need help with dhcp (and don't give me cross over cable or bridging advice)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blankminded34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blankminded34
Member since 2007 • 923 Posts

heres my set up

cable modem-> wireless router-> acer vista laptop-> ethernet cable to 360

worked before i turned of my 360, unplugged the ethernet cord and plugged my laptop's ethernet cable directly into the router (because i lose wireless internet when someone is on the cordless phone and i was doing something important on the internet)

phone call ended and i placed the computer back where it was plugged the 360 back into the laptop and now it say "your console was unable to negotiate a lease with your DHCP server. make sure that addresses are available on your server"

i tried unplugging everything and turning them back on starting from the modem up the order.

what do i do now?

anjilslaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 anjilslaire
Member since 2002 • 347 Posts

plugged the 360 back into the laptop

Wait, you have your 360 plugged into your laptop? You're using ICS through a wireless laptop... You're bound to have problems with your connection, even if you haven't before. I strong recommend running a network cable from the router to the 360, or getting a wireless device for the 360 itself. Sharing a connection through another Windows box can be pretty flaky.

OneLessFinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OneLessFinger
Member since 2006 • 1121 Posts

plus make sure your resetting in the proper order, unplug everything (preferrably with devices off) and power on mdm, wait for all lights to come on, then plug in router, then turn on pc, then whatever else you need connection to

however I would also strongly advise you connect direct to the router......your gonna continue to have problems with your current setup