Online Achievements - Your Thoughts, Opinions and Rants

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bandit_Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Bandit_Haze
Member since 2005 • 4950 Posts

I don't mean, whether they should stay or go, fact is they're staying regardless, I'm asking about you general opinion on them.

See, I like online achievements, but I don't like achievements that depend on other people actions. for eg. in PGR3, you have complete 50 online clean races, fine. however even if someone hits you and its completely not your fault it still counts against, and because smashin into other people cars is a good way to get ahead in a race, yeah, everybody does it.

I also don't like online achievements that are so ridiculously hard, that you'd have to be some kind of super great gaming elite genius to be good enough to unlock, BF2:MC I'm lookin at you. either that or know enough peole to willing to lay down for you.

anyway, what do you guys think

subject117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 subject117
Member since 2002 • 4824 Posts

I don't mean, whether they should stay or go, fact is they're staying regardless, I'm asking about you general opinion on them.

See, I like online achievements, but I don't like achievements that depend on other people actions. for eg. in PGR3, you have complete 50 online clean races, fine. however even if someone hits you and its completely not your fault it still counts against, and because smashin into other people cars is a good way to get ahead in a race, yeah, everybody does it.

I also don't like online achievements that are so ridiculously hard, that you'd have to be some kind of super great gaming elite genius to be good enough to unlock, BF2:MC I'm lookin at you. either that or know enough peole to willing to lay down for you.

anyway, what do you guys think

Bandit_Haze
Obviously some of the devs go a little crazy with the difficulty. I think the achievements for Crackdown are perfect. Mostly single player, with only a couple for Live. That's how it should be. It should also depend on your skill. Well, one of the new rules instituted by MS is to limit live achievements anyway... I think we're headed in the right direction.
demon_turkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 demon_turkey
Member since 2004 • 10220 Posts
i like achievements, it keeps me playing a game for longer than i might have after just beating the single player and getting a few rounds of multiplayer in. the harder the achievements, the more badly i want them :P
ffgothic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 ffgothic
Member since 2004 • 1378 Posts
I appreciate online achievements just a tid bit more than offline ones. They just seem more fun to get. I have to agree there are some stupid and ridiculously difficult online achievements in some games, but overall they're a lot of fun.
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
They are a nice touch so you have goals to achieve for a game, while getting rewarded. Although, I'm not an achievement whore. In other words, if I don't get achievements I'm not concerned.
race_suace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 race_suace
Member since 2006 • 1685 Posts
i dont really care 4 then i jus think that they r jus a ##   but like if i unlock 1 ill jus b like kool =3 lol
Bandit_Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bandit_Haze
Member since 2005 • 4950 Posts

They are a nice touch so you have goals to achieve for a game, while getting rewarded. Although, I'm not an achievement whore. In other words, if I don't get achievements I'm not concerned.metallica_fan42

thats a good thing.. you probably don't use as much cuss words as i do when trying to unlock some achievements. lol..

.. anyway, i don't mind hard achievements, but some of the things these guys come up with are just a tad short of insane.

i don't think they should cut down or limit online achievements, i just think that they should make the challenging, just not so hard you feel like cryin

Silomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Silomin
Member since 2004 • 102 Posts
I wish they would stop making achievments for ranked matches only and change it to player and ranked.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

I think some of them are poorly designed. Firstly, any achievement that involves you getting #1 on the leaderboards should be rolled back. It's absolutely rediculous, especially when some of the leaderboards are topped by cheaters.

Then there's achievements like the 10,000 kills in Gears. It takes a long time to get that many, and the only people that have it are the ones that would've been playing that much anyway. It's an artificial lengthening of the game at that rate rather than pure skill. 100 headshots? Skill. Play DOA4 for 100 hours? Tedious.

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
I agree on the player AND ranked matchs. I think they should be set to a max of 300 points online and 700 offline (obviously). Since some games are getting ridicules that you're only getting 400 offline acheivments while the rest online. I feel sorry for the people without live.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
I'm more of a SP person myself, so when I see a majority of achievements catering to MP it turns me off. GoW is pretty well balanced between off-line and on, but I'll probably never get them because I'm not a big MP fanatic. SR is another MP achievement heavy game. So while I don't mind them and understand the devs needing to provide a well-rounded experience, I just probably won't ever get 100% achievements for the games I own. -K
Smoov_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Smoov_B
Member since 2005 • 1129 Posts
I agree that there is too much emphasis on online play for some games. Most do a fair job of balancing it though. And there's certainly some achievements online that are worthy of being rewarded. Points are fun are far as setting goals for yourself but I'm not that into them. What does bother me though is the new trend to limit the number of points that come with the game then add more later through downloads. (eg. Crackdown's 900) If you are tracking points, that's a unfair disadvantage for someone that's not willing to buy content. You paid for the game once. You shouldn't have to pay again to get complete number of points. That's assuming of course that you'll have to pay for the additions...
Atreyu_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Atreyu_basic
Member since 2002 • 2400 Posts
Any game w/ a multiplayer component should split the achievements 750/250 in favour of the single player campaign. I hate playing through an entire game and getting 100 points or so for my effort. If I beat the game, I want most of the points. 
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
Sure keep them in, its fun. But PLEASE stop making it so you have to play ranked matches to get them, OR make it so we can team up, like in Halo 2, for ranked matches. Seriously, I'm not all out nuts trying to get achievements, but they are fun to get, but its NOT fun to play with completely random people all the time.
Atreyu_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Atreyu_basic
Member since 2002 • 2400 Posts
This too. I would play Gears alot more if I could play with friends AND get achievements.
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
i dont really care 4 then i jus think that they r jus a ## but like if i unlock 1 ill jus b like kool =3 lolrace_suace
What?!?!?!
TigerGuy06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TigerGuy06
Member since 2007 • 345 Posts
I don't mind live achievements and I think it makes games a lot more fun, but since I don't have XBL yet they just give me something to look forward to once I move into an apartment that has better internet. Some of the online achievements are just insane and I have no desire of getting. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how I feel about the online achievements once I'm actually able to start getting them.
johngmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 johngmills
Member since 2005 • 4349 Posts
I"m not a big fan of the online achievements...I don't have quality broadband speeds and barely have enough to get downloads at a decent speed....The fact that it makes games look uncompleted is an annoyance.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I hate them. I don't play video games when I want to be social. I play them when I DON'T want to be social. I almost never get any online/multiplayer achievements.
Sp1d3r-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sp1d3r-06
Member since 2006 • 1191 Posts
I like online achievements that are feasable to get, such as the 100 kill ones in Gears. I played quite alot today just to finish those off by getting the 100 hammer kills, so they work well because they are achievable but still quite a challenge (try getting the Hammer on rooftops in a ranked match). Whereas, the stuff on GRAW like getting to no. 1 was ridiculous. So I like online achievements aslong as they're well planned out by the devs.