New Xbox One Owner - Downloading Question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WelshyHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WelshyHawk
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts

Just ordered an Xbox One and can't wait to get started on it. I do have one question about downloading games, however, and I apologize if this has been covered before. Where I live I only get 1.5 Mbps internet which makes downloading games take forever. I'd like to be able to let the system download while we're away for a weekend and not using the internet. With my PS3 it automatically powers down the console once the download is done, is there anything like that on the X1? I don't want to leave my system on for a whole weekend without being there to keep an eye on it.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I'm looking forward to seeing what the X1 has to offer. Thanks!

Gamer_Durandal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Gamer_Durandal
Member since 2014 • 129 Posts

I believe that when the unit is set to 'Instant-On' mode, it will continue downloads and updates when you away. However, if power is interrupted - the unit will go into 'Power Down' mode which stops any of those processes.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Just allow it to download automatically when the X1 is not on and being used. That's ideal for downloading things late at night or when one is away. If you plan on using the console or using something requiring a great deal of your speed, just pause the application.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

You will waiting a long time for updates and downloads on just about everyhing. I'd really look into updating to a better ISP and/or bandwidth if possible or you might be miserable.

WelshyHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WelshyHawk

@lamprey263 said:

You will waiting a long time for updates and downloads on just about everyhing. I'd really look into updating to a better ISP and/or bandwidth if possible or you might be miserable.

Yeah, unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of choices in my area. 1.5 was the best available when we moved in. I'll have to see if any new options have become available since.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Unfortunately, this is an area the Xbone is notoriously slow at (you're speed is awful though making problems worse), but I would recommend you queue the game and just turn off the Xbone.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

No, it's not slow downloading notorious or otherwise.

One thing you can do if you have a friend with a faster service is take a USB drive over there and copy the game onto it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lamprey263

@SolidTy said:

Unfortunately, this is an area the Xbone is notoriously slow at (you're speed is awful though making problems worse), but I would recommend you queue the game and just turn off the Xbone.

seems like an undeserved reputation, last night took me under 2.5 hours to get to get both the 43.61GB of Dragon Age: Inquisition digital download and Life Is Strange: Episode 3's 3.37GB digital download, that's at least 42Mbps if not a bit faster, the only limiting factor on my end appears to be my bandwidth, not MS's XBL network

user internet speeds, that seems to be the case of everyone who complains, not XBL, when those "notorious" all day downloads happen, it's the user's internet connection that's slow

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BusterFriendly

@lamprey263: It's just people only read headlines. What some comparisons are really talking about is old school installing from optical disk and only to initial startup difference of a few minutes.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

I'm sorry to say but you will regret it. I live in NYC and it takes FOREVERRRRR TO DOWNLOAD A GAME. I have literally, gone to work, came back, and it STILL was not done downloading. It is incredibly slow and game breaking. Seriously, I'm not even trying to exaggerate. It fucking takes FOREVER. Be warned.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BusterFriendly

Simple deduction will tell you other people using the same equipment not having that issue eliminates the equipment at the problem. You need to look at your ISP.

WelshyHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WelshyHawk

Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified in my original post: 1.5 Mbps is the fastest I can get with my current provider. I'm currently looking into what some other companies can get me. At this point anything more than what I have would seem like a luxury.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@lamprey263 said:
@SolidTy said:

seems like an undeserved reputation, last night took me under 2.5 hours to get to get both the 43.61GB of Dragon Age: Inquisition digital download and Life Is Strange: Episode 3's 3.37GB digital download, that's at least 42Mbps if not a bit faster, the only limiting factor on my end appears to be my bandwidth, not MS's XBL network

user internet speeds, that seems to be the case of everyone who complains, not XBL, when those "notorious" all day downloads happen, it's the user's internet connection that's slow

@busterfriendly said:

@lamprey263: It's just people only read headlines. What some comparisons are really talking about is old school installing from optical disk and only to initial startup difference of a few minutes.

I think the DL issue is more pronounced if you own multiple machines, but I can say that many gaming websites have covered this Xbone slow downloading issue.

In fact, as luck would have it, our very own website we post at, Gamespot.com, covered this Xbone DL issue a few weeks ago (May 7th, 2015):

Loading Video...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lamprey263

@SolidTy: and if you're aware they made made a SW thread about that then you can find my comments on that bullshit video in there

LordClansman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LordClansman
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

As far as I can tell my Xbox One downloads as fast as my connection goes. I don't have a PS4 but the download speeds were extremely slow in the PS3, if they're using the same servers I don't see why would that change. But hey, maybe it has. But forme with both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One download speeds are the best I can get.

And the fact that games, updates and everything download and install while the console is off or in background is just glorious, I mean last gen it was a torture but now I don't even notice any of it, I can just play fully updated games everytime I turn the console on, in that regard this gen is way better than the previous one.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#17 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6072 Posts

Welcome to the Xbox Family. :)And yes,downloading is slow on the Xbox One.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BusterFriendly

No, it's not. Why do people want to lie about things easily checked?