HDMI lag vs. Component lag

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Triksta6 (69 posts) -

I recently bought a new Xbox 360 Elite and I have an HDTV. My past Xbox 360 didn't have an HDMI port on the back and my new Elite does. I changed by system from using HD with component cables to using HD with HDMI cables. Would this change the lag output on my tv? I'm just wondering because I finally found lag settings that worked on Rock Band 2 and now im using HDMI cables and it feels different. Is it just me or should I change my settings?

#2 Posted by penpusher (3573 posts) -

lag? what are you on about? there is no lag in a modern cable even S video doesnt have any lag :S

can you elaborate?

#3 Posted by jelloblimp (260 posts) -

As the previous poster mentioned cables have no lag. It's your tv that adds lag because of picture processing, called something like"enhancement(s)" in the maual.

Turn off anything that "improves picture quality" in the tv-settings, they are completely useless for gaming (even detrimental as you have noticed because of the added lag).

Unfortunetly some tv:s have no option for turning off those functions.

#4 Posted by Triksta6 (69 posts) -
[QUOTE="jelloblimp"]

As the previous poster mentioned cables have no lag. It's your tv that adds lag because of picture processing, called something like"enhancement(s)" in the maual.

Turn off anything that "improves picture quality" in the tv-settings, they are completely useless for gaming (even detrimental as you have noticed because of the added lag).

Unfortunetly some tv:s have no option for turning off those functions.

yeah but i was wondering if the cables would change any output of my tv to make the lag worse? i know cables dont have lag themselves... sorry if i worded it weird. but i was just wondering if my tv could have a different lag output if different cables are used.
#5 Posted by penpusher (3573 posts) -

i dont mean to sound nasty but how could you not understand the last post? calbes have NO LAG, how can something with no lag increase lag on the tv?

you've been given a perfecty good explanation by the dude who posted after me just turn of any image enhancment and it'l be fine, like noise reduction for example if you have the option to then put it on auto, if not turn it off, stuff like that

#6 Posted by BigD (2223 posts) -
If your TV handles image processing differently on each input, than yeah you would need to recalibrate... this problem is totally TV dependent. So see what your manual/forums say about your TV and input lag.
#7 Posted by slooog46669 (25 posts) -
I think i understand why the OP might be confused because I was curious about this not too long ago as well. I know that the cables themselves have no lag issuses and what not, but as far as hdmi goes if a cable cant have lag then why is there difference in hdmi cables? like 2.23GBps hdmi vs the 15.8 GBps hdmi cables. If there is technically no lag from the first batch of hdmi, why make a faster ones?
#8 Posted by DJBisGOD (25 posts) -
I know exactly what Triksta6 is talking about, because I was in the similar situation as him. The first 360 I had was a Premium (US Import) so I used Component to connect my 360 to my TV. However it died and I got a 360 Elite instead. Since the Elite had HDMI I thought it would be silly NOT to use it, so I change from Component to HDMI. Now, I only started playing Guitar Hero / Rock Band on Guitar (because I couldnt afford to import the drumset at the time) so i suppose I just thought that was how the game was. It didnt look out of sync or nothing like that. The same thing happened with I finally got a Guitar Hero World Tour Kit (playing Guitar Hero). However I noticed when playing Rock Band (when it come up freestyle parts within songs) how badly out of sync it was with HDMI. What I ended up doing was going back to Component, and its the way it should be now, when you play in the freestyle parts its actually in sync again :) If anyone wants to know, my TV is a 37 inch LG LCD TV.
#9 Posted by ryanduvall (1291 posts) -

The problem is exactly as stated before. Your TV processor is probably just slower with HDMI than component (or the opposite). It has nothing to do with settings on the XBOX or the cables you use. Just disable the noise reduction, or video enhancement on your TV. My Samsung calls it Digital noise reduction. Sometimes it interferes with lag. It is in your best interest to disable that because it will not affect the quality of the Xbox anyways. Also, samsungs have a game mode, im sure the LG does aswell. Turning this on with my tv brings the lag on rockband/guitar hero to 0ms (sometimes 1 to 2 ms)

#10 Posted by 93soccer (4602 posts) -
Buddy cable doesn't add lag, Tv adds lag. Turn off stuff you don't need for gaming and if it has a "game mode" put it on that.
#11 Posted by XRED_0 (775 posts) -
Just wanted to add that cables can most definitely add lag, but for the ordinary every-day setup you won't see it. Every cable is only guaranteed to work for a certain amount of distance before picture quality and/or signal timing diminish. Of course, this really isn't seen with average home theaters/TVs because of the distance of the cable. Actual home theater rooms, for example, need to be thoroughly calibrated to accommodate for this. I've seen this first hand too. I helped my dad install 2 identical LCD TVs in his basement, one on either side of the room (~108'). We had to delay the signal to the TV that was directly next to the source in order for both TVs to match up with the amplifier speaker audio. Different cable materials can add lag too. A signal traveling in an optical toslink cable (light reflections) travels much differently than traveling thru a stereo composite cable (electrons thru metal).
#12 Posted by DazedDarkness (2261 posts) -

I agree with this guy, my 360 with HDMI lags, when I use the HDMI cables, I don't know why, It's like my TV will say "Pleas wait..." andthe 360 Picture comes up about 5 secs late, to the point where I don't even see t full 360 intro.

#13 Posted by Triksta6 (69 posts) -

Yeah lol, thanks for agreeing with me. I know its a little late to say this but I thought this thread was dead months ago lol. But I'm still glad to see someone understands what I was trying to say!

#14 Posted by xgraderx (2395 posts) -

Some interesting things being said here.

#15 Posted by Dante2710 (63147 posts) -

here is prob why:

1. you have an old HDTV

2. Some TVs are better at up-scalling games than others

3. You TV native resolution is lower than the 360`s settings you are using.

I actually dont know of any solution, if you buy an HDTV at least make sure its suited for your console, or better yet, get a computer monitor with an HDMI port.

#16 Posted by strawberry9 (875 posts) -
fail!!! lol
#17 Posted by cjnborn (25 posts) -
OK, so everyone's arguing about whether or not HDMI cables cause lag with the Xbox 360. I hate to say to all the naysayers, there CAN be... not so much a lag as in what you get when your internet connection is slow, as much as a slower REACTION time when using HDMI cables.I had been using component cables on my Xbox 360 for a year, and then decided to switch to HDMI. I was amazed at the difference in clarity of picture, but soon noticed that my reaction time was much slower that it had been previously. I asked for advice online and someone explained it to me like this. When you use component cables, you have 3 individual signal inputs. With HDMI there is only one, so the signal is sometimes stronger when using component cables. He told me where to go online to find possible help in fixing this problem, but I don't remember where that is. I figured that I might find that help in this forum, and unfortunately just found other people as perplexed by this problem as I am.