Negative points / aspects of Mafia II

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iamidea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 iamidea
Member since 2005 • 44 Posts

These are some of the negative points (cons) in Mafia II as portrayed in a few video game blogs and previews even before its release…

1. Driving is a mini-map game.

We all know that Empire city – the fictional city of Mafia II looks beautiful and well planned... But you are not provided with much opportunity of sight-seeing while driving in missions..because the mini-map is always on and you just get used to watch the mini-map only for driving from destination A to B..Further, there is no GPS like in GTA 4 (you can't expect one!).

2. Cops are more troublesome.

Cops are more punitive in Mafia 2 even for petty offences like overspeeding and running over red lights, etc. So you can't play with leisure…

3. Small map.

Some have pointed out that the map is very detailed but looks small in terms of size…

4. No country-side

Adding to that, there are no country side areas which were even included in Mafia 1. (In fact, the most memorable moments in Mafia 1 includes entering the country side after leaving the hustle-bustles of city life)

5. No blindfire.

Cover system is included in Mafia 2…But you cannot blindfire at your opponents during cover (which other contemporary games allow)

6. No Day-Night cycles.

No day-night cycles...The mission dictates the time… It may add to the realism. But the big question of freedom???

7. No swapping between songs.

Great songs belonging to the era…right…but you cannot change between the songs... Another restraint to your freedom.

8. Uncanny valley.

The trailers and the cut-scenes released so far showed high detailed characters and environments…But some felt that some parts in the facial motion of the characters do not move well with others.. In other words, the developers have also fallen into the infamous 'Uncanny Valley' while trying to create photo realistic characters.

9. Vulgarity.

Playboy collections with nude models in Mafia II…nice thought and additions..But who are ready to open the nude picture in your living room when people are around? (it is said that the nude picture occupies the whole of your tv screen when opened)

10. Same story as old Mafia??

Could it be the same story as the old mafia where the hero plays the rat in the end..

11. Copy of Goodfellas??

Some of the scenes showed so far have more resemblance to the Martin Scorcese gangster film..Could it be due to the lack of originality?

12. More resemblance to GTA 4.

The story also seems very much similar to GTA 4 where too the hero is a soldier and is coming home from the ship (here 'train') and meets a fun-loving character Roman, his cousin(here 'his friend), to start his crime journey.

13. No multiplayer.

Finally, there is no multiplayer…

When Mafia II was announced way back in 2007 with a top-notch trailer, everyone thought that it could fetch the GOTY (Game of the Year)..But with all these criticisms leveled against it, I doubt it will? What do you think guys?

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

Demo comes out on PSN and LIVE on August 10th, I'll wait to reserve judgement til then.

Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Urban_Flow
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts
[QUOTE="iamidea"]

These are some of the negative points (cons) in Mafia II as portrayed in a few video game blogs and previews even before its release…

We all know that Empire city – the fictional city of Mafia II looks beautiful and well planned... But you are not provided with much opportunity of sight-seeing while driving in missions..because the mini-map is always on and you just get used to watch the mini-map only for driving from destination A to B..Further, there is no GPS like in GTA 4 (you can't expect one!).

Cops are more punitive in Mafia 2 even for petty offences like overspeeding and running over red lights, etc. So you can't play with leisure…

3. Small map.

Some have pointed out that the map is very detailed but looks small in terms of size…

4. No country-side

Adding to that, there are no country side areas which were even included in Mafia 1. (In fact, the most memorable moments in Mafia 1 includes entering the country side after leaving the hustle-bustles of city life)

5. No blindfire.

Cover system is included in Mafia 2…But you cannot blindfire at your opponents during cover (which other contemporary games allow)

6. No Day-Night cycles.

No day-night cycles...The mission dictates the time… It may add to the realism. But the big question of freedom???

Great songs belonging to the era…right…but you cannot change between the songs... Another restraint to your freedom.

8. Uncanny valley.

The trailers and the cut-scenes released so far showed high detailed characters and environments…But some felt that some parts in the facial motion of the characters do not move well with others.. In other words, the developers have also fallen into the infamous 'Uncanny Valley' while trying to create photo realistic characters.

9. Vulgarity.

Playboy collections with nude models in Mafia II…nice thought and additions..But who are ready to open the nude picture in your living room when people are around? (it is said that the nude picture occupies the whole of your tv screen when opened)

Could it be the same story as the old mafia where the hero plays the rat in the end..

11. Copy of Goodfellas??

Some of the scenes showed so far have more resemblance to the Martin Scorcese gangster film..Could it be due to the lack of originality?

The story also seems very much similar to GTA 4 where too the hero is a soldier and is coming home from the ship (here 'train') and meets a fun-loving character Roman, his cousin(here 'his friend), to start his crime journey.

13. No multiplayer.

When Mafia II was announced way back in 2007 with a top-notch trailer, everyone thought that it could fetch the GOTY (Game of the Year)..But with all these criticisms leveled against it, I doubt it will? What do you think guys?

I don't give a crap what reviews/previews/critics have to say.I know im gonna like the game.
Avatar image for positivebalance
positivebalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 positivebalance
Member since 2010 • 2352 Posts

who cares about blindfire? i never understood the appeal of that mechanic at all. it's so worthless. and if it's anything like goodfellas, (my favorite film of all time) then i'm all for it. personally, i can't wait for mafia II.

Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Urban_Flow
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

who cares about blindfire? i never understood the appeal of that mechanic at all. it's so worthless. and if it's anything like goodfellas, (my favorite film of all time) then i'm all for it. personally, i can't wait for mafia II.

positivebalance
Same here.
money-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 money-gamerz
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts
Theres an article about that on moneygamerz.com, but id say the egatives are too similar to gta, but the graphics are decent
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I really want this game...most of the points are good but that won't stop me from getting my hands on it.

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

I didn't like the first one, so I probably want get this one.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#9 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

those arent game breaking but odd/out of place in comparison to the typical genre standard. very weird, especially the day/night cycle thing.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Good points. I highly agree that those are all cons. I can't believe that some of those things are not implemented in the game. Like blind-fire? Seriously? That should be a given. And the fact that there will be a demo out before the game releases pretty much says it all. I predict a solid game around 8.0-8.5.
XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

Well from what I read, there is a GPS type thing in the game. Plus this game is supposed to be a more realistic sandbox game, which I personally am happy for, so it makes sense that the cops would stop you from speeding or ramming into another car. If it is like Goodfellas, I will be ecstatic, best movie of all time. As for the nudity, who cares? Boobs FTW! lol. I never liked blind fire. Why use it when there is a more accurate aiming method? With the comparison to GTA 4, really it is similar to all GTA games that way, but it is only one aspect and it is IMO, the best way to start the story. Idk about the multiplayer, I never liked multiplayer in sandbox games (except Red Dead).

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

If it's still good, I'll enjoy it, hopefully as much as the original, or close.

Logan1616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Logan1616
Member since 2008 • 3424 Posts
Wow, TC you don't know much about Mafia II. It is a SIMULATION, not an arcade murdering spree like GTA IV. Don't compare the two, they're severely different.
nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
I'm actually happy with the day/night and dynamic weather being mission specific because it will just add to creating those great moments the game devs wanted all along. Also some missions were explained to only make sense during night or day like breaking into a warehouse would be done at night while delivering goods to a family friend would be done during the day.
Logan1616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Logan1616
Member since 2008 • 3424 Posts
I'm actually happy with the day/night and dynamic weather being mission specific because it will just add to creating those great moments the game devs wanted all along. Also some missions were explained to only make sense during night or day like breaking into a warehouse would be done at night while delivering goods to a family friend would be done during the day. nate_c-12
Exactly.
positivebalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 positivebalance

Good points. I highly agree that those are all cons. I can't believe that some of those things are not implemented in the game. Like blind-fire? Seriously? That should be a given. And the fact that there will be a demo out before the game releases pretty much says it all. I predict a solid game around 8.0-8.5. Elian2530

these are gangsters. not military commandos. :| in every gangster movie i've seen, i've never seen a mafioso blind fire. i've watched every single sopranos episode, and never saw it either. i always see that unrealistic crap in action films.

XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

[QUOTE="Elian2530"]Good points. I highly agree that those are all cons. I can't believe that some of those things are not implemented in the game. Like blind-fire? Seriously? That should be a given. And the fact that there will be a demo out before the game releases pretty much says it all. I predict a solid game around 8.0-8.5. positivebalance

these are gangsters. not military commandos. :| in every gangster movie i've seen, i've never seen a mafioso blind fire. i've watched every single sopranos episode, and never saw it either. i always see that unrealistic crap in action films.

this

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

3. Small map.

4. No country-side

5. No blindfire.

6. No Day-Night cycles.

8. Uncanny valley.

9. Vulgarity.

11. Copy of Goodfellas??

13. No multiplayer.

iamidea

1. Well when i play i do not have the map open all the time. I mean, stating that the map is small and having your map open all the time kinda does not make sense. Byt the time i was middleway through with the original Mafia i already knew the streets very well - so no need for opening the Map anymore.

2.This is a realistic game. Do you know how many times i would run over a pedestrian or hit the back of the police car (barely) in GTA IV and cops would not even bother with me. Pathetic! In Mafia you need to watch out for things like this, and is as realistic as it can be. Basically, put yourself into the shoes of a mafioso. You do not want any attention from the cops.

3. The Mafia (usually) works in their own territory. Smaller map, means easier to navigate within your own neighbourhood/territory.

4. Are you sure about that? There is no way you would know, or anyone for that matter, whether Mafia 2 does not have missions in the country-side.Without playing the game that is.

5. Again part of the relism the game brings. If Marcus Fenix can be hidden behind a wall and still manages to shoot everything in his way, does not mean that our friend Vito would waist any ammo on good luck and fortune...

6. In the original Mafia, the story dictated whether the mission occurs during the night or the day. Story-driven open-world game is different that GTAIV which is more relaxed as far as story, meaning you can do whatever you want before continuing with the story.

7. Well i wish they had Vladivostok FM so we can listen to some Ruslana and Wild Dances, but this is the 40s...

8. We will see once we got to play to game.

9. If this is true, great! This is a game for mature audience, there is no way if you are not ok with things like this, that you will be mature enough. It is all part of the game (Did you enjoy the strip clubs in GTAiV? That's what i thought, then what is the problem..Ha ha)

10. You never know before you play the game.By the way could you put SPOILER mark on point.10. Some of the folks have not played original Mafia and you just spoilt the game for the them.

11.One of the best movies ever! The more resemblence the game carries to it, the better.

12. We will see when we play the game.

13. Mass Effect 2 is a game of the year material and it does not have a multiplayer. Mafia is single-player experience, i am more than happy with that left alone.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

[QUOTE="positivebalance"]

[QUOTE="Elian2530"]Good points. I highly agree that those are all cons. I can't believe that some of those things are not implemented in the game. Like blind-fire? Seriously? That should be a given. And the fact that there will be a demo out before the game releases pretty much says it all. I predict a solid game around 8.0-8.5. XxChicagoTedXx

this

What's wrong with blind fire? Its not like its a guarranteed kill if you do it...Its pretty unaccurate and is used if the enemies are out of cover and have a high percentage of being hit by thebullets, only in action fillms a guy will blind fire and kill everything but its not cheap in games at all.

And now "gangsters never blind fire"? You HAVE been watching too much tv.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
day one purhase for me
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chex81

[QUOTE="Elian2530"]Good points. I highly agree that those are all cons. I can't believe that some of those things are not implemented in the game. Like blind-fire? Seriously? That should be a given. And the fact that there will be a demo out before the game releases pretty much says it all. I predict a solid game around 8.0-8.5. positivebalance

i've seen blind fire is many older mafia films...they never hit the guy but they do it. Military Commandos are the last guys to use blind fire, they're professional marksmen...i would image blindfire is a wasteful resource. Where in the mob, especially back in the 50-60's, blind shooting was used as a strategy. of course this is all based on my movie watching knowledge and not actual facts lol.

positivebalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 positivebalance

[QUOTE="Elian2530"]Good points. I highly agree that those are all cons. I can't believe that some of those things are not implemented in the game. Like blind-fire? Seriously? That should be a given. And the fact that there will be a demo out before the game releases pretty much says it all. I predict a solid game around 8.0-8.5. chex81

i've seen blind fire is many older mafia films...they never hit the guy but they do it. Military Commandos are the last guys to use blind fire, they're professional marksmen...i would image blindfire is a wasteful resource. Where in the mob, especially back in the 50-60's, blind shooting was used as a strategy. of course this is all based on my movie watching knowledge and not actual facts lol.

if you're basing your knowledge on films, than i'll base mine on a videogame. in R6V you play as a commando and he blind fires. in reality the mafia doesn't even have long range firefights, they usually just execute people close range, without the victim knowing. but a game is a game:lol:

positivebalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 positivebalance

[QUOTE="XxChicagoTedXx"]

Jagged3dge

this

What's wrong with blind fire? Its not like its a guarranteed kill if you do it...Its pretty unaccurate and is used if the enemies are out of cover and have a high percentage of being hit by thebullets, only in action fillms a guy will blind fire and kill everything but its not cheap in games at all.

in real life, the mafia isn't as exciting and violent as they're portrayed in the media. yeah they commit murder, but they're usually just quick, silent hits rather than massive gunfights taking place in the streets of new york or wherever.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I didn't read one single revelation in this thread that made me want to cancel my pre-order. I love what I've seen from this game so far, and will look forward to trying the demo.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chex81

[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]

[QUOTE="XxChicagoTedXx"]

this

positivebalance

in real life, the mafia isn't as exciting and violent as they're portrayed in the media. yeah they commit murder, but they're usually just quick, silent hits rather than massive gunfights taking place in the streets of new york or wherver.

this is very true, i've had quite a few mafia related busts in my hometown. there was never any riot gun fights, and when there was a death it was generally drive by with no witness. hmmmmmmmmm fishy lol. either way i couldn't care less if they incorporated blindfire or not, im tired of sandbox games and not interested to play this. the combat looks awesome, but i cant be bothered to play repetitive missions anymore.

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Glitches for sure. I was fighting this dude I get stuck on a trailer (inside one). I saw some youtube videos about that.