How Xbox is advertising in Japan and its so pimp

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/28/heres-how-microsoft-is-advertising-xbox-one-in-japan-and-it-might-be-working/

It probably the best montage footage from MS I've seen in a long time. I wish they would do more advertising like this for the US base. Instead we get Aaron 'Bitch!' Paul.

What do you guys think? Will this help Xbox? Its already apparently helping. They did reach number 1 on preorder launch.

Here's a link to the Japanese montage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xz7tU4k5y3o

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

That is a sweet video. They need to use the same video in other countries.. Also, why the hate for Aaron Paul? lol.. He was awesome in Breaking Bad...

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bunchanumbers

@superclocked: Aaron Paul wreaks havoc on peoples X1s. Like him as a actor, but if I had my choice of the japan video and the aaron paul commercial I'd take the japan video.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I thought the video was kinda meh tbh. I mean it did an okay job of showing off the current offerings on the system, but the music was annoying and everything was waaaaaaaay too long.

wallacom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 wallacom
Member since 2005 • 221 Posts

Yea apparently Xbox one is top in pre-orders across some big retailers in Japan.

It was an entertaining commercial tbh.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#6 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Loved it! I love how they showed off Kingdom Hearts and Final fantasy! If anything this video has a retro vibe to it, and I love it!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#7 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

why wouldn't they use this everywhere?

This is what a gaming console i would want!

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

Seriously.. Why do they think the wants of us here in North America are different then the people in Japan.. We all want games and this is exactly what this kind of advertising shows.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@mesomorphin said:

Loved it! I love how they showed off Kingdom Hearts and Final fantasy! If anything this video has a retro vibe to it, and I love it!

Agreed....I feel the whole clip came out of an old Final Fantasy game or something. I like the more serious and dramatic tone as well, great job overall and better then the NA equivalent(the invitation commercial....not bad but not as awesome as this one).

They can keep their current advertisements, but inject an English version of this video as well and try to show it to the right demographic, should help.....I felt mesmirized after watching this video lol.....like why would anyone not want to buy an Xbox One after watching this lol.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bunchanumbers

This whole campaign should be shown in US tv commercials. This was way more exciting than any of their previous campaigns. The invitation campaign showed too much live footage. Aaron Paul is self explanatory. This is where they need to be now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Am I really the only one who wasn't entranced by this thing?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@Ovirew said:

Well it has a retro-Japanese feel to it that resonates with me due to my early gaming days in the 90's, but for sure it is not meant for everybody that is why I think they should diversify their advertising campaign so there is something in there for everyone.

Solarplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solarplex
Member since 2014 • 64 Posts

Poor Sony, like they need to get beat out at home as well haha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@Alucard_Prime said:

@Ovirew said:

Well it has a retro-Japanese feel to it that resonates with me due to my early gaming days in the 90's, but for sure it is not meant for everybody that is why I think they should diversify their advertising campaign so there is something in there for everyone.

Alright, I guess I can understand that. I think the inclusion of Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 among the roster was pretty odd though, considering that both games are probably gonna be TBD for a few years yet, lol. I felt like the thing seemed amateurishly put together too, but then I guess I have no idea what grabs the attention of Japanese people. I thought the opening with the player getting pulled into the Titan was pretty cool.

@solarplex: I know it's kind of a deep subject, but I feel like this kind of begs the question: "Do Japanese gamers not like the XBox brand, or have they simply not given it enough of a chance yet?"

To a lot of us other worldwide gamers, the fact of the matter is that Sony and Microsoft have pretty similar consoles. And it usually comes down to exclusives, services and the hardware to determine which one we like best. I find it hard to believe that 0 Japanese gamers could have fun with any of the exclusives on Xbox consoles. Tons of Americans are crazy about a lot of games the Japanese have made in the past, so why can't the Japanese be crazy about any of the great games our foreign developers have made?

I don't think the Xbox should have to have massive Japanese developer support in order to be a success. Nintendo doesn't have a whole lot of American developer support, and it has gaggles of obsessive fans worldwide. But then, how come the Xbox hasn't been a success there yet?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bunchanumbers

@Ovirew: The inclusion of KH3 and FFXV is just to show that the big games that come to PlayStation will also make it to the X1, so they won't be missing out on anything. The video itself isn't really crazy Japanese. It didn't feature any manga or idols or mascots. As for the needing Japanese developer support I do think they will need it. If they can find a way to get half of the vita third party collection onto the X1 it would be a huge win for the X1. Then factor in the Kinect (its a selling point there for some reason) and they could at least build a foothold into that market.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

It's odd to see such universal advertising from the Japanese, but that vid was nothing short of greatness

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@bunchanumbers: I have to say, I do like the video ad. It's straight to the point. Here is what you'll be playing on XBox One when we launch in your country. There is a lot of games. Microsoft has several Japanese developers working on even more titles for that market. I'm sure it will do the same thing the PS4 did. Sell ok for 1-2 weeks and then collect dust on retail shelves. The Wii U is outselling the PS4 right now in Japan. There still aren't many exciting AAA exclusives for the PS4 in Japan for 2014. They are all probably waiting for Bloodborne.

@Ovirew said:

I thought the video was kinda meh tbh. I mean it did an okay job of showing off the current offerings on the system, but the music was annoying and everything was waaaaaaaay too long.

Better the Sony's Perfect Day ad that showed no games and not even the PS4 hardware.

@k2theswiss said:

I agree. This is the commercial they should be showing just before Black Friday. They may want to change the music and add Horizon 2 and Master Chief Collection to the video. Other then that, this would be perfect for U.S. and European countries.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Japan, lol.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bunchanumbers

Its ok to laugh about Japan. But they are still among the biggest content producers in gaming so their influence in gaming is still pretty big.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

So they just put together some trailer/in-game footage from games that are/will be on boxie 1, added some strange music, some "boxie 1 is powerfull, amazing, hardcore blah blah blah reviews text" and everything runs with some crappy music ... and that's considered one of their best marketing videos ? How are those freaking idiots sill in business amazes me ... oh wait ... M# had a software division too -_- That explains it.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@Code135 said:

So they just put together some trailer/in-game footage from games that are/will be on boxie 1, added some strange music, some "boxie 1 is powerfull, amazing, hardcore blah blah blah reviews text" and everything runs with some crappy music ... and that's considered one of their best marketing videos ? How are those freaking idiots sill in business amazes me ... oh wait ... M# had a software division too -_- That explains it.

Its simplicity is what makes it good. We've already been told numerous time what the features of the X1 are, and this ad does the smart thing and just shows games.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

Wow that is a nice trailer, It made me want it and I already have it