Lost Odyssey - What's all this about? (My review)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarthSnipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DarthSnipa
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts

I recently rented the latest JRPG game, Lost Odyssey, for the Xbox 360. Now, I've currently put about six and a half hours into this game, and I've also seen the ratings on the Internet. I'm here to ask - what gives? This game, which only got about a 7 or 8 as an average, deserves much better. GameSpot gives it a 7.5; I would give it a solid 9. The cutscenes in this game are the most amazing I have ever seen, and seeing as how I don't even have a high-def TV, that's saying something.

The gameplay: Sure, it's not the greatest, as some of the normal enemies seem to be able to do enough damage to almost kill you (on that part, seriously, what gives), but the turn-based fighting is something I haven't seen integrated in a long time, and Lost Odyssey presents it brilliantly. While the boss fights can get annoying, once you try 'em a few times, you form a strategy, and you manage to take it down. With all this and more, surely this is a reason to get a higher rating?

The graphics: As I stated earlier, simply stunning. Between the cutscenes and simply in-game visuals, these are some of the best graphics I've ever seen on the Xbox 360. Top notch, bar none, 'nuff said.

The storyline: Built on forgotten memories, backstabbing-traitors, wars, and lots of violence, the storyline in LO is extremely thrilling. As you go about and build you party up, you unlock more information about your storyline (which just happens to be so big, it takes up four discs, and, apparently, 35-40 hours of your time, depending on skill and thoroughness). Seeing as how I doubt I'll be able to beat this game before my 5-day rental period is up, I can only hope it's as good at the end of the game (or better) as it is at the beginning of the game.

The miscellaneous: First and foremost, I LOVE THIS GAME'S FREAKING MUSIC! From the slow-paced, tranquility of the travelling part of the game, to the up-beat, fast and exciting music of the combat, this game's music is reason alone to make you try this game. Lastly, the humour of the game, especially Jansen's lightens the mood considerably and makes the most serious of moments hilarious. I find myself actually laughing aloud at some parts, something a video game has seldom (if ever) caused for me.

Gameplay: 8.8

Graphics: 9.7

Storyline: 9.5

Miscellaneous: 9.0

Overall: 9.2

Now that is the type of rating this game deserves.

Hadoken_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hadoken_Kid
Member since 2006 • 1770 Posts
well, the reviewers got wrong copys of the game tnaks to microsoft, so some if not alot of sites are gonning to change theri reviews very soon. you can read it on kevin's blog
DarthSnipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DarthSnipa
Ah, thanks for that. I just started on GameSpot Forums, got new e-mail and never used my old account. I'm a Forum vet from Xbox.com, however, with a CUL of 5... got wrongly perma-banned though. But those Forums were dying anyways... as you can see, I enjoy the use of proper grammar. So what do you mean be, "wrong copies"? I suppose I'll check Kevin's blog.
rustedMECH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 rustedMECH
Member since 2006 • 910 Posts

yea i've been hearing a lot of good news about this game.

I think i'm definitely going to get it now.

AlwaysHaveHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 AlwaysHaveHope
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts

Yea the reason the review wasn't as big was because they didn't get the retail version.

So there were longer loading times and other things wrong with it.

Vic_Vega1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Vic_Vega1994
Member since 2003 • 1397 Posts

I recently rented the latest JRPG game, Lost Odyssey, for the Xbox 360. Now, I've currently put about six and a half hours into this game, and I've also seen the ratings on the Internet. I'm here to ask - what gives? This game, which only got about a 7 or 8 as an average, deserves much better. GameSpot gives it a 7.5; I would give it a solid 9. The cutscenes in this game are the most amazing I have ever seen, and seeing as how I don't even have a high-def TV, that's saying something.

The gameplay: Sure, it's not the greatest, as some of the normal enemies seem to be able to do enough damage to almost kill you (on that part, seriously, what gives), but the turn-based fighting is something I haven't seen integrated in a long time, and Lost Odyssey presents it brilliantly. While the boss fights can get annoying, once you try 'em a few times, you form a strategy, and you manage to take it down. With all this and more, surely this is a reason to get a higher rating?

The graphics: As I stated earlier, simply stunning. Between the cutscenes and simply in-game visuals, these are some of the best graphics I've ever seen on the Xbox 360. Top notch, bar none, 'nuff said.

The storyline: Built on forgotten memories, backstabbing-traitors, wars, and lots of violence, the storyline in LO is extremely thrilling. As you go about and build you party up, you unlock more information about your storyline (which just happens to be so big, it takes up four discs, and, apparently, 35-40 hours of your time, depending on skill and thoroughness). Seeing as how I doubt I'll be able to beat this game before my 5-day rental period is up, I can only hope it's as good at the end of the game (or better) as it is at the beginning of the game.

The miscellaneous: First and foremost, I LOVE THIS GAME'S FREAKING MUSIC! From the slow-paced, tranquility of the travelling part of the game, to the up-beat, fast and exciting music of the combat, this game's music is reason alone to make you try this game. Lastly, the humour of the game, especially Jansen's lightens the mood considerably and makes the most serious of moments hilarious. I find myself actually laughing aloud at some parts, something a video game has seldom (if ever) caused for me.

DarthSnipa

I agree with you SIR

DarthSnipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarthSnipa
I'd probably pay to have access to all of Jansen's witty comments...
iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts

DarthSnipa

I fully agree I was just playing right now and I LOVE lost odyssey its a solid RPG. It reminds me of the good of FF days and best part is this is on my 360

DarthSnipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarthSnipa
Well then, let's just hope that the reviewers decide to change their minds about their rating!
karlmalone1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 karlmalone1289
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

So in the retail version there are much shorter loading times? one reason i was hesitant to get LO was because i heard these loadings were real long, like 30 seconds just to enter battle sequence and 60 secs to load new area...

zxvb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 zxvb
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts
yeah like 5 secs at most for a battle and 15 TOPS to load a new area.
Astropyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Astropyr
Member since 2006 • 120 Posts
No you are wrong , this game sucks!!! Ok , seriously it might be a good solid game but after playing Oblivion and Mass effect ,all japanese turn based Rpgs seem , i dont know..... kinda cheap and left behind. The Story may be great and all but the gameplay ..meh!! Its probably just me.
GatCloudX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GatCloudX
Member since 2008 • 1459 Posts
it takes like 5 seconds to load into a battle sequence and the game is pretty gppd but difficulty on boss battles needs to be turned down a bit
GatCloudX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GatCloudX
Member since 2008 • 1459 Posts
it takes like 5 seconds to load into a battle sequence and the game is pretty gppd but difficulty on boss battles needs to be turned down a bit
pezboy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pezboy7
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts

DarthSnipa

Werd!

jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts
It's funny how alot of reviewers say the turn based is old and played out, and how the fact that it is turned based affected it's score negativly. I think fps style of gameplay is old and played out. That doesn't mean COD4 ins't awesome. LO just perfects everything that has been done before. Like COD4, Halo3 , but they scored higher because they are action games. The guy that reviewed it was obviously in a hurry. They got the wrong copy to review in the first place. LO>awesome
DarthSnipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarthSnipa

Just to clarify, in Kevin's blog, it said that the retail copies change the load time anywhere from 15 to a whopping 60 seconds! 60 seconds! It's no wonder they decided to score it so low!

On a side note, some guy, penguindapimp, watched my contributions... but he hasn't posted in here. Anyone know him?

D3aDStaR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 D3aDStaR
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts
loading times should of not had anything to do with the review.. these guys reviewing the games .. dont know **** about rpg's