Is the 360 reliable/well-built?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thinner6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thinner6
Member since 2006 • 762 Posts

Can anybody tell me if the 360 is a solid system? I mean, my brother has a PS3 and the thing is a tank. It feels sturdy and heavy, like a solid piece of technology (not to start a flame war here). Is the Xbox similarily sturdy feeling?

Also, I hear the fans are ridiculously loud. Are they worse than the PS3? (bias aside)

Plus I only plan to play for about an hour or so at a time, so I would hope I don't have to listen to excessively loud fans or worry about the system overheating and frying itself. I would think one hour of playtime won't make the system work all that hard?

Thanks again, this has been a tough decision for me (to get a 360 or not).

shawnyboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 shawnyboy12
Member since 2006 • 280 Posts

Well, I cant complain about the fans, I dont really notice them. The only thing Id be weary about is their terrible failiure rate. I personallly prefer Xbox; the only thing that would persuade me to get a PS3 is system reliability. But then again most new consoles don't have as many problems as the old ones most people have.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

Its a great system for games and stuff, but in all honesty, hardware wize its a pile of junk. This is the most unreliable and poorly built console ive ever owned. When you pick it up the plastic creeks as if its not fitted together properly. The fan is much louder than a ps3. Ive had mine break twice of RROD, and once of a problem with the thing that measures the heat of the console, it kept saying it was overheating then the fans would run extremly loud and then it would shut down, but it happend right when i turned it on and it wasnt even a bit warm lol. I also had it break once after not even using it for a week, then I turned it on and RROD when before it was perfectly fine. ALso yes I do take very good care of my 360, Its in a open area, off the ground, and nothing should of gone wrong but MS really cheaped out on the 360.

alber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 alber
Member since 2003 • 1068 Posts
I didnt have any problem so far and i dont hear the fans. its a good system imo
guitardude1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 guitardude1243
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts

The older models had some hardware issues such as the dreaded "red ring of death" fiasco, but the newer "JASPER" or w/e they code-named the thingys apparently work much better (though not much time has passed to see). As for fan noise I never notice mine and apparently the Elites are even quieter, which must mean they are super quiet then, lol.

rx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rx3
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

The newer ones are much better than the first models ive sent two away to get fixed same as one of my mates but then on the other hand ive got mates that have had them since new without problems

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

I've gone through 2 consoles in the past 3 years due to red rings, but they replace them for free.

gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
great system imo, still theres always the rrod problem, which i havent experienced so far. u always have 3 years to replace it so...
Duke_51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Duke_51
Member since 2008 • 806 Posts

Well, in terms of hardware I'd have to say it's a poorly built POS. I feel like it would crack if I dropped it onto a sponge. Not like the PS2 and original XBox, you could drop kick those things and they might even work better than before, this thing is very fragile though.

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts

I think it feels pretty sturdy. Someone mentions their Xbox creeks and make noises when it's picked up. I don't know what he/she is talking about- mine feels fine. If you install games to the hard drive it will reduce the noise of the system a lot, and increase the life span of the system as well. Other pros include faster loading times and less glitches.

im_a_cHeATER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 im_a_cHeATER
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts
ya, i think it is.
inuyasha2338

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 inuyasha2338
Member since 2003 • 929 Posts

The older ones had der problems but dey much better now

Kill_ZONE2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Kill_ZONE2
Member since 2006 • 863 Posts
The xbox360 is a poorly built machine. But you do get what you pay for. The thing creeks whenever i pick it up, RROD on me already, loud fan if you play for an hour or so more, and no wifi Because you aren't going to be playing much you might as well stick with the 360. It's affordable, fun with friends, people online can actually talk (although i would prefer to shut everyone up, f*** annoying ass kids), and the newer models are a pretty safe investment. No more RROD (or so i've heard) Besides if your bro already has a PS3, just get a 360 for the heck of it. Although you won't find too much difference. If you want more variety get a Wii. Trust me i have it and i must say.... with friends over i prefer the Wii over the PS3 and the Xbox360 anyday