LCD or PLASMA ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

joepo1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 joepo1980
Member since 2004 • 104 Posts
JUST WONDERING WHICH ONE YOU GUYS PREFER FOR PLAYING THE 360?
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JDW_games
Member since 2006 • 1892 Posts
LCD screens will last much longer than a Plasma.
MEATSIM001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MEATSIM001
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts
LCD.
el-cid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 el-cid
Member since 2005 • 531 Posts

LCD screens will last much longer than a Plasma. JDW_games

thats bs, new plasma lasts 65000 hours and then about 50 procent of its lifetime is gone. My buddies have lcd I have a plasma and its huge difference it blackness

coldtrimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 coldtrimz
Member since 2005 • 301 Posts
it matters on the brand
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
1080 plasma screens cost a lot more than the LCD's. So if you want 1080. LCD is a lot cheaper.
nightwing930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 nightwing930
Member since 2006 • 104 Posts
i say LCD
kkbeach93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kkbeach93
Member since 2004 • 1089 Posts
LCD.MEATSIM001
dreamscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dreamscott
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

LCD!!!!!!!!

--Wolf--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 --Wolf--
Member since 2004 • 6786 Posts

LCD with gaming, to prevent any burn in.

Plasma for amazing colour/black and overall great picture (Panasonic at least)

strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts

I've been looking into buying a 42 inch Plasma or LCD for my 360 too.

Basically what I've come up with is

Plasmas refresh faster so alledgedly look better on fast moving games. The colors are also much deeper. Apparently it really becomes obvious when playing darker games. They also burn out faster.

LCD's are brighter. May have a sharper image depending on the brand. Last a long time and are generally cheaper than plasma TV's.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115434 Posts
why not get a HD TV
5th_element

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 5th_element
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts

why not get a HD TV2ndWonder

We are talking about HD TVs here !!!no point buying SD LCD( do they even come)and Plasma!!

skitzofraen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skitzofraen
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts
JUST WONDERING WHICH ONE YOU GUYS PREFER FOR PLAYING THE 360?joepo1980

I use a 720p LCD, but I prefer Plasma tv's......they have better blacks, and overall the picture quality is better on plasma....
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts

Get an LCD, the blacks are fine just make sure you get the highest contrast ratio you can find. I have a Samsung in my bedroom and it rocks.

The Plasma TVs have too many downsides, even with the newer ones its to easy to get burn in, they have limited life (gases wear out and the tv is no good), and if there is ever a problem involving the gases the tv can't be repaired, plus they are flat out more expensive.

obsolete2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 obsolete2k1
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts

WTH? Are tv's racist because they discriminate against blacks? (sorry had to, so many dumb racist threads about RE5 and Tom McClancy)

I just picked up a rear-projection, which I recommend because it fit in my budget and was a sony. As for plasma's there is still chance of burn in, especially depending upon the brand, if you want to game on a plasma then get one with the "white channel" option, like the 42" Samsung. If you want to avoid burn in altogether than get an LCD or rear-projection. Problem with the rear-projection is that you have to replace the lamp every 3-4 years, so that's another $200 expenditure.

do a ton of research on the forums, under the general hardware forum and online in general. pick a couple of tvs that interest and google the crap out of them. Amazon.com and Cnet are good for reviews, especially the ones that give a tv 1 out of 5 stars b/c the postal service took too long to ship. idiots.

RaC3rFr3Ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RaC3rFr3Ak
Member since 2006 • 874 Posts

If you want plasma, go panasonic. If you want LCD, get samsung. Thats your shopping guide lines. If you want pictures that doesn't lag that much on fast paced gaming and shows (sports/racing) then get a plasma. If you don't want burn inand you want a better overal picture that may lag abit, get LCD.

truelove79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 truelove79
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

The Plasma TVs have too many downsides, even with the newer ones its to easy to get burn in, they have limited life (gases wear out and the tv is no good), and if there is ever a problem involving the gases the tv can't be repaired...

tkemory

wrong!! Permanent burn-in is a thing of the past with high quality plasma (panasonic, pioneer), plasmas have upwards of 60,000 hours of half life (after 60,000 hours, it will be half as bright as when you bought it, just like a CRT), that's 8 hours a day for 20 years!! Do your research before reciting commonly believed plasma myths.

I game on a panasonic plasma and I love it. You can't beat a plasma for color and picture quality.

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#19 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
plasma is a better picture, but it will burn in the second you have a HUD on screen. so go with LCD
Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#20 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts

wrong!! Permanent burn-in is a thing of the past with high quality plasma (panasonic, pioneer), plasmas have upwards of 60,000 hours of half life (after 60,000 hours, it will be half as bright as when you bought it, just like a CRT), that's 8 hours a day for 20 years!! Do your research before reciting commonly believed plasma myths.

I game on a panasonic plasma and I love it. You can't beat a plasma for color and picture quality.

truelove79

yeeeeeeeah, no. I got a new Samsung 42" plasma last year (if anyone debates samsung's quality, HA) and it burns in everytime theres a hud on the screen. It will fade afterwhile, but its only a matter of time something gets really screwed up.

Koralan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Koralan
Member since 2004 • 154 Posts

get a sony bravia, its an lcd with the color palette of most plasmas with amazing color, i bought the xbr2 version last week and am loving it so far

hulkster_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hulkster_basic
Member since 2002 • 571 Posts

actually....im going to play the devils advocate here.

this has always been a big debate...lcd vs. plasma vs. projection. pros/cons, etc. there are pros and cons to every type. ive read a crap load of articles and basically what it comes down to is that everyone has their own opinion on what is the "best" to get for movies or gaming or whatever. what ive read so far is that

lcd = crisp, bright, vivid picture. lasts a long time. but they can be expensive

plasma = picture isnt as crisp (although thats debatable), but its very vibrant and has great picture as well. theres the whole burn-in issue which some say is a non issue, others say it still happens so i think it can still happen even with good sets, but the majority dont have problems...just like with any product

rear projection = good picture, cheaper. cant mount on wall, its bigger. black levels are better supposedly.

really what i think personally is it comes down to whatever you can afford. if you walk into the store with $1500...go with what looks best to you and what features suit your needs best. if you want to save money and arent a videophile, go with a rear projection tv, unless you can find a plasma or lcd at a great bargain. if money is no object, id say go with an lcd. but thats just my opinion. do your research and get some good reviews on the tv that you have your eyes on, and make sure its a good price, and just get it.

hjart6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 hjart6
Member since 2004 • 627 Posts
i use my lcd somputer screen for now. plasmas arent as good as lcd screen either.
DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
LCD.
assaslin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 assaslin
Member since 2004 • 34 Posts
Wow, this post has made me even more confused than before.
hulkster_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hulkster_basic
Member since 2002 • 571 Posts

Wow, this post has made me even more confused than before. assaslin

just google it, and youll see what im talking about. no one can really tell you one or the other. just get a good deal and be happy that you have a big screen tv.

eXists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 eXists
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
i hv a 42" PLASMA and loving it, had it for ~4yrs now.