Natal consumes just 10 to 15 per cent of the Xbox's computing resources

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

Long but interesting article.

It really shows Microsoft has put a lot of work into Project Natal. I personally don't have the space in my room for anything really phsyical. I guess the living room will be where most people use it, like in the E3 video.

As for it being software enabled rather than hardware, it makes sense from a cost stance. You don't have to buy new hardware since it can be updated, and as many developers have stated, few if any games even take 100% of the system so far. Either way, I'll be one of the first to try the demos in stores like Best Buy when it comes out.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

I'm not going to knock what Natal is in principle, because I'm sure it means something to someone, but I have zero interest in it.

Ryan_as

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ryan_as
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts
Like most Xbox 360 related products/games, I'm interested. I'm interested mainly in how Microsoft will make it work, it probably does work (like in the videos) and is functional but I'm just a positive sceptic right now I guess. But the article is good. We'll just have to wait and see.
ForeverNHim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ForeverNHim
Member since 2003 • 971 Posts
With the global popularity of the Wiimote, everyone is trying to cash in on the next great gaming sensation. Funny thing is, the control has lasted 25+ years, and keeps getting better. They need to just keep making advances in their hardware to stay on top of the console game, and stop working on gimmicks to attract the elderly and teens.
xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
well i think natal haspotential we shall see
Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

Does anyone feel it will hurt peripheral based games like Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Band Hero, Tony Hawk Ride and others being you can probably simulate those instruments and devices "for free" with Natal?

It that really does happen, I could see people easily buying the disc version of those games, unless they'll only make the package bundle to avoid that all together. Then again they could add Natal exclusive features to these games which might considerably reduce costs if you did in fact only need to buy the disk (assuming you had Natal to begin with).

jpstill85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jpstill85
Member since 2006 • 440 Posts

I'm excited after learning that Johnny Lee is working on the Natal team. If you don't know who he is, then check out his work http://www.johnnylee.net/projects/ Funny how Microsoft nabbed the guy who spent so much time making awesome mods to the Wii-mote.

Ryan_as

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ryan_as

Does anyone feel it will hurt peripheral based games like Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Band Hero, Tony Hawk Ride and others being you can probably simulate those instruments and devices "for free" with Natal?

It that really does happen, I could see people easily buying the disc version of those games, unless they'll only make the package bundle to avoid that all together. Then again they could add Natal exclusive features to these games which might considerably reduce costs if you did in fact only need to buy the disk (assuming you had Natal to begin with).

Sophette
Agree'd, I wonder how they'll sort that out but I can see a viritual guitar etc and all you have to do is play 'air guitar', might be a bit hard but apparently Natal has the capabilities to understand human movement in something like 180 milliseconds so thats interesting.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

15% is to much. The 360 already has a hard time running most games at 30 FPS, and is ussually on full load. now they are adding another 15% of work? Natal reeks of suck.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

15% is to much. The 360 already has a hard time running most games at 30 FPS, and is ussually on full load. now they are adding another 15% of work? Natal reeks of suck.

painguy1

Everything you said there is 100% wrong

Ryan_as

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ryan_as

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

Jaysonguy

Agree.
RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RAGINGxPONY
Member since 2009 • 1452 Posts

painguy1

Can we please wait til it comes out before we jump to conclusions. kthx.

Toribor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Toribor
Member since 2005 • 3255 Posts

Sophette
I am sincerely doubting it. Air guitar? Air drums? It's not happening. It's all about the feel of the game, not the end result. (Notes being played) Flailing in the air isn't going to do the same thing. Natal is not meant to be a peripheral replacement, but an entirely different way of interacting.
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
I like the fact that it can control the menu etc. I use Media Center so I'm assuming you can use it to maneuver through that as well. The games are another story. I don't think using air invisible objects is gonna be fun or on the longevity side when it comes down to fun factor. It's a brilliant idea, but it comes down to execution. Can they execute and from the track record of Microsoft..I dunno! But I'm optimistic.
ForeverNHim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ForeverNHim
Member since 2003 • 971 Posts
I'm still only seeing this work with a very small number of games, mostly geared for people who love the Wii. Games that push the 360's sales (shooters, RPG and sports) will see no benefit from this tech.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
I'm still only seeing this work with a very small number of games, mostly geared for people who love the Wii. Games that push the 360's sales (shooters, RPG and sports) will see no benefit from this tech.ForeverNHim
But Natal and Wii-like party games for the 360 could push sales. As far as our more traditional games (shooters, RPG and sports), Natal can benefit them. As optional enhancements. Here's a relatively old article that talks about it. Post-E3 2009: The Benefits of Natal Five ways Natal can improve the games you're currently playing.
Toribor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toribor

One thing I am worried about though is the inevitable flood of really aweful gimmicky games. I like the Wii, I've had one since launch, but it has a LOT of really aweful games.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy

One thing I am worried about though is the inevitable flood of really aweful gimmicky games. I like the Wii, I've had one since launch, but it has a LOT of really aweful games.

Toribor

Do you live somewhere that you're forced to buy them?

The 360 has the strongest library of any console, extra games that you don't have to buy does what exactly?

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts

Toribor
I'm sure we'll see some of that. Look at that dodgeball game. Although I really want to try that. But remember, the 360 isn't completely centered around Natal, so we won't be losing our usual crop of games that don't need to completely utilize the new control scheme. We'll still have our CODs and Mass Effects.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

Jaysonguy

y is that? last time i checked FarCry 2 was running at 15fps without optomizations. CPU was under 80% idle, and 98% when being pushed, and GPU at 100% load because the Dunia engine had physics proccesses to intensive for the 360's GPU.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

dlindenb2000

They aren't going to make Natal BC with old games mate, so it doesn't matter how most games would run with it on. Natal games are going to be designed with the load of it in mind, and will be downgraded accordingly.

i agree, and thats where the issue comes in. They have to dumb down the games. I dont want that happening.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

y is that? last time i checked FarCry 2 was running at 15fps without optomizations. CPU was under 80% idle, and 98% when being pushed, and GPU at 100% load because the Dunia engine had physics proccesses to intensive for the 360's GPU. everything i siad is 100% true, except the "reeks of suck" part, thats my opinion.

Wrong

I have no idea where you came up with this but you're wrong

The idea that 30 fps is somehow hard for the 360 would make 60 impossible yet the 360 does 60 fps so right there I've shown you to be wrong

Toribor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Toribor

[QUOTE="Toribor"]

Jaysonguy

The 360 has the strongest library of any console, extra games that you don't have to buy does what exactly?

It's not just the crappy games, it's the awful controls they try to impliment into otherwise good games. Why would I waggle my arm to swing a sword in twilight princess when pressing a button is 100 times more responsive and just as easy. If Natal is done right it will ADD control to games not REPLACE perfectly fine existing controls.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

y is that? last time i checked FarCry 2 was running at 15fps without optomizations. CPU was under 80% idle, and 98% when being pushed, and GPU at 100% load because the Dunia engine had physics proccesses to intensive for the 360's GPU. everything i siad is 100% true, except the "reeks of suck" part, thats my opinion.

Wrong

I have no idea where you came up with this but you're wrong

The idea that 30 fps is somehow hard for the 360 would make 60 impossible yet the 360 does 60 fps so right there I've shown you to be wrong

the 360 has a GPU the equivalent of a Nvidia 7300. Pierre Rivest said it himself. Most 360 games run at 30 fps. Halo 3 doesn't even run in 720p it runs in 640p at 30fps. In order to get anything to run on consoles the engine has to be heavly optomized. At first getting the game to run on the 360 seemed like an impossobility, but after dumbing some things down they got it at 15fps then 30fps at a native resolution of 720p. here is the link if you dont believe me. http://www.vg247.com/2008/10/06/far-cry-2-720p-but-no-60-frames-a-second/

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

It really shows Microsoft has put a lot of work into Project Natal. I personally don't have the space in my room for anything really phsyical. I guess the living room will be where most people use it, like in the E3 video.

As for it being software enabled rather than hardware, it makes sense from a cost stance. You don't have to buy new hardware since it can be updated, and as many developers have stated, few if any games even take 100% of the system so far. Either way, I'll be one of the first to try the demos in stores like Best Buy when it comes out.

Sophette

But you do have to buy hardware for Natal, you have to buy the camera. Just like any other hardware, it could be updated by software. I really don't understand what you mean by "You don't have to buy new hardware since it can be updated" Hopefully Microsoft passes along the savings to consumers, if it costs more than $100, you know M$ is pocketing the savings.

Also the hardware has been dumbed down. The Zcam, which Natal is based off of, ran at 60hz, now it runs at 30hz. So basically to make it cheaper, they had to use more of the 360 power and make the hardware less acurate. So the price better be less than $100 for consumers because Zcam back in 2008 said they were going to charge $100.

StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

I'm not going to knock what Natal is in principle, because I'm sure it means something to someone, but I have zero interest in it.

Large_Soda

Pretty much my thoughts but I am doubtful as to how successful it will actually be.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

painguy1

source....oh wait? none?

Judging the Wii and how it appeals, a watered-down game is acceptable as long as it delivers. Wii has proven people aren't interested in just graphics, Xbox can obviously output better than that with a 15% resource cut.

I think the Natal will be versatile, possibly enabling controller and controller-free gaming with the motion-sensing.

Anyways, I'm not interested, I tried the Wii, doubt this will be my type of thing.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

[QUOTE="Sophette"]

LoserMike

But you do have to buy hardware for Natal, you have to buy the camera. Just like any other hardware, it could be updated by software. I really don't understand what you mean by "You don't have to buy new hardware since it can be updated" Hopefully Microsoft passes along the savings to consumers, if it costs more than $100, you know M$ is pocketing the savings.

Also the hardware has been dumbed down. The Zcam, which Natal is based off of, ran at 60hz, now it runs at 30hz. So basically to make it cheaper, they had to use more of the 360 power and make the hardware less acurate. So the price better be less than $100 for consumers because Zcam back in 2008 said they were going to charge $100.

uh, you wouldn't have to buy a $50-60 dollar controller (1-4) of them, and that would be on top of the regular controllers you have already bought.

4 wands, 4 Dualshocks

0 Natal, 4 360 controllers

yup.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts
[QUOTE="Sophette"]

natal will have its own processor. thats why its so big looking. also. they said natal can ajust to any play area. so no warries on space. unless you bed is hugging all the walls
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

HavocV3

source....oh wait? none?

Judging the Wii and how it appeals, a watered-down game is acceptable as long as it delivers. Wii has proven people aren't interested in just graphics, Xbox can obviously output better than that with a 15% resource cut.

I think the Natal will be versatile, possibly enabling controller and controller-free gaming with the motion-sensing.

Anyways, I'm not interested, I tried the Wii, doubt this will be my type of thing.

source.http://www.vg247.com/2008/10/06/far-cry-2-720p-but-no-60-frames-a-second/

The difference between the wii and natal is that the wiimotes dont take up 15% load on the CPU. The wiis graphical power is caused by its inferior hardware. I bought a 360 for the controller based gameplay, I bought a wii for its first party, and i built a PC for superior tech. I dont want my 360 to turn into a wii. I already have one and i dont need a second one. As for having sources well i dont need any nor do you. Take a look at the hardware, and look at the games, put togther all ur technical knowledge and it becomes obvious the 360 isnt string enough, but because most people cant think for themselves these days i put a link for you above. As i mentioned before the 360 cant even support Halo 3 on 720p. they had to dumb down the native resolution.

karma1680

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 karma1680
Member since 2008 • 351 Posts

I think most ppl are scared that Natal will be used much like the wii remote, but from the beginning MS has been stateing over and over again that its not a new controler its more of an additon to what is already good. I think the wii was a great idea when it first came out i was excited about it as my sec. system but was dissapointed to learn i had to use the (mostly off) controler for every game i wanted to play and that really threw me off. Im excited about Natal cause from what i've seen and read its more about what it can add. I mean lets look at it from another angle- If your a madden fan im not giving up my controller to play my season it would be stupid , But in cases like facial rec. i can finally put "me" in the game. In certain modes like superstar mode your already taken one postion on the field and its kinda an upclose view as you control the one player well in that case it would be so much fun to act out your throws along side voice rec. to do simple things like snap or try to make the def. jump sides. Playing a corner back and trying to pick the qb would be great. For a shooter i would much rather have my controller but wouldn't the additon of pre-battle hand signals add to the game as well as even behind cover gernade throws with your hands. Much like ign's idea of racing games i really cant see a pretend steering wheel but i can see a slight move of my head while im driving allowing me to see whats beside me or behide me via mirrors. Voice and facial rec. would make great additons to rpg's weather for in game reaction to your facial reactions of a cut scene or even a quick vocal command to equip a spell or sword could def. help out cluncky inventory. But in the end its all about perception and mine is the potential is there and im very excited to see where they go with it and will they make good use of it or will they fail as i feel the wii has in that aspect.

oclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 oclane
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts

i suppose it would be difficult to make fully interactive games for the natal i would guess that most of the shooter games would be on rails or force you to move the character by running if thats possible but that would be fun.

does any one know the pricing for the Natal yet?

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

[QUOTE="Toribor"]

Jaysonguy

I think you're missing the point.

Because there's only so many developers out in the world. If good developers are being 'forced' or even 'encouraged' to develop games for use with Natal, there's the reasonable chance we'll see many dev studios taking time to make these 'Natal' games(which could very well be gimmicky) instead of making other quality games.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 seankane

source.http://www.vg247.com/2008/10/06/far-cry-2-720p-but-no-60-frames-a-second/

The difference between the wii and natal is that the wiimotes dont take up 15% load on the CPU. The wiis graphical power is caused by its inferior hardware. I bought a 360 for the controller based gameplay, I bought a wii for its first party, and i built a PC for superior tech. I dont want my 360 to turn into a wii. I already have one and i dont need a second one. As for having sources well i dont need any nor do you. Take a look at the hardware, and look at the games, put togther all ur technical knowledge and it becomes obvious the 360 isnt string enough, but because most people cant think for themselves these days i put a link for you above. As i mentioned before the 360 cant even support Halo 3 on 720p. they had to dumb down the native resolution.

painguy1

You really have no clue what you're talking about. Seems you have some elementary knowledge of framerates and screen resolutions, but dont understand how they are used and what the consequences are of using them. You also seem to be ignoring that a major part of the screen resolution and framerate of a game is dependent on the game engine, and not just the system processing it.

Go do some more research and come back in a few months when you know what you're talking about, ok?

dirktu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#36 dirktu
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

seankane

You really have no clue what you're talking about. Seems you have some elementary knowledge of framerates and screen resolutions, but dont understand how they are used and what the consequences are of using them. You also seem to be ignoring that a major part of the screen resolution and framerate of a game is dependent on the game engine, and not just the system processing it.

Go do some more research and come back in a few months when you know what you're talking about, ok?

I'm amazed how popular it seems to be to bash someone. You can disagree with the guy or counter his 'facts' with ARGUMENTS, but just bashing backed by saying "You also seem to be ignoring that a major part of the screen resolution and framerate of a game is dependent on the game engine, and not just the system processing it" is just nonsense. He didn't even touch that subject, let alone deny/confirm it. I assume he would be smart enough to understand that particular quote himself.

I agree with him on 15% being a larger load on the system than -I- expected.

karma1680

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 karma1680

Well the one thing that no one is really saying , and it's also the thing i like the most about Natal is that its a choice! Unlike the wii you don't have to buy this item and if you have it you don't have to use it in order to play your games or enjoy your system. Thats the key when its all said and done when Natal finally drops you have a choice, you wont miss out on the next big blockbuster game cause you didn't invest in it. And from the interviews and articles MS is fully aware of the fact a lot of us don't like the crap games for the wii that are gimmicky. Maybe im wrong but it seems they want to make this somthing thats just another weapon in the 360 arsenal , not make it the whole platoon!

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 painguy1

[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

dirktu

I'm amazed how popular it seems to be to bash someone. You can disagree with the guy or counter his 'facts' with ARGUMENTS, but just bashing backed by saying "You also seem to be ignoring that a major part of the screen resolution and framerate of a game is dependent on the game engine, and not just the system processing it" is just nonsense. He didn't even touch that subject, let alone deny/confirm it. I assume he would be smart enough to understand that particular quote himself.

I agree with him on 15% being a larger load on the system than -I- expected.

thank you :D

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 seankane

dirktu

No, he didn't touch that subject, which is why I'm calling him out on it. Its like talking about how fast your computer runs without talking about RAM. Its an integral part of the equation that you cant just ignore.

In his case, he's trying to prove that the 360 'can barely handle 30fps' by saying that Far Cry 2 isn't 60fps. Its an absurd way to argue about it, not to mention that its largely down to Ubisoft Montreal to 'lock' the framerate at what they feel is best to also combine with the other aspects of the game engine. I'm sure they could've gotten it to run at 60fps on the 360 if they had compromised on such visual aspects like anti-aliasing and shadows and whatnot.

The simple fact is that the 360 *does not* struggle to display 30fps, as evidenced by such games as Modern Warfare 2 and Forza 3 and many others, that not only look great, but also run at a smooth 60 fps. The guy is plain wrong and needs to be called out on it. I'm not bashing him, I'm simply showing him that he's WRONG and arguing from a perspective for which he is clearly lacking knowledge.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
[QUOTE="Sophette"]

No, people buy those games because they like playing with the plastic instruments. If people just wanted to air guitar to popular songs they wouldn't even need the game.
With the global popularity of the Wiimote, everyone is trying to cash in on the next great gaming sensation. Funny thing is, the control has lasted 25+ years, and keeps getting better. They need to just keep making advances in their hardware to stay on top of the console game, and stop working on gimmicks to attract the elderly and teens.ForeverNHim
Thats what Natal is because thats what MS think motion controls are all about. Motion controls are just a means of interaction, its the software that brings in more consumers. Someones grandmother may play Wii Sports even if it used standard controls but they wouldn't play Gears of War even if it had motion controls. Motion controls were suppose to be just another small step in advancment of gaming like the addition of the save feature, the move to 3D, the move to disc based formats. People and MS seem to think that it was simply the motion controls that are inviting to people "oh get people up and jumping around like maniacs, that'll win them over" thats not why people are interested in the Wii and thats why I have little faith in what MS will do with Natal because they are barking up the wrong tree. Instead of trying to take that idea of bringing the gaming world out to player and advance that, they simply trying to just take the base execution and make money off of it. Thats not going to end well for them,
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
So much of the performance comes down to memory, and having a controller use up to 15% of system resources is going to put a big strain on games, and is therefore less-likely to be taken up by AAA graphics intensive games - they need the resources to make their game work to the best of its ability. I know in The Orange Box that for the console versions the most work went into optimisation - reducing the memory usage to make it work well on consoles. Designed for PCs it didn't need to lock itself into a set spec of hardware, so textures were made on a much higher resolution - looks fantastic on a high end pc, but fails to load on consoles because it runs out of memory. These had to be reduced in size and quality so that they used less memory, and could therefore run stably on consoles. A lot of people on forums love to talk about 720p and 30fps or 60fps, without appreciating that neither of those takes into account the texture quality of what you are looking at, and where texture quality can have a massive impact on the framerate and stability. Halve the texture quality and you can greatly increase the framerate - but the game looks worse, despite people looking at the numbers and seeing 720p and a higher framerate count. Dev kit machines used by programmers in the development of software for consoles have more memory than the retail versions for exactly this reason. First you get your code to run within memory on a dev kit, then you spend a lot of time optimising it, making small memory savings in lots of different areas until it just fits within memory and runs consistently without hanging. In short, games are designed so that they run well and stably, but only just within the full resources allowed to them. If Natal is going to reserve/take 15% of system resources (on top of the resources already reserved for things like the Xbox Guide button, Party chat, messaging and invites) that is going to cause big problems for developers trying to get their games to run with it. The decision to support Natal in a game is something that will have to be decided upon early in the production cycle, or there will simply not be the memory available to let it run
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Sophette

No - Natal is not precise enough to detect individual finger movements.

From the article you linked to in your original post:

"The system locates body parts to within a 4-centimetre cube, says Kipman."

While you might be able to play something like a drum kit with exaggerated movements, small finger movements like fretwork on a guitar, it isn't going to be able to pickup in any detail and/or the recognition would be frustrating and keep making mistakes. While Natal is a great improvement over the Live Vision camera in terms of resolution and being able to pick out the person from the background, it is still not film standard motion capture.

Similarly for games involving weapons - pulling the trigger on a gun is a very small movement, and hard to pick up on motion capture, as opposed to throwing a spear, or using a bow and arrow, where the physical movements are much greater and easier to capture

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts

Well the one thing that no one is really saying , and it's also the thing i like the most about Natal is that its a choice! Unlike the wii you don't have to buy this item and if you have it you don't have to use it in order to play your games or enjoy your system. Thats the key when its all said and done when Natal finally drops you have a choice, you wont miss out on the next big blockbuster game cause you didn't invest in it. And from the interviews and articles MS is fully aware of the fact a lot of us don't like the crap games for the wii that are gimmicky. Maybe im wrong but it seems they want to make this somthing thats just another weapon in the 360 arsenal , not make it the whole platoon!

karma1680
Thats the exact reason its going to fail. Microsoft will not want to upset the oh so precious "hardcore" gamers ao thier going to half ass it. Now I'm not saying that they should say oh the only way to play Halo Reach is with Natal, no because it will be an expensive peripheral and that would not be cool at all. However they sale it like the next wave in gaming yet they wont support, yeah they will have some "Natal Ready" games and they will probably have Rare slap together something exclusive to Natal. But unlike Nintendo who went to bat with motion controls, who supported it 100% by making the Wiimote the standard, MS will not do anything of kind. Nintendo could have come out with a regular controller and said oh but we also have this thing, no they came completely with the Wiimote. Yeah they have the classic controller and GC controller support but thats just part of that choice thing your talking about. Not every game is motion control friendly, A good 360 equivallent would be, try playing Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden with motion controls. Nintendo came with the wiimote as an advancement in gaming(small one albeit, but an advancement all the same), some have used it well, others have not. The same will happen with Natal. But MS is coming with Natal as a simple gimmick, "oh you can turn your head in a racing game" I'm bursting with excitement at that possibilty. Your absolutely right when you say all MS wants to do is say "we have motion controls too" and go back to business as usual. I would like to be wrong, but I doubt I am.
karma1680

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 karma1680

I think the wii is great for what it is and everyone has there fav. i would never dis anyone who really loves it i have one. I love it for my kids and family night but other then that its not up my ally that i can pic it up everyday and play as i do my 360 but thats another convo. No MS will not make Natal a main stead of the 360 that is what would make it fail by no means is this the wii its like a new controler is how you have to look at it and think to many ppl get stuck on it being like the wii. And i will have to dissagree with you (respectivley) on that note hardcore gamers are what make this industry run. The wii did a great job of bringing in the casual gamers and with its success every gaming company will try and capitalize on that. But with Natal MS knows that if they follow completely in Nintindo's footsteps they will be doomed. The wii facts are facts no matter what our opinion may be and the fact is the wii sells more then both MS and Sony combined at times thats a fact with the family outlook and low price its great in these days and times. But the other fact is when it comes to softwear as a hole the wii is a utter failer compared to there competitors. Casual gamers will move units but because of the nature of a casual gamer they will not support it very well. The def. of a causel gamer in it self means they don't play games that often nor are they the first in line every month to pic up the new games thats where the hardcore gamers come in there the ones who spends the 500 dollars on launch to get all the new stuff the extra stuff the upcoming games. Now with all of that said Natal is not like the wii in the since that it will take over as the new norm for the system games wont be completely redone just to accomidate it. What it will do is be a supporter much like a wirless ear piece or a skateboard for tony hawk. But with the other features it contains it will also play as the upgrade that will allow the 360 to stay fresh and not need a successor. Now this is all speculation i want to make that clear its just my opinion that MS will accomplish this but what is fact is that if Natal does well if it fails it will not make nor break the 360 because unlike the wii it is a opiton they can very well pull it off the shelfs like the HD set and the 360 will move on and still sell games as well as it always have.

karma1680

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 karma1680

[QUOTE="karma1680"]

Sepewrath

Thats the exact reason its going to fail. Microsoft will not want to upset the oh so precious "hardcore" gamers ao thier going to half ass it. Now I'm not saying that they should say oh the only way to play Halo Reach is with Natal, no because it will be an expensive peripheral and that would not be cool at all. However they sale it like the next wave in gaming yet they wont support, yeah they will have some "Natal Ready" games and they will probably have Rare slap together something exclusive to Natal. But unlike Nintendo who went to bat with motion controls, who supported it 100% by making the Wiimote the standard, MS will not do anything of kind. Nintendo could have come out with a regular controller and said oh but we also have this thing, no they came completely with the Wiimote. Yeah they have the classic controller and GC controller support but thats just part of that choice thing your talking about. Not every game is motion control friendly, A good 360 equivallent would be, try playing Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden with motion controls. Nintendo came with the wiimote as an advancement in gaming(small one albeit, but an advancement all the same), some have used it well, others have not. The same will happen with Natal. But MS is coming with Natal as a simple gimmick, "oh you can turn your head in a racing game" I'm bursting with excitement at that possibilty. Your absolutely right when you say all MS wants to do is say "we have motion controls too" and go back to business as usual. I would like to be wrong, but I doubt I am.

Every system has what makes it appealing. Your right that MS wants to get in on the money thats the nature of buisness. Sony is doing the same thing and so on and so forth. The idea is to either slap somthing together and get a quick buck wial the fad is big or change the game. It's to hard to say which this will do but with the other features outside of just games i feel as though it will be a great additon to the system. Theres a lot of things you can say are a gimmick, but the thing is will it work. When the 360 added netflicks there were so many ppl saying oh this is another gimmick but sure enough its a success so much that netflicks is looking to do this type of thing will more then just games systems. Its up to ppl wheather it works so we will see cause look at the wii for a moment. From a formula the wii should have been down and out by now. The games selection is generic at best the remote is fun but def. old and not supported well outside of first party. But yet and still it keeps selling and im very happy about it i love seeing this type of compation because each company then puts there best foot forward to outdo the other and we the comsumer becomes the real winner. Like is said for what it is i like the wii. I love tech that allows you to do mult. things. My 360 replaced my dvd play the cd player my trips to blockbutster, i can check my facebook so on and so farth. My wife is so ready for Natal she loves the demo of the family watching movies and controling with having to use the remote or controler and we both understand those are things that bring about so many possiblitys outside of just gaming that in my mind done right will be worth it without the game implications. I Hope it does well but we will have to see a year after it comes out . I own a Iphone and its great but as we speak there are companys who have the same tech now and are trying to make bigger and better things in order to compete. some are cheap copies and some have a chance to dethrown it so again lets wait and see how things will go with it.

Toribor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Toribor
My wife is so ready for Natal she loves the demo of the family watching movies and controling with having to use the remote or controler and we both understand those are things that bring about so many possiblitys outside of just gaming that in my mind done right will be worth it without the game implications. karma1680
I am pretty excited to see how well the technology works. Will televisions have it built in some day? Who needs remote controls when you can just command your TV like a wizard! It would be great, no more fumbling for buttons, no more getting used to 20 different remote controls.
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts
[QUOTE="Toribor"]

DJ_Magneto
I'm sure we'll see some of that. Look at that dodgeball game. Although I really want to try that. But remember, the 360 isn't completely centered around Natal, so we won't be losing our usual crop of games that don't need to completely utilize the new control scheme. We'll still have our CODs and Mass Effects.

Yeah the last thing I wanna do is to have to reach into my pocket, pretend to pull the thing off from the grenade,, hold it for a bit to cook it, then throw it...
nadohawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nadohawk
Member since 2005 • 135 Posts

Considering the amount of proccessing power in the system and the fact that Natal games won't be too demanding, I doubt this will have any negative impact on the operation of the console.

I really want Natal as a remote control. That would be pretty cool to be honest.