How often do you play a game despite the gamespot rating?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hardcorps1110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 hardcorps1110
Member since 2008 • 115 Posts

I had always pay attention to it and I'd find myself always passing up certain games. Lately I've tried to ignor it. I bought GTA IV and to me it was really boring. When it came out I saw the 10.0 rating and good reviews I figured I couldn't pass it up and spent $60. It was just kind of boring to me. There were fun part but over all not worth $60 and a perect score. On the other hand I traded in CoD 4 which is rated 9.0 for some credit and got BF: Bad Company rated 8.5 and I enjoy it way more than Call of Duty.

I know this is all a matter of opinion stuff but all in all my question is really how often do you overlook the rating to just see if you might enjoy it anyway?

xboxlove79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xboxlove79
Member since 2005 • 207 Posts
Shouldn't make decisions on games based on reviews. I personally don't care much about most reviews these days. I do glaze over some to get a general idea of what certain games are about, but other than that I try to go off other things like demos when available. If I enjoy it, ill buy it.
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts
gta4 was boring. it wasnt even close to a 10, gamespot doesnt know what they were thinking
spliffstar12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 spliffstar12
Member since 2008 • 1281 Posts
nobody should care about reviews....
MidNiteX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 MidNiteX
Member since 2005 • 359 Posts
I haven't taken Gamespot reviews seriously since the whole Kane and Lynch incident. Now I usually go over to Gametrailers and check out their reviews. Sometimes I buy games regardless of reviews but not as often as I used to, mostly due to the fact that many of the games that get bad reviews really do suck.
abd_jemeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 abd_jemeye
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

For most of the time, Gamespot reviews are accurate. I can't believe you didn't enjoy CoD4 and found GTA IV boring. 10 may be a perfect score for GTA, but they deserve it. Just look at all the work they put in this game. It's just amazing. And CoD4 is the best MP experience after GoW.

Army of Two was fun, but it got 6.5 or 7.5 I don't remember. NFS seems good as well, and got 7. IMO Gamespot are looking for some keypoints in games. If they find them, they overrate the game, if they don't, they underrate it.

LightColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LightColor
Member since 2006 • 2709 Posts
i don't make decisions based on reviews, especially not here lol but what i like! yeah yeah!
MrNib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 MrNib
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts
I bought Crackdown after Halo 3 came out and I enjoy it.
xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
The only reason i would read a review is to find out what is in the game, if it's a game that i'm not quite familiar with. The score means absolutely nothing to me.
gladi8or19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 gladi8or19
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

i loved GTAIV, and think its a great game and probably deserves a 9.5 or 10... even though it diddnt have some features from san andreas... it made up for that stuff for the graphics, the gameplay motions.. and the missions were os much less repetative than the previous GTA games...

COD 4 is also a great game... although its the opposite this way... the single player in COD4 wasnt that great, it was all about multiplayer... i wish GTAIV had a coop mode where u play the single player missions... because multiplayer just gets stupid sometimes.

one game i still play is COD3... even though the rating isnt too bad on gamespot.. everyone seems to hate it... if i want to play single player WWII style i play that game. Although i cant wait for Brothers in Arms, and COD WAW.

Sixth_Espada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sixth_Espada
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts
Another thing people dont realize is that the score a game gets is the reviewers opinion of that game.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
All the time. I don't care what gamespot, or other review sites give the game in terms of rating, when it comes to the actual purchase. I use reviews to see what people think of the game sure, but I wouldn't formulate an opinion based on reviews.
I would buy a game regardless of the score/rating.
dragon247uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 dragon247uk
Member since 2006 • 220 Posts
I have to agree with you there. GTA IV was way too over-rated and it was no where near worth a 10. I also found CoD4 boring compared with 1, 2 and 3. I have learnt not to trust Gamespot with their reviews. I always check out the user reviews and check the negative reviews first. Then you can decide whether the positive ones are based on hype or not.
Shademar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shademar
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts
Well, usually never, but sometimes I do ignore it. Or I'll at least rent a game if I'm unsure of it.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#16 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Ganespots reviews mean NOTHING to me at all. Since Greg and my other fav reviewers left i find myself not agreeing with almost all the new reviews....

Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden 2 and Vegas 2 are some of my fav games on teh 360 and they got below a 9.

I take user reviews more serious then gamespots ones.

venasque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 venasque
Member since 2005 • 373 Posts

You hit the nail on the head when you said it was all based on personal opinion. That's why I don't look at a game's score alone. I read the reviews and watch gameplay video. I try to determine if the things that the reviewer finds fun is something I would as well.

As a more obvious example, I don't like sports games. No matter what the score is for a sports title (Madden 08 got a 8.5 which is "great") I know I'm not going to enjoy it. Same goes for racing simulations. No matter how well received I'm not going to enjoy the Gran Turismo series.

That doesn't mean those that reviewed these games are stupid or not good at their job, only that I have a differing opinion on the matter. The more honest you are with yourself and what you like (despite any hype) the better you'll become at using reviews properly. Won't stop you from playing a game and being disappointed with it, but it will (hopefully) cut down on that.

tinkles87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tinkles87
Member since 2005 • 155 Posts
I usually agree with the Gamespot reviews but I never check out a game unless I've checked both Gamespot and IGN but I did disagree with Kane and Lynch I think it deserved a 7.5 or so and GTA 4 only deserved 9.5 because I have found glitches in it. But usually I look for 7.5 or higher games. I do know people who just go by the back of the box.
jdang307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jdang307
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

As a PS3 owner, quite a bit :D I dont care about no system wars or anything, but R&C at 7.5 was a travesty, and that game was just plain fun. Plus I don't base my decision on one site, especially on this site. And I am definitely not one of those only Play AAA games, 8,9 is no good people.

But as a new 360 owner, I'm taking a top down approach to metacritic and gamerankings scores. Start at the top and work my way down, ignoring of course multiplats since I've played them all already. 2 years later, and Gamefly still has low availability for Gears of War. Grrrrrr!

Soda-Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Soda-Jack
Member since 2008 • 333 Posts
I use reviews to help with game purchases, but I use metacritic, instead of a single site like GS or IGN. But if there is a niche title (fishing, poker, etc)that I'm interested in, I don't bother with reviews. Niche titles usually always score lower, because they aren't for everyone.
LifeToDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 LifeToDarkness
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts
I never listen to gamespot reviews, maybe Player Reviews but not really.
Kipohippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kipohippo
Member since 2008 • 225 Posts
Never. only player reviews. it's your time, your money. Play what you want.
SirCokerThe9th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SirCokerThe9th
Member since 2008 • 682 Posts
I bought Viking of Asgard knowing that gamespot gave it a 5/10. I beat the game in days because i couldn't stop playing it was sooooo much fun. I loved it. I will never go by reviews again.
MysteryMarioX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MysteryMarioX
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I don't care about the rating, as long as I have fun, it's all that counts. For example, I played the other GTA games and like it, so I will enjoy GTA IV.
WeaponX295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WeaponX295
Member since 2008 • 102 Posts

I use reviews to get an Idea of how good or bad the game will be. Also since reviews are predominately based on opinion i don't normally trust only one review. I check the gamespot score, watch them review the game on X-Play, read EGM and then glance at the user scores just to get an Idea. I'm normally skeptical if a game gets a really high score or if a high profile game is given a low score. Player reviews are normally skewed as well if someone likes the game they give it a 10 and if they hate it they give it a 1. Basically if your wondering about a game should compare the scores from various reviewers and see what some of the players have to say before devoting yourself to that title.