Need a good couch co-op RPGish game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chaay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Chaay
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts
I'm looking for strictly RPGish (either broadly or specifically), so not looking for Gears or any straight up shooters. Must be offline, same console co-op that allow us to play through the game's campaign together. Doesn't have to be an outstanding game, just a fun co-op experience. I was considering the following two, which are both pretty cheap: Hunted: The Demon's Forge (5.0 -- http://www.gamespot.com/hunted-the-demons-forge/reviews/hunted-the-demons-forge-review-6316955/) Dungeon Siege III (6.5 -- http://www.gamespot.com/dungeon-siege-iii/reviews/dungeon-siege-iii-review-6320324/) A few that we played and liked were Cursed Crusade (crappy game, but we had fun), Lord of the Rings: War in the North, and Tomb Raider: Guardian of Light (has RPG elements to it). Please give me your eligible recommendations! ;D
adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

Im having alot of fun playing Defiance!! 

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Skyrim

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I have played both Hunted: Demon's Forge and Dungeon Siege 3 in an offline co-op mode and both games are decent. If you are looking for more RPG elements go with Dunegon Siege 3.

Some more recommendations would be Sacred 2, Borderlands series (shooter with RPG elements)..All of those support offline co-op/split-screen game modes.

Good luck!

JJnyg24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JJnyg24
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts

I mostly prefer old school style couch co-op, some of the enjoyable ones that have rpg elements of upgrading character abilities/traits are the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games and Castle Crashers.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Skyrim

sukraj

He specifically says 'co-op' RPG. So no Skyrim.

Dungeon Siege 3 coems to mind as a local co-op game. Also Lord of the Rings: War in the North, but you said you've played that. There aren't many, unfortunately.

Witchsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Witchsight
Member since 2004 • 12145 Posts
I got quite a bit of mileage with Dungeon Defenders while playing co-op with my gal pal. More tower defence than RPG, but its very random loot heavy, and theres a million ways to spend your money on upgrades. Sacred II was recommended to me, but it was a little buggy and I didnt play much of it. Seems like it has potential if you stick with it. I would suggest Portal 2 as well, just because its such a great co-op experience.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I'd go with Dungeon Siege 3 from your considerations. It has good rpg elements that are great for co-op fun. As for others, you could try Crimson Alliance and Castle Crashers (has light RPG elements).
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

I have played both Hunted: Demon's Forge and Dungeon Siege 3 in an offline co-op mode and both games are decent. If you are looking for more RPG elements go with Dunegon Siege 3.

Some more recommendations would be Sacred 2, Borderlands series (RPG with SHOOTING elements)..All of those support offline co-op/split-screen game modes.

Good luck!

EvilSelf
FIXED ! Theres no doubt in my mind that Borderlands uses a good, ol'fashion SkinnerBox formula, like Mass Effect 1 and Skyrim.
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
Loved Castle Crashers, and still enjoy Borderlands a lot (1 and 2). Both are great for Co-Op.
i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts
[QUOTE="Witchsight"]I got quite a bit of mileage with Dungeon Defenders while playing co-op with my gal pal. More tower defence than RPG, but its very random loot heavy, and theres a million ways to spend your money on upgrades. Sacred II was recommended to me, but it was a little buggy and I didnt play much of it. Seems like it has potential if you stick with it. I would suggest Portal 2 as well, just because its such a great co-op experience.

Dungeon Defenders is incredible, so I second this. One of the best co-op games I've played in a while. Excellent strategy elements, but the loot drops are kind of disappointing. There's a lot of time between one good weapon to the next, and grinding for money can take AGES. Stupid expensive dragons anyway... Sacred 2, well... I loved it, my wife thought it was good, but there are a LOT of problems with it. Horrible mapping (and way too many dead ends and roundabouts), horrible hit detection makes it feel like you never actually make contact during combat, sketchy graphics... it's a bit of a mess. But it's fun, and there is a lot to do. I'd put Castle Crashers in the pile, an excellent serving of RPG/Beat-em-up from Behemoth that should not be missed. Dungeon Siege 3 is okay, nothing special. If I were you, I'd go to ebay and find baldur's gate 2 for xbox. It's still the best co-op hack and slash available on a MS system in my mind. Might be pricey, as it's rare, but it's worth it and backwards compatible. Dungeons and Dragons Heroes is also good, but it's basically a stripped back version of baldur's gate. EDIT: For reference, here's a list of all couch co-op games. Filter to your liking!
Chaay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chaay
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts
I'd love more recommendations, and thanks to all who've replied. Dungeon Defenders looks great, but what kind of co-op is it? Can we play through a campaign together, or is it just grinding random maps? I forgot to say that I've already played through Borderlands and Castle Crashers. I'm probably going with Dungeon Siege 3 first based on your recommendations, but what's after? Is Sacred 2 a long game? Is it good playing off one screen?
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

X Men Legends

X Men Legends 2

Marvel UA

Marvel UA 2.

All brawlers with RPG elements, albeit shallow. 

But great fun especially if you're a massive fan of superheroes like moi.

PurpleSmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 PurpleSmile
Member since 2010 • 1068 Posts
Borderlands is really good to play with friends its fun especially if you're into shooter. Im not sure but if you can get to play Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms on a current gen, that would be pretty fun (or if you still have your ps2). Its one of the best RPG ive ever played with my friends back in the day. lol
Katsumic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Katsumic
Member since 2010 • 253 Posts

Dungeon Siege 3 is good co-op fun :)

As for Sacred 2, it is an extremely long game. If you are someone who likes to do every side quest you run into, it'll easily be a 100+ hour game. Even the main quest is very lengthy. It's Diablo / Titan Quest style, top-down ARPG. It has its bugs and quirks, but I found it to be really fun co-op :)

If you are into JRPG's at all, Tales of Vesperia is a great game. It doesn't really have any grinding (I never did), but it follows the routine of story / some combat / more story / more combat, etc. It's co-op in combat only, but I still enjoyed it a lot with a group of friends - just pass around the controller ;)

Dungeon Defenders is another solid choice. I think the Xbox version only has the 4 base classes, but still a ton of fun! It's a hybrid of Tower Defense and action. You spend time building towers (ranging from Magic Missile, Fireball, to defensive walls) and then start a wave of enemies in which you can run around and kill them too. I'm pretty sure there's a demo available on XBLA.

veeerules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 veeerules
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

DH and I are also looking for co-op games, but we each have a ps3.

We did enjoy the Scott Pilgrim game. It has couch co-op, rpg elements, and it is an old-fashioned beat em up.

veeerules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 veeerules
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

DH and I are also looking for co-op games, but we each have a ps3.

We did enjoy the Scott Pilgrim game. It has couch co-op, rpg elements, and it is an old-fashioned beat em up.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Trine 2 ! Its got 3 player local co-op. Plus its the Ultimate RPG ! Yes I'm dead serious.
Staith_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Staith_UK
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Can't go wrong with a bit of Diablo 3. Great co-op couch play.
Staith_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Staith_UK
Can't go wrong with a bit of Diablo 3. Great co-op couch play.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Skyrim

sukraj

Did you even read what he said?

Anyway, Diablo III!

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Skyrim

sukraj

Did you even read what he said?

Anyway, Diablo III!

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel is AWESOME. Cheap and totally worth it, had so much fun with that game, even by myself. But it's got fun co-op too.

Diablo 3 is also another great one.

Those are the main two I can think of right now.

wyshouldi02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wyshouldi02
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

HEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY you have to read this my man, Lord of the Rings War in the North is a fantastic offline co-op game. The combat is super tight, there's plenty of loot, and it has the character customisation elements of an RPG. I've sunk hours into this game with mates, it's just one of those games that passes the time so well. Enjoy!

AHH sheeeeeit haha saw you'd played this in your initial post. Well then, I recommend playing it again on hard!

Mandusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Mandusa

Here is a list for ya

Top 10 Co-op RPGs

Ahiru-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 Ahiru-San
Member since 2006 • 1375 Posts

No preference in order, depending on your tastes (check table for references)

legendexplanation
#p# of players
scsplit screen
ssimple (like zelda or easy RPG games, not so many equiment/skills to manage etc)
eextended (skilltree, skillpoints, tons of loot, inventory management etc)
aRPGaction hack-n-slash RPG
FPSyou know.. but with RPG elements (level, skills, xp, loot etc etc)
3PS3rd person semi-shooter with RPG elements like above
XBLAxbox live arcade game
  • Diablo 3 (4p e/aRPG)
  • Bordelands 2 (2p sc/e/FPS)
  • Sacred 2 (2p e/aRPG)
  • Hunted (2p e/3PS)
  • Arkadian Warriors (XBLA, 2p s/aRPG)
  • Crimson Alliance (XBLA, 4p s/aRPG)
  • Eternal Sonata (3p I think e/aRPG)
  • Fable II and III (2p e/aRPG)

My personal favorites would be Diablo and Borderlands, two completely different games, but awesome especially as a couch co-op game goes.