New Xbox 360!!!!....Hard Drive Compatability

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Plasma-Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Plasma-Dog
Member since 2008 • 390 Posts

I bought the new xbox 360 internal 4 GB on black friday and am wondering what types of Hard Drives are compatable with it. Please respond and thanks.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

Dude I would recommend returning it, seriously.

I bought the 250 gb xbox yesterday because after doing some research I heard that with the 4gb you can't play games online or experience many of a game's options. I was also told that external harddrives are not longer compatible with the new xbox slims. So if you got the 4gb you are stuck with 4gb.

If I am incorrect in this someone can let me know. But I think it would be better for you to just shell out the extra $100 and get the 250gb.

Vance009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vance009
Member since 2010 • 125 Posts

I would take it back too. Cant do a thang with 4 GB and if you want to upgrade it would cost $130 for the 250GB. and yes the old Hard drives do not work.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
Only the official Microsoft hard drives are compatible and they're expensive. You should of just bought the 360 with the 250GB hard drive.
right4dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 right4dead
Member since 2010 • 1062 Posts

I would take it back too. Cant do a thang with 4 GB and if you want to upgrade it would cost $130 for the 250GB. and yes the old Hard drives do not work.

Vance009

the old hard drives still work, you have to open them up and slide the card into the back.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

congrats although if u still have some more money go get a 250 gb i got a 4gb but that was because i only had 200$ and really i just wanted a xbox 360 right then but yes only microsoft ones work.

The_X_Factor_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_X_Factor_9
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts

Oh but the old hard drives do work. You need a Torx T6 and T9 screwdriver to open up the casing. Check videos on Youtube. They're there. I promise. And I swear it works because it works just fine for me. To be honest, it's just a laptop drive with a proprietary connector at the end. The price they are charging for these HDD is absolutely shameful.

Plasma-Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Plasma-Dog
I looked on you tube and found out how to transfer the hard drive, thanks, also @Jurassic85 the 4GB xbox can play online and has all the same features as the 250 GB because it is just simply a hard drive difference, and i do no think i will be able to return it seeing as i bought it bundle with stuff for black friday and probably wouldnt be able to get a similiar deal.
right4dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 right4dead
Member since 2010 • 1062 Posts

Oh but the old hard drives do work. You need a Torx T6 and T9 screwdriver to open up the casing. Check videos on Youtube. They're there. I promise. And I swear it works because it works just fine for me. To be honest, it's just a laptop drive with a proprietary connector at the end. The price they are charging for these HDD is absolutely shameful.

The_X_Factor_9

yep, they work and im not paying $130 for the only slim HDD avaialable which is 250 gigs, i bought my cousin a slim 4gb, and gave him my old 60 gb hard drive, opened it up, plugs it in, added some electric tape to secure it and whoop there it is.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jurassic85

I looked on you tube and found out how to transfer the hard drive, thanks, also @Jurassic85 the 4GB xbox can play online and has all the same features as the 250 GB because it is just simply a hard drive difference, and i do no think i will be able to return it seeing as i bought it bundle with stuff for black friday and probably wouldnt be able to get a similiar deal.Plasma-Dog

Right, take your xbox apart and void the warranty :roll:

I got the 250 gb slim from target, and it came with Alan Wake, Forza 3, and a headset all for $299. Hard to beat that deal, and I don't have to take it apart in order to have a reasonable amount of harddrive space.

No offense, but the 4gb is a rip off. A company shouldn't sell a system that the owner has to take apart and modify in order for it to work properly. Why do you think there were so many black friday deals that involved ONLY the 4gb xbox? Because nobody buys it and they were trying to trick people.

Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stevo7991
Member since 2010 • 1319 Posts

I bought the new xbox 360 internal 4 GB on black friday and am wondering what types of Hard Drives are compatable with it. Please respond and thanks.

Plasma-Dog

Apparently nothing but the 250 GB, also the 4GB is a rip-off completely. No player is gonna take that bullcrap unless they don't support gaming. Besides, its not enough when you want to have any DLC. You either replace it, or buy a 250 GB and take out the 4 GB HDD. Also, I agree on the person above comments.

WMDfreeman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WMDfreeman99
Member since 2007 • 1874 Posts

congrates bro.. deff get the 250 HDD .. i got the new halo reach xbox slim ..outstanding buy but deff u need a 250 HDD.. i install all my games.. they run better.. shorter load times

Nataniel2601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nataniel2601
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
4GB compared to 250GB. I would choose the 250GB (More Space)
iamdanthaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iamdanthaman
Member since 2008 • 2498 Posts

[QUOTE="Plasma-Dog"]I looked on you tube and found out how to transfer the hard drive, thanks, also @Jurassic85 the 4GB xbox can play online and has all the same features as the 250 GB because it is just simply a hard drive difference, and i do no think i will be able to return it seeing as i bought it bundle with stuff for black friday and probably wouldnt be able to get a similiar deal.Jurassic85

Right, take your xbox apart and void the warranty :roll:

I got the 250 gb slim from target, and it came with Alan Wake, Forza 3, and a headset all for $299. Hard to beat that deal, and I don't have to take it apart in order to have a reasonable amount of harddrive space.

No offense, but the 4gb is a rip off. A company shouldn't sell a system that the owner has to take apart and modify in order for it to work properly. Why do you think there were so many black friday deals that involved ONLY the 4gb xbox? Because nobody buys it and they were trying to trick people.

Dude, you don't have to take it apart, check the bottom of your console, there is a piece that pops out so you can remove the HDD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUAPla4SiI8#t=3m30s

Time link didn't work, go to 3m30s.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jurassic85

^^Sure but does that same piece exist on the 4gb? THAT is what we are talking about.

The issue is that (from what I have heard) the 4gb does not contain a physical harddrive, but has virtual harddrive space or something. Also it is not compatible with other harddrives because there is no port for them. Thus, is someone has the 4gb they have to modify their hardware, which I would imagine voids the warranty.

I read a post somewhere about someone trying to play Halo Reach online with the 4gb, but it won't let you because there is not enough space. Besides, considering the great number of downloads that Microsoft offers why would anyone EVER buy a 4gb system when you know you are going to need to buy more space anyway? Just get the 250gb.

iamdanthaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iamdanthaman

Yes, it does, otherwise why would MS sell this:?

http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-hard-drive-250gb-works-with-slim-xbox-360-only/q/sellerid/24120788/loc/108/217110390.html

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jurassic85

http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-hard-drive-250gb-works-with-slim-xbox-360-only/q/sellerid/24120788/loc/108/217110390.html

iamdanthaman

Do you realize how silly you are being?

You just posted a link to a 250gb xbox harddrive that costs about $123. Why would someone buy the 4gb xbox and then pay an additional $123 for a 250gb harddrive when they could have just shelled out the additional $100 and bought the 250gb xbox in the first place? :roll:

Katsumic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Katsumic
Member since 2010 • 253 Posts

The ONLY official Microsoft Hard Drive that will work with the new Xbox 360 S without modification is the 250GB that was linked. Unfortunately, it's $130 MSRP :( You can take the older hard drives (20, 60, 120) and use them - the only difference is the casing. I would assume taking the hard drive casing apart would void a warranty though.

The 4GB model has an internal flash drive or something. There isn't a HDD in the slot :) I wish they would offer a 120GB drive for a more reasonable price, but they are out for money. I personally bought the 4GB model because I like the matte finish a lot more

BzTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BzTheMan
Member since 2010 • 29 Posts
Take it back and get the 250 GB model.
LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

[QUOTE="Vance009"]

right4dead

the old hard drives still work, you have to open them up and slide the card into the back.

Nope, they don't fit.
arcelice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 arcelice
Member since 2007 • 702 Posts

I would assume taking the hard drive casing apart would void a warranty though.

Katsumic
Would it void the warranty of the old hard drive? Or the new console?
MyersB93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 MyersB93
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts
Obviously everyone is going to say take it back ( and their right)
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I still don't see why this issue is a big deal. The 4GB is a replacement for the old ARCADE model which had either 256MB or 512MB of memory. So 4GB is quite a step up. It's for entry level gamers, and people who just want to save their games.

It's not made for real gamers. If you want to install all of your games, or download a lot of games or DLC you need the 250GB HDD version, which replaced the ELITE models.

BTW the old HDD works just fine in the Slims if taken out of the case and plugged directly into the slot. I know two people who have done it. You can also buy the replacement HDD caddy online for like $10 so the HDD fits in there snug.

iamdanthaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 iamdanthaman

[QUOTE="iamdanthaman"]

Jurassic85

You just posted a link to a 250gb xbox harddrive that costs about $123. Why would someone buy the 4gb xbox and then pay an additional $123 for a 250gb harddrive when they could have just shelled out the additional $100 and bought the 250gb xbox in the first place? :roll:

I was not suggesting that anyone actually buy it, that would obviously be a waste of money. I was only pointing out that it is available for purchase, which means that the 4GB console is upgradable. For those asking, taking the case off of the hard drive will void the warranty on the hard drive, but not the console, and It will work just fine, there's no reason to take back the console, just find a guide online that shows how to do it.
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
[QUOTE="Jurassic85"]

[QUOTE="iamdanthaman"]

iamdanthaman

I was not suggesting that anyone actually buy it, that would obviously be a waste of money. I was only pointing out that it is available for purchase, which means that the 4GB console is upgradable. For those asking, taking the case off of the hard drive will void the warranty on the hard drive, but not the console, and It will work just fine, there's no reason to take back the console, just find a guide online that shows how to do it.

that and why do you care about voiding the warrant of the HDD i mean its otherwise just going to collect dust unless your using 2 xboxes
Plasma-Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Plasma-Dog
just for anyone thats wondering i hok]oked up and an external hard drive to it via USB port and its working perfect.
ihatemyhonda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ihatemyhonda
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Will this work? http://www.taobaodao.com/goods-4497.html?gclid=CJTftJadx6UCFQsGbAodxFmBYw

florbastang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 florbastang
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

just for anyone thats wondering i hok]oked up and an external hard drive to it via USB port and its working perfect.Plasma-Dog

Does it recognize ALL of the available HDD space or just 16 GB worth? My understanding is that the 360 will only recognize up to 16 GB per external device.

Anyway, I don't see the problem with the 4 GB model either. It's enough for game saves and some DLC. That's probably enough for a lot of gamers. Otherwise, you can still connect one or more 16 GB flash drives. You can alternate them out too when they fill up. It's not as seamless as a hard drive, but it works for gamers who are only looking to put DLC and demos on them. Obviously, if you want to install games, you'll need a full HDD.

However, you're not just stuck with the official MS one, if you go the 4 GB route. As others have said, it sounds like you can use the older 360 HDD's if you pull them out of the casing and either just stick them in or put them in an enclosure first. You could also buy one of a few laptop hard drives that can be used with the 360 with a little tech savvy (e.g., the WD Scorpio). Newegg sells this HDD for like $46. Then all you'd need is the enclosure, which would be $10-15 with shipping, and then format it with the hddhacker program. It looks like it takes quite a bit of tech savviness, though, and a PC (don't think it works with Macs).

I wonder if we'll see any third party makers come along in the future to make HDD's for less money. I hope so.

florbastang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 florbastang

Will this work? http://www.taobaodao.com/goods-4497.html?gclid=CJTftJadx6UCFQsGbAodxFmBYw

ihatemyhonda
Maybe, but I wouldn't trust that website.
ihatemyhonda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ihatemyhonda

Why not?

ihatemyhonda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ihatemyhonda

Never mind that site has a lot of knock offs..

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts

[QUOTE="Plasma-Dog"]just for anyone thats wondering i hok]oked up and an external hard drive to it via USB port and its working perfect.florbastang

Does it recognize ALL of the available HDD space or just 16 GB worth? My understanding is that the 360 will only recognize up to 16 GB per external device.

Anyway, I don't see the problem with the 4 GB model either. It's enough for game saves and some DLC. That's probably enough for a lot of gamers. Otherwise, you can still connect one or more 16 GB flash drives. You can alternate them out too when they fill up. It's not as seamless as a hard drive, but it works for gamers who are only looking to put DLC and demos on them. Obviously, if you want to install games, you'll need a full HDD.

However, you're not just stuck with the official MS one, if you go the 4 GB route. As others have said, it sounds like you can use the older 360 HDD's if you pull them out of the casing and either just stick them in or put them in an enclosure first. You could also buy one of a few laptop hard drives that can be used with the 360 with a little tech savvy (e.g., the WD Scorpio). Newegg sells this HDD for like $46. Then all you'd need is the enclosure, which would be $10-15 with shipping, and then format it with the hddhacker program. It looks like it takes quite a bit of tech savviness, though, and a PC (don't think it works with Macs).

I wonder if we'll see any third party makers come along in the future to make HDD's for less money. I hope so.

except apparently reach ya know halo xbox's flagship series wont function without an actual harddrive.
benwizkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 benwizkid
Member since 2010 • 29 Posts

If you have an old xbox harddrive and have the know how to get it out and put it in the new one you could go that route. But I would just return it like everyone else is saying. You really do need a good amount of space with all the DLC and whatnot.

Plasma-Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Plasma-Dog

[QUOTE="Plasma-Dog"]just for anyone thats wondering i hok]oked up and an external hard drive to it via USB port and its working perfect.florbastang

I was hoping it would allow all 320 GB, but sadly it only allows the 16 GB, which is enough for me because i just need some game saves and a little DLC, nothing too big.
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jurassic85

In my opinion a company shouldn't sell a console that requires modification in order for one of its own exclusives (Halo Reach) to work fully.

florbastang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 florbastang
P.S. You can get generic/3rd party hard drives for the Slim for $70 on eBay. They come with a six month warranty to boot. I'd consider returning my 4 GB version for a 250 GB version to get the official on for $30ish more, but then I'd lose Mass Effect 2 and Modern Warfare 2!
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jurassic85

^^Sweet. Do they sell those 3rd party drives places other than Ebay?

florbastang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 florbastang
Possibly online from overseas sites. I don't think I'd trust them. I'd only go with the US sellers on eBay.