Microsoft and Epic at odds over DLC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Newmoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Newmoni
Member since 2005 • 780 Posts

I love MS as much as the next guy but this is pretty screwed up.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824172

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
I guess I can't blame MS especially when GeOW is the most popular game and sure to generate the most profit. But at the same time it sucks as a consumer.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
I've seen this rumor more than once, and I have to say it is more than a little frustrating. I don't want to be forced to pay $5 every time a new map is released. I'd like to see a system for all add-ons that works like Bungie's Halo 2 pricing. If you want, you can pay for the new maps and use them before everyone else. Say for a period of 3-6 months. After that there's either a price drop (like from $5 to $2) for another bit, and eventually content is just free.
jsd360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jsd360
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts
I've been seeing this around for the past few days. It makes a lot of sense to me. Lame thing to do MS.
Santas_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Santas_Hitman
Member since 2004 • 1003 Posts
Well seems it was a good thing I got rid of my copy of GOW. And MS is being their typical greedy selves. Boy do I hate that company.
Rev2221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rev2221
Member since 2003 • 369 Posts
holy crap don't they have enough money. i mean everyone at microsoft makes at least 100k a year except for the janitors. my god must they charge for every fu***** thing. pretty soon it'll cost .05 to connect the console to the internet. a new microtransaction.
Sig12047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sig12047
Member since 2004 • 4194 Posts
Yeah, I remember hearing about this before. There's nothing we can do, but some of the prices are absurd. I'm looking at you EA!
jc_tkml

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jc_tkml
Member since 2005 • 1172 Posts
well I'm willing to pay 200 points because it's been sitting here for months the only thing I could buy are gamer pics
jc_tkml

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jc_tkml
Member since 2005 • 1172 Posts

This guy's post is not precise enough. There are three players here, Developer, Publisher, and XBL Service. Since publisher is the one that pays developer, of course publisher has to make sure their spending is not all wasted on free content. If MS is not paying Epic or Bazzari creation to make contents, then, I think MS wouldn't mind nor has the right to negociate from the first place.

I doubt XBL service has the power to change the pricing, clearly there is a lot of free contents on XBL. This issue is between Developer and Publisher. They should make this clear. Developer shouldn't pretent they are doing this for free because they get paid from publishers.

magicalclick

shouldn't our yearly payment for xbox live gold cover this up

EDIT: bandwidth usage etc 

Cedric169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cedric169
Member since 2005 • 2138 Posts
I guess I can't blame MS especially when GeOW is the most popular game and sure to generate the most profit. But at the same time it sucks as a consumer.Large_Soda
mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrnitropb
Member since 2005 • 666 Posts
Microsoft may be greedy, but they ain't stupid. Same for publishers, though less so about not being stupid.
Bigfoot_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Bigfoot_Slayer
Member since 2003 • 211 Posts

These kind of things are the main reasons why I absolutely HATE microsoft, but yet still love the xbox.

Micrsoft is a money mongering company that only cares about themselves, and not much about the consumer of their goods.

The xbox is something I love, not for the company, but for the games... And the one's making the games.

I can understand from a company standpoint you don't want to give out free stuff when you can lawfully charge people for it, and they will pay for it...

But the biggest thing here.... Is how come a lot of things are done?? the first day of Texas Hold Em' was free if I believe correctly... South Park in HD is free for like 2 weeks... So what is Microsoft getting at here?

Is this just rumored?? Or is there more to it then meets the eye?

Halo 2 has had MANY map updates over the years and none have cost anything... As far as I know of... And that is made by Microsoft... So there has to be more to this.

But whether or not there is more, I still despize Microsoft for what they are... And most of their merchandise... But, somewhere in the mix, they did right with the Xbox 360.

SolidKeevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 SolidKeevo
Member since 2004 • 2092 Posts
If the producer/developer wants the game content to be free, LET THEM!! God, I'm starting to hate Microsoft more and more because of stupid things like this.
Sam_Lowery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sam_Lowery
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts
Yea that's lame how they want to get people used to paying for everything. I agree that they should do it like Halo 2 did, 7 maps for $20, but after 6months they're free to everybody. Gears is a big time system seller, they should let Epic give out free maps if they want.
Rebel108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Rebel108
Member since 2006 • 723 Posts
i'm bumping this because i want people to be aware of this and how greedy microsoft is.
gander448

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gander448
Member since 2005 • 810 Posts
you'd think the downloads would be free after 50 bucks a year ey? NOPE, curse you ms, if there is charge, i wont download it, i refuse to feed the fire that is microtransaction, who's with me? I hate this crap
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#19 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
It's a sticky situation for sure. Free stuff is always great, but I also understand Microsoft needs to make some profit, seeing as they are the ones hosting all that content. Dagnabbit...
EazyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 EazyB
Member since 2003 • 7944 Posts

This issue is between Developer and Publisher. They should make this clear. Developer shouldn't pretent they are doing this for free because they get paid from publishers.

magicalclick
Agreed, nice post.
waldo029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 waldo029
Member since 2003 • 35 Posts

most people are saying how much they hate MS but they are smart never the less i would do the same in their shoes

:twisted:THE U.S. ARMED FORCES IS A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION:twisted:

chipface-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chipface-z
Member since 2006 • 1336 Posts
I hope Epic doesn't back down.  Them not charging for extra content for their games is one of the things I love about them.  It'd be really sad if they sold out.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts

most people are saying how much they hate MS but they are smart never the less i would do the same in their shoes

waldo029
There is a difference between smart and greedy. A line MS to often has crossed.
david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
As long as the content is released price really doesn't matter to me.
GodzillaX8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 GodzillaX8
Member since 2003 • 395 Posts
You do realize that Xbox Live has an extremely large amount of servers, that cost an extremely large amount of money to maintain, correct? It's not like you can just turn a server on, and then it works forever. Servers crash, servers require maintenance, servers require highly paid technicians. No, the cost to maintain them is not paid for entirely by your measly $50 a year.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 monco59
[QUOTE="waldo029"]

teebeenz

There is a difference between smart and greedy. A line MS to often has crossed.

Your completely wrong on that. You have to understand (though whether or not you can, I don't know) that MS has to keep those Live servers (the very same ones that would host the DLC) up and running, which in turn costs money. They need to get some compensation for using up their bandwidth and servers. You can't run a company by giving people free stuff all the time. Think before you post is all I can say to you anymore.

I've also noticed you've been doing a lot of trolling here at the 360 forum lately, so that kinda renders your anti-MS rant moot. Why don't you be a good little boy and go post in the appropriate places. 

Avatar image for Screamin_EaGLes
Screamin_EaGLes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Screamin_EaGLes
Member since 2006 • 2278 Posts
Yea that's lame how they want to get people used to paying for everything. I agree that they should do it like Halo 2 did, 7 maps for $20, but after 6months they're free to everybody. Gears is a big time system seller, they should let Epic give out free maps if they want.Sam_Lowery
it's not JUST free maps. i think new weapons and game modes. i'd like a CTF lol for gears i just hope the weapons arent cheesy. but hells yeah epic should be able to do what they want. DAMN YOU BILL GATES!!!!! BUT.........lol if they do charge it, i'm buying it.
Dolacide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Dolacide
Member since 2006 • 1758 Posts

I don't agree just because the president of Epic stated all DLC on live would be free, now I could understand when Gears2 comes out and they charge for the DLC for that, I would actually pay because I think, they gave me free stuff for the first. But to make a comment, and then don't follow through is BS. And who can fault Microsoft they are a company and no matter what anybody thinks, company's only care about your dollars, not you.

Avatar image for PaintballinDude
PaintballinDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PaintballinDude
Member since 2004 • 1092 Posts

I love MS as much as the next guy but this is pretty screwed up.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824172

Newmoni
Microsoft is greedy. Shouldnt be any new news...
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 teebeenz
our completely wrong on that. You have to understand (though whether or not you can, I don't know) that MS has to keep those Live servers (the very same ones that would host the DLC) up and running, which in turn costs money. monco59
Money they get from sale of hardware, as well as sale of games, not to mention the fact they're the richest company in the world, they can afford to run online free of charge.
Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
I guess I can't blame MS especially when GeOW is the most popular game and sure to generate the most profit. But at the same time it sucks as a consumer.Large_Soda
pfft i can. I'm already paying $10 extra per game this gen & its damn sad that you have to pay even more for small additions to these games in micro transactions.
betamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 betamon
Member since 2006 • 306 Posts
well I'm willing to pay 200 points because it's been sitting here for months the only thing I could buy are gamer pics jc_tkml
That's exactly what I dislike about their points system--they make you pay for 1000 points when all you need is 800.
Hotwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hotwad
Member since 2006 • 1146 Posts

You do realize that Xbox Live has an extremely large amount of servers, that cost an extremely large amount of money to maintain, correct? It's not like you can just turn a server on, and then it works forever. Servers crash, servers require maintenance, servers require highly paid technicians. No, the cost to maintain them is not paid for entirely by your measly $50 a year.GodzillaX8

6 million subscribers @ 50  a year, not to mention the ones who pay more goign month by month or 3 month cards. thats 300,000,000 dollars. your telling me thats not enough to cover server costs? ha...

bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
Microsoft cares more about capitalism than fan service. Epic cares more about fan service than capitalism. Fight!
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 teebeenz
Microsoft cares more about capitalism than fan service. Epic cares more about fan service than capitalism. Fight!bman784
This is why its so surpising they support MS. Epic knows as well as anyone else that by supporting MS they'e doing nothing but increasing the risk of a monopoly in the console business (as thats what MS wants), and when that happens prices go up, quality goes down and consumers get screwed.
mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

holy crap don't they have enough money. i mean everyone at microsoft makes at least 100k a year except for the janitors. my god must they charge for every fu***** thing. pretty soon it'll cost .05 to connect the console to the internet. a new microtransaction.Rev2221

yeah, the Janitors get paid 99K a year.

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 teebeenz
yeah, the Janitors get paid 99K a year.mazdero
Actulay many MS staff became rich in the early 90s when they "removed" their last compeition and stocks got boosted, same thing happened in the turn of the century during the .com boom. Janitors, Coders, Execs etc all who had stock became rich fast.
Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#39 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
Microsoft best let epic do whatever the hell they want.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 monco59
[QUOTE="monco59"]our completely wrong on that. You have to understand (though whether or not you can, I don't know) that MS has to keep those Live servers (the very same ones that would host the DLC) up and running, which in turn costs money. teebeenz
Money they get from sale of hardware, as well as sale of games, not to mention the fact they're the richest company in the world, they can afford to run online free of charge.

That's not the point. Money they make off hardware and software sales is money earned by selling that particular product. It doesn't mean that just because they make money from Product A, they should make Product B free. For Pete's sake, try thinking this through man. You can't seriously be that daft... By your logic, we should pay for our car but not the gas to run it. And do you know why they are the richest company on Earth? Bingo! They function like any company should, by making profits. Not handing out freebies.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 monco59

[QUOTE="GodzillaX8"]You do realize that Xbox Live has an extremely large amount of servers, that cost an extremely large amount of money to maintain, correct? It's not like you can just turn a server on, and then it works forever. Servers crash, servers require maintenance, servers require highly paid technicians. No, the cost to maintain them is not paid for entirely by your measly $50 a year.Hotwad

6 million subscribers @ 50 a year, not to mention the ones who pay more goign month by month or 3 month cards. thats 300,000,000 dollars. your telling me thats not enough to cover server costs? ha...

Of course it's enough to cover server costs, but not the additional costs it takes to host that DLC. And like any company, they're trying to make a profit at the same time.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 monco59

[QUOTE="GodzillaX8"]You do realize that Xbox Live has an extremely large amount of servers, that cost an extremely large amount of money to maintain, correct? It's not like you can just turn a server on, and then it works forever. Servers crash, servers require maintenance, servers require highly paid technicians. No, the cost to maintain them is not paid for entirely by your measly $50 a year.Hotwad

6 million subscribers @ 50 a year, not to mention the ones who pay more goign month by month or 3 month cards. thats 300,000,000 dollars. your telling me thats not enough to cover server costs? ha...

Of course it's enough to cover server costs, but not the additional costs it takes to host that DLC. And like any company, they're trying to make a profit at the same time.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 monco59
[QUOTE="bman784"]Microsoft cares more about capitalism than fan service. Epic cares more about fan service than capitalism. Fight!teebeenz
This is why its so surpising they support MS. Epic knows as well as anyone else that by supporting MS they'e doing nothing but increasing the risk of a monopoly in the console business (as thats what MS wants), and when that happens prices go up, quality goes down and consumers get screwed.

And you think Sony is trying to play well with everyone, not wanting a monopoly themselves? That must be why they always have such nice things to say about the competition. Grow up cows...
GodzillaX8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 GodzillaX8
Member since 2003 • 395 Posts
"Following the launch of Xbox Live in November 2002, gamers have spent over 2.3 billion hours on the network playing games online with their friends around the world. This is equal to 95 million days of gaming or over 260,000 years." Do you realize how insanely much it would cost to provide that many servers? Let alone the fact that now people are downloading several gigabytes of content quite frequently from XBL because of the video marketplace and downloadable demos. The fact that they have 6 million subscribers is meaningless, that just means they have even MORE servers that require even more people to keep up and running. And in case you didn't realize this yet, the marketplace content is one of their primary sources of income on Xbox 360. I've personally spent at least $100 on marketplace content, and I'm sure there's quite a few other people who've spent even more than that too.
sophospeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sophospeare
Member since 2003 • 443 Posts

[QUOTE="Rev2221"]holy crap don't they have enough money. i mean everyone at microsoft makes at least 100k a year except for the janitors. my god must they charge for every fu***** thing. pretty soon it'll cost .05 to connect the console to the internet. a new microtransaction.mazdero

yeah, the Janitors get paid 99K a year.

I just heard they got bumped up to 100K/year now, plus stock options.
sophospeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sophospeare
Member since 2003 • 443 Posts

6 million subscribers @ 50  a year, not to mention the ones who pay more goign month by month or 3 month cards. thats 300,000,000 dollars. your telling me thats not enough to cover server costs? ha...

You beat me to the punch. You know darn well they're profiting from the $50 fee. Forcing us to pay for DLC is pure greed on MS' part. Well, let's hope another sponsor comes out of the woodwork for this download too. MS makes a great console, but they need to start treating their exclusive-content providers and customers better or you may see one of the future Gears of War as a not-so-exclusive title unless, of course, MS buys Epic.
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts
epic is dedicated to their fans; and i like that
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts
couldnt' they just put a bunch of ads and crap to make it free?
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 teebeenz
[QUOTE="monco59"] That's not the point. Money they make off hardware and software sales is money earned by selling that particular product. It doesn't mean that just because they make money from Product A, they should make Product B free. For Pete's sake, try thinking this through man. You can't seriously be that daft... By your logic, we should pay for our car but not the gas to run it. And do you know why they are the richest company on Earth? Bingo! They function like any company should, by making profits. Not handing out freebies.

No your statement is flawed. It would make sense if the Car company made the fuel, which they dont. No, they fuction like a company who does everything in their power to ripoff other companies, sabtage, theyve done that, ripping off others for their products, plenty of times, over charging.... always.
s enough to cover server costs, but not the additional costs it takes to host that DLC. And like any company, they're trying to make a profit at the same time.monco59
DLC takes almost no money to host, think about how much it costs say GS to host all those videos. And of course once again MS makes money of the vast majorioty of that content as the thread is about. [QUOTE="monco59"] And you think Sony is trying to play well with everyone, not wanting a monopoly themselves? That must be why they always have such nice things to say about the competition. Grow up cows...

Its the rivalry with others in an industry which IS competition, thats the point you constantly fight to out do the others, to out price them to put more features etc. MS doesnt do this, they release a quick product, bought out from someone else or recycled from existing products, slap on a name they made or "buy" if they have to, then eventualy link it to windows to finish everyone else off. Oh and MS is working on a new Ads in games system soon, tho they wont be dropping the price of anything they sell. Interesting.
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
Honestly guys, stop calling MS greedy like that's something odd or out of the ordinary. They are a corporation, their main purpose to which all other are subordinate is making money. That is the purpose of every single company and corporation out there, if you don't like it, best move to a non-capitalist country. In those countries the government just steals from you. Truth of the matter is that Gears is incredibly popular and MS would be incredibly stupid to not make money off this stuff. You rarely ever get anything totally 100% free, and you always get what you pay for, remember that.