Mirrors Edge- Epic fail or epic win??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
Will they be able to pull off the Parkour based action game "Mirrors Edge?" Or will they mess up and not be able to pull it off? What are your thoughts? As a tracuer (practitioner of Parkour) I'd much rather go out and do it, but the game looks cool. What do you think?
Maraos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Maraos
Member since 2007 • 142 Posts

Game looks awesome, it really depends on a couple of factors:

A. Length/Replayability

B. a Nice control scheme

C. A not stupid story.

It has the formula for a new and innovative look at the platforming genre, lets hope it performs.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#3 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts

A. Length/Replayability

B. a Nice control scheme

C. A not stupid story.

It has the formula for a new and innovative look at the platforming genre, lets hope it performs.

Maraos

my thoughts exactly. I hope it's as good as it looks :D

mikeo1229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mikeo1229
Member since 2005 • 522 Posts

with this game and with LOTR Conquest i have one opinion

It will be completely awesome if done right

or

it will be one of the worst games in recent history if f*cked up

so really it is to one extreme or the other

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts

A. Length/Replayability

B. a Nice control scheme

C. A not stupid story.

Maraos

A. The story mode, challenge modes and time trials with rumored online.
B. Very simple controls that feel natural and intuitive.
C. Set in a distopian world where information is vital to rescuing a corrupt world.

All that sounds good to me, this game is going to deliver on everything promised.
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

A. Length/Replayability

B. a Nice control scheme

C. A not stupid story.

Maraos

:lol: those are the basics for any game :P. ME (no wiat thats mass effect :o dont care.) looks insanely fun from what im seeing from the videos of gameplay. it looks like it could almost end up in the same boat as AC did/does (with people saying its repetitive) but so far ME looks like it will a sweet game with sweet action if it doesent completely tank.

silencers3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silencers3
Member since 2004 • 755 Posts

This is the most dumb created thread ever!!!!!!

Come on its bad enough that you're using "EPIC FAIL" Seriously McFly HELLO McFly!! Think McFly Think!! You slacker!

The game has not even came out yet and you are already jumping the gun to consider it an "EPIC FAIL" or "EPIC" win

Who the hell knows if its going to flop or be a hit..

WHEN YOU SAY FAIL..................YOU!!! FAIL!!!!!

Sgt_Politeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sgt_Politeness
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts

Gameplay-wise, I see this game being vaguely similar to Portal, Prince of Persia, and other 3-D platformers, in that the basic game mechanic is all about getting from point A to point B without dying, with little focus on combat and more on evasion and finding the path to the end.

So what made Portal a great game? You could say the story, but if you break that down and be more specific, it was mostly the tone and the atmosphere and one great character. What made Prince of Persia a great game? Because it was fun to find out how to get to the next room. I feel that if Mirror's Edge can achieve (and maintain) a consistent and interesting atmosphere, and the act of running around down a basically linear line is indeed fun, it ought to be a success. The only parts of the game that look a little rough are the combat sections, which the game makers don't appear to want to focus on anyway, so hopefully they either keep those sections brief or tighten it up a bit.

An engaging story will go a long way to make this game worth playing. Engaging doesn't necessarily mean complex, or long. Portals plot is neither complex, or long. COD4's plot really isn't complex, but it's fleshed out and its recurring characters have just enough personality that you care to see how it ends.

I don't mind "short" games. Portal is one example, COD4 another. Even though the campaigns are short, I've replayed them numerous times because the gameplay is solid.

nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nicknees93
[QUOTE="Maraos"]

A. Length/Replayability

B. a Nice control scheme

C. A not stupid story.

orb_03_2006

my thoughts exactly. I hope it's as good as it looks :D

same here.
nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nicknees93

This is the most dumb created thread ever!!!!!!

Come on its bad enough that you're using "EPIC FAIL" Seriously McFly HELLO McFly!! Think McFly Think!! You slacker!

The game has not even came out yet and you are already jumping the gun to consider it an "EPIC FAIL" or "EPIC" win

Who the hell knows if its going to flop or be a hit..

WHEN YOU SAY FAIL..................YOU!!! FAIL!!!!!

silencers3
uh... hence the word "think" that would be the operative word here. so, its not a dumb thread at all and epic fail is pretty standard buddy.
Hott-FuzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hott-FuzZ
Member since 2007 • 732 Posts
Knowing EA it will probably be really short. Looks awsome though, but its being released at a very bad time. Dont know why they wouldnt just release it next year, nobody is going to buy it. Does it have multiplayer btw?
silencers3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silencers3
Member since 2004 • 755 Posts
Will they be able to pull off the Parkour based action game "Mirrors Edge?" Or will they mess up and not be able to pull it off? What are your thoughts? As a tracuer (practitioner of Parkour) I'd much rather go out and do it, but the game looks cool. What do you think?nicknees93
oh Epic Fail is pretty standard huh.. Do you realize how dumb that sounds look no offense to you because i hate when people go in to forums and run their mouth off but in my opinion i hate anything that has to do with "Fail" epic is ok but "Fail" i really cannot stand it! so sorry if offended lol
EvilAshTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EvilAshTwin
Member since 2008 • 690 Posts

I think it could go either way. I mean it looks like a good idea, but to me I cant help but remember the game Breakdown and that was just a huge Letdown.

The make or break for this game is going to be the control scheme. Theres plenty of great games that have 0 replayability and/or terrible stories. Games with bad controls are doomed to fail even if they have decent things going for it.

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
There was a video on the Marketplace of Mirror's Edge today. First, I was so psyched when I saw the title there, I though they uploaded the demo. :(
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts

Epic win.

1. The game is doing something very different for an first person game, which will make it stand out given how many generic fps games we're hit with these days (Turok, i'm looking at you.)

2. The game is made by a solid, proven, and reliable dev in DICE.

3. The game looks fantastic, and like the gameplay, looks very very different from any other first person game we've seen, eschewing the dark gritty feel entirely.

4. The story will be excellent. It's written by the same writer who wrote Heavenly Sword, a game where the story and the characters in particular were some of the best things going for it. Let's not forget that she also wrote Overlord, which was, imo, perhaps the funniest game of 2007 with an ingenius script (again, probably one of the best things about that game)

So yeah, this game is made out of win and as it stands, if it's not my most looked-forward to release of 2008, it's up there.

lucas81093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 lucas81093
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I Really Want To Call This A Epic Win.

But I Highly Doubt It.
1st Person Free-Running Game With Guns
Im Not Feeling It Im Gona Buy It Still Tho :P

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I think it will be one of the best games released this year. I'm really looking forward to it.
sanpreet8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sanpreet8
Member since 2008 • 2111 Posts
Epic Fail
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
It's probaly going to get between 7-8 out of 10 i think it looks fun but it's not a buy and my friend thinks it is going to be GOTY lol
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#20 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts
being a huge DICE fan, i was originally stoked for this title...but after more gameplay and a clearer understanding that the game was a streamlined linear platformer...i was turned off. I didn't expect guns and crazy action...but it's basically a time trial game...thats what i see anyhow.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I can't declare a side yet for this game. I hope it is an epic win though. Personally I think the story will be lacking and the art style of Faith (main character) just sucks. Thank goodness it is in FP or I wouldn't even bother playing it. To me though it looks like a First Person Sneaker (that is to say, avoid rather than fight) without the slow sneaky parts. To me that sounds like a lot of fun.
Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts
I'm not interested in this game, might give it a rent if it gets good reviews
andyrae11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 andyrae11
Member since 2005 • 694 Posts

A. Length/Replayability

B. a Nice control scheme

C. A not stupid story.

Maraos

Indeed. Though I think option A is most important.

C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts

It looks like a lot of fun.

Sadly, i see this getting an 7.5 or an 8

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 x-2tha-z

C-Lee
Sadly? Why is that sad? 7.5 or 8 isn't a bad score. Anyway, that score is just the opinion of one person. You could play it and think it should've scored much higher. Ninja Gaiden 2 got 7.5 or something. To me Ninja Gaiden 2 is easily a 9 or 9.5. The reviewers opinion is just different to mine. His word isn't law. Giving it a 7.5 doesn't instantly make it a bad game. Some of you put too much importance on review scores.
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
[QUOTE="C-Lee"]

x-2tha-z

Sadly? Why is that sad? 7.5 or 8 isn't a bad score. Anyway, that score is just the opinion of one person. You could play it and think it should've scored much higher. Ninja Gaiden 2 got 7.5 or something. To me Ninja Gaiden 2 is easily a 9 or 9.5. The reviewers opinion is just different to mine. His word isn't law. Giving it a 7.5 doesn't instantly make it a bad game. Some of you put too much importance on review scores.

i said sadly because people some people are hyping this 8.5 to 9.

I never said 7 was bad, i just hate to see games flop to be honest.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 x-2tha-z
[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"][QUOTE="C-Lee"]

C-Lee

If it gets 7.5 it doesn't mean it'll flop. Force Unleashed got 7.5 and that sold very well. I think you overestimate the importance of gamespots review scores.
Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts
I don't know. It could be another Assassins Creed or it could be an epic game. It's hard to say right now. Especially with the game not being out.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
[QUOTE="C-Lee"][QUOTE="x-2tha-z"][QUOTE="C-Lee"]

x-2tha-z

If it gets 7.5 it doesn't mean it'll flop. Force Unleashed got 7.5 and that sold very well. I think you overestimate the importance of gamespots review scores.

SW was a completely different beast. A lot of people joined in for the simple fact it was SW and used 4 big name engines and such simultanously... It also had some major backing via ads and media that looked amazing (pulling star destoryers out of the air, blowing up a whole wookie village with a force push...) With a 8 or so, most people will overlook it with the fall release schedule the way it is. I'm still interested with the game. In fact it is the last game I'm really looking forward to before I hold out for Christmas price drops and such... but with a plethora of titles coming, the 7's and 8's are going to be eclipsed... which will make this appear to flop out of the gate unless it gets amazing reviews.
totaldj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 totaldj
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts
[QUOTE="Maraos"]

A. Length/Replayability

B. a Nice control scheme

C. A not stupid story.

andyrae11

Indeed. Though I think option A is most important.

and i heard its 6 hours long

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
To me it looks great. But I cant afford anything the rest of this year..
Mcderby4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mcderby4
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts
I don't care what it get's rated, but I'm quite a fan of parkour/free running and this game looks like it will deliver.
ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ParkCarsHere
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts
I think the gameplay of Mirror's Edge is going to get old very quickly. I hope that I'm wrong, but these are my initial impressions of the game from the gameplay footage I have seen. I must say though, the part where she is running away from the helicopter that is shooting at her looking really fun. If they can keep that type of motion and action throughout the game, this will be a sleeper hit of 2008.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Will they be able to pull off the Parkour based action game "Mirrors Edge?" Or will they mess up and not be able to pull it off? What are your thoughts? As a tracuer (practitioner of Parkour) I'd much rather go out and do it, but the game looks cool. What do you think?nicknees93

Hard to judge a game that isn't out yet.

Brother_Tevis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Brother_Tevis
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts
I think it looks pretty sweet, I guess as of right now I'm a little confused with the whole flashing red objects thing. I understand it's to keep you on track. But I just don't want them to overplay it, and end up making it just a track. I'd like to figure stuff out for myself a bit.
gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts

first of it needs a good story and accessible gameplay

in my opinion it´s going to hit good in the market and all but it´s going to be forgotten pretty soon and the games that r coming out r just too overwelming

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts
I shall withhold my judgement until the final product is finished.
t8trg8tr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 t8trg8tr
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts

A. Length/Replayability

B. a Nice control scheme

C. A not stupid story.

Maraos

I'm not sure about the length, but the control scheme looks alright. The story looks kinda stupid, though :O.

zintarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40 zintarr
Member since 2004 • 2212 Posts
For craps sake can we at least let games come out before we try to start crapping all over them! The only thing that fails here is this thread and the TC for making it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#41 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
I think it looks like a really nice game, I like the way you can run and jump across buildings and work in this secret organization, it's got nice concept written all over it. I should say, though, that I have no interest in parkour and stuff like that - I'm hoping it focuses more on just the whole frantic, realistic aspect of it, and that the 'sport' of Parkour doesn't play too much a role in the game.
DeathHeart95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 DeathHeart95
Member since 2008 • 2541 Posts

I heard the controls were fluid, so I can't wait for this game. The story sounds like some sort of screwed up future thing, and I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

The replayability has me somewhat worried though. I'm pretty sure this game won't have online, so I hope the single player mode has a long enough length that I won't play it for 10 hours and beat it.

rockwii13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 rockwii13
Member since 2007 • 611 Posts
Um................ let's seeEPIC WIN! If I don't buy it when it comes out, it'll be on my Christmas list.
PlzDuntBanMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 PlzDuntBanMe
Member since 2008 • 3269 Posts
The game looks plain. I think it will be a EPIC FAIL.
imdawiinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 imdawiinner
Member since 2006 • 1475 Posts
My guess? : Epically underrated and ignored yet still a good game in its own right.