is fallout 3 really bigger and longer than oblivion and better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LittleToejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LittleToejam
Member since 2008 • 510 Posts
i never played any game but im thinking about getting falout 3 at christmas with cod 5 or gears of war 2, but if its not better than oblivion then i will not get it, because i dont want oblivion cuz its kinda too...old? not by olden ages, but its like one of the first games and i want the newer ones but if this one is not better than oblivion and longer, and bigger i wont even bother and ill just get geears 2 and cod 5
Motza22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Motza22
Member since 2008 • 670 Posts

It's about the same size, but Oblivion seemed to have more random nooks and crannys to find. Fallout 3 just has a bunch of subway systems that all look the same.

IMO Oblivion was better.

2uneek4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 2uneek4u
Member since 2006 • 2548 Posts

It's about the same size, but Oblivion seemed to have more random nooks and crannys to find. Fallout 3 just has a bunch of subway systems that all look the same.

IMO Oblivion was better.

Motza22
oblivion has a bunch of caves that all look the same too!
blujetz1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 blujetz1234
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts

fallout 3 is shorter and smaller

but definately way BETTER

stickbob911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 stickbob911
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Fallout is smaller but superior.
laser-pointer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 laser-pointer
Member since 2008 • 584 Posts
Fallout 3 isn't as big or long as oblivion, and I don't think any game is. But it is better and more fun imo.
Avatar image for a_beautiful_lie
a_beautiful_lie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 a_beautiful_lie
Member since 2003 • 507 Posts

The prior three Elder Scrolls games were bigger than oblivion. I feel that relative to its time Morrowind was much better than Oblivion.

That being said Oblivion was an amazing game, and Fallout 3 is an amazing game. Fallout 3 is shorter, but more intense. Oblivion was slower, but much larger and just had that feel of being in another world.

tnargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tnargus
Member since 2008 • 475 Posts
Being a big fan of both games, i've thought quite a bit about the merits of them both. As mentioned earlier by others, Fallout is of smaller scope with more attention to detail. Oblivion is massive. And I mean massive. I'd put area to be covered around 2.5 times the size of Fallout 3. For me there are 2 big reasons Oblivion is superior. Firstly, there are a TON of quests. There is the main questline, then questlines for Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Fighter's Guild, Mages Guild and Arena. Then, there are a heap of varying side quests. Fallout really can not compete with this at all. Secondly, the quality and depth of the storylines in each of the questlines in Oblivion is amazing. Plenty of backstory, twists, excitement and more. Fallout, whilst entertaining, didn't surprise me once. It was a little too straightforward. So sure, Fallout looks somewhat better with updated graphics etc, but overall Oblivion is a much superior game. However, the really good news is that it's now only about $25 AUD. So you can buy both. Which i recommend :)
EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 EmperorZeruel
Member since 2007 • 4207 Posts
falout 3 is alot smaller and shorter then oblivion however i like fallout 3 more
xH0LLATiiP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xH0LLATiiP
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

falout 3 is alot smaller and shorter then oblivion however i like fallout 3 moreEmperorZeruel

I couldnt have said it better :)

sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts
i never played any game but im thinking about getting falout 3 at christmas with cod 5 or gears of war 2, but if its not better than oblivion then i will not get it, because i dont want oblivion cuz its kinda too...old? not by olden ages, but its like one of the first games and i want the newer ones but if this one is not better than oblivion and longer, and bigger i wont even bother and ill just get geears 2 and cod 5LittleToejam
fallout 3 is more depressing storyline, much much darker in term of mood... it will depress the crap out of u if u play it too long
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
Fallout 3 is not as big as Oblivion and it doesn't have as many things to do. I thought Oblivion was the far superior game, I played it a lot more. After getting 1000/1000 on Fallout 3 I don't even feel like making a new character....maybe once the DLC comes out next year.
LittleToejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LittleToejam
Member since 2008 • 510 Posts

hmm. but i was watching a video on youtube about the preview look on fallout 3 when it didnt come out yet, and the reviewers said that fallout 3 is 10x bigger than oblivion world and much to explore. it looks like now, that these game makers think there so good, they would just lie to make you buy there games and they trick u and dont care about adding dlc or something. i havent beat fable 2 right now but, i notice alot of things in it that whatever his name peter lied about. he said that if u spare villagers in a little camp, they will grow bigger, eventually into a bigger town too. if u see alot of videos of his interviews he lied sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. he prolly had more lies than how much O's i put in so. but now it looks like that game makers dont really wanna try in making there games cuz they think they will be lazy and will sell dlc so they get more money. so with this dlc trap u dont get the full game, instead if u want better u HAVE to buy there dlc. i mean, i know thers new dlc in fable 2 that there will be a new snow town. uhh why couldnt they add this already in the game before it came out? now we have to spend 10 bucks because they didnt put it in the game but they think we will fall into there trap and get the dlc.

oh sorry i dont think i blabbered that much about game before

sLiPz1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sLiPz1984
Member since 2003 • 227 Posts
The previews I saw always said Fallout 3 was about 2/3 the size of oblivion but more detailed. And there's more than just subway stations to explore in Fallout. The wasteland is a blast just to walk around. There's abandoned houses, buildings, factories and not to mention other vaults. Anyone who says Fallout 3 has less diverse locations to explore ought to try playing through Fallout 3 again and this time actually pay attention to their surroundings.
m3ss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 m3ss
Member since 2004 • 1163 Posts
I haven't played Oblivion yet, but from what I've seen it is definitely much larger and longer than Fallout 3. As far as which one is superior, that's entirely opinion based.
dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dirtydishko2
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts
[QUOTE="a_beautiful_lie"]

The prior three Elder Scrolls games were bigger than oblivion. I feel that relative to its time Morrowind was much better than Oblivion.

That being said Oblivion was an amazing game, and Fallout 3 is an amazing game. Fallout 3 is shorter, but more intense. Oblivion was slower, but much larger and just had that feel of being in another world.

You hit the nail on the head. Oblivion did have an overall feel of being in an entirely different world. I don't feel like Fallout quite sucked me in as much. I know many times in Oblivion I would stop just to look around and take in the scenery (as lame as that sounds when talking about a video game), and I've never really done that in Fallout.
Mwright68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mwright68
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts
[QUOTE="a_beautiful_lie"]

dirtydishko2

You hit the nail on the head. Oblivion did have an overall feel of being in an entirely different world. I don't feel like Fallout quite sucked me in as much. I know many times in Oblivion I would stop just to look around and take in the scenery (as lame as that sounds when talking about a video game), and I've never really done that in Fallout.

its washington dc(real world) and its a nuclear wasteland what do you want in terms of scenery?....oblivion is bigger and longer but they are equally great games

Motza22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Motza22
Member since 2008 • 670 Posts
[QUOTE="dirtydishko2"][QUOTE="a_beautiful_lie"]

Mwright68

its washington dc(real world) and its a nuclear wasteland what do you want in terms of scenery?....oblivion is bigger and longer but they are equally great games

Just because it takes place in a nuclear wasteland excuse the fact that the scenery in Fallout 3 is terrible. I mean who wants to look at a dusty ghost town for hours at a time?

In Oblivion, I remember walking around saying "wow" and just looking around several times, just because of the beauty of everything. In Fallout 3, I mostly just look straight in the direction I'm walking without caring about the environment around me. I usually use my radar thing to find enemies/places rather than actually looking for them like I used to do in Oblivion.

Let's face it, the wasteland just looks disgusting and it's actually one of the reasons I stopped playing.

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

hmm. but i was watching a video on youtube about the preview look on fallout 3 when it didnt come out yet, and the reviewers said that fallout 3 is 10x bigger than oblivion world and much to explore. it looks like now, that these game makers think there so good, they would just lie to make you buy there games and they trick u and dont care about adding dlc or something. i havent beat fable 2 right now but, i notice alot of things in it that whatever his name peter lied about. he said that if u spare villagers in a little camp, they will grow bigger, eventually into a bigger town too. if u see alot of videos of his interviews he lied sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. he prolly had more lies than how much O's i put in so. but now it looks like that game makers dont really wanna try in making there games cuz they think they will be lazy and will sell dlc so they get more money. so with this dlc trap u dont get the full game, instead if u want better u HAVE to buy there dlc. i mean, i know thers new dlc in fable 2 that there will be a new snow town. uhh why couldnt they add this already in the game before it came out? now we have to spend 10 bucks because they didnt put it in the game but they think we will fall into there trap and get the dlc.

oh sorry i dont think i blabbered that much about game before

LittleToejam

I don't think Bethesda said anything like that...maybe a review lied, but Bethesda never made any false promises.

Fable 2 however...well Peter Molyneaux is known for promising the world and falling short. Don't compare Peter and Bethesda.

About the thread though...
Bigger - No
Longer - No
Better - Yes

I can definitely understand why people think Oblivion is better, because in some ways it definitely is. But to me personally, the shooting appealed to me a lot more than Magic/Combat did. So basically, no matter what choice you make it's a good one, just pick the game that better suits your combat preference.

Avatar image for Un4givingAsault
Un4givingAsault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Un4givingAsault
Member since 2008 • 1053 Posts
Fallout 3 is awesome, my problem with it is the story just didnt feel epic like elderscrolls, and the Fallout series doesn't seem to have the same lore that backs the expanse of an ES game. And I know the game isn't supposed to be pretty, but it should, where GOW graps the beauty within destruction fallout doesn't. The only time i was impressed was during the Oasis quest. When i played oblivion there were parts where i would be on the edge of a cliff and look out and belike this is awesome. Fallout was awesome, just not comparable to ES. It just seem ES series has more potential.

P.S. - Getting around the DC ruins through tunnels to find places was stupid and annoying cause the makers you would set would lead you in the opposite direction, just a hassle to get anywhere. And i couldn't explore the Bathesda ruins because as soon as i got near it began to lag heavy

Bigger - little bit smaller
Longer - Hell no
Better - Depends which series you are more drawn to, but no
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Similar (though less varied) terrain, and fewer quests. However, it seems that the fewer quests last longer, and have a wider variety of potential outcomes. I honestly prefer Oblivion's quest structure slightly more, though VATS targeting is an excellent edition to an already solid foundation.

m3ss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 m3ss
Member since 2004 • 1163 Posts
[QUOTE="Mwright68"][QUOTE="dirtydishko2"] You hit the nail on the head. Oblivion did have an overall feel of being in an entirely different world. I don't feel like Fallout quite sucked me in as much. I know many times in Oblivion I would stop just to look around and take in the scenery (as lame as that sounds when talking about a video game), and I've never really done that in Fallout.Motza22

Just because it takes place in a nuclear wasteland excuse the fact that the scenery in Fallout 3 is terrible. I mean who wants to look at a dusty ghost town for hours at a time?

In Oblivion, I remember walking around saying "wow" and just looking around several times, just because of the beauty of everything. In Fallout 3, I mostly just look straight in the direction I'm walking without caring about the environment around me. I usually use my radar thing to find enemies/places rather than actually looking for them like I used to do in Oblivion.

Let's face it, the wasteland just looks disgusting and it's actually one of the reasons I stopped playing.

Wow are you serious? How about this...just because it takes place in a nuclear wasteland doesn't mean the scenery should be considered terrible. Just because you are disturbed by the look of the wasteland doesn't mean other people are. The game looked great in my opinion. (keyword there: opinion) And personally, I was more impressed with the Fallout 3 environments because it's something that I can't see in real life and can only imagine in my mind's eye. If I want to walk around and say "wow" while looking at some trees and green grass, I can just go take a hike. That's not to say that Oblivion is a bad game or the environments don't look good, but comparing it to Fallout 3's environments and scenery is comparing apples and oranges. They just aren't the same thing at all.