Mass Effect! Great game??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bam925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bam925
Member since 2003 • 465 Posts

It seems that EVERYONE loves Mass Effect. And now I feel like I totally missed out. I'm not flamming in anyway, but.....

I enjoyed the game as well, great story, characters and non-linear freedom. But, something about the gameplay wasn't right to me. It seemed like my squad mates would be killed to easily and I was always left solo fighting at the end. Anyone else have this problem? Or anyone agree that Mass Effect just wasn't what you thought it was?

karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
I was bitterly disappointed with a lot of the changes they made in the late develpment of the game. Interupting people mid-sentence seemed like such a good idea :( Also, why did they take out that team-placementscreen thingy? You know, the thing that paused the game and let you place a marker for your team-mates to go to. They took out the ability to control other team-mates too :( Also, the side quests were worse than Oblivion's. And who thought that the un-charted worlds were a good idea? Exploring a barren, bland looking world that has nothing on it but rocks, crashed sattelites and identical bases doesn't seem like fun to me...
bam925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bam925
Member since 2003 • 465 Posts

I was bitterly disappointed with a lot of the changes they made in the late develpment of the game. Interupting people mid-sentence seemed like such a good idea :( Also, why did they take out that team-placementscreen thingy? You know, the thing that paused the game and let you place a marker for your team-mates to go to. They took out the ability to control other team-mates too :( Also, the side quests were worse than Oblivion's. And who thought that the un-charted worlds were a good idea? Exploring a barren, bland looking world that has nothing on it but rocks, crashed sattelites and identical bases doesn't seem like fun to me...karriston

You've hit my other same problems with the game spot on. I hope someone who is pro-Mass Effect can counter our points and say why they can overlook this obvious flaws. This game could have been mutch better.

Avatar image for ViscaBarcaInter
ViscaBarcaInter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ViscaBarcaInter
Member since 2007 • 382 Posts
It was precisely BECAUSE ME was so good to me I could over look flaws. Firstly, not being able to control the squad, either directly or through giving individual orders, meant nothing to me, it was a non issue. It would kind of go against the whole customised Shepard character if he/she was just one characer amongst many. The bland worlds could be worked on, I don't mind some but there were tons of planets that had nothing but a couple of satellites to find. They should fix that. :D
Grave_of_Guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Grave_of_Guns
Member since 2008 • 63 Posts
I found Wrex's AI to be rather dumb at times...I'd give the squad order to stay or take cover....and Wrex would always rush them--which left me cursing at him and his horrible AI...
SaintJotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SaintJotun
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts
I hated the game.
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

Well... I pretty much agree with the 8.5 it got on GameSpot.

It's a really, really great game - a must buy - but it has it's little flaws...

Totally glad that I own it though - well worth $60.

X_gamer_god_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#8 X_gamer_god_X
Member since 2005 • 1263 Posts
The side quests were very tedeous and boring, but I loved everything else about it. Too bad I traded it in for Turok! Biggest dissapointment ever!
DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

It seems that EVERYONE loves Mass Effect. And now I feel like I totally missed out. I'm not flamming in anyway, but.....

I enjoyed the game as well, great story, characters and non-linear freedom. But, something about the gameplay wasn't right to me. It seemed like my squad mates would be killed to easily and I was always left solo fighting at the end. Anyone else have this problem? Or anyone agree that Mass Effect just wasn't what you thought it was?

bam925

Maybe you should have thought out the strategies for commanding your squad mates around then? If you don't give them specific commands in allot of situations they will die too easily - but if you think about what you want them to do and them tell them to do it - they become a very usefull tool. In my experience at least.

I'm only 12 hours in but absolutely love the game. :)

MuffinPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 MuffinPunk
Member since 2007 • 4845 Posts
I loved it, greatest RPG this generation for me. I just told my teammates what to do and they survived. If they were hurt I told them to hide, gave them medi-gel or told them to use one of the shield increasing powers. I never really used wrex but when I did he seemed pretty strong, if a teammate uses a shotgun they charge because it's a close range weapon. So I gave them all AR's or pistols. I thought that the uncharted worlds were a little repetitive, but you got so much credit for exploring them I didn't mind. And I'm a nice person so I was never gonna cut anyone off mid sentence but that was a cool idea, maybe ME2 will have it.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
You'll want to put points into your (and your teammates') first aid ability, and the Spectre training so you can learn Unity. Equip their armors with regenerating health mods and stuff to minimize their damage. The only skill that will "stack" among teammates is the First Aid one though. But it's also a good idea to have someone with a good amount of points in the Medicine ability for Neural Shock (great against living targets) and to reduce the time in which it takes to use another. Also, have you tried the "Bring down the sky" expansion? I would save this one for last if possible, because completing it allows you acces to at least one "ultimate" upgrade or armor, and thus saving it for when you'd levelled up a lot meansyou get a higher-level mod/upgrade/part.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

When I started playing it I couldn't resist exploring the uncharted worlds. I've played for over 20 hours and I think I'm just past half way of the main story. Problem is I'm pretty bored of Mass Effect now and I'm finding it hard to make myself carry on.

I'm playing through as a soldier. Not having biotic abilities is kinda crap. I tried other classes at first but they couldn't use the sniper rifle or other weapons. I just wanted a character who could do a bit of everything. He didn't have to be the master of anything. I played Oblivion in the same way. Making a character for one thing and another for something else isn't the way I do things.

I know when you unlock the weapon achievements you can choose training of that weapon for another character. I don't want to start again so I can add sniper training to a sentinel.

Anyway, I'm going on a bit here. Mass Effect is a good, above average game. It just isn't as good as it could've been.

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BlindEffekt
Member since 2007 • 897 Posts
[QUOTE="karriston"]I was bitterly disappointed with a lot of the changes they made in the late develpment of the game. Interupting people mid-sentence seemed like such a good idea :( Also, why did they take out that team-placementscreen thingy? You know, the thing that paused the game and let you place a marker for your team-mates to go to. They took out the ability to control other team-mates too :( Also, the side quests were worse than Oblivion's. And who thought that the un-charted worlds were a good idea? Exploring a barren, bland looking world that has nothing on it but rocks, crashed sattelites and identical bases doesn't seem like fun to me...

You can interrupt them during talking, whilst their speaking hit "A". If there is a somewhat aggresive dialogue choice, shepard most likely will interupt and override them :)
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

I hated the game.SaintJotun

You would!

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BlindEffekt
Member since 2007 • 897 Posts

[QUOTE="SaintJotun"]I hated the game.julianwelton

You would!

YEAAAH !!!! GET HIM!
BenBenBen93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 BenBenBen93
Member since 2007 • 828 Posts
lol try it on insane then your team matesjust die thats the end of it they survive on the easier NOT THE HARDCORE OR INSANE LEVELS
BenBenBen93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 BenBenBen93
Member since 2007 • 828 Posts
I love mass effect like its achievement thing love the weapon mods biotic/tech powers etc love the cut scenes and all that. but i didn't like that the AI is stupid sometimes and that the uninteractive people on the citadel just standing around blocking where you want to walk not being able to shoot them grenade them i would of love the taking control of people part that they take out it would help on the harder difficulties. they should of kept the buttinginto the sentence thing i would always done it to tali (my least fav char) but overall it is a great game great story some good side missions like cebrus (i think that's how you spell it ) side missions an is well worth getting it just could do with a few improvements bring on ME2 :D
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
Mass Effect is a good game but not a great game. It tries to be to many things I feel and doesn't really hit it out of the part at anyone of them. It comes down to the combat in the game for to be honest. I'm still not crazy about it after all this time.
makchady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 makchady
Member since 2007 • 1291 Posts
My problem with the game was that i didnt actually want to play it. I reluctantly played the game to go from cut scene or dialogue scenario to the next cut scene. I would have much rather just watched a 2 hour Mass Effect movie because the gameplay wasnt enjoyable.
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts

My problem with the game was that i didnt actually want to play it. I reluctantly played the game to go from cut scene or dialogue scenario to the next cut scene. I would have much rather just watched a 2 hour Mass Effect movie because the gameplay wasnt enjoyable. makchady

I know that exact feeling. I'm playing the game mainly for the story and only for the story for the most part. The actual combat is more of a chore then anything else. I'd rather not have to do it if was an option.

gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts

I really enjoyed Mass Effect. It was one of the best action/RPG games I've played. However, I recognize that it did have flaws.

Regarding your squad mates being killed too easily, I'm guessing you didn't have Wrex in your party hehe. I set my squad power usage to active rather than defensive only (which is default) from the gameplay menu. My party members seemed to survive more often this way. Also, having a right balance helps too. Like Wrex obviously can survive longer than Liara.

I don't know if you did change the squad power usage or not, but I had a similar problem as you mentioned. My party members always died on me and I was left fighting solo. Once I switched the squad power to active, I rarely ran into this problem of fighting solo.