How much better does an HDMI cable make 360 games look?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PhoenixVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 PhoenixVenom
Member since 2008 • 706 Posts

is it significantly better? or just little better? and does it also depend on the game, do some games look better with it than others?

Avatar image for theintrospect79
theintrospect79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2 theintrospect79
Member since 2004 • 2796 Posts

If you are currently using composite cables, then yes, A LOT better. But the argument still stands on whether component or HDMI is better for 360. IMO it depends on the tv.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

Numerous factors are involved. It depends on your TV set, and some games have a minimal visual enhancement when using the cables. Like if you're playing a game like Gears Of War 2 on an HDTV without the HDMI cables, you'll pretty much get the same performance. I've played MW2 on a regular TV with no HDMI, then I bought the game went home and played it on my HD with HDMI cords and it was significantly better.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DranzarTypeF

It also enhances sound. 10 times out of 10 HDMI cable digital input will be better than a regular audio cable.

oclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 oclane
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts

as the user before me said the HDMI lead would be much better ecpecialy over a composite cable you would get full 1080p support although i havent noticed a great difference from my VGA setup just a bit clearer i suppose

PhoenixVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PhoenixVenom
Member since 2008 • 706 Posts

Numerous factors are involved. It depends on your TV set, and some games have a minimal visual enhancement when using the cables. Like if you're playing a game like Gears Of War 2 on an HDTV without the HDMI cables, you'll pretty much get the same performance. I've played MW2 on a regular TV with no HDMI, then I bought the game went home and played it on my HD with HDMI cords and it was significantly better.

DranzarTypeF

i was asking cause i just got a new tv, toshiba 40rv525r, so i was wondering if the hdmi was worth it or if it is just another uneeded accessory as a ploy to spendmore money instead of keeping ur money

deadbeat2381

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deadbeat2381
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

the HDMI vs the regular non HD cords that come with an arcade, there is a huge difference, but between the HDMI and the component HD cables there is barely any difference at all...the average eye prob wont notice the difference...if you have an xbox that doesnt support HDMI than its not worth buyin a new xbox...but if u have HDMI port on your xbox, i would just buy some HDMI cords off ebay or newegg for like 10 bucks

deadbeat2381

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deadbeat2381
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

here are some cheap ones...no need to buy the microsoft 360 ones bc they are the same thing

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Black-9.8-foot-HDMI-Cable-Set-of-2/2276129/product.html?AID=10654383&PID=3640385&SID=skim355X561

reverend1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 reverend1985
Member since 2009 • 172 Posts

On my LCD TV. I set the HDTV settings to optimal. It set it to 1360x768 via HDMI. THen I set the color enhancement to enhanced and set the HDMI source to auto. Now it looks like im kind of playing on a VGA cable, ye the colors are brilliant and whites stand out more and i can see finer details. So for me its HDMI

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DranzarTypeF

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

PhoenixVenom

i was asking cause i just got a new tv, toshiba 40rv525r, so i was wondering if the hdmi was worth it or if it is just another uneeded accessory as a ploy to spendmore money instead of keeping ur money

If you already have component cables It has been proven that the difference is slight. But HDMI compare to the Arcade bundle cables is a big difference.

Alexi360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Alexi360
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts
Whether this is conincidence or not, I'm not sure, but I got the E74 error, which is to do with the AV port, the first time I ever used an HDMI cable with my xbox after using the component cables for almost two years with no problems. Also one of my flatmate's Xbox was working fine until he tried it with HDMI, a different cable the one I used when mine broke but he got the E74 about 3 days after starting to use HDMI.
frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#12 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts

I really can not tell too much difference between component and and HDMI. I had my 360 hooked up with VGA before I switched to HDMI and I could really tell no difference at all. If you have a good tv it wont even matter much if you have the component cables and your 360 set to 1080i. My tv deinterlaces so well that you can not tell the difference.

The small difference I found between HDMI, VGA and Component was in how colors appear. With each one I had to set my tv seperatly. I am currently gaming on a Panasonic TCP46g10.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

HDMI looks so much better than non-HDMI. I tested it to just see what it would look like not in 1080i and it was bad. I plugged my PS3 into the same TV w/o using HDMI and it looks not much better than an SD TV.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Especially now, a lot better. I went from component to HDMI as a trial at my girl's house (since she had the first TV I could use that had such a port). Even in GTA 4, the colors were simply significantly better over component cables. Further, the ability for the 360 and TV to talk to each other meant that they could auto-calibrate and decide on optimal resolution and color accuracy, meaning that you're able to see the best picture possible that way. The downside with HDMI is the hardware-level DRM, but it is something we will no doubt have to live with.
violian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 violian
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts

It really depends on the size of your tv too. On my 37", it definatley looks a lot better with HDMI because I could see little artifacts running vertically on the screen with component. But on my 32", I can't see any difference. With VGA, I couldn't tell the difference at all. I'd go with HDMI because you can find Monster Cable HDMI wires on eBay for as little as $15 with shipping. And your setup will be cleaner because HDMI also transmits digital sound. The only reason why I have the $40 VGA cable is because I used to have the older Xbox360 which didn't have the HDMI output.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

HDMI>VGA>Component from what I used with them.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DranzarTypeF

is it significantly better? or just little better? and does it also depend on the game, do some games look better with it than others?

PhoenixVenom

You might even want to try a VGA cable on your computer monitor hooked up with your XBOX 360, It displays very vibrant colors...colors that probably wouldn't be noticed with component cables. For instance lakes, rivers would appear more "gleek", and white is definitely more vibrant as well. An example of VGA output, is the "Windows" logo that loads when you start your computer, very vibrant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5829d9bd191c4
deactivated-5829d9bd191c4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 deactivated-5829d9bd191c4
Member since 2007 • 1294 Posts

I use Component, they do really make a difference compared to composite

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
If your current 360 has an hdmi port, then buy an hdmi cable. Understand that any cable sold in a major retailing establishment such as Best Buy and Walmart will cost WAY more than they are actually worth. Cables like the Monster cables cost $50+ because they know people will buy it. All hdmi cables are basically the same. They either send a signal from point A to point B, or they don't. No if's ands or buts about it. Go on Amazon and buy a cheap 6' cable or however long you need for less than a dollar, literally a dollar. I have like 5 hdmi cables that cost me less than $10 altogether and the ones I use work fantastically and have been for over a year so far. Even if they did break, I could go through over 100 before I reach the price of a single monster cable.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#20 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
From my understanding you're not going to notice a significant improvement unless your set supports 1080p.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I used to sit like 1.5 feet max from my TV because I was using it as a PC monitor. Back then I could notice a difference. Now that've moved the TV to the living room and I sit like 8ft away, I don't think i'd be able to tell a difference.
YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

On my LCD TV. I set the HDTV settings to optimal. It set it to 1360x768 via HDMI. THen I set the color enhancement to enhanced and set the HDMI source to auto. Now it looks like im kind of playing on a VGA cable, ye the colors are brilliant and whites stand out more and i can see finer details. So for me its HDMI

reverend1985
I do this to... Its cripier in 1360x768 then 720p, but limits picture adjustment like VGA. As for Hdmi vs component people never do side by side testing. My boys Vizio has a side by side feature so two inputs SBS in like a 4:3 pulldow aspect ratio. (if you plug in comp then disconnect then plug in Hdmi your not getting a side by side comparison) You can instantly tell the difference. Better detail in darker areas and richer colors. But an OMG diff, no. But better is better.
Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
So good I'm never switching back to composite.