Is Mass Effect as good as OBLIVION????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrYates808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 MrYates808
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts
Played Oblivion for months and loved and thinking of buying Mass Effect. If anyone has played both comparision would be nice to hear and in your opinions which was BETTER. Is Mass worth Picking up????
teletran0n3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 teletran0n3
Member since 2008 • 311 Posts

Played Oblivion for months and loved and thinking of buying Mass Effect. If anyone has played both comparision would be nice to hear and in your opinions which was BETTER. Is Mass worth Picking up????MrYates808

Well......IS IT????

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

Well.. Oblivion is LONGER... much longer. Infact (like 200+hrs)

Mass effect is about 30+ hours (a little more if you intend to find everything)

But trying to compare the two games is just................ wrong. They are so different.

As to the question of whether Mass Effect is worth getting....... OF COURSE IT IS.... IT'S GREAT!!!

celtic1962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 125

#4 celtic1962
Member since 2004 • 13200 Posts
No question that you should get Mass Effect, especially if you enjoyed Oblivion. ME is definitely not as long as Oblivion but is still an excellant action-RPG that I highly recommend.
MrYates808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrYates808

But trying to compare the two games is just................ wrong. They are so different.

As to the question of whether Mass Effect is worth getting....... OF COURSE IT IS.... IT'S GREAT!!!

FamiBox
Is Mass free roaming like Oblivion? Is the storyline pretty deep? I kinda like the ida of having a shorter RPG, Oblivion wore me out!
teletran0n3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 teletran0n3
Member since 2008 • 311 Posts

MrYates808
Is Mass free roaming like Oblivion? Is the storyline pretty deep? I kinda like the ida of having a shorter RPG, Oblivion wore me out!

Oblivion was awesome. I don't see how you could get wore out on that. I can understand the ida of a shorter one though.

callen3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 callen3
Member since 2005 • 1289 Posts
no, its not. you can customize your character a lot more in oblivion and,as a result, feel a part of the world. But in mass effect, you are on a linear quest to save the galaxy as Shepard. Don't get me wrong, ME is lots of fun and has a decent story. But, there is no way that it is a better game than oblivion. Even graphically, they are about on par, except for the character textures in ME, those are way better.
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts
[QUOTE="FamiBox"]

MrYates808

Mass Effect is free roaming... to an extent... but no where near as open ended/jam packed with things to do/learn as Oblivion.

The story line is very deep and interesting.

When I finished Mass Effect the feeling was great.. like, I really felt like I had saved the galaxy. It was EPIC.

Finishing Oblivion was like... yawn.. at last... glad that's over...

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
Is Mass free roaming like Oblivion? Is the storyline pretty deep? I kinda like the ida of having a shorter RPG, Oblivion wore me out!MrYates808
ME is free roaming in that you can freely travel between worlds as you wish. However, once you're there and traveling on foot it's pretty linear. The storyline is awesome. One of the best plots and some of the best characters in a video game so far. My opinion of course.
MrYates808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrYates808
sounds like it might be worth it picking up!!!thanks
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
[QUOTE="MrYates808"]Is Mass free roaming like Oblivion? Is the storyline pretty deep? I kinda like the ida of having a shorter RPG, Oblivion wore me out!Bane_v2
ME is free roaming in that you can freely travel between worlds as you wish. However, once you're there and traveling on foot it's pretty linear. The storyline is awesome. One of the best plots and some of the best characters in a video game so far. My opinion of course.

The thing that I liked about ME is that it wasn't so overwhelmingly big. You can play through it a couple of times and have different experiences and you don't feel like you're missing out on 50% of the content.
omgc89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 omgc89
Member since 2003 • 600 Posts
mass effect>oblivion
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts

Mass Effect is amazing. I've never played an RPG where I've felt so compelled to complete every side quest. It's got a great story, great character models, and you can be a complete a-hole.

Oblivion was a complete and utter snoozefest. I paid 60 bucks for it when it first came out for PS3 and I tried getting into it 4 seperate times. Each time I got about 5 or 6 hours in and it literally bored me so much that my stomach turned.

jrobinow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jrobinow
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts
They are totally different games. Oblivion is a real RPG, Mass Effect is kind of a dumbed down in that regard. Mass Effect claim to have an open universe, but unless you are playing through the main storyline there isn't really much to do and the sidequests only serve to increase XP. If you're looking for something like Oblivion, I think Mass Effect may disappoint although it is a great game in its own right.
Grunt_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grunt_Lord
Member since 2004 • 951 Posts

I like the Mass Effects story, gameplay and sci-fi setting more than Oblivions respective aspects.

However Oblivion is much more openended and takes a lot longer to complete.

Basically i'd say that if you like sci-fi, good storyline and cover based gameplay then mass effect is a must have.

Aleperez75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16 Aleperez75
Member since 2005 • 494 Posts
Nope, I enjoied Mass Effect but Oblivio gives you way more liberty and a lot of places to visit and investigate.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#17 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
Mass Effect imo was way, way better then Oblivion. Every RPG fan should at least try ME.
amozarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18 amozarte
Member since 2008 • 1536 Posts

Mass Effect vs. Oblivion = Apples vs. Oranges

That being said, someone who likes one is likely to enjoy the other. I absolutely loved Mass Effect and consider it one of the best games for the 360 to date.

At the absolute very very least you should rent it.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I actually liked it better. It might not be techically as impressive or as much gameplay involved, but I liked the story and enviroment better. Don't get me wrong, oblivion is obviously a fantastic game but Mass Effect is a great sci-fi based RPG. If you liked KOTOR, you should definitely check it out.
Firex777x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Firex777x
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts
Oblivion is an amazing game, however Mass Effect is equally amazing. Mass Effect may not be quite as long as Oblivion but it's amazing all the same. It has a really good story-line in depth gameplay and you could play through it 5 times and have different endings and encounters. If you are just a fan of a good story and a great rpg Mass Effect is well worth picking up.
Metalnoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Metalnoid
Member since 2006 • 1314 Posts
Nope. Is just impossible