my xbox is running slow

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gamefreak444 (159 posts) -

my xbox has been running slow lately. It takes about 2 mins for the system to boot up and when i press the guide button, it takes so long for it to up (atleast a minute) and it takes forever to check my friends, achievements, etc. help anyone please that would be appreciated.

#2 Posted by DeadApeBladder (692 posts) -

Try cleaning your cache. When my xbox is sluggish I clean my cache but even when it is sluggish it doesn't take 2 minutes to boot up.

#3 Posted by LiftedHeadshot (2460 posts) -

Try cleaning your cache. When my xbox is sluggish I clean my cache but even when it is sluggish it doesn't take 2 minutes to boot up.

DeadApeBladder
How do you clean the cache?
#4 Posted by gamefreak444 (159 posts) -

thanks alot D

thanks a lot DeadApeBladder btw, how u do u that does it erase ur memory or something cuz i dont think i have a memory problem with 360 i have an elite and it still has about 86gigs left

#5 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23855 posts) -
I didn't know consoles turn into Windows :P
#7 Posted by DeadApeBladder (692 posts) -

Go to system-->Memory and on the memory device push Y.

#8 Posted by DecadesOfGaming (3100 posts) -

it's perfectly natural.. we all slow down with age.. just be patient

#9 Posted by jonzilla_basic (2327 posts) -
It won't hurt your saved files
#10 Posted by NevecLP (859 posts) -

I didn't know consoles turn into Windows :PJigglyWiggly_

But it is Microsoft:P

#11 Posted by gamefreak444 (159 posts) -

i did it but my xbox is still running slow :SSSSS

#12 Posted by DJ_Magneto (4675 posts) -
It is possible that your internet connection speed is slow. I've noticed if my connection is down it takes a while to boot up my console because it is trying to establish a connection to Live. A slow connection speed could have the same effect. Sometimes I'm downloading something on my PC and using a lot of bandwidth and things in the Xbox Live Marketplace take a long time to load or my connection to Netflix through my console is poor because of the bandwidth being syphoned to the other machine. Do a speed test on your connection. Or try setting your profile to not automatically sign into Live to at least shorten your bootup time.
#13 Posted by XxFireHawkXx (512 posts) -

Disconnect from Xbox Live and play on it for a bit and see if it is faster. Could just be your connection.

#14 Posted by gamefreak444 (159 posts) -

thanks guys, excellent suggestions i'll post later if it works or not

#15 Posted by gamefreak444 (159 posts) -

thanks guys, excellent suggestions i'll post later if it works or not

#16 Posted by gamefreak444 (159 posts) -

well i did a test on my 360 for my live connection and it turns out that i can connect to live but my NAT is not the right type (my NAT is MODERATE) anyone know to change it to OPEN? please this my 360 is pissing me off, everytime i start up MW2 i have to this update but it takes so long and it says "i cant download this update" or some **** :S

#17 Posted by DJ_Magneto (4675 posts) -
Well, since you cleared your cache, you need to re-download all of your game updates. I found someone who posted how to change your NAT settings. This is not configured on your console. It's configured through the Admin panel for your router.
So, you first have to find your Admin Panel for your router/gateway (usually accessed by typing the IP address in the addressbar of your internet browser). Then you have to get into the advanced settings and configure something called the UPnP (Universal Plug'n'Play). This normally is set to be DISABLED, but that's not what you want. Go in andENABLE it, but don'tscrew around with anything else, and it might screw up your wireless internet. Then you should save the settings to the router/gateway, and restart both your router/gateway, and your XBOX360. When you run the test again, it should read as OPEN, and you should have no more problems with XBOX Live.GTFan712
#18 Posted by DJ_Magneto (4675 posts) -
If anything, do a Google search on "Change NAT settings" and most will be Xbox 360 related. This is a common problem people have.
#19 Posted by gamefreak444 (159 posts) -

ah **** this is a problem because someone else set up my xbox for me and i dont know the username or password for the ip of my router (linksys WRT54GS) . i think he changed it .

#20 Posted by DJ_Magneto (4675 posts) -
There's always a default username and password. Usually if you aren't in a public place, you would just leave it as the default. If whoever set up your router knew what they were doing, they should have been smart and considerate enough to either give you the user name and password or just leave it defaulted. Usually the default is simply "Admin" User: Admin Password: Admin Or maybe User: Admin and no password. You could lookup the model of your router and find the manual to see if it tells you what the default is. OR, you could just reset your router altogether to reset everything back to the factory settings including the password. There should be a small reset button on the back maybe. You'll probably need to use a pin. However, you may have to set it all up again if you do that and I don't know what experience you have with that.
#21 Posted by pete_merlin (6099 posts) -

try using your xbox without signing into live at all