How to teach someone to play

This topic is locked from further discussion.

f_ZeroX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 f_ZeroX
Member since 2004 • 606 Posts

Since I got my 360 my Dad has been wanting to play with me. The thing is that everytime he tries to he cant get the hang of moving the 2 analog sticks at the same time.

How could I teach him?

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
You can't really he will get used to it after a while. Know alot of people who where the same now they are fine.
Smurkeysmurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Smurkeysmurk
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

Make sure he is holding the controller right, but other then that he has to just play for awhile.

CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#4 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
Maybe try one of the arcade games that only uses one of the sticks at a time? Then, once he's used to one, try using both at once?
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

I think everyone was in your dad's shoes at one time. I remember how confusing it was for me to move master chief around and drive a warthog for the first time using 2 analog sticks. He just has to want to get better.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
practice, practice and more practice. He might have to really think about it at the start, but after a while it should become natural
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Probably the same way I helped my mother learn to use her cellphone haha. Practice, after the basics.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Other than just practicing there isn't much extra you can do other than get some games that won't destroy him while he practices. Maybe get some games that are slower and pretty basic, so not Call of Duty or Gears of War. That way your dad can focus just on that and nothing about a cover system, sprinting, or always aiming down sights and he can also focus on in maybe a bit slower. Some games that come to mind would be Halo: CE, Banjo N&B, Grand Theft Auto, Oblivion, or Fallout 3. Games that do require the use of both joysticks, but will allow him to get used to using both while he plays.

Of course if getting new games isn't really an option than just practicing with what you have.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Patience and practice...

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts
If your dad is southpaw *left handed* then maybe you could go into the game's settings and set the controller to southpaw. My uncle wanted to play with me but he couldn't get the grasp of the sticks until I set them for south paw and he started getting it real quick.
Blackhawk692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Blackhawk692
Member since 2005 • 1306 Posts

Geometry Wars, nuf said, but if your cheap look for I Made a Game With Zombies In It in the indie section, easily the best dollar I have ever spent

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Definitely needs practice. Start him off with something simple before jumping into shooters. My wife learned the controller by playing Tiger Woods 08 a couple years ago.. as well as some arcade games.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

Use a football game, since he'll be able to learn how to move the player accurately using the sticks.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

when i teach people using 2 analog sticks on FPS. i tell them the left stick is to walk and the right stick is your head. press forward on stick is like your head going down and stick going back is your head moving back.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#15 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

try using the same tactics that I used whilst teaching my Grandmother how to play..

Place two buckets of water infront of a chair..

Sit gamer in chair; place feet in each bucket..

When gamer makes mistake; plug electric shaver into socket; then throw shaver into bucket of your choice..

Grannies now a pro !

FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts
My bro just got a 360 and I loaned him my COD4.....bad idea, he can't get past the opening obstacle course. I think he'll have a better run with oblivion and other titles which aren't so 'fast.'
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

I'd say its best he plays games more to get used to it. Maybe a game like Portal would be good practice since its not hectic.

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Well I remember first time I played a video game I was horrible. But it just takes time to get used to and get good.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

when i teach people using 2 analog sticks on FPS. i tell them the left stick is to walk and the right stick is your head. press forward on stick is like your head going down and stick going back is your head moving back.

BLAS1AN
unless its inverted..:P
kramer_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#20 kramer_inc
Member since 2008 • 1303 Posts

Set up a game he likes and let him practice by himself till he gets the hang of it with the two of you playing he could get upset or intimidated

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

[QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

chaoscougar1

unless its inverted..:P

oh yea, lol

I started out on default then changed to what made sense to me

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts
[QUOTE="f_ZeroX"]

Since I got my 360 my Dad has been wanting to play with me. The thing is that everytime he tries to he cant get the hang of moving the 2 analog sticks at the same time.

How could I teach him?

give him so time to try out everything (as in go easy on him in splitscreen and help him take out some of his portion of enemies in co-op play)...don't worry, he'll eventually work it out
Arisen94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Arisen94
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Ive got my mum into video games. Shes in the process of buying a ps3 of her own. At the moment we have gaming sessions playing Samurai Warriors 2. Its basic hack and slash and that gets her use to pressing buttons and controlling a character. She hasn't mastered the camera stick but she'll get it eventually.