PAL games for an NTSC console

This topic is locked from further discussion.

idotsuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 idotsuk
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Hey,

I live in California and am playing on buying an Xbox; however, I am going to move to Europe in two monthes, and I know I am going to have some kind of conflict with PAL and NTSC. My television in Europe supports both, but no NTSC games are available (true?). My question is, what can I do to play PAL games on my NTSC Xbox? Does modding solve this problem? Thank you for your time.

reddwarf_30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 reddwarf_30
Member since 2003 • 56 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

theres a list of tons of games and their compatabilities with different consoles. as u can see there are quite a few pal games that work on an ntsc console. if u want a particular game that turns out to only work on pal then i guess ul have to mod ur console.

yeah im pretty sure you wont find ntsc games selling in europe.  u can always get them off ebay though.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
To get NTSC-Xbox games in europe is pretty hard,because you can turn a PAL-Xbox to PAL60Hz...you got no gaming-speed loss.And PAL-games won´t run on a NTSC-Console.Not without modding.For the 360 there could be a few games without the problem,because it has gone the other way around without changing anything too.
backinthekrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 backinthekrak
Member since 2005 • 756 Posts
Sorry, man - it aint gonna happen. I have a North American NTSC console that I brought here to Poland and I can only play the games I brought with me from home - Florida, that is. And no one in Europe sells NTSC games becasue there is simply no market for it. You need to do 2 things - get the 110/220 power converter for the 360 from Ebay and stock up on games before you get on the plane.
backinthekrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 backinthekrak
And one more thing - the post above that says something about some 360 games being both NTSC and PAL compatible is wrong. Those games are simply AVAILABLE in both formats.
backinthekrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 backinthekrak
And one more thing - the post above that says something about some 360 games being both NTSC and PAL compatible is wrong. Those games are simply AVAILABLE in both formats.
idotsuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 idotsuk

No, I know for sure that about 1/3 of the games ARE multiregional, and work on both PAL and NTSC but I don't really want to be limited to just that 1/3...

I have no problem with modding my Xbox, as I've heard it even makes it better, and I would like to be able to burn games... But I really don't want to be banned from Live.  Live is all I want my Xbox for.  Are there any mods you can turn off when playing live?

btw thanks for all the responses;) 

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ash2X

And one more thing - the post above that says something about some 360 games being both NTSC and PAL compatible is wrong. Those games are simply AVAILABLE in both formats. backinthekrak

Dead or Alive 4,Gears of War...these are only two which US-Versions run perfectly on the Pal 360.They also got all Languages on them.But after all you have to ask in forums to know that.But to get games over the Internet should be no problem.

backinthekrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 backinthekrak

If there are multi-region games, they do a great job of hiding them because I'd be the first to pick them up. Besides, even you could get your hands on them, they are almost certainly not the best of the best games. Like I said, STOCK UP on everything before you leave. I live in Poland but I often travel to England and even there the selection of games is nothing compared to what you have at your local Best Buy / EB / Gamestop / whatever. Europe just doesn't have the gaming culture that we have at home. I'm not a teenager, and I have yet to find anyone here older than about 24 or so that gets excited about gaming. As for playing on Live, I'm about to find out for myself how it works. I just got the net installed in my place the other day but haven't had a chance to get everything hooked up yet. I'm curious to see if it's going to work with an American console and a pre-paid Live card I got a at Wal-Mart connecting from Europe. I've heard it works fine and I've heard there's no way. We'll see. Happy to tell you what I find out if you want to know      backinthekrak@gmail.com   .  Where are you moving to??  

backinthekrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 backinthekrak

Not trying to argue with you, Ash2x, but I'm sitting here right now looking at my GOW where it says 'NTSC' on the box. It was the first game I tried to play on my friend's PAL system here in Poland and it didn't work....

Brickz187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Brickz187
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts
COD 3 PAL works on my ntsc system...i have 4 NTSC-J(japanese) that work perfectly for the 360..you just have 2 ask around on which ones are region free because the game devolpers are the ones who decides 2 make there games region coded so some companies are region free some are not...i know for a fact all EA games are REGION CODED so you wont be able 2 get any ea games in PAL 2 work for your NTSC but you will come across a good number of games you can play on your system
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts

Hey,

I live in California and am playing on buying an Xbox; however, I am going to move to Europe in two monthes, and I know I am going to have some kind of conflict with PAL and NTSC. My television in Europe supports both, but no NTSC games are available (true?). My question is, what can I do to play PAL games on my NTSC Xbox? Does modding solve this problem? Thank you for your time.

idotsuk
Why not just keep buying NTSC games from an online store? problem solved.
technofranki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 technofranki
Member since 2005 • 1333 Posts

As said, it can be hard to get NTSC games in Europe, but you can always buy it from Amazon.com or other sites.

Play-Asia have a good list of which games are regionfree.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ash2X

Not trying to argue with you, Ash2x, but I'm sitting here right now looking at my GOW where it says 'NTSC' on the box. It was the first game I tried to play on my friend's PAL system here in Poland and it didn't work....

backinthekrak

Hmmm,that´s strange.A friend of mine got the US-Version and plays it on a German-PAL-360...strange.But I can say I tried DoA4 myself,I rented it form a friend for a while.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ash2X

backinthekrak

...don´t tell me you tried while your 360 was on 50Hz...of course it didn´t work then.Put it to 60Hz and it will work just fine.

Flavour666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Flavour666
Member since 2003 • 345 Posts
Simply wait two months and buy your Xbox in Europe. All problems solved. Also no 360-mod in the world makes it possible to play games not intended for the consoles region. The ONLY (and I mean that literally) function that the 360-mod provides is being able to run 'backups' (read 'pirated games').
jhunte99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jhunte99
Member since 2003 • 2673 Posts
Just buy your games from ebay, I live in England and i got rainbow six vegas when it came out from hong kong. It is region free even though it says NTSC on the box. So yeah, just get your games from ebay and you will have no problem.
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

Hey,

idotsuk
Well, its pretty simple.All ubisoft,activision and sega games are usually region free, meaning you can play them on any console.all 1stparty ms games areregion locked though
hooman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hooman64
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

hey buddy,

i had the same problem as you, b/c i was moving to Germany and as you mentioned there are no NTSC games available here, so i modded my Xbox, it can play burned DVDs right now and i have no problem using Xbox live, but it still can't play PAL DVDs, i think it's something that you can't change, but you can download any game you want from Internet, that's cool, and I'm sure there are some "free region" games out there but i haven't found one in this freaking Europe yet, BTW watch this video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1382866382852522503

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
if the games are region free then your ok
Clay_Whitey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Clay_Whitey
Member since 2007 • 388 Posts
[QUOTE="backinthekrak"]

Ash2X

...don´t tell me you tried while your 360 was on 50Hz...of course it didn´t work then.Put it to 60Hz and it will work just fine.

wait so if u put ur 360 to 60 Hz it will work?

k how do u do that?

grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

You switch from 50 Hz to 60 Hz in the display settings menu, I suspect.

In answer to the TC, I was in the opposite situation from you (I moved from the UK to the US). I just bought my games from the UK equivalent of Gamestop (it's called GAME) and had them ship games to me in the US - they were fine about it and it didn't cost any extra, it just took longer.

Your other options are eBay and Amazon for non-region-free games. As long as you check with a US seller whether they will be willing to ship to Europe before you bid, most people are cool about it. If they aren't, they don't get your business - simple as that.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts
Buy them online from Amazon?
vanshay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vanshay
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i bought the xbox 360 from us and im staying in india now i have modded it still the games here dnt work on it
gabbafella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 gabbafella

Playing NTSC/PAL games on any machine is not a problem, they will all work fine, the issue would only be with the TV you use.

If you have a PAL machine but your TV can only handle NTSC pictures then you will more than likely get either a black and white screen or it will flicker terribly due the difference in 50Hz/60Hz, however, I have a PAL machine but can play NTSC games with no issues due to the fact that my HDTV supports both.

To really answer your question you need to know what kind of TV you will have when you move to Europe, if you have an HDMI model 360 you will have no problem connecting your console and playing, think you may to need to do an initial setup to get the Hz right though. HDMI basically bypasses both PAL and NTSC as it is digital and not analogue like the previous two, therefore it pretty much renders all games region free. I believe the HD component cable works in the same way but don't quote me on that.

Don't take the above as gospel, I may be wrong, all I know is that this is how my gear is set up and it all works fine, no region coding can stop me! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!:twisted:

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
please dont bump old threads
Louis-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points