If I use the towel trick will MS still repair my console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Squall910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Squall910
Member since 2003 • 1206 Posts

I got the red rings this morning, my box from MS is on the way. But I feel like playing some Rock Band... If I use the towel trick how long will my xbox work for and will MS repair it if it is still working(from the towel trick) when they recieve it?

Avatar image for chicken_slasher
chicken_slasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 chicken_slasher
Member since 2008 • 817 Posts
NO IT VOIDS UR WARRENTY
Squall910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Squall910
Im pretty sure it doesnt void my warranty but if it looks fixed im guessing they wont fix it
xboxdudeman800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 xboxdudeman800
Member since 2005 • 3880 Posts
It doesn't void the warranty. As long as you don't actually open the console, you are fine. The towel trick is only temperary anyway, so MS won't know that you did it in the first place.
Squall910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Squall910
exactly how long does it last?
xboxdudeman800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xboxdudeman800
I'm not sure. Try it if you want to. Microsoft is going to repair/replace it anyway. It might last for a few hours mabye even a few days, but it will eventually go back to the red-rings.
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RaseshX
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts
What's the towel trick :P?
xsqmko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xsqmko
Member since 2004 • 517 Posts

If u don't receive a new one then maybe used the Towel trick as well :P(if u get the same console)
and after some days.....bang again.....question.

Did u treat ur console good?

did u let it in an open space to cool?

how do u position ur console?

did u cover it after every play with something soft and very easy on it to avoid dust?

did the console fall or something like that?

how many hours u played with it?

answer this pls, i'm curious O_o(answer honestly)

there are many questions regarding how good u treat ur console.......

solo4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 solo4321
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
i did it and it was still working until i sent it off and they replaced my whole 360
xboxdudeman800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xboxdudeman800
The towel trick is a temporary fix to the "red-rings of death." The ring come from a hardware failure, usually a broken sodder. The trick involves heating up the console as much as possible, in this case by wrapping a few towels around the xbox and turning it on for a few hours. The desired effect is that enough heat will be created to melt the broken sodder back into place.
Squall910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Squall910

Yes, I dusted it pretty often

Yes, there was nothing above it or to the sides only under it, which there has to be because you now... gravity and all

vertical

did u cover it after every play with something soft and very easy on it to avoid dust?

Nope

Never

Alot, like 4 hours Mon-Thurs and like 6-8 or more on Fri-Sun

RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RaseshX
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts
The towel trick is a temporary fix to the "red-rings of death." The ring come from a hardware failure, usually a broken sodder. The trick involves heating up the console as much as possible, in this case by wrapping a few towels around the xbox and turning it on for a few hours. The desired effect is that enough heat will be created to melt the broken sodder back into place.xboxdudeman800
:O, does this actaully work ..?
xsqmko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xsqmko
Member since 2004 • 517 Posts

Yes, I dusted it pretty often

Yes, there was nothing above it or to the sides only under it, which there has to be because you now... gravity and all

vertical

Nope

Never

Alot, like 4 hours Mon-Thurs and like 6-8 or more on Fri-Sun

Squall910

bad luck i think, and in the future u should cover ur console, dust is in every room, and sometimes u can see it only at sunlight......and it's all over the place.

still it sucks hard.....

xboxdudeman800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xboxdudeman800

[QUOTE="xboxdudeman800"]The towel trick is a temporary fix to the "red-rings of death." The ring come from a hardware failure, usually a broken sodder. The trick involves heating up the console as much as possible, in this case by wrapping a few towels around the xbox and turning it on for a few hours. The desired effect is that enough heat will be created to melt the broken sodder back into place.RaseshX

yeah.

xboxdudeman800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xboxdudeman800

[QUOTE="xboxdudeman800"]The towel trick is a temporary fix to the "red-rings of death." The ring come from a hardware failure, usually a broken sodder. The trick involves heating up the console as much as possible, in this case by wrapping a few towels around the xbox and turning it on for a few hours. The desired effect is that enough heat will be created to melt the broken sodder back into place.RaseshX

yeah.

Squall910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Squall910
by the way when i say 4 hours mon-thurs and 6 hours fri-sunI mean 4 hours each day and 6-8 hours each day
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
i recently did this, like a month ago... my xbox died and well i called MS to send me the Ship Box. Two days after calling i used the towel trick. My xbox lived for two weeks after doing the towel trick only once. After a week of calling the box came, however my Xbox was still working for another week. After it finally died, i sent it and 1.5 weeks later i got a new ref. xbox. So nope it dosen't void ur warrenty
herbie12282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 herbie12282
Member since 2002 • 2861 Posts

I got the red rings this morning, my box from MS is on the way. But I feel like playing some Rock Band... If I use the towel trick how long will my xbox work for and will MS repair it if it is still working(from the towel trick) when they recieve it?

Squall910
I tried the towel trick on mine when it broke in October 2007. I tried it after I called in the repair order figuring the console didn't work, what would I have to lose by trying it? The trick worked but only for a day or two then RRoD again. The only way to void the warranty is to open the case and peel the tamper strip or to cause such obvious physical damage to the console that they could argue that it was not a manufacturing defect. The towel trick just intentionally overheats the board and since the console is know to overheat anyway, MS has no way of proving it.
ShadowsRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShadowsRunner
Member since 2006 • 742 Posts
Towel trick would only work for like a days or two or even only 5 minutes but MS would still fix it if you didn't open up the console
To_Ashes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 To_Ashes
Member since 2006 • 549 Posts
Its a nice little trick that works... But I just say bring it back wait the month because I tried and had my system work for about less than 3 hours... Not worth it really...
ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 ag3ntz3rox0x
Member since 2007 • 1534 Posts
idk
jameslund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jameslund
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Towel trick would only work for like a days or two or even only 5 minutes but MS would still fix it if you didn't open up the consoleShadowsRunner

lolz shame i tried it another way first and opened up the console : / oh well i make a good bit of money so i cana just buy a new one eventually

Avatar image for TIE_Elite_Pilot
TIE_Elite_Pilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 TIE_Elite_Pilot
Member since 2004 • 829 Posts

Towel trick would only work for like a days or two or even only 5 minutes but MS would still fix it if you didn't open up the consoleShadowsRunner

My friend had the towel trick fix it for just over a month. As for the guy who first mentioned the towel trick, you said turn it on for HOURS. jeezuz no, you're only supposed to turn it on for 20-30 minutes, if it's wraped up properly after that short amount of time the thing is too damn hot to touch.

oh and MS did replace my friends console when it RROD'd again. Just don't volunteer the fact that you did the towel trick to MS and you'll be fine.

p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts
no it won't it's just like the baking trick when doing the x-clamp mod but without voiding your warranty