Mass Effect... keep going or quit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lakersfan576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lakersfan576
Member since 2010 • 70 Posts

I recently bought Mass Effect and I am REALLY trying to get into it; however, the gameplay is horrid and I can not get past that fact. I do not care about any glitches, elevator scenes nor the Mako, it is just the gameplay. My predicament is strange for I absolutely love ME2 and it is my #2 game of all time. So my question is should I just keep playing and wait for it to improve somehow or just drop it? (BTW i am playing as an Infiltrator and am about 3 hours in)

Je_Bro124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Je_Bro124
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
Keep playing! Just try to beat it fast if you don't like the gameplay that much.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Just quit why force yourself through a game? Maybe switch classes and see if you can stand it otherwise just quit.

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Just quit why force yourself through a game? Maybe switch classes and see if you can stand it otherwise just quit.

craigalan23

Wow never though about that. thanks for the head up

lakersfan576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lakersfan576

craigalan23

I want to force my self because i have heard amazing thing about the game and, like I said, I loved ME2 so I would really like to fall in love with the first installment as well.

Anyway, what class would you say has the best "gameplay" or is the closest to ME2's Infiltrator class, because the infiltrator in 1 is not doing it for me. Scoping in with a sniper is like a baby on crack trying to shoot a gun.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Vanguard was my favorite class by far in both games.

t0taldj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 t0taldj
Member since 2009 • 1397 Posts

The gameplay in Mass Effect 2 is silky smooth. I also thought the gameplay in ME1 was horrible, I just played it (on easy) for the story and exploration. Despite it's gameplay, it's an awesome game. When you'll switch to ME2, you'll be amazed by the gameplay improvement. It's waaaay fun, and you'll be glad that you beat ME1 since some choices make minor differences in ME2.

Avatar image for Fallout3fan0330
Fallout3fan0330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fallout3fan0330
Member since 2009 • 256 Posts

Keep playing, it will get a lot better.

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

this is one of those games where u should have played the first before the 2nd because of the gameplay changes they made makes it feel odd. I had my first play-through with an infiltrator and even tho its my fav class, it was really hard to get into. Try something like vangaurd and maybe it will help or maybe turn down the difficulty if its too hard

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I'm just kind of shocked that you played ME2 first instead of going through the first Mass Effect and understanding it's story and all.

I think you should keep playing, and i also believe ME2 ruined your taste for the first one. After completing both games and spending countless of hours on each, i know that i wouldn't play through the first one again unless i had to. ME2 is that much better, in nearly every way. But yeah just keep playing and see what happens, you may like it as the game continues. I loved both Mass Effect games, i never knew someone could dislike one of the two. :P

Blackhawk692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Blackhawk692
Member since 2005 • 1306 Posts

you kinda ruinned it for yourself, Mass Effect doesn't have that bad of gameplay, it is just Mass Effect 2 was just that much better

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Adept is probably the most fun class in ME1, but if you don't like the game just stop playing it. You already went through the sequel without playing the first, no point now in forcing your way through.
lakersfan576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lakersfan576

I went through ME2 first because I heard that I will be informed of everything I need to know and I never expected to really like the game that much, hell I chose to play FF13 before this :/.

But besides that, are Infiltrators any good in the first one? Because so far they are far from what I expected and will probably re-roll as a new class if they do not get any better.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Vanguard was my favorite class by far in both games.

craigalan23
Same here. Although in ME1, my first character was a soldier but I found it to be too easy and somewhat boring. I went Vanguard and never looked back. As a matter of fact, the Vanguard is the only class I played in Mass Effect 2 and I played through it twice. TC. ME1 is amazing. But if you do not find the gameplay to be fun, or compelling enough for you to see the game through, I would also say quit. But before you "quit," try another class. I recommend vanguard as well.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Restart as a soldier.
agentdandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 agentdandb
Member since 2006 • 5891 Posts

Keep going. It's one of my top ten games of all time.

It gets better, the story really draws you in.

Alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Alcamin
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts

Yes, I'd say keep going. I can understand why you are having problems though. Mass Effect 2 is a much tighter, well-rounded games in virtually all aspects, and if you have played that and liked it, then Mass Effect will feeling awkward and hard to use. That's why I made sure I finished it before moving into the sequel, despite it sitting next to me, taunting my slowness, for weeks! It nearly drove me crazy!

Still, Mass Effect is worth playing for the story alone, plus if you transfer a completed save file over to Mass Effect 2 then you will get a much enhanced version of that game as well (and potentially Mass Effect 3 too), which is a pretty awesome reason to do it in and of itself. Who knows, if you do that then it might even move from your #2 stop on your list to the very top. Just keep at it and see. :)

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#19 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

I recently bought Mass Effect and I am REALLY trying to get into it; however, the gameplay is horrid and I can not get past that fact. I do not care about any glitches, elevator scenes nor the Mako, it is just the gameplay. My predicament is strange for I absolutely love ME2 and it is my #2 game of all time. So my question is should I just keep playing and wait for it to improve somehow or just drop it? (BTW i am playing as an Infiltrator and am about 3 hours in)

lakersfan576
If you're not feeling it then stop playing it. It's supposed to be fun, not a choir.
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

If you haven't gotten to the point where you become a spectre (it's only a few hours in IIRC), I would say keep playing up to at least a few hours after that point.. The games story picks up a bit. Most people I know who didn't play through the game and loved it never even made it past the first few hours. Everyone who made it past the point I mentioned couldn't get enough of the game.