my 360 doesn't recognize my game discs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

peevka2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 peevka2000
Member since 2006 • 765 Posts

It will play movies and old scratched music cds but all my game discs wont work. HELP!!!

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
sounds like its modded if it doesn't play 360 games. call up microsoft to fix the drive...
Gsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Gsig
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts
Is there any error message that comes up or do they just refuse to boot up?
peevka2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 peevka2000

It's not moded. A white screen comes up saying "please insert xbox 360 disc" or something like that. Plus its out of warranty. I'm seriously considering a ps3 if I cant fix it myself.

peevka2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 peevka2000
Don't all answer at once.
rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts
sounds like the lense is either dying or needs to be calibrated, since it will play everything except Dual Layer Disc (360 games). You can go in search on the interwebs to see if this is true and see what you can do or you can just buy a new drive on ebay or several other sites for about 40usd and replace it yourself. Might as well mod it while your at it, and since it is out of warrenty.
olpfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 olpfan
Member since 2004 • 836 Posts
the drive is messed up. it needs to be replaced.
Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Leo-Magic
Member since 2005 • 3025 Posts
oh man....
Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Leo-Magic
can i ask you when did you buy ut?
Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
can i ask you when did you buy ut?Leo-Magic
the replacement drives cost money so its not worth it when you can just call microsoft and tell them whats wrong with it. They will fix it for free. It should be a no brainer unless you have it modded
Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Leo-Magic
[QUOTE="Leo-Magic"]can i ask you when did you buy ut?Crystal-Rush
the replacement drives cost money so its not worth it when you can just call microsoft and tell them whats wrong with it. They will fix it for free. It should be a no brainer unless you have it modded

Seriously, is there a lot of people having the same problem???? I thought it was just me. BTW,my x360 60gb manufacturing date is Aug 2008. anybody who suffers the same problem, please say it. Lets try to help the new buyer to avoid this problem.
gladi8or19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 gladi8or19
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

ive had the same problem before that eventually just went away...

but now my xbox doesent read discs at all, ive fixed many problems but its time to get a new xbox and a new drive as a second 360

your xbox isnt shaking when it attepts to read the disc is it?

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
[QUOTE="Crystal-Rush"][QUOTE="Leo-Magic"]can i ask you when did you buy ut?Leo-Magic

Seriously, is there a lot of people having the same problem???? I thought it was just me. BTW,my x360 60gb manufacturing date is Aug 2008. anybody who suffers the same problem, please say it. Lets try to help the new buyer to avoid this problem.

the drive from my old machine that i got at launch died. First the teeth wore out so the tray wouldn't open, then after a while it just stopped working. Also the fans stopped working and that made it overheat within minutes. i have heard people with similar problems but it cant be that serious. When i sent it to Microsoft a few months back there were so many problems that they ended up giving me a brand new elite
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

I'm seriously considering a ps3 if I cant fix it myself.

peevka2000
is that suppose to be a threat or sumthing? why are you bringing that up? nooooo! dont by a ps3 :roll: it has nothing to do with your problem , and that information doesnt help us help you either anyway, ur prolly get rrod later cause i kinda had the same problem be4 and thats what happened to me
peevka2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 peevka2000
[QUOTE="peevka2000"]

I'm seriously considering a ps3 if I cant fix it myself.

i-rock-socks

is that suppose to be a threat or sumthing? why are you bringing that up? nooooo! dont by a ps3 :roll: it has nothing to do with your problem , and that information doesnt help us help you either anyway, ur prolly get rrod later cause i kinda had the same problem be4 and thats what happened to me

I called M$ and they want to charge me $99 to fix it plus I'll have to wait about 3 weeks. I'm a junkie so I'd rather buy a new one @ $199. But I cant help feeling like I'm getting screwed on the deal. Then again I maight have to send the new one in again after a few months. I saw this deal for a new 60 or 80gig (not sure which) ps3 for $250 that's looking really tempting

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=150newps3

I have been on xbox since the launch of the first gen xbox. I remember then when ps2 was king and everyone told be to get a ps2 because it had more games etc. I went with the superior hardware which was the original xbox. I'm thinking now again I need to go with the better hardware which is clearly the ps3. Change has come. Yes I might!

peevka2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 peevka2000
UPDATE: So apparently there's some "credit crisis" going on. They would'nt approve me for the card :( My credit's not that bad!!!! I'm a 360 fanboy and really would have bought a 80 gig ps3 if I could have gotten it for the $250 (see link above). But thanks to Dubyah (who sucks rectum) I don't qualify for this deal.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
[QUOTE="peevka2000"]UPDATE: So apparently there's some "credit crisis" going on. They would'nt approve me for the card :( My credit's not that bad!!!! I'm a 360 fanboy and really would have bought a 80 gig ps3 if I could have gotten it for the $250 (see link above). But thanks to Dubyah (who sucks rectum) I don't qualify for this deal.

i say look on ebay for a 360 (rrod) open that up and take the drive out since u said it is out of warranty. microsoft would chargeu about 150 for repair something like that.
Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
have you tried clearing your x360s cache?
Kaos39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Kaos39
Member since 2007 • 695 Posts
I'm having the same problem bro, and I'm not sure what to do. Somedays it happens all the time but others days it works fine, but if I get the message and restart the xbox a couple times it usually works. I don't know if its damaging my discs or not though, cause a few have some strange darker circles on the bottom of them. I'm just using it for now, because I don't feel like paying 100 bucks to get it fixed.
Motza22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Motza22
Member since 2008 • 670 Posts

UPDATE: So apparently there's some "credit crisis" going on. They would'nt approve me for the card :( My credit's not that bad!!!! I'm a 360 fanboy and really would have bought a 80 gig ps3 if I could have gotten it for the $250 (see link above). But thanks to Dubyah (who sucks rectum) I don't qualify for this deal.peevka2000

Why do you keep saying you're going to play PS3? Nobody reeally cares, just go buy one and quit talking about it. Obviously MS is going to charge you for a repair, since you already said that it's out of warranty, and of course it's not going to happen instantly. Also, I don't think you can blame George W Bush or the economy for your own problems; since my credit card still works perfectly fine.

Seriously, stop ranting about random crap... It isn't going to make a difference; MS (and probably sony for that matter) couldn't care less how annoyed you are, they have a billion people lined up after you.

Wezker619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wezker619
Member since 2006 • 1427 Posts
The laser is probably destroyed or something is wrong with the drive. Just call microsoft or just return it.
Avatar image for o0-dj_dickie-0o
o0-dj_dickie-0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 o0-dj_dickie-0o
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i have an xbox 360 and it wont play games. it says open tray then i put the game in when i close the tray it says reading then goes back to saying open tray and wont load the game can anyone help me pleeeease
sherrycupcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sherrycupcake
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I know this is an old post and the problem has already been resolved for the poster most likely but I am having the same problem and my xbox is two days old.

My old xbox gave me an E 74 message and it is not under warranty so I just went and bought an xbox arcade and am using my old HDD. I bought the newest system 2 days ago(it played ffxi for 2 days) then it gave me an unreadable disc error so since my FFXI disc had some scratches (old xbox had issues) I went and bought a new copy and I still get the same error. I have already deleted the game and reinstalled it once since it was giving me an error bofore. Anyway, I have checked and no games will work but movies start right up. I called xbox and they say to return it but I am worndering now if it is a hard drive. Plus, I have unplugged and restarted/deleted old content already.

Any suggestions?

Buzzob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Buzzob
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
my xbox recognises almost all games but not mass effect this is really weird I could play the normal edition but the platinum hits one doesnt work and it jams up unless i turn it off and on any help or is this uniqe???