Melee attacks and their over use in FPS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrMurphy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MrMurphy72
Member since 2007 • 267 Posts
After playing another fun filled night of COD4 beta I got to thinking about how pretty much every FPS has a melee attack now- a- days. I personally find it to be an annoying trend.I mean if you really think about it did you buy a FPS to hit or shoot ??? Lets also not forget how over powered the melee attacks have been. Are we to believe that 5 rounds of .45acp do less damage then a smack to the face with the butt of a gun??? Or 3 rounds of 5.56x 45(nato spec ammo for the M4/M16 for those of you who aren't firearms savy) does less damage then a knife? The idea is ridiculous especially considering the fact that most developers are doing more and more to push the realm of realism in gaming. Now I can understand why a melee attack maybe necessary in certain situations but they in no way should be an instant kill. How about instead of the knife in COD4 killing you instantly it had the same effect as a stun grenade/flash bang or even injured you where eventually you would bleed out. That is by far a better concept then instant death. Point is this trend in gaming is becoming disturbing and only hurts the overall evolution of gaming in general. I remember back when RTCW came out on the PC and original Xbox there were games where everyone just ran around and shanked people. Its just plain dumb. So how do you all feel about melee attacks and the FPS??? Poll inbound.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

Blame halo...

XxSPAZxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XxSPAZxX
Member since 2007 • 1213 Posts

if it is that big of a deal to u stop playing FPS i love wacking people with my gun or coming out of my hiding place and knifing someone :p

reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts
COD4's melee seems fine to me, Since you ARE cutting your opponent with a knife. Halo's melee isn't really overpowered since MC is like a super-human
cougar65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cougar65
Member since 2003 • 1035 Posts
I agree that it wouldn't do as much damage, but a good pistol whipping can certainly knock a guy out. Why not make it in a game where you can't kill someone with a melee attack but you can knock him down. Then you shoot him.
degobah77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 degobah77
Member since 2006 • 1048 Posts
Think of it as severe punishment for allowing someone to get way too close to you.
Lo_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Lo_Rising
Member since 2007 • 930 Posts

I agree that it wouldn't do as much damage, but a good pistol whipping can certainly knock a guy out. Why not make it in a game where you can't kill someone with a melee attack but you can knock him down. Then you shoot him.cougar65

that is actually nota bad idea, i personally love to melee someone but it is a little overstated when it comes to it being able to kill someone

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

i want a game with more then just a basic melee attack like breakdown

nodnarb879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nodnarb879
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I do think they are cheap, but damn I am guilty of using them every chance i get. Mainly because I love seeing my name at the top of the list at the end of games. :D
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
Melee attacks work beautifully in some games, such as Halo and Call of Duty 4.

In Halo, you get rewarded for your stealth, so if you sneak up on someone unsuspecting and smash him from behind then that is an instant kill. If you are in a gun fight and start to close in on one another then you change over to close quarters combat and smash your guns at each other until someone dies. It's not as if ALL melees are instant kills.

In CoD 4 you are sticking dudes with knives from behind again as a penalty for leaving yourself exposed. Another cool thing that CoD 4 has is if you shoot someone and they fall to the ground but aren't dead, they can shoot you, or you can walk up to them and melee and then slit their throat.

Both games reward you with melee, but they are never overpowering to the point where you can dominate. If you hate melee, then keep people at distance so they can't use it.

donny666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 donny666
Member since 2007 • 422 Posts

There are people who have survived being shot more than once and survived. On the other hand a knife is way more certain. I agree about the pistol whipping though, at most it should allow you to coup de grace with a bullet.

Ryeferd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ryeferd
Member since 2006 • 5198 Posts
The melee attack in CoD4 is one of my favorite parts of the game. It cuts down on the situation of two guys running around in circles shooting each other from two feet away until one of them finally dies. slitting someone's throat will pretty much kill them at least as quickly as any bullet.
MrMurphy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrMurphy72
But most of you are missing my point. Slitting someones throat is not as easy as these games make it out to be or hitting someone from behind and killing them just doesn't happen. Its a FPS FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. Its not a stealth melee stabbing game SMSG. If this game was real life you mean to tell me that all of you who voted for loving melees would just run around with your knife or gun butt out trying to stealth your way to survival. If youlove stealth so much go play Splinter Cell. Now here come the kids with the "dude its not reallife its a game " comments. Well if it is a game then why does anyone care about how real things look???? Or how realistic thephysics are. Point is AGAIN that melees are way over used in ALL FPS. I'm not saying I don't use them of course I do but only because I have to. And that is how I voted. I do have a friend or 2 who refuse to use melee attacks AT ALL. Anyway just wait until COD4 does come out and see how long before almost every game turns into a bunch of guys using the silent perk and the extreme conditioning perk as they run around with their K-Bars out playing stabby stabby. It really is ruining the FPS genre.
ArsenicA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 ArsenicA
Member since 2007 • 1446 Posts
well mele atacks are usefull when an enemy rush in front of u in the middle of a reload... man i wish R6V had Melee atacks:?
Prodigy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Prodigy117
Member since 2006 • 998 Posts
Wow I must have faced u in COD4 then because I like to think of myself as "A Solid Snake" type of soilder taking the back ways of maps and using my knife and pistol and only using my rifle when necessarry.
wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts

Blame halo...

II-FBIsniper-II

all the cool kids are doing it.

and for the TC, melee attacks are just lots of fun, and make you feel powerfull most of the time. it may not be realistic to have them be so powerfull, but games aren't about reality no matter how much the consumer think they are. what they are is a non-reality, a distraction, a fantasy, if it was as real as could get then it wouldn't be very fun.

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts

If this game was real lifeMrMurphy72

That's the thing. It's a game. It doesn't have to be realistic. I play games for fun, not for realism.

BigDaveyDogz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BigDaveyDogz
Member since 2003 • 1815 Posts

Melee is part of the game. Deal with it and STOP WHINING!!

pjam07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pjam07
Member since 2004 • 170 Posts

If you want to get realistic most long guns(rifles and such) are not affective within knife range due to there overall length and on top of that the users body armor. If a trained soldier is close enough to get you with the knife he has a great chance of delivering a mortal blow with it compared to trying to land a round in the struggle the would ensue in close range combat.

Then if you want to say 5 .45(which most pistols in cod4 are not) rounds at close range, yeah theyll hurt but then again comes the getting five rounds off, land the five rounds in areas that are not covered in armor but will still do damage and doing all that before i sink my knife into ur neck, chest, stomach, spleen, back.

If you should be complaining about anything its the magical abilitiy to regenerate health after being harmed, not the power of a melee, esp when its with a knife. And please dont throw around calibers, as anyone who owns or is a gun enthusist does not call them 45acp or 5.56x45, rather just .45 and 5.56(or natos). Im sorry but this topic failed and your idea for a knife to have the same effect as a stun grenade or flash bang? What the hell dude

FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 FalcoLX
Member since 2007 • 4452 Posts
Besides slightly biased poll, I like them and I use them but it's definitely not all I use. The gun is still the main weapon, but melee works for attacks from behind. I hate missing melee's at close range cuz it happens all the time.
vaultinasafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vaultinasafe
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts
I, personally, never use melee attacks. They are a cheap way to win! The only game I'd ever melee someone in is Gears of War, since they have the unique chainsaw gun.
thirteenthstep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thirteenthstep
Member since 2004 • 364 Posts
Overly biased poll. I think melee increases strategy, if a moron is running at you not shooting... he's going to try and melee you. If you're both up close melee has a chance to miss while with shooting you can still kill even though the melee at this point is stronger. Its about how you play and adapting to the game. Yeah lets not take out a feature that improves gameplay imo.
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts

I, personally, never use melee attacks. They are a cheap way to win! The only game I'd ever melee someone in is Gears of War, since they have the unique chainsaw gun.vaultinasafe

Meleeing in Gears is ridiculously overpowered.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts
Well, consider that they don't cost ammo, they do alot of damage, and it gives the entire game a bit more of a realistic feel. I see no way that they are overused. About your damage fact, well yeah of course they do alot of damage, but it would be quite a let down taking the risk to get close to your enemy, then slamming him with the good ol M1 Garand butt, without having him to die as a result. Because you normally taking great risks when trying to melee some1 in FPS. And by the way, i don't think i would feel 100% on top if i got a good hit from a rifle butt straight in the face, to be honest it will at least knock you out for a couple of hours, and i dont think any FPS multiplayer game takes a couple of hours ;)
W1D0W_MAK3R99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 W1D0W_MAK3R99
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

sure melee ataks r cheap but its good for finishing off a guy at the end of a fight, its fun and its a part of the game so just u ur head and dont let the guy get close enough to

MrMurphy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrMurphy72

If you want to get realistic most long guns(rifles and such) are not affective within knife range due to there overall length and on top of that the users body armor. If a trained soldier is close enough to get you with the knife he has a great chance of delivering a mortal blow with it compared to trying to land a round in the struggle the would ensue in close range combat.

Then if you want to say 5 .45(which most pistols in cod4 are not) rounds at close range, yeah theyll hurt but then again comes the getting five rounds off, land the five rounds in areas that are not covered in armor but will still do damage and doing all that before i sink my knife into ur neck, chest, stomach, spleen, back.

If you should be complaining about anything its the magical abilitiy to regenerate health after being harmed, not the power of a melee, esp when its with a knife. And please dont throw around calibers, as anyone who owns or is a gun enthusist does not call them 45acp or 5.56x45, rather just .45 and 5.56(or natos). Im sorry but this topic failed and your idea for a knife to have the same effect as a stun grenade or flash bang? What the hell dude

pjam07

You are correct sir most long guns(rifles and such) are not affective within knife range due to there overall length and on top of that the users body armor. That is why you are issued a side arm or secondary weapon ie. handgun. There are 3 handguns in the beta. Those are the M9 which is a 9mmparabellum the USP .45 which is a 45ACP and the M1911 Colt .45 which is also a 45 ACP (2 out of 3 available side arms are 45 ACP which means youre wrong in stating that most pistols in COD4 are not .45 ACP) Anyone who has EVER been in the military knows and has it drilled into their brain that the Rifle is your primary weapon. Your sidearm should only be used where your rifle can not and a knife is used for opening your MREs.Very little to no training is given to military personell in the ways of the knife because if you need to use your knife you did something wrong.More over the kenetic energy delivered from .45 ACP is enough to cause significant trama and injury even with body armor. Furthermore to keep this brief if you were a gun enthusiast or knew anything about firearms in general you would know that WE DO INFACT designate .45 ACP because there are various versions of .45. There is .45 ACP, .45 COLT, .45 LONG COLT ETC. And yes we do designate 5.56x45 over .223 Remington because there is a difference. Im sorry but you failed in your idea that you have any idea what you are talking about. You post only confirms my suspicions that gamers are just getting dumber by the decade. The sad part is that the game designers are making games which reinforces your bad habits.