New 360 Dashboard: "You don't have to use it"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dapmediainc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 dapmediainc
Member since 2004 • 727 Posts

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=193664

Microsoft has answered the call. I'm 36 years old and thank GOD, I don't have to use the avatars.:D

terdoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 terdoo
Member since 2006 • 5306 Posts
So basically now everyone can stop complaining about not liking the avatars.(thank god)
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
what's you being 36 have to do with anything?
Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
As someone who hardly ever uses the guide and just jumps straight to disk this is really great. Now I can just do anything I need to do in the guide while my game is paused.
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
I don't really see the big deal with avatars. I'll use them, I guess....but I don't know why people hate them.
DarthMegalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 DarthMegalon
Member since 2002 • 1210 Posts
What does being 36 have to do with you not wanting to use avatars? I assume you thought they were too "kiddy" or something? But what if you could make your avatar wear Gears of War armor or somethign? Would you use it then? I'm just wondering why people are barfing so much about the avatars.
brad52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 brad52
Member since 2004 • 269 Posts
can u use themes with the new update? cuz all that grey is ugly.
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts
Anyone have a screenshot of the new dashboard? Haven't seen it yet.
Knubbz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Knubbz360
Member since 2007 • 470 Posts
Well, you actually do still have to use it, assuming you don't like to leave your game disc inside the console when you're done playing, like myself. Microsoft should just get rid of the avatars since that's the only thing people apparently don't like, otherwise I think the rest of the dashboard looks great.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

Anyone have a screenshot of the new dashboard? Haven't seen it yet.KH-mixerX
Sure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majornelson/2674486108/in/set-72157606205914939/

Here is a walkthrough of some of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
Anyone have a screenshot of the new dashboard? Haven't seen it yet.KH-mixerX

BlueTimber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BlueTimber
Member since 2004 • 722 Posts
Yea, videogame related gear would be awesome. Costumes like in Bomberman that are unlocked.
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
i may have a choice but im going with the new dashboard it awesome.
Civfan333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Civfan333
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
I hope to be able to use stuff from video game characters, like master chief helmet, Fenix's armor, and dawnfang from Oblivion..
Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts
That's cool. choice is a good thing for the consumer to have.
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

It's amazing how easily confused people get. Everyone will have the new dashboard, its in the update, you'll get it if you want it or not. Theres no option to keep the current set-up. What they mean by not having to use it is that you can start a game in the disk drive when you cut the 360 on and bypass the dashboard. Then hit your gamer guide and itll be about the same as the current dashboard is now. Avatars are optional, but you're getting the new dashboard.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

So basically now everyone can stop complaining about not liking the avatars.(thank god)terdoo

dammit!......*must..think..of..a..new...complaint.* haha

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

[QUOTE="KH-mixerX"]Anyone have a screenshot of the new dashboard? Haven't seen it yet.II-FBIsniper-II

Sure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majornelson/2674486108/in/set-72157606205914939/

Here is a walkthrough of some of it.

Thanks. I don't like it.

Firex777x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Firex777x
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

i like the blade design a little bit better

but all of the features the new one has it's amazing!

Gedden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gedden
Member since 2006 • 789 Posts
Choice is good. No one can argue that at least.
bakerskate21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 bakerskate21
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts
I don't have x-box live so how will i get this new dashboard???
ozzdog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ozzdog123
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
Well Im not a huge fan of the avatars and whatever,but since its free and it comes with the new update,ima try it out and see how it is
linklb4130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 linklb4130
Member since 2003 • 1737 Posts
at first i didnt like it, but the more i see and understand how it functions, the more i like it. I dont really like the Avatar, but I do like the new look.
bakerskate21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bakerskate21
I am completley agreeing with you... I am ok without the avatar but the new dashboard is pretty cool...
haven79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 haven79
Member since 2007 • 707 Posts
i just wish the avatars werent so little kidish. i dont want to feel like im playing on a wii.
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

I don't have x-box live so how will i get this new dashboard???bakerskate21

Game discs eventually come with the update on it. So, you'd pop in say Gears of War 2 and you'll get the option to install.

Also, I believe MS posts a downloadable version on xbox.com you can burn to a CD.

Both of these options don't happen right away. You may have to wait weeks or months.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I'm glad its optional. I don't want it thrust on me without choice, but over time will probably end up using it as I grow used to it
papercut18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 papercut18
Member since 2007 • 86 Posts
i looks hot but can we get straight to something on da dashboard while playin a game
bakerskate21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bakerskate21

[QUOTE="bakerskate21"]I don't have x-box live so how will i get this new dashboard???b11051973

Game discs eventually come with the update on it. So, you'd pop in say Gears of War 2 and you'll get the option to install.

Also, I believe MS posts a downloadable version on xbox.com you can burn to a CD.

Both of these options don't happen right away. You may have to wait weeks or months.

ok thanks bro

halo3-player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 halo3-player
Member since 2006 • 6036 Posts
I don't really see the big deal with avatars. I'll use them, I guess....but I don't know why people hate them.Trickshot771
I don't have x-box live so how will i get this new dashboard???bakerskate21
on disk next year
franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 franky_babylon
Member since 2008 • 1117 Posts
[QUOTE="b11051973"]

[QUOTE="bakerskate21"]I don't have x-box live so how will i get this new dashboard???bakerskate21

ok thanks bro

Just a question if you cant get Xbox Live I assume you dont have internet access how are you on these forums and how do you plan to get the update because even silver accounts which are free get the update no need to pay for online if thats the problem
franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 franky_babylon
It's amazing how many people complain and don't listen or read it was said at E3 and after on forums and in mags the avatars are optional the update is not however. I'm 28 and was born in the hood and lead the life some people describe as gangasta but have relocated and I will use the avatars, plus I know some rappers that cant wait to use them too, so stop with all the I'm too hard for avatars.
IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts
How can this be a problem? This is so funny to me. If someone states " Im 40 I dont use avatars"...yet the entire time they are playing Video Games. lol. Crazy stuff.
franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 franky_babylon

i just wish the avatars weren't so little kidish. i dont want to feel like im playing on a wii. haven79
I don't mean to insult you but I want to use you as a example how kiddish is avatars when you play Viva Pinata and the sequel? Please stop it people with I'm a MAN excuse, avatars are used everywhere to express how or what you want to look like or the type of person you are, MS is trying to help make Live a better community that's why you have BIOs,mottos and Gamer Pics to let people know more about you, those with out a Live Vision Cam will be able to show some what they look like also.

MS had to find a middle ground with avatars since Wii's look like Fisher Price little people and Sony's HOME will use avatars that look more like real people they used something in between. What happens when MS lets you customize your avatar with GOW and Halo or other apparels, then all the people change their mind and yell YEAH AVATARS FTW!

whiteboyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 whiteboyyy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I think i'll use the new dashboard. I don't care about the avatars at all but it looks cool.
bakerskate21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bakerskate21
[QUOTE="bakerskate21"][QUOTE="b11051973"]

[QUOTE="bakerskate21"]I don't have x-box live so how will i get this new dashboard???franky_babylon

ok thanks bro

Just a question if you cant get Xbox Live I assume you dont have internet access how are you on these forums and how do you plan to get the update because even silver accounts which are free get the update no need to pay for online if thats the problem

I just havn't got live yet.... I don't have the time to go out and get it yet...

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
dude u dont need to go out and get live if u hook ur xbox up to the internet with a cable to ur router/cable modem then sign up for a silver account, u get all the updates and can download demos etc for free. plus they will give u 1 month of gold free for signing up to silver. u dont need to go out and buy a live card or have a credit card on file u can get 1 month for free just by registering with ur xbox online
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 djrobst
i dont want avatars unless u can have a red t-shirt and white trousers buts whats the chances of that
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#39 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
can u use themes with the new update? cuz all that grey is ugly.brad52
Yes

They look really good with themes
MCosta528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MCosta528
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts

i jus wanna see how people choose to make their avatars, i'm sure many people will make them look funny, some normal, and i'm sure many are just going to take it way tooo seriously, but whatever..... i jus wanna see the post someone makes in the future for funniest avatars

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 djrobst

[QUOTE="haven79"]i just wish the avatars weren't so little kidish. i dont want to feel like im playing on a wii. franky_babylon

I don't mean to insult you but I want to use you as a example how kiddish is avatars when you play Viva Pinata and the sequel? Please stop it people with I'm a MAN excuse, avatars are used everywhere to express how or what you want to look like or the type of person you are, MS is trying to help make Live a better community that's why you have BIOs,mottos and Gamer Pics to let people know more about you, those with out a Live Vision Cam will be able to show some what they look like also.

MS had to find a middle ground with avatars since Wii's look like Fisher Price little people and Sony's HOME will use avatars that look more like real people they used something in between. What happens when MS lets you customize your avatar with GOW and Halo or other apparels, then all the people change their mind and yell YEAH AVATARS FTW!

lmao at vina pinata etc, deffos a kiddish game no point trying to act tough over it when u play games like that, im sure they will be enough choice in options for avatars anyways to please everyone. all we probs seen is the default choices
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

[QUOTE="haven79"]i just wish the avatars weren't so little kidish. i dont want to feel like im playing on a wii. franky_babylon

Stop with the generalization that people who don't like this new update are "too manly."

I, like a smart, sophisticated style when I turn on my electronics. I don't want to turn on my 360 and see a virtual doll that's supposed to represent me in some way. I will turn the thing off.