This topic is locked from further discussion.

KenHalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KenHalo
Member since 2005 • 1020 Posts
I know that games are addicting, but im worried about my eyes. I already haveĀ  a pair of glasses that I don't use often. I don't want glasses though. I don't like maintaining glasses, I just want to see clearly, and not all blurry each morning. I love games, but im scared to keep going. anyone else?
terdoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 terdoo
Member since 2006 • 5306 Posts
Dont play them so much then or get contacts.
butkis689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 butkis689
Member since 2003 • 1955 Posts
Dont play them so much then or get contacts.terdoo

there's your solution. that's what i've been wearing for 4 years now. they are a hassle, but you get used to them in your daily routine. plus i will be able to get laser eye surgery soon, so that can be an option as well depending on how old you are.
Halo2Marine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Halo2Marine
Member since 2004 • 167 Posts

There was a recent study done at a high class university that discovered that playing action games over a period of time actually improves visual acuity.Ā  Dude, you have nothing to worry about, if your eyes do start to worsen it is because of something different or simple genetics.Ā  There has never been a study, to my knowledge, that playing games actually worsened eye sight.Ā  This could be wrong though.Ā Do some research if you are still worried.Ā  I beleive as long as your eyes are moving, instead of staring at one point on the screen you will be completely fine if not better.

P.S. I have been playing games since I was six and I have 20/10 vision; don't worry so much.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
i dont think playing games hurt your eyes
Spartan874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Spartan874
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts
video games arent ADDICTING in the sense that youll have withdrawls and stuff like a heroin addiction, but they are mind-addictive like marijuana. its all in your head so if youre strong (not physically) then you wont have a problem getting ADDICTED to video games. i know i sound really dumb talking about this but its true. my mom always talked to me about how she thought i was addicted to games but you cant be. now i only play on the weekends and maybe 2 hours a day TOPS.
about your eyes, sit further away from your tv and only play for maybe a maximum of 3 hours a day. and dont play everday.
Avatar image for DrFeelgoodsTwin
DrFeelgoodsTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 DrFeelgoodsTwin
Member since 2006 • 220 Posts
GET A LIFE? dude deal with glasses your eyes are bad o well but you dont need to blame hours on video game for it. That means you must neve get off the game. You know there is a video gamers anonymous.
babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts
If you're worried about your vision, then just don't play in a completely dark room. You should always have a light on while watching a TV for an extended period of time--even a dim one is fine. Staring at a TV in a dark room is like staring at a light bulb.
Moncada5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Moncada5
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts

video games arent ADDICTING in the sense that youll have withdrawls and stuff like a heroin addiction, but they are mind-addictive like marijuana. its all in your head so if youre strong (not physically) then you wont have a problem getting ADDICTED to video games. i know i sound really dumb talking about this but its true. my mom always talked to me about how she thought i was addicted to games but you cant be. now i only play on the weekends and maybe 2 hours a day TOPS.
about your eyes, sit further away from your tv and only play for maybe a maximum of 3 hours a day. and dont play everday.
Spartan874

I don't know, I have seen some kids go crazy when they don't get to play their video games.

TemkaNY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TemkaNY
Member since 2004 • 479 Posts

There was a recent study done at a high class university that discovered that playing action games over a period of time actually improves visual acuity.Ā  Dude, you have nothing to worry about, if your eyes do start to worsen it is because of something different or simple genetics.Ā  There has never been a study, to my knowledge, that playing games actually worsened eye sight.Ā  This could be wrong though.Ā Do some research if you are still worried.Ā  I beleive as long as your eyes are moving, instead of staring at one point on the screen you will be completely fine if not better.

P.S. I have been playing games since I was six and I have 20/10 vision; don't worry so much.

Halo2Marine
Completely agree with above said !
TemkaNY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TemkaNY
Member since 2004 • 479 Posts
[QUOTE="terdoo"]Dont play them so much then or get contacts.butkis689

there's your solution. that's what i've been wearing for 4 years now. they are a hassle, but you get used to them in your daily routine. plus i will be able to get laser eye surgery soon, so that can be an option as well depending on how old you are.

You might wanna hold up with your laser surgery, unless you are 25 and over. I heard from one ophthalmologist that your eye-ball structure modifies and adapts to certain visual aspects while human body is in natural development process. That means if your vision got bad within the last year or two it doesnā€™t specifically mean that it will be like that permanently till the rest of your life. It can also get better by itself within the next few years of further development of your body. I would definitely consult some more with couple of other surgeons prior an actual laser surgery, you know, just as the second opinion.
statquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 statquo
Member since 2004 • 666 Posts
dude just don't play for long periods of time, especially if your playing on a small monitor and up close to it.Ā  take breaks frequently and let them rest.
XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts
ya man i have glasses and i wear them all the time cuz i like them and my eye site is not the greatest. im sure my cause is genetics and my over use of monitor usage lol. i am thinking to get lazer eye sergury when i am older.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
Eyesight is genetic. Unless you play until your eyeballs bleed, it has been proven that video games do not significantly impair vision.
Avatar image for kingdmudrfrfan1
kingdmudrfrfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kingdmudrfrfan1
Member since 2006 • 521 Posts
sorry man that stinks
KenHalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KenHalo
thanks to all who contributed but It is hard when you find a game you really like. Also, my friend plays everyday since Christmas for a long time, everytime I am online, he's online. I will see what happens to him.
ChickenHawk07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 ChickenHawk07
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts
I've been a gamer since, well before I can rightly remember, and I had impaired vision for a long time. I recently had laser eye surgery and am now at a consistent 20/15 vision. I still play my video games ALOT and my vision has not gone down. As many have already said on this page, your Vision going down is Genetic and your playing video games will not worsen this. Play until you bleed, then you know it's time to stop!
halo3-player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 halo3-player
Member since 2006 • 6036 Posts
staring at a computer on gamespot all day might not help though....
resevilfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 resevilfan1
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts
hey can someone tell me how much does laser eye surgery cost
mrxb0x360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrxb0x360
Member since 2005 • 5253 Posts

I know that games are addicting, but im worried about my eyes. I already haveĀ  a pair of glasses that I don't use often. I don't want glasses though. I don't like maintaining glasses, I just want to see clearly, and not all blurry each morning. I love games, but im scared to keep going. anyone else?KenHalo

Make sure ur in a well lighted room and are not too close too the t.v.

then u should be fine

jRocka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jRocka
Member since 2002 • 5125 Posts
I think it's time to stand a few more feet away from your TV while playing.
kyle_1865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kyle_1865
Member since 2005 • 1025 Posts
[QUOTE="terdoo"]Dont play them so much then or get contacts.butkis689

laser eye surgery is retarded, it will cause you more problems in the long run
Avatar image for Mancow_wrestler
Mancow_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mancow_wrestler
Member since 2006 • 1249 Posts
Spartan874
lol withdrawls would blow...
Kiddinvalid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kiddinvalid
Member since 2006 • 1317 Posts
ive been playing games a while and i got a vision test and they said "you have at least 20/20 and have nothing to worry about" cause i thought i might need glasses but i dont :P
shock_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shock_88
Member since 2003 • 310 Posts
I wouldn't recommend laser eye surgery, there are too many risks with it, as it's still relatively new, and thus not all the side effects are known. I saw a documentary on one person who had developed constant burning in his eyes because of it, but didn't occur till much later in his life. It's rare but it can happen, and I don't think it's worth the risk for the just convenience of not wearing glasses or contacts. So I would stick with glasses if I were you.

Also like many others said above, just make sure you're not 2 feet away from the screen and constantly in the dark. I have been playing games for about 14 years now, and I still have better eye-sight than most.
bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
i've been playing games since I was like, 7, and I'm 15 now, and my vision is still 20/20. so i'm not gonna worry about it unless my vision starts deteriorating.
Deagler_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Deagler_
Member since 2006 • 360 Posts
[QUOTE="Halo2Marine"]

There was a recent study done at a high class university that discovered that playing action games over a period of time actually improves visual acuity. Dude, you have nothing to worry about, if your eyes do start to worsen it is because of something different or simple genetics. There has never been a study, to my knowledge, that playing games actually worsened eye sight. This could be wrong though. Do some research if you are still worried. I beleive as long as your eyes are moving, instead of staring at one point on the screen you will be completely fine if not better.

TemkaNY

I too have 20/10 vision
Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
Nothing to worry about, gamers that have been playing for a few decades still have clear vision from what I've heard, so it's probably some other cause that your eyes are blurry besides video games.
littleman1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 littleman1992
Member since 2004 • 1727 Posts
Well that's nice that playing games sharpens your vision but I don't think sitting 2 feet away from the TV helps....
ayrtonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ayrtonk
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
i know that from playing video games that i have recentaly gained some far sightedness and that the doc said it can be caused by playing vd games while tired
ChickenHawk07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChickenHawk07
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts
hey can someone tell me how much does laser eye surgery costresevilfan1
You can find lots of different prices. From $1000 to what I paid at $5000 for custom wave technology and a first class surgeon. I mean crap..... I only have two eyes and I can make $5000 pretty easily, well at least much easier than finding two new eyes.
KenHalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KenHalo
GRAW 2 ALL THE WAY!! In that game, the shadows get in the way and distract you. It also hides enemies so Ill be playing that when it comes out. Ive been looking around the screen a lot playing that game.
[QUOTE="TemkaNY"][QUOTE="Halo2Marine"]

There was a recent study done at a high class university that discovered that playing action games over a period of time actually improves visual acuity. Dude, you have nothing to worry about, if your eyes do start to worsen it is because of something different or simple genetics. There has never been a study, to my knowledge, that playing games actually worsened eye sight. This could be wrong though. Do some research if you are still worried. I beleive as long as your eyes are moving, instead of staring at one point on the screen you will be completely fine if not better.

Deagler_

I too have 20/10 vision

KenHalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KenHalo
I just found out that reading or drawing too close to the paper are bad for your eyes. I think thats the cause of this because I recently found out I was drawing too close to the paper too much. Yeah, i draw a lot