Party chat needs to change

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

Seriously, i hate it. When it first came out i thought it was a really cool feature which let you chat to people who weren't even playing the same game as you, while you both play. Sounds great on paper, but in practice it has ruined team games like Halo and Battlefield beyond repair.

One of xbox live's strengths was the sheer number of players who would have a mic. You'd enter a game and the majority of players would have a mic with only one or two not using one, which was a massive improvement over other multiplayer services.

Now thanks to team chat, people with mics has hit the gutter. You can't talk to anyone on your team because, nine times out of ten, they're in party chat. So all hope of teamwork or communication goes out the window.

Personally, i think this can be improved in one of two ways:

1) No party chat allowed in team games. If you want to play Battlefield or Team Slayer, you can't segregate yourself from everyone on your team.

2) Allow people to *also* talk to you as well as the people in your party. I don't see why you need to block out everyone else just to chat with people in your party.

Discuss. :)

PuddinPant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 PuddinPant
Member since 2005 • 1607 Posts
I agree. Xbox Live was alot more fun back in the day when they didn't have party chat, or even private chat. I seriously doubt anything will change though.
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

I bet you would like party chat if you had people to join your party. I like party chat s I can talk to my friends while we all play different games.

PuddinPant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PuddinPant
Member since 2005 • 1607 Posts
^^ Hey, something new and enlightening! Oh wait... That's what everyone says.
Bogie_19th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Bogie_19th
Member since 2010 • 37 Posts
I like Party Chat way it is personally. It's improved XBL dramatically in my experience.
2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
I like Party Chat way it is personally. It's improved XBL dramatically in my experience.Bogie_19th
it is nice not to have to hear racist and homophobic remarks in every lobby
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
So when I'm playing Reach with a buddy of mine and we're in our own party, that's why we can't hear the other players in our matches even if they have mics?
The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

I like party chat, it's better than having to listen to all of the mindless trash talk and stupidity said by the cretins of XBL. Not saying that all the people on XBL are cretins, it's just the majority. :P

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DJ_Magneto
@Ninja-Hippo About your 2nd point of improvement. If you and your party are playing the same game as I just described, then like you said, we should be able to or at least have the option to hear and speak to the other players in our matches. That makes sense. This is how it used to be right? I seem to remember that for Halo 3 and even way back to Halo 2. But if you and your party are in separate games, then it does make sense to block the other players as it does now. Otherwise it would be super confusing to everyone. I don't think I'd like it if someone on my team was constantly chatting with people playing other games.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

So when I'm playing Reach with a buddy of mine and we're in our own party, that's why we can't hear the other players in our matches even if they have mics?DJ_Magneto

That's right.

I think Infinity Ward had the right idea with MW2 where it allowed party chat only in certain game types.

The question is... is this something that MS should standardize? Or should it be the decision of the devs to implement.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DJ_Magneto

[QUOTE="DJ_Magneto"]So when I'm playing Reach with a buddy of mine and we're in our own party, that's why we can't hear the other players in our matches even if they have mics?VoodooHak

That's right.

I think Infinity Ward had the right idea with MW2 where it allowed party chat only in certain game types.

The question is... is this something that MS should standardize? Or should it be the decision of the devs to implement.

I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could change how the party chat works in a dashboard update. So that if you're playing the same game with the people in your party, you should be able to communicate to others in your game. How long has Party Chat been like this? Like I said before, I seem to recall being in a party and being able to communicate to others in my game.
XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
I love Party Chat. I hate people that talks crap to you on the lobby on games like Halo 3, back in the day. It got old quick when crap like that happens to my friends/family members back in Halo 3. Now in Party Chat, I don't have to hear idiots while talking to my friends/family members when there online. Otherwise, I take my mic off all the time if I don't have any of my friends/family members online.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ_Magneto
I love Party Chat. I hate people that talks crap to you on the lobby on games like Halo 3, back in the day. It got old quick when crap like that happens to my friends/family members back in Halo 3. Now in Party Chat, I don't have to hear idiots while talking to my friends/family members when there online. Otherwise, I take my mic off all the time if I don't have any of my friends/family members online.XXGamerfanXX
While I completely understand this and agree with you, I still think we should have the option to be able to speak to people if the people in my party are playing the same game. Because contrary to what you and many may believe, sometimes people actually try to use the mic to communicate tactics. I know that my friend that I Halo it up with do communicate all the time. It would be nice to be able to speak to our teammates and find others who want to play smartly like we do. Otherwise, forget about trying to compete in objective based games like CTF. Either people run off like a lone wolf or don't know what the hell the rules are.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
I am fine with Party Chat as it is, I am sick of the people on XBL and having to either listen to a 5 year old sing, a ton of abuse just because I won the game, and racist/hateful comments every 5 seconds for no reason at all, I would much rather just talk with my friends regardless of what I am playing, instead of been forced to listen to all that.
Paynee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Paynee
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts

I'm pretty sure party chat won't be changed, even though some of your points are valid. I think it all comes down to each players preference (obviously) and alot of people just want to chat it up with friends.

I'm a big culprit when it comes to party chat on team based games, but that's because I've never really played with anyone that's working as a team anyhow! Everyone's out for the kills and not the objective, so, you start not caring.

chaosflare44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 chaosflare44
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts

I'm a big culprit when it comes to party chat on team based games, but that's because I've never really played with anyone that's working as a team anyhow! Everyone's out for the kills and not the objective, so, you start not caring.

Paynee
Same here. With the exception of games like Left 4 Dead, where I will use game chat, the vast majority of games I play everyone just runs off on their own. Only on very rare occasions will I find people who actually use the mic for teamwork, as opposed to shouting random insults and mic spamming.
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
No. A lot of the times, I end up being in a party with like 6 people in BFBC2, which helps a lot since you can only talk to the other 3 people in your squad in game. Halo, I still party with my friends to avoid talking to dumb 10 year olds
shairoo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shairoo11
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts

Youre right I dont care what people say

Ilove party chat but the problem is that if ur not in party chat 9 out of 10 dont have a mic or ar in a partychat

most of the people dont talk

andmw2 is the worst multiplayer game ever seriously

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I'm pretty sure party chat won't be changed, even though some of your points are valid. I think it all comes down to each players preference (obviously) and alot of people just want to chat it up with friends.

Paynee

This, I don't play team games on MW2 for this reason, people don't talk tactics, they talk trash. The only team games I play are the ones that allow party chat, I'll play SnD with friends but no one else. I'm more of FFA person anyway because of stupid 10 year olds who think that they are amazing and try to tell the team what to do.

Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

Battle field and rainbow six are the only 2 games I find it really neccecary

councelor12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 councelor12
Member since 2005 • 110 Posts

i think your complaint kind of goes into the common sense pile. if people are entering games that require cooperation or teamwork, they shouldn't be in party chat but in game chat. however, allowing them to be in party chat is kind of like them not having a mic. i love party chat and when i'm playing a game that requires teamwork but i'm in party chat, i know the game well enough to be able to watch my team and know how i can help them. i really don't think it's an issue. i've been in a lot of games where i was in game chat and i got yelled at anyway, so i figured 'what's the point of this?' xbl chat will never be perfect because people aren't perfect. i'm glad they gave me the option to stop listening to those imperfect people from time to time :)

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
Two wouldn't work as there would be far too many people talking at the same time. As for using a headset for a game that needs it I do it all the time. I boot people in L4D, Borderlands, Team Fortress 2, and etc when I realize they don't have a headset. Games like Halo, COD, Gears, and etc I would never use a headset while playing those.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#24 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Either subject yourself to the immature and needlessly aggressive xbox live community or deprive yourself of potentially significant information that can effect the outcome of a match. Pick your poison.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Yeah i agree to some extent. Party Chat makes me angry sometimes too when im playing a team-based game. But it's not all that bad, most people still use their headsets freely.

rawrB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 rawrB
Member since 2009 • 627 Posts

i like party chat as i use xbox as way to hang out with my buddies after work when im to tired to go out after work, if i end up on a game were guys seem cool and act out there role in a team as in on bf actually a medic that heals you or assault that supplys me i send the party invites most of the time and it works out better as i then have a new friend to play with

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

party chat is ok but i like talking to random people. the thing about my controller is that it thinks a mic is plugged in when its not

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

If you are playing online, it should disable party chat

Vance009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vance009
Member since 2010 • 125 Posts

I can see why some people would like to not have party chat. one of the main reasons why I got a xbox over an ps3 was because of the online. going into a game and meting new people and now becoming Friends with them. yes you have the five years old and all of the hate speech that comes with online gaming and that's is a real big turnoff for people; but going into a game that haves everyone on voice chat and your new to xbox live that can be a problem for new gamers. in the end people are going to use party chat and the chat will be open to morn then eight people, turing live into a ghost town, that if you want to play a game with teamwork you need to have people in your party do it.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

I'll have about 6 people in my party chat, most of the time all playing different games. I hit the Y-button to switch to game chat, it's that simple. I'm still in the party but can communicate with people in the game.

Why would I stay in a party and not just leave? Because I can see if other people I know joined who would be interested in playing with me. Also, I like to switch back when a game is over to see what everyone is talking about.