Is it worth it to get the HD DVD player??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

joylover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 joylover
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts
^
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts

Do not post two topics about the same thing :? Anyway, it's worth it if you REALLY want to see movies in hi def, and you have an HDTV (Obviously)

someguy182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 someguy182
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I haven't seen this topic before...

And to answer the topic...I don't know. Don't have it.

thadragon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 thadragon23
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts
I got one the day it came out and love it and use it all the time Hi-def is awesome so it is worth it especially you get like 5 free movies now i didn't get that deal and it's still worth it
dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 dj_pulserfan
Member since 2007 • 3102 Posts

In my opinion (which is why I didn't buy a ps3) is to not invest in it until this war is over.

With the way it's going now with both formats losing & gaining support, this war could go either way without a clear victor in the end. Just wait, trust me.

cgoliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cgoliver
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts

I got one the day it came out and love it and use it all the time Hi-def is awesome so it is worth it especially you get like 5 free movies now i didn't get that deal and it's still worth itthadragon23

Yeah, but the "5 Free Movies!" is a little misleading. There are only a select number that you canchoose from and you can't select just any five. They're grouped into five separate groups from which you can only select one. There are only about three movies that I would actually want, and even then, I wouldn't be too fired up about them. I'll just wait to get a stand-alone player. By the time they're actually affordable, there should be some semblance of a "winner".

MagicBlueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 MagicBlueNinja
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Do not buy the hd dvd player entill we find out if the blue ray technology or the hd technology is gonna stick arround one of them will emerge as the new format for movies and the other will quickly become quickly become useless there for if blue ray losses the race and everyone buys blue ray players for expencive prices then they have just compleetly wasted there money so wait till we find out which one is gonna stick arround.
Rec-neps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rec-neps
Member since 2006 • 505 Posts
Im not totally sure, but I believe you can buy a player that plays both HDdvd and blueray disc. Worth looking into.
TM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TM1
Member since 2004 • 7249 Posts
I have it and i think it's worth it, they say this war will run for awhile and i don't have patience so i just bought one. I'm stoked for Transformers next week, definitely getting the HD-DVD.
guppieface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 guppieface
Member since 2004 • 1085 Posts
ive got both hddvd and blu ray. there are way more hd movies in the blu ray format. hd dvd is almost useless.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
ive got both hddvd and blu ray. there are way more hd movies in the blu ray format. hd dvd is almost useless.guppieface
Thats true, BDs content does indeed outnumber HDDVD content by a fairly large amount. HDDVD is also pretty rare to see outside of the US, Ive never seen a HDDVD ad, yet tonight alone Ive seen 3 for BD and 2 for PSP UMD, yeah... its that bad.
mikemd4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mikemd4eva
Member since 2007 • 564 Posts
Well if you have a good HDTV the HD-DVD movies look excellent !! I have both a Blu-Ray player and the HDDVD add on for my 360 and while they both look great i think Blu-Ray is better for me at least because there is alot more movies i like available. So id say if you want HD movies but dont wanna spend the money for a Blu-Ray player right now then yes its worth it.Who knows who will win or if both will survive but at this point if only one survives i think it will be Blu-Ray because of the support it has unless something changes and i kind of doubt it will anytime soon.
joylover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 joylover
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts
I'll probely get it then by all the positive feed bck, but It doesnt affect your console at all cause I read somewhere that his xbox started up slower with the hd add on. Also r u saying that there can only b one hi def dvd fomat in the future and one of themm will not b available anymore? That would suck if it happened to hd dvd!
james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
Don't buy it. Blu-Ray has mre movies coming out for it. Better movies too.
nybritboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nybritboy
Member since 2005 • 774 Posts
Im buying one for Heroes, BSG and Transformers movie, none of which will be on blueray.
JOHN117_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JOHN117_basic
Member since 2002 • 3418 Posts
Don't buy it. Blu-Ray has mre movies coming out for it. Better movies too.james28893
Blu ray has a few more movies dont act like its by a landslide its not. Also the latest sales reports indicate there were more hd dvd players sold in this quarter then blu ray. hd dvd is way way cheaper for companies to produce and also has a better set of features and better video encoding. And actually in my opinion hd dvd has the better movies by far. But then again im not a big pirates of the carribean spiderman movie fan. At least know the facts before you make statements.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

[QUOTE="guppieface"]ive got both hddvd and blu ray. there are way more hd movies in the blu ray format. hd dvd is almost useless.teebeenz
Thats true, BDs content does indeed outnumber HDDVD content by a fairly large amount. HDDVD is also pretty rare to see outside of the US, Ive never seen a HDDVD ad, yet tonight alone Ive seen 3 for BD and 2 for PSP UMD, yeah... its that bad.

Wow, you guys couldn't be more wrong. The numbers of titles released in the US are almost identical (I think within 30 of each other) and I personally prefer the movies available on HDDVD (but that is merely apreference). You can GET far more movies on HDDVD though because they are region free. This means you can import from other countries. The kicker here is that distribution rights in other countries are different than they are here and thus you can pick up many BluRay "exclusives" on HD-DVD (Bridge to Terabithia is Disney, Terminator 2 is Fox, etc and all can be gotten imported despite their so called exclusive status).

I love my player and have ahard time watchingSD movies. THe question on whether it's worth it to you depends on how much you think you'll use it and whether you would rather get a standalone. The standalones don't cost all that much more ($220 for an A2), but havea high quality upconverter and better sound options if your system is capable of better codecs. Are you willing to pay a little more for your movies? Do you have access to a rental service like Netflix that rents HD?Are you a movie buff? Do you have a good HDTV? If you answer yes to most of those questions then I think you will lovethe add on.

I'll probely get it then by all the positive feed bck, but It doesnt affect your console at all cause I read somewhere that his xbox started up slower with the hd add on. Also r u saying that there can only b one hi def dvd fomat in the future and one of themm will not b available anymore? That would suck if it happened to hd dvd!joylover

It does add about 5 seconds or so to theopening Xbox logo when you turn on your system.Not really a big deal if you ask me.

The belief is that there will only be one high-def format in the future, but estimates are that that is at least 18months away, if ever. I personally believe neither will attain mainstream adoption and they will simply be bypassed by something else (most likely digitial distribution). In the meantime (eg: next 2-3 years at least) they will both make excellent formats though.

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 james28893
Sorry. I live in the UK. The number of Blu-Ray's at HMV nearly doubles the number of HD-DVD and they don't stock HD-DVDs at my local Blockbuster. Oh and the PS3 is region-free.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nosferatu
The PS3 is not region free. You cannot play BluRaysreleasedout of your region. That is part of the reason Fox is BluRay exclusive, because they don't want consumers to be able to do that so that they can stagger disc and theater release dates worldwide. Stop throwing misinformation into this thread.
james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 james28893
Weird I can play American movies.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 teebeenz
While its not region free, not all disks are coded with a region.
norwinknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 norwinknight
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
no becasue the hd dvds cost so much after tyhe dvd player cost alot thats just waht i think
Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Blk-Gnome
Member since 2006 • 1247 Posts

no, not its not.

the player has been shown to not play all HD-DVD movies

if your desprate and need a cheap entry into the HD movies, i might consider it...but your better off with standalone players.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Yes the hd-dvd player is worth it.

the movie library is just as big as blu ray ( dont listen to the above posters, they are lying to you. )

plenty of hd-dvd exclusives, just like there are plenty of blu ray exclusives ( thats why i have both )

most studios are making BOTH blu ray and hd-dvd versions...so its really very even.

this format war is going to go on for a long time, it it likely just going to end up becoming a permanent 2 format system...neither one will win...they will just co-exist.

So pick up your cheap hd-dvd player add-on, get some cool movies and enjoy.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nosferatu

no, not its not.

the player has been shown to not play all HD-DVD movies

if your desprate and need a cheap entry into the HD movies, i might consider it...but your better off with standalone players.

Blk-Gnome

While I agree that it would be better to get a standalone player, some of the features of a standalone aren't worth it to some people. I have yet to have a problem with the 360 add-on and a movie (despite my extensive renting and owning of HDDVDs), but I do concede that people do have problems with it. Usually these problems are fixed fairly quickly with a firmware update though, so the wariness is somewhat unfounded.

Oh, and if you want to watch Transformers in HD on Tuesday, HDDVD is the only place you'll get it ;)

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 james28893

Yes the hd-dvd player is worth it.

the movie library is just as big as blu ray ( dont listen to the above posters, they are lying to you. )

plenty of hd-dvd exclusives, just like there are plenty of blu ray exclusives ( thats why i have both )

most studios are making BOTH blu ray and hd-dvd versions...so its really very even.

this format war is going to go on for a long time, it it likely just going to end up becoming a permanent 2 format system...neither one will win...they will just co-exist.

So pick up your cheap hd-dvd player add-on, get some cool movies and enjoy.

Videodogg

I'm not lying. So far in the UK there are more Blu-Ray movies.

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 teebeenz
So far in the UK there are more Blu-Ray movies.james28893
BD does indeed have a much larger library, but thats becuase there is many more companies producing content.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nosferatu

[QUOTE="james28893"]So far in the UK there are more Blu-Ray movies.teebeenz
BD does indeed have a much larger library, but thats becuase there is many more companies producing content.

No, that's not true at all.Get some actual information instead of just spewingwhat you hear.Here are the statistics for you:

BluRay: 351 titles 34 studios 128 upcoming titles announced

HD-DVD: 345 titles 37 studios 124 upcoming titles announced

Yeah, huge discrepancies there huh?