Microsoft's last console

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deigo
Member since 2003 • 161 Posts

You know i think the xbox360 might be microsofts last console. Hear me out . Since bluray has won the format war and is now the obvious choice for developers to make huge epic games on. Microsoft will have no choice then to put a bluray drive in the next xbox. And i know for a fact that microsoft will never pay royalties to sony for bluray on xbox. So i dont know folks. The 360 will be around for along time but when we hit the next ... next generation of gaming microsoft will have to pull somthing out of there butt to stay in the war. Anyone have any thoughts?

PS. I could be completly wrong with my statement mabey microsoft is making a bluray xbox and i havent heard about it yet.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#2 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I hope you're joking

Even paying royalties to Sony Microsoft will make a ton of money and can trounce the PS3's sales (and is)
dukerav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dukerav
Member since 2003 • 2029 Posts

You make a valid point, however I cannot see there not being a new Xbox post 360. Now that the Xbox line is making a profit and the great sucess with Live, makes me feel there will most certainly be another Xbox.

Edit: I also think by the time the next Xbox launches, digital downloads of full games may come into play, which would render Blu Ray useless. Seeing as how as long as you had a large enough hard drive, you would have no real constraints in regards to what you could and couldnt put into your game, as is with PC games. You already see this to an extent with Xbox Originals, although they are older games. I may be wrong but I think how well Originals do, as far sales go, could play a large part in whether or not full game downloads become prevailent in the next gen.

deigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deigo
i hope that is true cause i dont want to have to buy a ps3 to play all the unique bluray games that will we coming years to come.
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

There are already movies on the marketplace that are only available on Blu-Ray. Doesnt Microsoft already pay for royalties on those or am i wrong? And i got news for you guys, games will not reach epic sizes just because the disk has room for it. Games will always be restrained by budget, time, and the fact that most gamers prefer shorter games to longer ones.

porky_ownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 porky_ownsu
Member since 2008 • 1287 Posts

Oh please, MC has billions and billions. Shelling out 100 mill. for blu-ray is like nothing. They well make it back in about 6 months from "xbox720" sales, anyways.

pyroshow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pyroshow
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
The console Merge begins......
deigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deigo
maybe but it would be a slap in the face to microsoft knowing that their nemesis sony was right all along about bluray. And having to pay money to the competition will make sony feel like they have won... for now.
deigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deigo
well i'm sorry microsoft is goin to have to change their format sooner or latter even if they dont like it
ronnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 ronnet
Member since 2003 • 9637 Posts

You know i think the xbox360 might be microsofts last console. Hear me out . Since bluray has won the format war and is now the obvious choice for developers to make huge epic games on. Microsoft will have no choice then to put a bluray drive in the next xbox. And i know for a fact that microsoft will never pay royalties to sony for bluray on xbox. So i dont know folks. The 360 will be around for along time but when we hit the next ... next generation of gaming microsoft will have to pull somthing out of there butt to stay in the war. Anyone have any thoughts?

PS. I could be completly wrong with my statement mabey microsoft is making a bluray xbox and i havent heard about it yet.

deigo

You are compleetly wrong.

1. Blu-Ray has beaten the HD-DVD but before the nornal DVD age is over another (and better) format might come to compete and take place in the 360.

2. Microsoft and Sony need each other, Sony Ericson now has Windows Mobile for it's mobiles. Just like Sony Microsoft might not like it but they need them.

Microsoft is a software giant, Sony is a hardware giant. It's that simple, Microsoft needs the best parts for their machines and Sony has the best.

ronnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ronnet
Member since 2003 • 9637 Posts

CORRECTION: and take it's place in the next xbox.

But for this gen Microsoft has chosen the normal DVD which is big enough for almost every game till this generation is over. Only JRPG that use lots of CGI vids need more discs but japanese deverlopers should just learn to make entire vids ingame aswell.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts
PS3 may have the Blu ray,but 360s LIVE service wipes the floor with PSN service
xxW4RLORDxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xxW4RLORDxx
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts

the bluray has 50gb of space right?so microsoft can just make games that comes with more then one disc .

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

deigo

Ok let me say this one last time Sony DOES NOT own Blu-Ray they are on the board of directors but so are a lot of other companies that Microsoft has worked with.

List of the Board of Directors of the Blu-Ray Disc Association who do own Blu-Ray.

Apple Inc., Dell Inc.Hewlett-Packard Company,Hitachi, Ltd., LG Electronics, Mitsubishi Electric, Panasonic , Pioneer Corporation, Royal Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sharp Corporation, Sony Corporation, Sun Microsystems, TDK Corporation, Thomson SA, Twentieth Century Fox, Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.

Sony does not have the final say in who does or doesn't get to use BluRay technology and another thing Sony and Microsoft aren't blood-thirsty rivals there are no slander campaigns when a new console comes out saying things like "Sony voted to make beating your wife legal" or "Microsoft thinks underage drinking is a good idea" they are rivals, but I'm sure they would be able to make some kind of deal if they had to.

dragoon133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dragoon133
Member since 2006 • 754 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the reason the original XBox required the DVD remote was because MS didn't want to pay for the licensing on the consoles themselves? So they got around a similiar problem (yes I am aware of the differences here BTW) once, I'm sure they'll do it again.

ltfan15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 ltfan15
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts
yeah will some one corect me if im wrong but on this site in the news section they were talking about how some girl was sueing blu ray for paten infrigment so they still might not even win. who knows though
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
I don't see a problem with Microsoft accepting Blu-ray in their next console... last time I checked, Sony uses Microsoft's software in their computers...
00Raziel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 00Raziel00
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts
Doubt it even if they don't make much of a profit from gaming I'm sure Microsoft still loves messing with Nintendo and Sony.
ackr1TE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ackr1TE
Member since 2007 • 636 Posts

This is stupid discussion. only reason PS3 came with blueray built in is becaus they wanted to get a big install base off the gate to establish themselvs in the format war, it has NOTHING to do with quality of games because they will NEVER filll up a blueray disc for a GAME so get f'ing real dude.

DVD 9 may hold only 8.5GB's but developers can get alot more out of it due to compression methods.

DVD-9 is ideal for gaming ppl who say BlueRay is needed are extremely loyal to sony or just plain stupid.

eletsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 eletsi
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

The op knows absolutely nothing of business. MS doesn't care the slightest about paying royalties as long as their product profits. Microsoft is the new comer in the console business, and it would be absolutely idiotic to drop out now. The purpose of previous two generations was just to build the market share, and they have succeeded in this. 360 is already a succesful product when you compare the the growth and market share of two previous generations. The next console will be their biggest push. If it succeeds, MS is among the biggest names in the business, if not the winner.

Also MS is known of speaking for the digital distribution. Who knows what they'll come up in the next generation.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

Sony doesn't own Blu-ray and microsoft WILL have Blu-ray in their next console if it's standard. As stated countless times before Sony Vaio's use the windows operating system as will as other Microsoft apps for it. I don't think Microsoft is gonna shoot themselves in the foot and exclude Blu-ray if the market demands it.

As for digital download's i think it's over-rated. I have verizon fios and i'm not even excited about digital downloads. It would probabely take a very long time and A LOT of HDD space to download next gen xbox game to your console. Plus what if something happened to your HDD, there's goes all of your money spent on games?

Agreb91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24 Agreb91
Member since 2005 • 7169 Posts
I think Microsoft could care less about paying to add blu-ray in at a later date. Microsoft knows they have a large fan base for the Xbox and they will not end it just because blu-ray won the format war and is owned by Sony.
ricketyrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ricketyrack
Member since 2007 • 557 Posts
blurays coming to xbox.I saw it on this website a month or two ago.
Avatar image for brandonthesaint
brandonthesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#26 brandonthesaint
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts

Are you slow or something? First of all, Blu-Ray really isn't replacing DVD's because it's still a disc and when the next genration of consoles comes out, memory cards or something else will be the new "DVD". Second of all PS3 sucks and the only thing keeping them up is Blu-Ray, almost all their games have either fell face flat or are multi-platform with Xbox 360. If any company dosen't make a next system, which is a slim chance, it will be Sony, in my opinion.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
they cant just get rid of xbox live
scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
Im pretty sure I read somewhere that Microsoft has already started on the next console.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
... And i know for a fact that microsoft will never pay royalties to sony for bluray on xbox.

...PS. I could be completly wrong with my statement mabey microsoft is making a bluray xbox and i havent heard about it yet.

deigo

lol Nice contradiction. Either it's a fact or you are completely wrong :)

Blu ray may be expensive now, but so was DVD when that was new, and CD's before that. We won't be due new console until atleast 2010, but which times Bluray will be 4 years old and much more widespread than it is now. The cost of drives and disc will come down hugely and it wont be such a big cost to put one in a console.

Sony already worked out that it could reduce the quality of some of the components in the Bluray drive for the 40gb version so it could save money on the cost of the console. Give it a few more years and you will be able to buy a bluray player for as cheap as a basic dvd player costs today.

bluslder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bluslder
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

CORRECTION: and take it's place in the next xbox.

But for this gen Microsoft has chosen the normal DVD which is big enough for almost every game till this generation is over. Only JRPG that use lots of CGI vids need more discs but japanese deverlopers should just learn to make entire vids ingame aswell.

ronnet

In lost oddessy the reason they dont have in game is because it tends to look just like the game and in JRPG cut scenes are meant to be seen as beatiful as they can so I really hope they dont do that.

skitzofraen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 skitzofraen
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts

deigo

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while...

"And i know for a fact that microsoft will never pay royalties to sony for bluray on xbox"

And how exactly do you know this for a fact??
Avatar image for torontomapleafs
torontomapleafs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 torontomapleafs
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts
Why can't Sony Nintendo and Microsoft all just be friends and make one Superior console.
pakman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pakman3000
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts

Sony doesn't own Blu-ray and microsoft WILL have Blu-ray in their next console if it's standard. As stated countless times before Sony Vaio's use the windows operating system as will as other Microsoft apps for it. I don't think Microsoft is gonna shoot themselves in the foot and exclude Blu-ray if the market demands it.

As for digital download's i think it's over-rated. I have verizon fios and i'm not even excited about digital downloads. It would probabely take a very long time and A LOT of HDD space to download next gen xbox game to your console. Plus what if something happened to your HDD, there's goes all of your money spent on games?

littlestreakier

Agree. People like to own something tangible. Plus there's no resale value. You really think there will be no more trade ins? Also, MS will have BluRay. Business is business. Companies aren't like bloods and crips like we are here in system wars.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

deigo

Except that SOny isn't the sole owner of Bluray technology, they are just one of the larger shareholders. Sicne BR won his format war, and MS has nothign to do with HD dvd, they jst liscenced the addon for it, sure BR will end up in the next console. By time the console gets released br player will be cheaper, and they can release their next console at a cheaper price than the PS3 released at.

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

This is stupid discussion. only reason PS3 came with blueray built in is becaus they wanted to get a big install base off the gate to establish themselvs in the format war, it has NOTHING to do with quality of games because they will NEVER filll up a blueray disc for a GAME so get f'ing real dude.

DVD 9 may hold only 8.5GB's but developers can get alot more out of it due to compression methods.

DVD-9 is ideal for gaming ppl who say BlueRay is needed are extremely loyal to sony or just plain stupid.

ackr1TE
This guy is totally bang-on correct!! Everyone knows this is why the PS3 has a blu-ray player in it. Bigger disks has yet to wow anybody or make a jaw dropping difference at all! All it does is make for a lot of CGI gaming (read non playable) In 1080p that a small portion of the population can really take advantage of anyhow.
lol_Internets1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lol_Internets1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
With DVD2 set to release early next year bluray will no longer be needed.
vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts
With DVD2 set to release early next year bluray will no longer be needed. lol_Internets1
Actually I have been wondering if the 360 can take advantage of that revision now? Anyone know?
deigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deigo
it would be a slap in the face to microsoft knowing that their nemesis sony was right all along about bluray. And having to pay money to the competition will make sony feel like they have won... for now.
Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nocturnal15
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts

Wow..

What does a stupid disc format have to do with game quality? Alot of the space on Blu Ray discs dont even get used by the PS3 games. Also Sony is not the sole factor involved with Blu Ray. I believe there is a higher power behind it. Quit with the nonsense threads. I still see the 360 trashing the PS3 as far as gaming goes.

ghost5891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 ghost5891
Member since 2004 • 1296 Posts
why is it so hard to believe that microsoft would pay royalties to sony for bluray? after all sony probably has to pay something to use microsoft windows on there computers.