'Play DVD' appears on dashboard when I have a 360 game inside...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Superfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Superfanboy
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts

It's happened only twice now over the course of a month, and only twice during the time I've had my Xbox. On the second time it occurred, the moment I reinserted the game disk again, everything was fine. In fact, afterwards I inserted 10 different Xbox 360 games to see if it would happen again and it didn't. My Xbox is quite new, it was manufactured in Oct 2008 (according to the back panel marker).

Should I be concerned? Has this happened to you randomly? Maybe I didn't position the disk quite neatly on the tray. I have my Xbox on a vertical position standing up on the floor.

VicousPopTart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 VicousPopTart
Member since 2009 • 136 Posts

Vertical?! Put it Horizontal. That might fix your problem, and your games won't get messed up like mine did.

Superfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Superfanboy

Vertical?! Put it Horizontal. That might fix your problem, and your games won't get messed up like mine did.

VicousPopTart

Interesting suggestion. In fact, I've only had the two "Play DVD" bugs when I decided to place my 360 on vertical exactly a month ago before the two incidents happened. I was more afraid of a heating issue with the horizontal position (the bottom warms up) back then. Thanks.

When you placed it horizontally, do you just place on the floor? I got a hardwood floor and I'm afraid of the heat at the bottom.

VicousPopTart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VicousPopTart

I placed mine on top of my TV with a cookie cooling rack under it, so it's above off the TV and can still stay cool.

Superfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Superfanboy
Ok. I'll definitely be switching back to horizontal. Microsoft doesn't have an extended warranty on disc drive issues/failures like the RROD.
VicousPopTart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VicousPopTart

Yeah. I put my consle Horizontal after my dog pushed it down and one of my games almostt got cracked in half...

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

My last one was like that. It got progressively worse until I had to put in and take out a game 10+ times. I had to send it in. =-(

Silverpeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Silverpeel
Member since 2009 • 1607 Posts
Try having the 360 horizontal on a laptop cooling pad. That works wonders
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#9 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
It happens to me maybe once or twice a month since I've had my current console (early June). I just eject the game and insert it again, and it's fine.
Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts

Yeah. I put my consle Horizontal after my dog pushed it down and one of my games almostt got cracked in half...

VicousPopTart
My dog would have broken my Xbox by now if it was vertical, crazy dog.
Avatar image for Chronic_Boom420
Chronic_Boom420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chronic_Boom420
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

Yes they do, that's why they extended the warranty to 3-years. I don't recommend putting any system vertical. It ruined games on PS2 and it ruins games on 360.

Superfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Superfanboy

My last one was like that. It got progressively worse until I had to put in and take out a game 10+ times. I had to send it in. =-(

Flamecommando

Was yours on vertical too? This only happened to me twice after I switched to vertical a month ago. I've had my Xbox for a year w/ no problems. It seems too much of a coincidence that this only started happening after I made the switch.

Superfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Superfanboy
It happens to me maybe once or twice a month since I've had my current console (early June). I just eject the game and insert it again, and it's fine.hillelslovak
You mean it only happens no more than twice a month randomly? Is your Xbox on the vertical position as well?
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#14 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
[QUOTE="hillelslovak"]It happens to me maybe once or twice a month since I've had my current console (early June). I just eject the game and insert it again, and it's fine.Superfanboy
You mean it only happens no more than twice a month randomly? Is your Xbox on the vertical position as well?

Nope, horizontal. It's really only happened with Mass Effect and Bully, which have some bad scratches.......
Tothcjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tothcjt
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts

I've been having the same problem, and mine was purchaseda year ago. It's only happened with 2 games and they are both used so I don't really worry about it that much. I just open the disk tray and close it again and it reads it as a game

xxxCr00k3dxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xxxCr00k3dxxx
Member since 2009 • 1006 Posts
[QUOTE="Superfanboy"]

It's happened only twice now over the course of a month, and only twice during the time I've had my Xbox. On the second time it occurred, the moment I reinserted the game disk again, everything was fine. In fact, afterwards I inserted 10 different Xbox 360 games to see if it would happen again and it didn't. My Xbox is quite new, it was manufactured in Oct 2008 (according to the back panel marker).

Should I be concerned? Has this happened to you randomly? Maybe I didn't position the disk quite neatly on the tray. I have my Xbox on a vertical position standing up on the floor.

Mine had the same problem only two or three times.And just like yours according to the back panel it eas manufactured in October 2008.Weird.
Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

[QUOTE="Flamecommando"]

Superfanboy

Was yours on vertical too? This only happened to me twice after I switched to vertical a month ago. I've had my Xbox for a year w/ no problems. It seems too much of a coincidence that this only started happening after I made the switch.

Yup. Vertical. It used to be horizontal but, it heats up on that side. I only got the RROD once and it was horizontal. =-(

SexyPorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SexyPorkins
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts
I've had my Xbox since January 2007 and have only ever had it vertical...and I've never had any problems...
Kenbo325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Kenbo325
Member since 2009 • 1177 Posts
I occasionally get this glitch too, but I'm not sure what causes it.