hdmi + optical?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mach-stem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mach-stem
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 360, and I thought I could put a hdmi cable for video and a optical cable for my 5.1 surround sound, but because the rather large and obstructive adapter that includes the RCA/RGB/optical connections covers the hdmi port, I cannot get my hdmi cable I purchased to plug in as well.

I was hoping I could split the signals; have the video running through hdmi for 1080p resolution and run my optical to my receiver for my 5.1 DTS/DD. I noticed M$ charges something like 50$ for their hdmi cable, but my questions are the following:

a) will they both plug into the x360?

b) can i split the audio/video in terms of source; video to come from hdmi but not audio; audio comes out of optical

Thanks for the input!

xvramon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 xvramon
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts
buy this if you want to do ithttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8479158&type=product&id=1185267959809
Desperados11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Desperados11
Member since 2004 • 525 Posts

what ur saying is the hdmi cable u have won't go in the 360 output because the multi output required for the optical output takes too much space and is in the way of the hdmi output?

also, yes you can use the audio from the optical and the video from hdmi

u can even use the tv output for ur sound, hdmi carries audio and video signal with it so if u have an optical output on ur tv u can just run an optical cable from ur tv to ur sound system and it'll play in 5.1 i believe

it's worth a shot instead of buying the 50 bucks cable from ms

ganjasmugglin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ganjasmugglin
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts

Buy a used audio pack at GStop. They are like ten bucks and you can split them. Other wise if your reciever has hdmi passtrough do it that way you only use one cable.

mach-stem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mach-stem

desperados11, yes. That is what I am saying. The multi-output is too bulky and prevent me from having both the hdmi and it plugged in.

I think I will do as a you wrote: use an optical from the TV into the receiver, but keep the HDMI into the TV. I think that should work, I only need to run a little config on my TV to allow the output. Thanks.

XFilthX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XFilthX
Member since 2006 • 498 Posts

I just used the HDMI cable that came with my Elite, so I had no problem with it.

But yes, most definitely can you use the HDMI cable for video and the optical cable for audio.

mach-stem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mach-stem

So, here is what I did, but I still am having another issue now:

I have an HDMI running from the x360 to my TV; the x360 automaticaly sets itself to 1080p

I have an optical running from the TV's optical output to the receiver; the receiver detects the digital signal, plays the sound, but only in Dolby Digital stereo, and not 5.1. Is it possible the TV is preventing the 5.1 from running to my receiver? I know for a fact the x360 received the 5.1 signal when using the multi-output connector and component.

Has anyone else run into this issue? For reference, my TV is a Samsung 40inch 1080p, 60hz.

XFilthX: when you say the HDMI provided with your x360, what kind of "end" plugs into the x360? Is it an L shape allowing for the bulky multi-output connector to fit along with the HDMI adapter? That is my problem right now.

Thanks for the input

PEACE

Cow13_02_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cow13_02_basic
Member since 2002 • 4919 Posts
I used a small screwdriver to remove the gray casing from my AV cables. They still work the same, but now they don't obstruct the HDMI port.
Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hawkeye747
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

I assume your home theatre sound system does not have an HDMI in connection? If it does, that would solve all your problems I think... go from the 360 to the receiver, then a seperate HDMI from the output to the TV.

Otherwise, it sounds like you are losing the 5.1 between the TV and the receiver...not sure how to fix that except to experiment with the audio settings on your TV.

I just read my post and realised I was no help at all HAHAHAH sorry man... I have an old school 360... doesn't even have the HDMI output... but I do have wicked surround sound with the other cable.

EDIT The guy who posted the best buy link up near the top, that looks like just what you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mach-stem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mach-stem

Thanks for the help guys.

Yes, you assumed right in regards to my receiver. I have a DD 5.1 optical(2) and coaxial(2) receiver, but not hdmi inputs/outputs. My only HDMI device (so far) is the 360 Pro (i.e. the newer model).

I caved and purchased M$'s kit, the one from the BestBuy link. (thanks BTW) Yet another example of M$ making their money. :) All they had to do, and obviously they could, was bundle a multi-output adapter with the newer Pro model, which didn't block the HDMI port. Or place the HDMI elsewhere. :p

And yes, I realized that my TV, having only 2-channel, will output digital optical to my receiver, but only 2 channel. I would need a converter, most likely. A converter plus all the cables will probably cost me more than the 59$ kit M$ is selling.

It now works.

PEACE

thebirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thebirk
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hi

I have kinda the same problem, but with a twist.

I simply want to run hdmi to my projector and optical to my receiver.

hdml runs fine, however when I plug in the AV cable with the optical out, the hdmi signal vanishes.

I have a non-Microsoft AV Cable with all kinds of outlets (component, composite, s-video, …,) but i only use the optical.

Any clues anyone?

Thebirk / Denmark