if at E3 microsoft announces...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danjam2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 danjam2007
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts
an add on BLU-RAY player like the HD DVD one will you buy it???

I WOULD
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts
no, I'm waiting for a REAL next gen format for movies.
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts
no. paying for movies is overrated.
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 dukebd699
Member since 2006 • 12054 Posts

no. paying for movies is overrated.c0mplex

No paying for movies is legal. Now I'm not saying don't steal but if not doing illegal stuff is overrated why aren't more people robbing schools and going 120 on the highway?

wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts

no, I'm waiting for a REAL next gen format for movies.skullkrusher13

and what exactly would this "real" next gen format be? we realy don't need a 3rd one on the market.

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

[QUOTE="c0mplex"]no. paying for movies is overrated.dukebd699

No paying for movies is legal. Now I'm not saying don't steal but if not doing illegal stuff is overrated why aren't more people robbing schools and going 120 on the highway?

I think he meant buying DVDs even after youve seen the movie in theaters

__MasterVAL__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 __MasterVAL__
Member since 2006 • 519 Posts
:twisted: YES I WOULD! :twisted:
Apillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Apillow
Member since 2003 • 1062 Posts
The next big format has already started. Digital Distribution!
__MasterVAL__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 __MasterVAL__
Member since 2006 • 519 Posts
Yes that's true but :twisted: I STILL WOULD! :twisted:
saturndust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 saturndust
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts

Do you realize what you're talking about? digital distribution? not really a great one, blue ray add on? not gonna happen, paying for movies overrated? good movies ae not to be seen just one time.

Going back to the topic... Blue Ray on the 360 won't be announced...there are many factors to keep this away from happening so why bother thinking on some bizarre thing like that?

Apillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Apillow
Member since 2003 • 1062 Posts

Do you realize what you're talking about? digital distribution? not really a great one, blue ray add on? not gonna happen, paying for movies overrated? good movies ae not to be seen just one time.

Going back to the topic... Blue Ray on the 360 won't be announced...there are many factors to keep this away from happening so why bother thinking on some bizarre thing like that?

saturndust

You don't think digital distribution is going to take over? Then why are people downloading music like crazy and listening to podcasts? Movies are next on that list. With fiber being rolled out it's only a matter of time.

Oh.... I'm talking about owning the movies you download. Itunes already has tv shows on it and Netflix already has on-demand rentals. Then there's Vongo, Movielink and many more.

rob101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 rob101
Member since 2003 • 850 Posts
Blu-ray is an Sony technology so I doubt they are going to lend their closest competitor a hand, and if Blu-ray fails according to market analysis so will the PS3 and Ms will come out on top of this game console war, so why the hell would they add an Bluray
danjam2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 danjam2007
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts
Blu-ray is an Sony technology so I doubt they are going to lend their closest competitor a hand, and if Blu-ray fails according to market analysis so will the PS3 and Ms will come out on top of this game console war, so why the hell would they add an Blurayrob101

b ecause its a buisness and from what i read hd dvd is getting its ass handed to them by blu-ray which is why i havent baught the hd dvd add on
wobbyld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wobbyld
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts
I thought there was players in development which would play hd-dvd and blu-ray
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

Blu-ray is an Sony technology so I doubt they are going to lend their closest competitor a hand, and if Blu-ray fails according to market analysis so will the PS3 and Ms will come out on top of this game console war, so why the hell would they add an Blurayrob101

yes... because MS has some stake in the success of HD DVD... even AFTER it fails to beat Blu Ray.

and on the other hand... Sony has no reason to allow MS to create a Blu Ray player so that Blu Ray movies can increase its total userbase to sell movies to.

:|

hezbollahector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hezbollahector
Member since 2006 • 492 Posts

saturndust

yup cant tell you how many movies and/or music ive downloaded

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

probably would

totaldj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 totaldj
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts

word

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hashbrowns
Member since 2003 • 492 Posts
[QUOTE="saturndust"]

Apillow

You don't think digital distribution is going to take over? Then why are people downloading music like crazy and listening to podcasts? Movies are next on that list. With fiber being rolled out it's only a matter of time.

Oh.... I'm talking about owning the movies you download. Itunes already has tv shows on it and Netflix already has on-demand rentals. Then there's Vongo, Movielink and many more.

The amount of compression that is necessary in digital distribution is what bothers me. The maximum resolution of a movie off LIVE Marketplace is 720p, right? With 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound? Those weigh in at a half-dozen gigs easily, no special features included. Now take a movie that's encoded at 1080p with DTS-HD sound, and include several hours of bonus material, all encoded in 1080p as well. Filling a Blu-Ray disc's 50 gig storage capacity is not out of the question.

How soon is it going to be feasible to download EVERY movie you wish to own at 50 gigs a shot? And what are you going to store them on? A hard-drive disk with moving parts that will eventually wear out? And when that drive eventually fails, are you going to download your entire movie collection again? I own several dozen movies, and a couple television series. Do I want to be downloading several terabytes?

The entire idealof Blu-Ray and HD-DVD was to enhance the fidelity of presentation, but are people going to prefer more convenient yet compressed movies? It's likely. Digital distribution set music fidelity back at least adecade. The masses considered compressed mp3s to be good enough. People walk around with their iPod earbuds, listening to horrendously compressed music through completely inferior audio equipment, but they're oblivious to quality presentation it seems. Heck, we're still stuck with CDs while SACDs and DVD-A discs offer superior quality and have been available for years now. Are we going to see another victory of convenience over quality yet again? I hope not.

I realize that bandwidth will theoretically become nigh infinite at some point, but how long before true Blu-Ray quality downloads will be available to the same number of people who currently buy DVDs? I'm waiting, but not holding my breath.

SSJLink17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SSJLink17
Member since 2003 • 44 Posts

[QUOTE="rob101"]Blu-ray is an Sony technology so I doubt they are going to lend their closest competitor a hand, and if Blu-ray fails according to market analysis so will the PS3 and Ms will come out on top of this game console war, so why the hell would they add an Bluraydanjam2007

b ecause its a buisness and from what i read hd dvd is getting its ass handed to them by blu-ray which is why i havent baught the hd dvd add on

so youre gonna wait til they make the Blu Ray player an add on for the 360

SSJLink17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SSJLink17
Member since 2003 • 44 Posts
which will never happen
Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Trashface
Member since 2006 • 3534 Posts
MS and Gates put money into Macintosh to help them survive probably in order to avoid having a monopoly. Maybe Gates will be charitable and buy rights to a Blu Ray add -on to help the struggling PS3.
rob101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 rob101
Member since 2003 • 850 Posts

[QUOTE="rob101"]Blu-ray is an Sony technology so I doubt they are going to lend their closest competitor a hand, and if Blu-ray fails according to market analysis so will the PS3 and Ms will come out on top of this game console war, so why the hell would they add an Blurayc0mplex

yes... because MS has some stake in the success of HD DVD... even AFTER it fails to beat Blu Ray.

and on the other hand... Sony has no reason to allow MS to create a Blu Ray player so that Blu Ray movies can increase its total userbase to sell movies to.

:|

You really show how little you know about the topic, Blu-ray allows Sony to place a lot more information on the disc, it also ups the cost of their system forcing them to charge the consumer more than MS, or Sony can take a price hit in the pocket and charge less and lose on the system in-order to sell more units. Blu-ray also give Sony the advantage of adding more info to the disc which in turn will allow them to produce better games, especially Sony only content, which will never happen if they do not sell more units. So in fact if MS had a Blu-ray which they never will they would be helping in the production of their gaming competitor Sony thus shooting themselves in the foot so don't be an idiot, also there was an article on Gamespot that stated exactly the same thing from an leading industry analyst

jackal520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jackal520
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts
true blu ray is sony technology but think about previous format wars such as beta and vhs..they didnt last as long as the console wars i think MS is being smart and putting their cards on the table for the console wars because they get much more in revenue and earn way more unlike sony who spent so much money just fitting the blu ray in the ps3 was very very costly because if it fails..they lose a huge amount of cash
sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

I WOULDdanjam2007

I only watch films like once and after watching them in a odean then going home even if its HD its still doesnt hold a candle to a 300" screen

PacBoy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PacBoy23
Member since 2004 • 9505 Posts
i dont see the point i just like the renting way on xbox live where its hd why would i want to pay 150$ or more for a add on then have to buy movies or rent movies im probably only going to watch a few times at the most
Omnipotent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Omnipotent
Member since 2002 • 112 Posts
I don't think so...I'd rather just dl a high def movie off XBL...so much easier than going to rent a movie. If i wanted to watch other movies, then HD movies on demand from your cable/sat provider
blue-fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 blue-fish
Member since 2003 • 1389 Posts

[QUOTE="c0mplex"]no. paying for movies is overrated.dukebd699

Because those other crimes have consequences both for the victims and the purpotrator. Actual consequences, that matter.

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts
I'm just going to stick with the regular DVD. All this HDDVD and Bluray is a bit expensive for my taste, and I'd need to get an HDTV first too.
RamboSymbiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RamboSymbiot
Member since 2007 • 6302 Posts

I WOULDdanjam2007

Its a cool feature but i wouldnt really be into it much. I can see others getting hyped up for it though

cybermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cybermario
Member since 2004 • 465 Posts
i wouldnt unless they make a game that takes advantage of the 50gig space on those disks.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#33 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
It wont happen. And if it did, no.