Optional Media Update Download Offline?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by tucker_04 (39 posts) -

Hey guys/girls!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's possible to get the optional media update for the 360 without being connected to live?

Cheers x

#2 Posted by craigalan23 (15879 posts) -
Download it off of xbox.com..
#3 Posted by tucker_04 (39 posts) -

My brother doesn't have an xbox live account so he needs to like I don't know... download it off a website stick it onto a USB stick and the install it to the xbox so he can watch .avi files!? Is this possible? Or something like this?

Cheers for your help/input.

#4 Posted by tucker_04 (39 posts) -
Bumping arhh haaa!
#5 Posted by djrobst (2404 posts) -
Bumping arhh haaa!tucker_04
you can download it with a silver account you know, dont need to pay. and it wont work off a usb stick. if u can download it from the site u will have to burn it to a dvd / cd
#6 Posted by PlasmaBeam44 (9052 posts) -
You have to download it off Xbox.com and burn it as an ISO on a blank disc. Then insert it into your system and install it. It's the exact same as installing dashboard updates.
#7 Posted by michael365 (59 posts) -
I am trying to find this on xbox.com but cannot find it. Any link ?
#8 Posted by miladesn2 (933 posts) -
You can't download optional media update from xbox.com, you only download system updates from there, OMU is about 2MB and you can get it with silver accounts too.
#9 Posted by Talentor (1 posts) -
So is there any chance to download the media update from the internet without live or there isn't any?
#10 Posted by Dazzamac (1 posts) -

Has anyone found an answer to this? I don't have XBoxLive and cannot hook my XBox to the internet in any way shape or form.

I installed NXE off a USB stick thinking it would include the media update but it doesn't. Is there anywhere that has the media update to download?

To clarify, XBL is out of the question so USB or cd install is the only option available to me.

#11 Posted by torakus (2 posts) -
Actually I have downloaded the OMU with a gold and a silver account on my xbox but it doesn't work unless you are signed on to xbox live so I don't see what use it would be for you to download it from somewhere else. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work when I'm offline.
#12 Posted by Nightmaru (2 posts) -
No one's found a solution for this?
#13 Posted by Shadow1477 (2 posts) -

DESPERATELY need an answer for this, too -- My university decided to just BLOCK a whole truckload of friggin' ports so I can't play online, or even access marketplace!!
Thus, I can sign into live, but can't download the update. Most frustrating thing ever. Someone be a hero, please...

#14 Posted by djrobst (2404 posts) -
take it to a friends house and get it there, rememeber to take ur whole xbox, just the hard drive will mean u have no licence for it on ur xbox, if u take ur xbox then it will work offline.
#15 Posted by PuddinPant (1607 posts) -
Oh man I really need this info too. No way to connect to xboxlive and I NEED the optional media update. The worst part about it is that I have the update but stupid microsoft requires you to re-download it every time you take off your HDD.
#16 Posted by yousafkhar (2 posts) -
link for the media update plz
#17 Posted by yousafkhar (2 posts) -
link plz for media update
#18 Posted by crazyboy2737 (5 posts) -

the banned console will not play even if i put the hd of my other xbox on it ....they both have the nxe dash on them but i have been led to believe you cannot move the media update around to play avis as it is locked to the console. this seems to be the case.has anyone ever downloaded the media update from any where and got it working...theres a new update from ms that makes your hd install games..Before i have the fall 2007 update that can play .avi now that I have the new update its not working...not playing anyything except for wmv only...

#19 Posted by imthefendriver (1 posts) -
try this http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-360/how-to/update-xbox-360/system-updates.aspx#burn
#20 Posted by cambo42390 (1 posts) -
http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-360/how-to/update-xbox-360/system-updates.aspx#burn i dont have xbox live and this is how i downloaded it Prob solved
#21 Posted by Amnesiac23 (8291 posts) -
This thread has been brought back from the dead 3 times in 3 years. Just let it rest in peace.