gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

Every Xbox game has them. Some have insanely high total Gamerscores, others have nearly-impossible to obtain achievements. But over the years, they've gotten easier and easier to get. You can now get achivements for the smallest thing.

So how about it, GameSpotters. What do you think about Achievements? Do you still care about them? What's your Gamerscore?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I don't really care either way... If I earn some, cool, but I don't go out of my way to earn them.

shanecf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shanecf
Member since 2004 • 52 Posts

I voted for yes, but, really, this needs to be broken down more than Y/N/IDK. I like achievements, but I'm not some gamerscore-obsessed person [anymore]. Now I just appreciate achievements and trophies as a way of encouraging deeper exploration of a game.

paparolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 paparolo
Member since 2006 • 60 Posts

I choose Meh, Whatever.

Achievements are certainly something that can give some more life to a game for sure, and can also give you that satisfaction sensation that entertainment is all about when you get the tough ones.

But in all honesty I wouldn't miss them if they were gone for good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aaaf6313c856
deactivated-5aaaf6313c856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5  Edited By deactivated-5aaaf6313c856
Member since 2009 • 94 Posts

@shanecf: Same here. I like achievements but sometimes it can be a pain in the ass. (I like to have at least (more or less) 60% of all the achievements of the games I play, even the ones I don't really enjoy).

bliciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bliciant
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

I like them but, some of them are way to hard like that Mortal Kombat.

sonicblast19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sonicblast19
Member since 2009 • 86 Posts

I kinda prefer the trophies on Playstation,mostly because the points system on xbox is kinda..meh..pointless...pun intended.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I love them, but I'm not a hardcore Achievement hunter, I don't usually think about them on my first playthrough.

The main reason I like them is because I see them as a sort of automatic journal-keeping of my gaming activities, kind of like a gaming diary that writes itself. I enjoy looking at past achievements, looking at the dates, remembering certain situations of how I got them, particularly those I got while gaming with friends.

There are other reasons I enjoy them, they can provide extra replay value on subsequent playthroughs, giving you more reasons to play the game again. Some achievements require you to do certain things you would not normally do, it can help expand your horizons as far as your gaming behavior, and in the process discover new things about a game. It's like an additional meta-game on top of the core game, it gives you more stuff to do overall.

My Gscore is over 110K right now, and as a cool little bonus I get some rebates every month for the Xbox One store.....I forget the exact details, but I know I am master level or something similar, which I believe is attained when you get to 75K achievements , if I remember correctly.

That being said, on my first playthrough I usually just focus on the core game experience, I very rarely think about achievements or even look at the list before playing a game.

shanecf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shanecf
Member since 2004 • 52 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

I very rarely think about achievements or even look at the list before playing a game.

That's the way to do it. I used to be one of those people who read through all the non-secret achievements before I played the game. It's so much more enjoyable to me now to discover what I can on my own during the first playthrough, and if I enjoy the game enough, going back to clean up ones I missed.

Godlikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 168

#10 Godlikan
Member since 2011 • 347 Posts

Only if they give rewards. The tougher the achievement the rarer reward.

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts

I used to care a lot about achievements back when games would just have only 1000 gamerscore that could be obtained. It started getting out of hand when every new piece of DLC for a game would add on achievements. Increased gamerscore limits are nice, but unless you know how much can be earned from a game, it makes it difficult to tell if someone has completed it or not (without scrolling through the achievement list for a specific game).

Games that include online achievements are hit or miss. When a game's servers go offline or if the online population starts to dwindle, you are pretty much out of luck. I guess it gives people an incentive for buying a game near launch.

Achievements will probably inflate the prices of used 360 games and not games that are particularly good.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I enjoyed them against friends on the 360 since 2005, but the Xbone Achievement layout is so awful that I don't even bother looking at achievements now on Xbone.

I have 125,000 Gamerscore, but I don't care about achievements other than if a friend makes a challenge on a game.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

There was a time I used to rent games every week, beat them quickly just to collect achievements which I enjoyed doing so. But now I don't go out of my way to collect them, but they're a nice bonus to have.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I love them. They actually get me to play more. Sometimes I want to play until I get one and then I'll view that as a stopping point for the day. I'm a pretty busy person and it personally means a lot to me, no matter how small, getting something for my time I put in. I also like to show them off to people hoping that other people will engage in conversation about my gaming habits. I'm antisocial to begin with and when someone acknowledges a trophy I got or the game I am playing I feel good on the inside; as corny as that sounds.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Not really. Sometimes they're great for replay value. Other times they require too much investment and I have other games to play, so I'll pass on those ones.

ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ryanweinmann
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

I think achievements are great for games. They add excitement to the games and expand the game play of games. If it wasn't for the achievements, I would play the game once and get rid of it.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

@shanecf said:

I voted for yes, but, really, this needs to be broken down more than Y/N/IDK. I like achievements, but I'm not some gamerscore-obsessed person [anymore]. Now I just appreciate achievements and trophies as a way of encouraging deeper exploration of a game.

This. I do some weird trophies when I am bored or something like that. Not doing stuff I hate to do though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I voted yes, as I'm a completionist with just under a 97% completion rate, and over 99% completion rate when it comes to racing games.

I play my games first enjoying the game and not worrying about the achievements, and going for the achievements on my 2nd run through.

hellwolf95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hellwolf95
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts

for me i say meh because i like to earn achievements in games i like to play and i think achievements shows ur dedication to the game.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No I don't care about them.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#21 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@sukraj said:

I'm the same.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Nope, not one bit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#23 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

When achievements first came out they were easy to get also. I remember putting Kameo: Elements of Power into my 360 and loading it, and got an achievement just for starting the game, worth 0 gamerscore. And of course there's the infamous stories of the Avatar: The Last Airbender game that had really easy achievements to get, people would buy the game just to raise their Gamerscore.

Idk, I enjoy achievements sometimes, I feel like they add something to games, when used well. At the end of the day I'm not going to unlock every achievement for every game I own, and I will likely only actively try to get achievements in a few of my games. I think I am so used to achievements now, that I feel kind of odd whenever I play a game that doesn't have them.

ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ryanweinmann
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

@i_p_daily: Same. I usually beat the game and enjoy it before I really go after the achievements.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

When looking at other people's profiles, they're good ways to determine how much they've invested in their games, whether they play to complete, how much they get out of them, or whether they're the type to dabble for 10 minutes and never play again ever (which is most people for most games). When playing a game, they kind of give direction in things to do, try.

I think of them like a WHERE's WALDO book, I mean if you just look at them to find Waldo then you're done in no time. But, in the back, there's a checklist of things to find on each of the pages, to get more out of it...

[X] clown making kids cry
[ ] an elephant listening to music
[ ] bird steals cotton candy
[X] guy on unicycle juggling flaming torch
[ ] clown car with a missing tire

Achievements just guide into giving a game a little replay value. But again, beyond that, it allows people looking at you a chance to see how committed to playing your games you are. For instance, last gen, looking at achievements, I was surprised by the amount of people who'd buy a COD game, not play the single player (evident by lack of SP achievements), but are totally stacked in the MP area as that's why they bought the game. That's nothing against the player, just saying you can tell by achievements to some degree the kind of playstyle or playing preferences of gamers through them, and how much and to what degree they play their games.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#26  Edited By doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

I actually like to get them , obviously the compeltionist inside me loves to get them, but I hardly complete games anymore.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Not since 2009.

My score is 32k with only 5 games with 1k , all the rest is games that want online stuff , big over pass.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

I like achievements but I don't get to crazy with them. It all depends on the game, and if I enjoy it.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

If I really like the game and the trophies make sense, I go after them. But if it is just some dumb "do x 1000 times" I usually ignore them

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BattleSpectre

@Ant_17: Off-Topic: I love your signature. Good ol' GTR loves to eat ;].

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Dumbest thing ever.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

I went with yes they are great. In the past I may have focused on getting them (such as playing Lost Via Domus, but in fairness I love Lost so would have played that game regardless). Achievements help me get a sense of how I am progressing in a game and show cool things on my profile. The number is not as important (although it is nice) but I just like it when they pop up during a game. I would not say they are needed for gaming, but they are nice to have. Some of them can remind me of good times such as the Video Master achievements on Halo with finishing the last level with the ghosts, driving around and being bashing each other off the map whilst trying to get the achievement was pretty awesome.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ant_17

@BattleSpectre: Hahahaha , thanks.

I was lookig for a crashed Evo and a GTR next to it Loling , but this one is still funny.

And is your sig a GTO? I can't tell from the head lights.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

I always preferred achievements over leader boards, leader boards always seem to difficult to climb

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BattleSpectre

@Ant_17 said:

I was lookig for a crashed Evo and a GTR next to it Loling , but this one is still funny.

Haha, your signature definitely made me crack a smile, very nicely done. Also my car would not be recognized by anyone not living in Australia or New Zealand, we had our own performance division here and it's an F6 Typhoon 4 litre, straight 6 turbo - that is a torque monster and so easy to get power from with only bolt-ons. It can crack 300rwkw for only around the 3-4k budget. They are known as the V8 killer here in Australia ;].

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

They're ok. They made me go back recently to older games i have. I'm for example now busy to complete halo reach on legendary alone. I don't think I would have tried that if it wasn't for the achievement.

Otherwise I don't really care about them. Especially when i play a game for the first time. I want to enjoy the game, and not be busy with going for achievements.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ant_17

@BattleSpectre said:
@Ant_17 said:

Haha, your signature definitely made me crack a smile, very nicely done. Also my car would not be recognized by anyone not living in Australia or New Zealand, we had our own performance division here and it's an F6 Typhoon 4 litre, straight 6 turbo - that is a torque monster and so easy to get power from with only bolt-ons. It can crack 300rwkw for only around the 3-4k budget. They are known as the V8 killer here in Australia ;].

Hell yeah!

I saw some drag events with these thing , holly hell.

I heard that these cars make huge burnout smoke because of the torque.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#38 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I like seeing them pop up, and I share some to my activity feed, but I have only 1000'd two games so I don't hunt them.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Back on the 360 I was obsessed with them, and would attempt to 1k every game I played, but I've grown out of the phase. Now, I simply don't have the time to do that, I do still go after achievements, but I won't sit for hours trying grind them out, and instead just play for fun and if I get them great, if not, no big deal. It's a lot less stressful that way too.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

If I like a game I might actually try to get some of the achievements, but any that don't seem fun to try and get I won't bother.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Meh. You get achievements for the stupidest things now.

Dajamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dajamo
Member since 2015 • 53 Posts

They're cool, but I don't care to get them, if I get one sweet, I'm not gunna grind a game to get all the points for it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@brimmul777 said:
@sukraj said:

I'm the same.

all I care about is the game that I'm playing.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BattleSpectre

@Ant_17: Yep, in that picture that is the FG Falcon, mine is the previous BF model. Also not sure what event you watched but if it was the V8 supercars then those were all the V8 variants and not the Turbo versions. Still, beautiful cars and a shame Australia is stopping production on them here. We're getting the new Mustang from the States though which will be the new flagship performance model here, so it's not that bad ;].

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#45 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@sukraj said:
@brimmul777 said:
@sukraj said:

I'm the same.

all I care about is the game that I'm playing.

I feel the same way.The game is what matters,not trying to get 5/10/20 Achievement points by passing a level or something.

jhmarquis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jhmarquis
Member since 2013 • 34 Posts

So, I do... but I don't. If the time put into earning it seems worth the score, I'll go for it and play the game until I get it. But if 20 hours of more gameplay to get 1 specific achievement, then I don't bother with it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Not enough to go hunting them, but I don't mind them at all. Took a look at some of the 600 achievements for MCC the other day and I feel sorry for the sap that intends to get all of them. :P

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I like them. It's a nice little objective to work towards, and it gives the game a little more mileage. I, however, won't kill myself trying to get a really hard achievement.

PariahRi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PariahRi
Member since 2015 • 13 Posts

My first reply on these forums and this is certainly something that is very appropriate for me. Yes, I am kind of obsessed with achievements if I'm honest, some might call it a mild addiction. It's a great feeling when you unlock that difficult one that you know most people do not have. My GS is 43434 (didn't even realise it was until now, that is a neat number, I may hold off earning anymore for now).

Oh, and hello Gamespot forums!