How do I make myself appear offline before I sign into XBL?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zero_X5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Zero_X5213
Member since 2005 • 481 Posts

I know how to make myself appear offline, But do I have to sign into XBL before I can do it?

Most people see me sign in then immediately sign out, thus letting them know im on.

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#2 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3544 Posts

There is an option somewhere in settings to disable the Auto-login when you turn your 360 on.

Can't remember where exactly, haven't used it for a while.

synce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 synce
Member since 2004 • 771 Posts
What kind of friends are those? To answer your question, just do what you normally do to make yourself appear offline, except do it before logging in.
Carbon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Carbon_
Member since 2006 • 1491 Posts
Well, there isn't really a way to do that. Why don't you just take them off your list, if you don't want them seeing you online?
ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 ParkCarsHere
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts

Well, there isn't really a way to do that. Why don't you just take them off your list, if you don't want them seeing you online?Carbon_

It's probably more because he wants to play single player or something where friends keep inviting him to join games. I Appear Offline all the time because sometimes I just want to be able to play a game by myself rather then be invited to a bunch of games and have to change my plans for gaming. He doesn't want them off his friends list, he just wants to choose when they see him on and when they don't.

Callan_G755

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Callan_G755
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Do it the same way as you would if you were on xbl.... just when you aren't
Bebop_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bebop_Blue
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
You have to do what do guys up above said. Disable auto login on startup, and then when you turn you 360 on you'll have to go into the xbox guide>Personal Settings>Online Status>Appear Offline. Then sign into LIVE.
B4RB3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 B4RB3R
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Do just exactly what 'Bebop_Blue' said and to turn off Auto Sign In just press guide button > Go along to media > Go onto profile > Go right to the bottom and Press Auto Sign In > It will come up with Xbox Live : Enabled/Disabled Make sure disabled is checked
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
You can also go to your privacy settings and set No One be able to see your Online Status. Those are the guys who Always have the 'Offline' status. I personally think it sucks.
KillerLee28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KillerLee28
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I know the original question is from 2007... but you CAN set yourself permanently offline. And the reason I do it is because I just don't want to be bothered all the time. I don't like the chat, party and game invites from people when I'm playing other games. The only thing that sucks is that no available option is great. I wish you could set it to offline as default and be able to easily set it back to online when you want to play. Oh well, here are your options: 1. Set yourself permanently offline (My Xbox, Profile, Online Safety Tab, Change Settings, Customize...then you can set your online status to show to Everyone, Only Friends, or Blocked) 2. Sign in then set it to show offline (Xbox controller center button, Settings Tab, Preferences, Online Status) 3. Set it to not auto log in, set it offline, then log in manually each time (Xbox controller center button, Settings Tab, Profile, Sign-In Preferences)
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

i know its an old thread but it annoys me when you get requests for party chat right after you sign in. i never want to party chat while playing a single player or different game.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

yeah best way is to disable the auto login. After that you can set your status to offline and then sign in which will prevent your name from popping up to your friends. Warning though its still quite easy to tell that a person is online even if your status is set to offline.

1. Signing in resets the offline timer. So if your GT was saying you've been offline for 4 hours and it will change to just offline

2.Your GT will continue to show your last played game so if that changes people will know your on.

I have extremely annoying friends that are so desperate to play with me that they investigate my GT to see if im on so i know exactly how you feel.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
I kind of have this dilemma myself. I know the option to always appear offline, and I don't want that. I'm going to try the option to turn off Auto-Login, but you're sure that I can set to appear offline before I sign in? I figured that I couldn't do that until I signed in. And that it would be all moot anyway because once I sign in, I notify the whole world that I'm online anyway before getting the chance to set myself to appear offline. At which point people start sending me party requests. I never understood why they never gave us the option to automatically appear offline or keep your "appear offline" status whenever you sign in.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gen007

I kind of have this dilemma myself. I know the option to always appear offline, and I don't want that. I'm going to try the option to turn off Auto-Login, but you're sure that I can set to appear offline before I sign in? I figured that I couldn't do that until I signed in. And that it would be all moot anyway because once I sign in, I notify the whole world that I'm online anyway before getting the chance to set myself to appear offline. At which point people start sending me party requests. I never understood why they never gave us the option to automatically appear offline or keep your "appear offline" status whenever you sign in.DJ_Magneto

yes you can set your preference to offline before you even sign in that's why you have to turn off the auto log in so that you have a chance to set it. This way you never show up as online to your friends. Like i said though there are still ways for people to tell you that your online.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DJ_Magneto
After thinking about it, I guess I should just set myself to use the option to permanently appear offline. Because when I do want to appear online, I'll just reset that option. I would have to change an option to appear online anyway despite whatever method I choose to appear offline.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gen007

After thinking about it, I guess I should just set myself to use the option to permanently appear offline. Because when I do want to appear online, I'll just reset that option. I would have to change an option to appear online anyway despite whatever method I choose to appear offline.DJ_Magneto

I dont think there is a way to permenantly appear offline. Even when you have auto log in off you still have to set your status to offline everytime.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DJ_Magneto

[QUOTE="DJ_Magneto"]I kind of have this dilemma myself. I know the option to always appear offline, and I don't want that. I'm going to try the option to turn off Auto-Login, but you're sure that I can set to appear offline before I sign in? I figured that I couldn't do that until I signed in. And that it would be all moot anyway because once I sign in, I notify the whole world that I'm online anyway before getting the chance to set myself to appear offline. At which point people start sending me party requests. I never understood why they never gave us the option to automatically appear offline or keep your "appear offline" status whenever you sign in.Gen007

yes you can set your preference to offline before you even sign in that's why you have to turn off the auto log in so that you have a chance to set it. This way you never show up as online to your friends. Like i said though there are still ways for people to tell you that your online.

I missed this post before I posted the previous one. Anyway, I'll try turning off auto login first. Thanks for the tip. If there are roundabout ways for people to find that I'm online through Xbox.com I don't mind. I just don't like announcing to everyone that I've turned on my Xbox. Especially if I sign in late and there are people that I work with that are still on. Or friends that get easily offended if I don't respond to their messages or requests.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ_Magneto

[QUOTE="DJ_Magneto"]After thinking about it, I guess I should just set myself to use the option to permanently appear offline. Because when I do want to appear online, I'll just reset that option. I would have to change an option to appear online anyway despite whatever method I choose to appear offline.Gen007

I dont think there is a way to permenantly appear offline. Even when you have auto log in off you still have to set your status to offline everytime.

I was referring to the first option that KillerLee28 mentioned. To block your status.