huge points for it's crazy humor though & that end song, (Alive Still I think), was priceless. But if Portal hadn't been included in the Orange Box, it's not anything I would have bought as a seperate title, unless it was on XBOX Live or something.

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
Not really that nextgen, their original game has been round for years.
kintzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 kintzer
Member since 2003 • 806 Posts
I completely agree with TC. I think this game took the "cake" out of the five games in the Orange Box. I had been looking forward to this game since it was announced. I was worried that it would fail to impress me. I'm happy to report that it definitely did not fail.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Not really that nextgen, their original game has been round for years.teebeenz

Narbacular Drop was not half as well done as Portal and if it's not a success, then it can't innovate within the industry.

Anyways, I agree TC. This is the best game I've played since Psychonauts. It has the addictive gameplay and humor.

ryanjtravis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ryanjtravis
Member since 2004 • 2095 Posts
Yep Portal is completely awesome. I tend to get frustrated easily with puzzle games (especially when they start getting really tricky - I get really overwhelmed), but Portal makes it so much fun, even when I'm struggling. Such a cool system, executed flawlessly. I love it.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

360 has been out for almost two years. Isn't it about time we stopped calling it next-gen?

I'm looking forward to playing Portal when it gets released here on Friday.

Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts

I agree. Its current gen :D

Awesome game. Only played 30 minutes so far but its really funny.

I really hope there will be DLC for this game.

Chirico_Cuvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Chirico_Cuvie
Member since 2003 • 842 Posts
Ever since Guitar Hero 2 I've lost faith in DLC. I will not buy a product "hoping" that more content will be made available later, at least not on consoles. I bought the orange Box on Steam strictly because of the user-created content that will flood the sites for Portal. Portal is great but criminally short at 2-3 hours. The game itself is really no more than a demo of what you'll see in Ep. 3 and in maps for download.
RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts
Ahh, that makes me wish I had a PC....you guys get as many levels as ppl can come up with, but MS will definitely charge a pretty penny for any additional maps over XBL
axes03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 axes03
Member since 2005 • 4454 Posts
agreed, portal is AMAZING!!
RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#12 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts
Portal is one of the most different experience i have had in gaming but its still not all revolutionary like u say. but i would like a full length portal 2
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
Portal was extremely fun while it lasted. And yes, the dark humor was pure gold.
maxxorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 maxxorz
Member since 2006 • 555 Posts

I'm pretty sure Portal was basically Valve testing the waters to see if people buy in to the gameplay style, and if people dig it or not. Now that it is evident that the majority of people are in love with Portal, I think Valve got the cue. Apparently they are working on more Challenge Maps, and [SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER] obviously Portal is going to be integrated in to HL3 after the ending of Ep2...

There was also word from Kim Swift that they may do a more full-length Portal title, which would be nice :)

eguan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 eguan
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

in the developers comments of portal they mention a sequel to it

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points