Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I bought the 1TB Forza XB1 a couple days ago and I've got four games installed so far. Halo:MCC, Tomb Raider Def Edit, Valiant Hearts and Forza 6. I now have only 649GB of space left after installing just four games. Keep in mind, my XB1 came with 780GB of available space out of the box. So, with game install sizes being so large, would have it been better for us if Microsoft went with a standard 2TB HDD instead of just 1TB? The price difference between 1TB and 2TB HDD is so minimal. It would have more impact on serving customers than their bottom line.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No, it's really not

Once you start a rotation of games and clips it's not enough.

There are some games you'll play and delete but there's other games (sports games, multiplayer shooters) that you'll want to keep in always because you'll always be looking to play a game here or there.

Games like Forza and Halo are games that you'll play all the time, even between playing other games. As time goes on there's going to be a lot of those games released so having the room for them is pretty important.

I know that you can do the external but ehhh, it's not as clean as I'd like the who unit to be.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#3 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6107 Posts

I have the 500GB Xbox One and for me it's enough space,simply because I recycle games.For instance I have Call of Duty:Advanced Warfare,when Black Ops III comes out I delete CoD:AW and download Black Ops III.Same for all my games.If I get NHL 16,when NHL 17 comes out I delete NHL 16,and so on....... But don't let me sway your way of doing things on your Xbox One,it's just the way I handle my GB space.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I immediately put an internal 2TB HDD in my PS4 and I would have done the same for my Xbone if it had been designed for internal HDD swapping. You can forcibly do it, but it voids the warranty.

To answer, 1TB was never enough space for this Blu-Ray gen...but I knew that way back in 2010 before the new machines released.

You may have to consider hooking up an external HDD, it's not a pretty solution, but it's an option (one that I avoid due to aesthetics).

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

It's enough if you own physical copy of the games but for digital games is not enough.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Simply delete the games you're not playing, and re-install/download them when you want to play them again. Problem solved.

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Transk53
Member since 2015 • 564 Posts

The OP is right. Should be a bigger capacity as standard. Taking into account that the advertised capacity is never the true capacity. 220 away from a 1TB drive is pretty poor really.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

No it is not the should have used a 4 tb at least

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46596 Posts

So on average:

How many games fit a 500GB drive ?

How many games fit a 1TB drive ?

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#10 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

It's not enough, I have to keep choosing which games to keep, and which to let go, but my friends most have different games so I have to delete and install different games depending who I am playing with.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

No, it isn't. Not with lots of games being 50 gigs. I just got a 500gb PS4 and that's gonna fill up in no time. I found out just a few days ago that PS4 doesn't support external drives like X1 does and that's a bummer. Guess it's gotta be internal with PS4 which is more of a pain and after looking around a bit it seems the biggest that can be put in there is 2tb (OK, I have found workarounds for external drives and more than 2tb but these are things ya really aren't suppose to do with it and therefor have the possibility of problems arising), which also isn't big enough. Some people may say 2tb is plenty but I'm looking at this long term. I know I'd fill up 2tb eventually unless I delete games which I don't want to do. What I also don't like about having to upgrade internally is that I lose the 500gb it came with in the process. X1's method is less sexy but at least with it I can easily hook up a 4tb drive and also have whatever internal storage it came with at the same time.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@Kjranu said:

I bought the 1TB Forza XB1 a couple days ago and I've got four games installed so far. Halo:MCC, Tomb Raider Def Edit, Valiant Hearts and Forza 6. I now have only 649GB of space left after installing just four games. Keep in mind, my XB1 came with 780GB of available space out of the box. So, with game install sizes being so large, would have it been better for us if Microsoft went with a standard 2TB HDD instead of just 1TB? The price difference between 1TB and 2TB HDD is so minimal. It would have more impact on serving customers than their bottom line.

Ha, no way they were gonna do that. MS and Sony have been using hdd sizes for pricing purposes for ages now. Anytime they increase the size they add $50 or even $100 to the price despite the actual cost of the things being nearly the same. Both of these machines could have easily launched with at least 1tb drives but then how can they generate excitement later and charge $50 more if they do it too early? It's especially economically great to have a few different size options available at the same time. That way all your bases are covered. You have the smaller option for cheapskates and then where ya really make your money is with the guys that feel they must have the best one and are willing to pay much more than those extra gigs are actually worth. They might ship with 4tb by the time this generation is over, definitely 2tb at least. But at launch it was going to be as little as possible so they can keep upping them throughout the gen.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Simply delete the games you're not playing, and re-install/download them when you want to play them again. Problem solved.

That becomes harder as the generation goes on.

Like a single play type game it's easy, just finish the game and move on.

The problem is what I said up there. You have so many games that you keep in the rotation because of multiplayer (like Halo and COD), sports games that have new weekly objectives (Madden) and then games like Elder Scrolls that are always changing so you're always revisiting them.

The first year of a generation it's not a problem but once year two swings around it starts becoming one. By year three something needs to be done.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9430 Posts

Well ideally having a fast internet connection will make the use of HDD storage unnecessary. Consoles could just have a smaller 250-500GB SSD and delete and download games as you want them.

My current internet connection (which costs about $50/month) gets me 80Mb/s (or ~10MB/s) which can download 20GB in about 30 minutes. With all these new fiber connection popping up with Gigabit services for roughly the same price we will soon be able to download faster than a regular HDD can handle. That's right, the HDD will bottleneck you.

HDD speeds are about 50MB/s

SSD speeds are about 500MB/s

Gigabit internet is about 135MB/s

With a gigabit connection the same 20GB will take about 2.5 minutes. It would be quicker to just download the software again then it would be to store it on an external HDD.

Plus you get all the awesome load times and system startup speeds that come with having an SSD.

PenKowalski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PenKowalski
Member since 2014 • 619 Posts

I have a 500GB Xbox One and the internal drive is enough for me because I simply connected an external 2TB portable drive. I have plnety of space even after I have around 44 games installed on my portable drive alone.

I get it that some of you want to be able to swap out the internal drive, but you can simply expand your storage with a simple plug-n-play drive. Not once have I had an issue with this set up. Not only do I have my Xbox One like this, but I have a second Xbox One in my living room with the same set up.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56351 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@Bigboi500 said:

That becomes harder as the generation goes on.

Like a single play type game it's easy, just finish the game and move on.

The problem is what I said up there. You have so many games that you keep in the rotation because of multiplayer (like Halo and COD), sports games that have new weekly objectives (Madden) and then games like Elder Scrolls that are always changing so you're always revisiting them.

The first year of a generation it's not a problem but once year two swings around it starts becoming one. By year three something needs to be done.

I went all digital this gen on Xbox One/PS4 and I only uninstall my games if it's only shooters that I'm no longer playing that has little to no support like Titanfall. Other then that, I got my COD Advanced Warfare 1TB Xbox One last year and so far, depending on the game size GB, I'm still good and have only 370GB left. Nowadays, games are becoming more on GB as ever but this gen was to be expected.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I agree that 1TB is no longer enough storage in the 9th Generation of video games. I have the plain 500GB model Xbox one. I have only purchased 3 digital only games. Project root, Goat Simulator, and Forza Horizon 2 presents Fast and Furious. In addition I have 10 retail games on Disc.

So only I have just 13 games for Xbox one. Which has used 91.6% of the 500GB HDD. I can install 1 more game the size of 30.5 GB then my HDD is depleted.

So at one time 500GB seemed like a lot. Now these days 1TB is not enough, This is a first world problem. So before it is time to slice up and end it all. Xbox one can use external HDD's and thumb drives. But it will be soon before MS does release Xbox one consoles with 2TB or 3 and 4 TB HDD's.

Sigh now that 1TB HDD seems too small even in this early going of the 8th generation of games.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

I bought a 2TD external hard drive, I got about 20 games on it I have 1,3TB left that's with DLC as well. Just buy an external. I only keep apps on my internal storage.