How do you rent games? Blockbuster, gamefly, something else?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

raydog44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 raydog44
Member since 2006 • 248 Posts

I read this forum everyday and I see a lot of you say you will rent a game instead of buy it. With all the great games coming out in the next few months I was curious how you rent your games. Do you just go to blockbuster? If yes then how does 3-5 days satisfy you? If you are not in school then this is not enough time to beat a solid rpg game or fps.

Do you use Gamefly? If yes can you please tell me if it is worth it? I am thinking about this service but I am a little hesitant. How fast can you get a new game that just came out, are they normally out of stock. Like will Star Wars be hard to get or GOW2? Are you satisfied with the service?

I am an older gamer, 29, and have other priorities in life but I do like to buy solid games. However, a lot of solid games IMO are coming out on top of each other so i was wondering if renting through Gamefly was a wise choice and better monetary option rather then spending $60 beans then trying to resale it on ebay sometime later.

SuperIntendent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SuperIntendent
Member since 2002 • 644 Posts

I do the Blockbuster Premium Online. I get 3 movies out at a time but I also get 1 Movie/Game coupon online that can be used at the store. I usually hold the game for like 3 weeks before I return it back, no charge or anything.

I held COD4 forever, longer than the 1 month and you buy it thing, and still got my money back.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I use Blockbuster, and over here you get the games for a full week for $10. That seems pretty good to me since you can beat most games within that time frame. Hell, I would've been done with your average shooter after the first day. I'm midway through my rental of Tales of Vesperia and I think I'll finish it for when I have to return it.

I don't really have other priorities in life, but I buy too many games for what I actually have time for. Only recently have I realized this problem. I bought Soul Calibur IV, that's 60 bucks right there, and I haven't played it after the first day I got it. No time to put in to figure out Ivy :) So most games will be rental for now on unless I plan to play multiplayer or it's long enough that I won't finish it in a rental.

dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 dukebd699
Member since 2006 • 12054 Posts
Gamefly and I love it. Yes it is wroth it. They send them out the day they come out and if you don't rent it right away then it can be hard to rent new games. Once a game has been out for over a month there's not much difficulty at all usually. It takes 2 days each way so it's quick as well.
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 dukebd699
Member since 2006 • 12054 Posts
Also, if you like the game, they sell them alot cheaper. I have the option to buy Mercs 2 right now for 44.09
Czenkus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Czenkus
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts
I use gamefly, sometiumes I run to the local store when I dont wanna wait for a shipping. Hving Gamefly and Netflix def did change my routines in life though :D
XXMadManVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 XXMadManVII
Member since 2006 • 828 Posts
I have used Gamefly since I got my 360 at launch. I love the service. You can keep the game for as long as you want and if you decide to keep it, you get it cheaper than anywhere I have seen and they send you the case and instruction manual along with the next game in your queue. You also get incentives for being a member for an extended period of time. Since I have been a member for over a year, I get 5 gamefly dollars every 3 months (they dont stack, unfortunatly) and 10% of purchases. For example, I have RB6V2 rented right now. If I wanted to keep it, it would only cost me $28.59 with free shipping. The only downside to the service is that it might take awhile to get a newly released game. I have had NG2 on the top of my list since release, but have not gotten it yet, however I did get Civ:Rev the same week it came out. Its all about the popularity of the game. As for turn around; it takes about 3 days to receive a new game after I sent one back. This is dependant on how close you are to the distro center. I live in near D.C. and get my games from Pittsburg, so that is not to bad IMO. I would highly recommend Gamefly to anyone.
fracot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 fracot
Member since 2006 • 1278 Posts
Im in the UK and I just started renting from blockbuster and its really cheap. I just rented SC4 last week and I've done all I want in it and today im takign it back and getting mercs 2. I dont know about renting websites but I wouldnt do that as I can never rely on post. Its nice to just travel down to blockbuster and pick up a cheap game for a week...thats what I'll be doing with all these new releases...althoughh I admit it took me a very long time to start renting :P
PANDAmoniumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PANDAmoniumm
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
i use blockbuster, but i can never get the games i want. i've been waiting for the orange box for almost 2 weeks now, and it still hasn't come back. they need to get more copies, and start focusing on game rentals, because that is the one thing they can get the most money from, especially since i have blockbuster online, and plan on switching to netflix when the dashboard update comes out.
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

Im in the UK and I just started renting from blockbuster and its really cheap. I just rented SC4 last week and I've done all I want in it and today im takign it back and getting mercs 2. I dont know about renting websites but I wouldnt do that as I can never rely on post. Its nice to just travel down to blockbuster and pick up a cheap game for a week...thats what I'll be doing with all these new releases...althoughh I admit it took me a very long time to start renting :Pfracot

I'm in the UK too but I havn't rented from Blockbuster in years, in fact the last time I rented a game was back in 1994 for my Sega MegaDrive lol.

I've been using LoveFilm for the past 2 years to rent DVD's and games. For £14.99 a month I can rent 3 movies or a combination of games and films or just games. There is no limit on the rentals and they come pretty quick by post. I havn't had any issues with renturing faulty or even broken discs. Its a great service.

dawso0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dawso0n
Member since 2005 • 1767 Posts
i rented heavenly sword from blockbuster and it had like a million sctaches and loads of fingerprints on the disk needless to say im never renting again only the best for my consoles
Bombed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Bombed420
Member since 2002 • 230 Posts

Game Fly has ups and downs, just like any other renting company. My biggest gripe with them was the down time in waiting for a game. It took atleast 3 days before a game even arrived, and that was if it was an older title. The new titles you can expect to wait up to a week and half before you even recieve it. This coupled with a 21 dollar price tag a month was the main reason I cancelled my subscription.

Everyone has different needs though. I like to consider a hard core gamer, so I expected more bang for the buck, but if you don't mind renting around two games a month, then by all means go for it. Otherwise, blockuster is the better alternative, that is if you have a nice selection of them where you live.

NOD_Grindking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 NOD_Grindking
Member since 2004 • 2778 Posts
Check out www.goozex.com! Trade your old games for points towards new games! You Get A LOT more value out of your games!
Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts
Join Xboxlive diamond and just print out those hollywod video Rent 1 get 1 free coupons (you get as many as you want!) and they work for movies too!
kyletoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kyletoker
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts

I read this forum everyday and I see a lot of you say you will rent a game instead of buy it. With all the great games coming out in the next few months I was curious how you rent your games. Do you just go to blockbuster? If yes then how does 3-5 days satisfy you? If you are not in school then this is not enough time to beat a solid rpg game or fps.

Do you use Gamefly? If yes can you please tell me if it is worth it? I am thinking about this service but I am a little hesitant. How fast can you get a new game that just came out, are they normally out of stock. Like will Star Wars be hard to get or GOW2? Are you satisfied with the service?

I am an older gamer, 29, and have other priorities in life but I do like to buy solid games. However, a lot of solid games IMO are coming out on top of each other so i was wondering if renting through Gamefly was a wise choice and better monetary option rather then spending $60 beans then trying to resale it on ebay sometime later.

raydog44
i go to blockbuster but i live in canada where we still dont have late fees so i keep my games for up to 6 weeks