I find this weird......Do you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hobo290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 hobo290
Member since 2007 • 408 Posts

Ok, let me start off by saying I found this out ever since I played Gears of War. (Jan, 1 2007)

I do this for ALL SHOOTER GAMES.

When I play I DO NOT hold the controller in the "normal way." For instance in Gears of War, I hold the "A" (To run) button down with my First finger, (Index Finger) I don't hold it with my thumb. So basically, for me I use my index finger to push down any of the four main buttons ( X, Y, A, B). I find this really helpful, because I can reload with "X" like in CoD4, while still maintaining my reticlue at the enemy, since my thumb is not being used.

My friends say it's cheating, but I don't. So what do you think? And let me know if you do the same thing I do. All comments apreciated

ONCE AGAIN I DO THIS FOR ALL SHOOTERS, GOW, COD4, BATTLEFIELD, HALO. GTA IV, RAINBOW SIX VEGAS, GRAW, you name it.

Bottom line: Do you think its weird, helpful, do you do this, is it cheating...ETC....

sorry for long post....

Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
Well, thats different. It's definitley not cheating, so don't worry. Also, if it works for you, don't let your friends tell you otherwise.
KILLANINJADUCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 KILLANINJADUCK
Member since 2007 • 762 Posts
i think its pretty useful. and i dont think its cheating for them to say that you must be pretty good and i guess i will try this out
Soda-Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Soda-Jack
Member since 2008 • 333 Posts

Ok, let me start off by saying I found this out ever since I played Gears of War. (Jan, 1 2007)

I do this for ALL SHOOTER GAMES.

When I play I DO NOT hold the controller in the "normal way." For instance in Gears of War, I hold the "A" (To run) button down with my First finger, (Index Finger) I don't hold it with my thumb. So basically, for me I use my index finger to push down any of the four main buttons ( X, Y, A, B). I find this really helpful, because I can reload with "X" like in CoD4, while still maintaining my reticlue at the enemy, since my thumb is not being used.

My friends say it's cheating, but I don't. So what do you think? And let me know if you do the same thing I do. All comments apreciated

ONCE AGAIN I DO THIS FOR ALL SHOOTERS, GOW, COD4, BATTLEFIELD, HALO. GTA IV, RAINBOW SIX VEGAS, GRAW, you name it.

Bottom line: Do you think its weird, helpful, do you do this, is it cheating...ETC....

sorry for long post....

hobo290
I play COD4 and Halo 3 with the Guitar Hero guitar. j/k(wouldn't that be hilariously cool though) I did see a video of a guy that was bad a** at Soul Caliber using the old sega fishing controller.
juju187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 juju187
Member since 2004 • 402 Posts
one of my friends in high school 10 yrs ago, had no thumb on his right hand so he played that way
Avatar image for GameMasterCraig
GameMasterCraig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GameMasterCraig
Member since 2007 • 630 Posts
I suppose it gives your thumb a break, and it isn't cheating, they just said that because they were probably losing or something and aren't skilled enough to do it themselves.
sergeantscul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 sergeantscul
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts
Its not cheating. Cheating requires using glitches, program or other cheap ways. Who ever accused a person " YOU CHEAT CAUSE YOU USE DIFFRENT FINGERS" lol. If it works for you then good!
Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts
Never heard of anyone doing that, but it's not cheating at all. If they really wanted to they could probably teach themselves how to. Are you missing a finger or anything, or how'd you start playing like that? (if you remember)
matt120282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 matt120282
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

i have seen people play games like Tekken that way, back in the day. i don't find it easy to do myself, and it looks a bit weird, but i definately don't think its cheating. cheating is something like unplugging your friends controller at a vital moment! (sadly since the inception of wireless controllers this little strategy is defunct)

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
It's definitely not cheating - stick with your technique. I do not find it weird but it is the first time I've heard of anyone playing that way.
SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

i have seen people play games like Tekken that way, back in the day. i don't find it easy to do myself, and it looks a bit weird, but i definately don't think its cheating. cheating is something like unplugging your friends controller at a vital moment! (sadly since the inception of wireless controllers this little strategy is defunct)

matt120282

Yeah, now you have to try and hit the button to drop the battery pack. :P

Othello77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Othello77
Member since 2008 • 72 Posts

I play COD4 and Halo 3 with the Guitar Hero guitar. j/k(wouldn't that be hilariously cool though) I did see a video of a guy that was bad a** at Soul Caliber using the old sega fishing controller.

I have tried using the Guitar Hero/Rock Band Guitars in Halo 2 because we only have 3 controllers and there were 4 of us. It didn't really turn out as planned. I would have to take the Rock Band guitar over the Guitar Hero one though. You can throw grenades with it by throwing the effects switch. But all your guy does is spin in circles and sometimes shoot. Its weird. You can melee too though.

That is definitely not cheating but I can't believe you do that. Isn't it uncomfortable? I may try it sometime. Do whatever is good for you, unless you are playing online against me - then it is cheating.

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
That's actually cool man. Even though you can reload and everything faster by doing that, how good is your shooting since you have to slide your fingers up to do so or are you using two for the buttons and the back two for the triggers?
grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

I know a guy who has played this way since Street Fighter 2 came out on the SNES. He'd use his three middle fingers to press buttons, while using his pinky and thumb to hold the controller. He taught me how to do it, but I was never as comfortable with it as he was.

It's definitely not cheating. If people aren't bright/skilled enough to use all of their fingers/thumbs effectively in new and unique ways, then they will get owned by people who can. They will also have very bored and disappointed significant others in later life.

Nills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Nills
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts
Strange....but cool.
stinky_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 stinky_bomb
Member since 2006 • 488 Posts
Most pros play like that especially for halo 2 because there was no bumper jumper i think its called like claw or something.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I've tried holding A down with a finger before, but my fingers don't bend too well for that, so I end up pressing it with a knuckle, and get cramp after a short while. Then I go back to playing regular.

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts
i do that in halo when i jump so i can still look around, so if it is cheating your not the only one.:D
DivinitySkate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DivinitySkate
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts
Thats odd..but whatever evreyone has there own style of playing like the guy that can use his feet, it's all about your style of gaming.
KUHawksFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KUHawksFan
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

I also use my index finger to press X but X only for some reason.

For me it started playing Star Wars: The Clone Wars for the GC and i'd use the unlimited boost cheat and that's how I would hold it down.

The_GR8_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_GR8_H
Member since 2008 • 238 Posts
its not cheating...tell ur friends to stop making excuses for losin against u lol...last time i checked there wasnt a rule book for the position of ur hands on a game controller so however u want to hold it then by all means do it...I kno when im smashin my friends in madden i showboat and hold the controller behind my back upside down or i'll turn my back to the tv and play by looking at the wall that is a giant mirror so that everything is reversed...i also hae a buddy that holds the joysticks with his thumb and index finger around the edge and uses his pinkys for the triggers and his other fingers jus fall into place and he rips ppl apart in COD4...he and i both get accused for having turbo controllers when we use the silenced G3 in regular mode (sabotage, domination, etc. not hardcore)
matt120282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 matt120282
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
[QUOTE="matt120282"]

SavageM2

Yeah, now you have to try and hit the button to drop the battery pack. :P

lmao awesome. you would be a proper cheating ninja if you could pull that off without them noticing!

PlzDuntBanMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PlzDuntBanMe
Member since 2008 • 3269 Posts
Its not cheating, its the way you play and you have a good strategy
hobo290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hobo290

Btw, I have all my fingers.

Started playing like that ever since I got Gears of War, which was was my first game on 360.

BlueRaptor7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 BlueRaptor7
Member since 2004 • 282 Posts
To use the word "cheating" in your situation is to say, "Hey, stop being better than me." I think its perfectly fine. Note, though! On Halo, there is a control scheme called "Bumper Jumper" that I use. You use left bumper to jump, therein, you always have a constant bead on your opponent. That might help a bit. ;) -BR7 ^_^ [kthx]
EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts

My friends say it's cheating...hobo290

I don't understand how holding a controller differently is cheating. That's just silly and your friend is silly for saying it. You found a way to play games that gives you an edge that anyone can do with practice. If everyone can do it, it's not cheating. Plus it's not a glitch or some other exploit within the game.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#27 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts
Wow lol, I thought I was the only one doing that. When my friends come over I always see them looking down on my controller on how I press my buttons and I always thought it was kind of awkward too. Anyways it is not cheating, it is a way for you to play and for me as well.
hobo290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hobo290

That's actually cool man. Even though you can reload and everything faster by doing that, how good is your shooting since you have to slide your fingers up to do so or are you using two for the buttons and the back two for the triggers?Strife88

Actually I press both triggers with the middle fingers.

And if you're thinking thats if its uncomfortable, it feels natural for me, very comfortable.

virtualmatrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 virtualmatrix
Member since 2004 • 138 Posts
haha I wanna try that now...too bad I'm at work. Were you a PC gamer?
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
This is like choking up on a baseball bat or holding a ping pong paddle upside down or shooting a free throw granny style. You do whatever works for you. It's not cheating.
hobo290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hobo290

haha I wanna try that now...too bad I'm at work. Were you a PC gamer?virtualmatrix

No, I'm not a PC gamer

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
that's not weird. Most folks don't do that, so it's a different style. If it works, it works. I could never play like that, so if you can, props to ya.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
yes, my friend does this to on different games. i personly think that it is unconfortible to use.
xxIMoRTaLlxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xxIMoRTaLlxx
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts
def not cheating, I should actually try it sometime
sToK3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sToK3d
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts
is that like playing Claw in Halo? I play bumper jumper in Halo, it owns :-p
Acurev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 Acurev
Member since 2003 • 6484 Posts
wow thats very unique! haha Ive never seen anyone play like that. Respect though for being able to pull it off, I couldnt do it.
irockandroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 irockandroll
Member since 2008 • 1066 Posts
i do that sometimes its definately not cheating. how is it cheating if its just a style of play?