How has the red ring drama changed your opinion of microsoft?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

I know a lot of people are irritated with the quality of the 360 in that it seems to overheat so easily. But, do you have a negative opinion of microsoft because of that, or do you admire the way that they continue to stand behind their product even though they know they screwed up? I personally pick the latter.

charomid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 charomid
Member since 2005 • 901 Posts
it hasnt at all changed my opinion. as im sure MILLIONS of others feel the same way as i do because we still bought the system. so ya i know rrod is a problem, but millions of people still bought and are still buying the system.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

I think it is alittle stupid how they can't make it cool down and it deosn't work anymore.

rockokla4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 rockokla4life
Member since 2004 • 513 Posts
I gave my RROD to my buddy so he could fix it and bought an Arcade WOOT :)
steelhokie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 steelhokie123
Member since 2008 • 227 Posts
I think its stupid that they have the time to upgrade the dashboard and they cant figure out a way to fix the problem. but it is cool that they extended the warranty, so whatever
technofranki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 technofranki
Member since 2005 • 1333 Posts
My opinion of MS haven't changed. It's just a bit irritation when RRoD happens. I sendt in my 4th Xbox before Christmas and I'm getting it back next week.
Rushlimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Rushlimbo
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Wo hold on. witch one? Red ring (2 lights) is over heating. Thats not that much of a problem for me. 3 red lights is ring of death and that is a hardwere failure. It doesn't have anything to do with over heating.
Shadowsociety2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shadowsociety2
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I'm a little irritated by it. I got the red ring of death right before Christmas. Same thing with my friend.I was lucky enough to get a new one thought. My friend not so lucky.
halo3-player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 halo3-player
Member since 2006 • 6036 Posts
it hasnt changed mine becuz it hasnt happenedto me......
KyBoOtEr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KyBoOtEr
Member since 2006 • 314 Posts

I think that the way they handle it is pretty good, but the fact that it happened was not all that great. The new systems seem to be alot better though.

Hopefully they get it right the next time around the first time.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UT_Wrestler
Wo hold on. witch one? Red ring (2 lights) is over heating. Thats not that much of a problem for me. 3 red lights is ring of death and that is a hardwere failure. It doesn't have anything to do with over heating. Rushlimbo
Really? I didn't know that. What does 4 red lights mean?
ihopNESS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ihopNESS
Member since 2008 • 179 Posts

They Need To Upgrade The Xbox To Improve its playability

Hopefully They Would have less Break downs

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UT_Wrestler
[QUOTE="ihopNESS"]

They Need To Upgrade The Xbox To Improve its playability

Hopefully They Would have less Break downs

That's probably on their to-do list for their next-gen console. However, if they were to recall and replace every single console out there right now, their losses would be in the billions.
SteeleInd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 SteeleInd
Member since 2005 • 913 Posts
Wo hold on. witch one? Red ring (2 lights) is over heating. Thats not that much of a problem for me. 3 red lights is ring of death and that is a hardwere failure. It doesn't have anything to do with over heating. Rushlimbo
2 red rings means it overheated and shut itself down to save itself from hardware failure. 3 red rings means hardware failure. about 90% of Hardware failures in the 360 are caused by overheating. Also, to the OP, I think it's great that Microsoft was mature enough to acknowledge that their console had a problem, and extended the warranty.
Iqen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Iqen
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts
I quite admire the fact that Microsoft keeps extending the warranty. But I can't really say that I get irritated about the RRoD because I have never experienced it. I've hade my 360 for 2 and a half years and never had a problem with red rings.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UT_Wrestler
I quite admire the fact that Microsoft keeps extending the warranty. But I can't really say that I get irritated about the RRoD because I have never experienced it. I've hade my 360 for 2 and a half years and never had a problem with red rings.Iqen
I envy you. You are the first person I've talked to that's owned a 360 for over a year and hasn't gotten the red rings.
KillErmarinE15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 KillErmarinE15
Member since 2006 • 1057 Posts

I've had mine for 2 years now and it still runs fine. My first one was just defective and scratched disks first. Then just stopped working all together.

SteeleInd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 SteeleInd
Member since 2005 • 913 Posts
[QUOTE="Rushlimbo"]Wo hold on. witch one? Red ring (2 lights) is over heating. Thats not that much of a problem for me. 3 red lights is ring of death and that is a hardwere failure. It doesn't have anything to do with over heating. UT_Wrestler
Really? I didn't know that. What does 4 red lights mean?

4 red lights means you don't have the A/V cable properly attached to the back of the Xbox.
Fumetsu_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fumetsu_cloud
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Didn't really change my opinion about M$. I always thought it was a garbage system but that's where the games are so yea. I finally got the red rings a few months ago on a falcon chip model. The impressive thing was that they sent in a replacement after about 2 days! I always read that it took months but that was awesome and I didn't miss any playtime. ^_^
nelpi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nelpi
Member since 2006 • 31 Posts

I think that its a fair deal to be guaranteed that your system will last at least three years, thats 200 dollars for 3 years, pretty fair in my opinion,

so I know its a pain to send the system to MS for repairs but anyway that is ok at least they do it for free and doesnt take forever.

The cheapest, and best system(regarding games variety and quality) should make it up for its terrible architecture. IMO

UNFALL3Nangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UNFALL3Nangel
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Microsoft is usually a fair company, theres a problem they fix it. In my opinion, Its more the players fault then Microsofts, if you wouldn't play it so muc, red rings wouldn't happen to you. However, I greatly enjoy playing mine for long periods of time, but never gotten red rings. I'm sorry for all of you who have though.
orbis_mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 orbis_mortis
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts
My opinion of MS has never been very good, and the red ring drama has just made it worse.
ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts

it's a love/hate thing. the system has so many great games and a great online service.... but hardware is abysmally flawed.... it makes me not want to support microsoft after this generation.

i never like MS too much though.

kinjo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kinjo13
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts
I am on my 3rd one, it takes about a week and a half to get your system back here on the east coast. I am a 3 system owner so when the 360 is away the ps3/wii will play. what irritates me is the system has other flaws that microsoft is not willing to address. A few weeks ago my nephew picked up my 360 to see the connections on the back while I was playing deadspace, needless to say I can't play that game anymore, lucky I was already on my second round.
zeorshadow19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zeorshadow19
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts
No it hasn't. When I got the ring my 360 came back quicker than I thought it was going to.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I never thought highly of Microsoft in the first place. A 3 year warranty is all well and good, but I'd prefer it if they didn't rush the console in the first place just so they could try and beat *ony and *intendo.
Avatar image for KaotiK_un_basic
KaotiK_un_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KaotiK_un_basic
Member since 2002 • 2128 Posts
i always thought they were scum. with how they try and nickle and dime you for every pathetic thing on live.. really? common now, the sheep aren't that dumb, are they? (apperently they are, cause somebody must buy DLC for them to try to keep selling it.) or how about valve wanting to release dlc for free, but M$ not allowing them to, and wanting them to charge for it. yup, what a pathetic greedy company.. they make a decent machine (if it works) but they are really trying to ruin gaming charging for every little thing. hate micro$oft, but love 360 /sorry went a little ot there.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#29 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I can't really say it changed my opinion on Microsoft when I didnt really have one to begin with. I don't really care about computers and I only had the original X-box a year and a half before picking up a 360. And I didnt play much of the original x-box. The rrod does really piss me off. I've gotten it three times and I've barely had my 360 for a little over a year now. Then again though, all of my repair have been completly free so I can't really say it's been anything more than a minor inconveniance. If nothing else I can be glad the console has a butt load of great games.
im2cool123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 im2cool123
Member since 2008 • 143 Posts
i have gotthr rrod 3 times, i just turned of my xbox and on gain and it worked fine, but i got like a 3 year warranty in 2008 so that enough time for the new xbox im guessing, so im good
gamegod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamegod
Member since 2002 • 2497 Posts

i dont trust the build quality of the systems so i know that if i want to buy any console that microsoft makes then i better get a warranty.

ownzone55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ownzone55
Member since 2007 • 557 Posts

I don't reall care when my 360 gets rrod. Just wait a couple weeks and im fine with it. 360 is the best console its so fun.

It does change my opion of micrsoft. Lousy customer service and hardware. Imagine if apple made video game systems.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Hasn't changed my opinion on MS. I still play my 360 and I still use Windows like everyday of the week. I wish the hardware was more reliable, but what can I do about it?
MithCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MithCo
Member since 2007 • 191 Posts

They should put it like this: ...if you are lucky enough to get the happy rings of happiness,

you can go pick up a brand new system plus a game of your choice in the nearest shop,

we love you thx for playing. Think about it .

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
I think its stupid that they have the time to upgrade the dashboard and they cant figure out a way to fix the problem. but it is cool that they extended the warranty, so whateversteelhokie123
NXE = software related. RRoD = hardware related. They have separate departments doing different things, Microsoft isn't just one group of universally talented individuals.
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
I think the next console will be a lot more reliable after this, but I believe the whole process was pretty smooth, my system lasted two years which has been the norm with the exception of my first PS3 which crapped the bed in 3 months.
stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#37 stupid4
Member since 2008 • 3695 Posts
How long is the warranty for a 360? And if I did get the red ring of death who should I take it into?
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
How long is the warranty for a 360? And if I did get the red ring of death who should I take it into?stupid4
Three years, and you have to send it to M$.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
This console was broken at launch and released purely to gain market share. It was worth the massive expense to gain an ill-gotten lead over the PS3 in the long run. It wasn' until the Jasper chipset launch that the hardware has finally become reliable. They should have moved to a 65nm process 2 years ago, should not have built a console with semi-passive cooling (It should blow air over the heatsink, not suck air away from it), and spent more time developing a console that wouldn't have a massive failure rate. This is the first console (or computer for that matter) that I had ever worried about becoming non-functional due to technical difficiencies. That said, the move to the Jasper chipset made me a 360 owner once more ;)
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
[QUOTE="stupid4"]How long is the warranty for a 360? And if I did get the red ring of death who should I take it into?Kuruption84
Three years, and you have to send it to M$.

Note: The 3 year warranty only applies to RROD failures, not other issues.